Aurora Fleet
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Current Year: 2379

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» *poking the fleet part deux*
A Chance Encounter [Gavin/Zero] I_icon_minitimeby Archangel T'Koris Thu Jul 15, 2021 12:57 pm

» Isn't this a fine kettle of fish?
A Chance Encounter [Gavin/Zero] I_icon_minitimeby Archangel T'Koris Sat Dec 17, 2016 5:36 am

» *pokes the fleet*
A Chance Encounter [Gavin/Zero] I_icon_minitimeby Julia Rellek Sat Nov 12, 2016 12:23 am

» Hrafn is back (sort of)
A Chance Encounter [Gavin/Zero] I_icon_minitimeby Archangel T'Koris Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:00 pm

» Merger
A Chance Encounter [Gavin/Zero] I_icon_minitimeby Archangel T'Koris Fri May 06, 2016 7:04 pm

» Uninvited Guests [Zero / Leela]
A Chance Encounter [Gavin/Zero] I_icon_minitimeby Zero Alpha Wed May 04, 2016 4:50 pm

» Seeing Clearly
A Chance Encounter [Gavin/Zero] I_icon_minitimeby Archangel T'Koris Wed May 04, 2016 4:42 pm

» Season 2, Mission 2: Light the Way
A Chance Encounter [Gavin/Zero] I_icon_minitimeby Elena Tarunt Tue May 03, 2016 10:37 pm

» FACECLAIMS
A Chance Encounter [Gavin/Zero] I_icon_minitimeby Guest Tue May 03, 2016 12:24 pm

» Application:John Brown
A Chance Encounter [Gavin/Zero] I_icon_minitimeby Julia Rellek Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:08 am

Affiliates

A Chance Encounter [Gavin/Zero]

Go down 
2 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Zero Alpha
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Holodiction
Best Duo
Medal of Commendation
Completed Plot and Bio Page
Participated in the first mission

A Chance Encounter [Gavin/Zero] Empty
PostSubject: A Chance Encounter [Gavin/Zero]   A Chance Encounter [Gavin/Zero] I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 08, 2014 7:42 pm

[Starfleet Medical - San Francisco]

This section of Starfleet Medical was always quiet. It wasn't open to the public, nor was it particularly frequented even by the majority of the medical staff. This was a research facility, where patients with interesting or new diseases, or even those undergoing not-quite-sanctioned and extremely experimental procedures.

The long corridors were quiet, the series of doors punctuated by the occasional doctor or nurse having a whispered conversation with a colleague as they looked into one of the large, one-way windows that was the facility's attempt at offering their patients a semblance of privacy while ensuring that they didn't.

Through one of those windows, a very pale young woman lay on her back on the hospital bed, staring up at the ceiling, absent-mindedly solving equations inside her head to pass the time.

Zero Alpha never knew why she had been pulled from the Phoenix. The communication had just come in one day, ordering her return to San Francisco. She had quietly packed her bags and left, not even saying goodbye to Gavin. She felt a slight twinge of regret at that, a sensation that she wasn't sure that she understood, but that was the closest explanation she could find. She didn't even have the pleasure of Ghost's company now. She had returned the white canine to his original owner, Rachel Deacon, for the time being. Maybe if she ever got out of here again, she would try to get him back. She missed that pile of fur.
Back to top Go down
Gavin Van Gelder
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Starfleet Starfleet Award of Merit Sciences
Best Couple

PostSubject: Re: A Chance Encounter [Gavin/Zero]   A Chance Encounter [Gavin/Zero] I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 09, 2014 7:58 am

Walking the corridors of Starfleet Medical, Gavin had wandered in a mostly random direction, the sullen look on his face enough to tell the tale of just how he was feeling at the moment. I wonder if anyone has a can that I can kick down the hallway, he thought, smiling briefly at the mental image. The meeting with his father, the first one since Gavin's departmental switch to Sciences, had gone just about as expected. Only, there hadn't been as much explosive yelling as he would have expected. His father had just been...quietly, but steadfastly...disappointed in him. That had almost been worse.

He almost wished that the ship had been directed to the Athena instead of Earth for the command staff's debriefing of the theft incident. It would have been easier to put off his father's calls over subspace. Now, though, he found himself wandering halls that he practically had grown up in, knowing now that, barring any unforseen circumstances, his future would not be in this world. He didn't really regret it too much, though. How could he have lived with himself, acting as a double-agent like in some holonovel, reporting on Zero Alpha's intimate movements?

God, he thought, looking in one of the hospital rooms and shaking his head. That damn fool girl must be on my brain, because it seems like I'm seeing her everywhere. He took a few more steps, and then turned abruptly, looking back in the window. "The hell...?" he muttered, his eyebrows raising. It was Zero, lying there on the bed. There didn't seem to be any attending doctor, so Gavin took his own leave to come on in.

"Um...hi?"
Back to top Go down
Zero Alpha
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Holodiction
Best Duo
Medal of Commendation

PostSubject: Re: A Chance Encounter [Gavin/Zero]   A Chance Encounter [Gavin/Zero] I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 09, 2014 8:09 am

Gavin Van Gelder wrote:

God, he thought, looking in one of the hospital rooms and shaking his head. That damn fool girl must be on my brain, because it seems like I'm seeing her everywhere. He took a few more steps, and then turned abruptly, looking back in the window. "The hell...?" he muttered, his eyebrows raising. It was Zero, lying there on the bed. There didn't seem to be any attending doctor, so Gavin took his own leave to come on in.

"Um...hi?"

Hearing the door into her room open, Zero made a mental note as to where she had stopped in her calculations so that she could go back to them later once she had finished berating the doctor. They were constantly going in and out of her room, looking for a test sample or another, seeing how her body had matured since the last time she had been in their clutches.

As she looked around, it came as quite the surprise to her to see not one of the many doctors who attended her, but Gavin. Her brow creased slightly as she tried to figure out why he would be here. Her memory supplied her with the tidbit that his father was an important figure at the hospital. No doubt this had been a visit to him.

"Hello, Gavin," she replied, remembering the social niceties.
Back to top Go down
Gavin Van Gelder
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Best Couple

PostSubject: Re: A Chance Encounter [Gavin/Zero]   A Chance Encounter [Gavin/Zero] I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 09, 2014 8:21 pm

Zero Alpha wrote:

Hearing the door into her room open, Zero made a mental note as to where she had stopped in her calculations so that she could go back to them later once she had finished berating the doctor.  They were constantly going in and out of her room, looking for a test sample or another, seeing how her body had matured since the last time she had been in their clutches.

As she looked around, it came as quite the surprise to her to see not one of the many doctors who attended her, but Gavin.  Her brow creased slightly as she tried to figure out why he would be here.  Her memory supplied her with the tidbit that his father was an important figure at the hospital.  No doubt this had been a visit to him.

"Hello, Gavin," she replied, remembering the social niceties.  

Scratching his head, Gavin was left looking (and feeling) quite foolish. He wasn't a huge fan of that feeling, but it was almost a novelty, due to how rarely it happened. Zero certainly made him feel that way, though.

"I...um, okay. I hate to sound like the class dunce, here, but...am I missing something?" He moved over closer to the biobed, noting with relief that she at least was wearing a hospital gown. Zero was just as likely to be laying there in a goddamn birthday suit. "What are you doing in the bowels of Fleet Medical?"
Back to top Go down
Zero Alpha
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Holodiction
Best Duo
Medal of Commendation

PostSubject: Re: A Chance Encounter [Gavin/Zero]   A Chance Encounter [Gavin/Zero] I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 10, 2014 2:32 am

Gavin Van Gelder wrote:

Scratching his head, Gavin was left looking (and feeling) quite foolish.  He wasn't a huge fan of that feeling, but it was almost a novelty, due to how rarely it happened.  Zero certainly made him feel that way, though.  

"I...um, okay.  I hate to sound like the class dunce, here, but...am I missing something?"  He moved over closer to the biobed, noting with relief that she at least was wearing a hospital gown.  Zero was just as likely to be laying there in a goddamn birthday suit.  "What are you doing in the bowels of Fleet Medical?"

As Gavin made his way further into the room, Zero sat up, crossing her legs into a basket as she surveyed her cousin. Well, distant cousin. Sort of.

It was amusing to see the look of apparent confusion on his face and she offered him a humourless smile. It was surprising how much humans would only see or believe what they wanted to. Gavin most likely knew why she was here, but his conscious mind wouldn't let him believe it. He was certainly intelligent enough to know.

"I was recalled," she said simply. "I was not performing well enough for them to allow me to continue in the open."
Back to top Go down
Gavin Van Gelder
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Best Couple

PostSubject: Re: A Chance Encounter [Gavin/Zero]   A Chance Encounter [Gavin/Zero] I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 10, 2014 9:24 am

Zero Alpha wrote:

As Gavin made his way further into the room, Zero sat up, crossing her legs into a basket as she surveyed her cousin.  Well, distant cousin.  Sort of.  

It was amusing to see the look of apparent confusion on his face and she offered him a humourless smile.  It was surprising how much humans would only see or believe what they wanted to.  Gavin most likely knew why she was here, but his conscious mind wouldn't let him believe it.  He was certainly intelligent enough to know.

"I was recalled," she said simply.  "I was not performing well enough for them to allow me to continue in the open."

"Recalled!" Gavin could hardly believe the word, and wondered for a second if he hadn't misheard her. "But...I mean, you were doing great! You are doing great. If you and Thelos hadn't kept your heads during the Spore thing, it's hard to tell what we'd have all done to ourselves!" His face flushed crimson, both due to his mentioning of Thelos' name, and to the level of his indignity.

Gavin ran his fingers through his hair. It was getting a little scruffy, and it wouldn't be long until he would have to get a cut or tie it back to be in regulation. "This is damn irregular, Zero! They can't recall you now! Let me talk to someone, see what I can find out."
Back to top Go down
Zero Alpha
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Holodiction
Best Duo
Medal of Commendation

PostSubject: Re: A Chance Encounter [Gavin/Zero]   A Chance Encounter [Gavin/Zero] I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 10, 2014 1:54 pm

Gavin Van Gelder wrote:

"Recalled!"  Gavin could hardly believe the word, and wondered for a second if he hadn't misheard her.  "But...I mean, you were doing great!  You are doing great.  If you and Thelos hadn't kept your heads during the Spore thing, it's hard to tell what we'd have all done to ourselves!"  His face flushed crimson, both due to his mentioning of Thelos' name, and to the level of his indignity.  

Gavin ran his fingers through his hair.  It was getting a little scruffy, and it wouldn't be long until he would have to get a cut or tie it back to be in regulation.  "This is damn irregular, Zero!  They can't recall you now!  Let me talk to someone, see what I can find out."

Zero tilted her head to one side as Gavin spoke, a slight frown marking her brow. "I was as affected as you were by the spores. I simply do not have the same inhibitions as you. In case you have not noticed, I am far freer with my emotions and actions than you are. The markers left by the spores were also in my blood."

She cast a glance around the room, at the walls that had been very familiar over the years since she had been taken from Dr Kincaede's lab, and her shoulders fell slightly from their usual impeccable posture. "They recalled me because they had no one reliable to report to them on my progress. Both Commander Arthur and Captain T'Koris have informed them that they do not wish a part in this. Rather vocally, if Admiral Corinth's expression was any form of clue. They will not allow me out of here if there is no one they can trust to 'keep me under control'."
Back to top Go down
Gavin Van Gelder
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Best Couple

PostSubject: Re: A Chance Encounter [Gavin/Zero]   A Chance Encounter [Gavin/Zero] I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 19, 2014 8:13 am

Zero Alpha wrote:

Zero tilted her head to one side as Gavin spoke, a slight frown marking her brow.  "I was as affected as you were by the spores.  I simply do not have the same inhibitions as you.  In case you have not noticed, I am far freer with my emotions and actions than you are.  The markers left by the spores were also in my blood."

She cast a glance around the room, at the walls that had been very familiar over the years since she had been taken from Dr Kincaede's lab, and her shoulders fell slightly from their usual impeccable posture.  "They recalled me because they had no one reliable to report to them on my progress.  Both Commander Arthur and Captain T'Koris have informed them that they do not wish a part in this.  Rather vocally, if Admiral Corinth's expression was any form of clue.  They will not allow me out of here if there is no one they can trust to 'keep me under control'."

Gavin shook his head, crossing his arms and frowning. "Still doesn't make sense. You were doing great. You helped people, you have taken care of the captain's little girls, you formed friendships, a relationship, and...um." He suddenly clammed up, feeling incredibly stupid. He had no clue what state the Augment and her Romulan pilot's relationship was in. Nobody did. "A-anyway...look. I still think you should let me try and talk to some of these people. I practically grew up around here."

He felt guilty, then, knowing that, in a roundabout way, this was all his fault. If only he'd had the fortitude to...

To what? Pretend to be Zero's friend, win her trust, and then rat her out? What kind of person would that make *you*? He wasn't sure, but he was somewhat glad that he never found out. Though, if he had it to do over again, he would have worked something out with the Augment so that they could pretend like they were passing info along to Medical.
Back to top Go down
Zero Alpha
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Holodiction
Best Duo
Medal of Commendation

PostSubject: Re: A Chance Encounter [Gavin/Zero]   A Chance Encounter [Gavin/Zero] I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 19, 2014 5:09 pm

Gavin Van Gelder wrote:

Gavin shook his head, crossing his arms and frowning.  "Still doesn't make sense.  You were doing great.  You helped people, you have taken care of the captain's little girls, you formed friendships, a relationship, and...um."  He suddenly clammed up, feeling incredibly stupid.  He had no clue what state the Augment and her Romulan pilot's relationship was in.  Nobody did.  "A-anyway...look.  I still think you should let me try and talk to some of these people.  I practically grew up around here."  

He felt guilty, then, knowing that, in a roundabout way, this was all his fault.  If only he'd had the fortitude to...

To what?  Pretend to be Zero's friend, win her trust, and then rat her out?  What kind of person would that make *you*?  He wasn't sure, but he was somewhat glad that he never found out.  Though, if he had it to do over again, he would have worked something out with the Augment so that they could pretend like they were passing info along to Medical.

Zero blinked, her expression hardening at the mention of her relationship with Jiseth. Once upon a time, the Romulan would have stormed Starfleet Medical with all guns blazing in order to rescue Zero, but the Augment knew that Jiseth wasn't coming for her this time. She wondered if Jiseth thought about her as much as she thought about her Romulan.

Pushing those thought to the back of her mind for analysis later on when she was alone, Zero tuned her full attention back to the lanky youth standing a few paces into her tiny room. She was feeling that strange sensation of gratitude once again at the thought that he was willing to go and talk to the doctors regarding her case. Her expression softened.

"You have already sacrificed much for me. I would not wish to see you do further damage to your career by speaking up for me." She frowned slightly, a fragment of memory from a past conversation trying to get her attention. They had been having a similar discussion at the time. "Are you planning to run through the halls in a state of undress?"
Back to top Go down
Gavin Van Gelder
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Best Couple

PostSubject: Re: A Chance Encounter [Gavin/Zero]   A Chance Encounter [Gavin/Zero] I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 19, 2014 8:10 pm

Zero Alpha wrote:

Zero blinked, her expression hardening at the mention of her relationship with Jiseth.  Once upon a time, the Romulan would have stormed Starfleet Medical with all guns blazing in order to rescue Zero, but the Augment knew that Jiseth wasn't coming for her this time.  She wondered if Jiseth thought about her as much as she thought about her Romulan.

Pushing those thought to the back of her mind for analysis later on when she was alone, Zero tuned her full attention back to the lanky youth standing a few paces into her tiny room.  She was feeling that strange sensation of gratitude once again at the thought that he was willing to go and talk to the doctors regarding her case.  Her expression softened.

"You have already sacrificed much for me.  I would not wish to see you do further damage to your career by speaking up for me."  She frowned slightly, a fragment of memory from a past conversation trying to get her attention.  They had been having a similar discussion at the time.  "Are you planning to run through the halls in a state of undress?"

Yeah, okay, mentioning Jiseth wasn't the smartest thing I could have done, Gavin thought, ready to duck in case the Augment decided to toss something at him. Thankfully, the cloud in her eyes passed. Though, when one's eyes were grey to begin with, they tended to always look stormy. "It's...not about sacrifice, Zero. I mean...how could I have continued to lie to you, like that? You're my friend." He lightly touched her hand, smiling happily. "And family. And no, I'm not planning on running around in my underpants. Too many people know me here..."
Back to top Go down
Zero Alpha
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Holodiction
Best Duo
Medal of Commendation

PostSubject: Re: A Chance Encounter [Gavin/Zero]   A Chance Encounter [Gavin/Zero] I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 20, 2014 2:46 am

Gavin Van Gelder wrote:

Yeah, okay, mentioning Jiseth wasn't the smartest thing I could have done, Gavin thought, ready to duck in case the Augment decided to toss something at him.  Thankfully, the cloud in her eyes passed.  Though, when one's eyes were grey to begin with, they tended to always look stormy.  "It's...not about sacrifice, Zero.  I mean...how could I have continued to lie to you, like that?  You're my friend."  He lightly touched her hand, smiling happily.  "And family.  And no, I'm not planning on running around in my underpants.  Too many people know me here..."

After looking down at where their hands touched with a faint expression of confusion, Zero turned her head back to look at Gavin.

"It is easy to lie," she pointed out.  "Illogical at times, but easy.  Humans do it all the time, to friends, family, even to themselves."  She shrugged one shoulder, brushing off the subject.  "If you wish to try to speak to Admiral Corinth, you are welcome to try.  However, I do not expect he will be particularly receptive."

She stiffened suddenly, getting to her feet, looking past Gavin to the door. A doctor was standing there, staring at the pair of them.

"Who gave you permission to be in here?" he snapped at Gavin.
Back to top Go down
Gavin Van Gelder
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Best Couple

PostSubject: Re: A Chance Encounter [Gavin/Zero]   A Chance Encounter [Gavin/Zero] I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 22, 2014 9:31 pm

Zero Alpha wrote:

After looking down at where their hands touched with a faint expression of confusion, Zero turned her head back to look at Gavin.

"It is easy to lie," she pointed out.  "Illogical at times, but easy.  Humans do it all the time, to friends, family, even to themselves."  She shrugged one shoulder, brushing off the subject.  "If you wish to try to speak to Admiral Corinth, you are welcome to try.  However, I do not expect he will be particularly receptive."

She stiffened suddenly, getting to her feet, looking past Gavin to the door.  A doctor was standing there, staring at the pair of them.

"Who gave you permission to be in here?" he snapped at Gavin.

"No," Gavin quietly said. "I doubt he would, at that." Sighing, he shook his shaggy head. "I wish there was something more I could do for you, Zero...hopefully, you'll be able to get re-assigned to the ship. You're brilliant, and you do the galaxy more good out there than in here."

He jumped a little as the Augment hopped to her feet, standing out of the way enough not to get bowled over by a pale force of nature. Gavin turned, cocking an eyebrow at the source of the perturbed voice. "Um, door wasn't locked?" he shrugged, rolling his eyes. "Zero looked like she needed a friend. A visitor? Honestly, I've seen prisons that were more friendly than this." That was a bald-faced lie - Gavin had never been in any prison in his life. "Gavin Van Gelder, ensign, USS Phoenix."
Back to top Go down
Zero Alpha
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Holodiction
Best Duo
Medal of Commendation

PostSubject: Re: A Chance Encounter [Gavin/Zero]   A Chance Encounter [Gavin/Zero] I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 23, 2014 3:01 am

Gavin Van Gelder wrote:

"No," Gavin quietly said.  "I doubt he would, at that."  Sighing, he shook his shaggy head.  "I wish there was something more I could do for you, Zero...hopefully, you'll be able to get re-assigned to the ship.  You're brilliant, and you do the galaxy more good out there than in here."

He jumped a little as the Augment hopped to her feet, standing out of the way enough not to get bowled over by a pale force of nature.  Gavin turned, cocking an eyebrow at the source of the perturbed voice.  "Um, door wasn't locked?" he shrugged, rolling his eyes.  "Zero looked like she needed a friend.  A visitor?  Honestly, I've seen prisons that were more friendly than this."  That was a bald-faced lie - Gavin had never been in any prison in his life.  "Gavin Van Gelder, ensign, USS Phoenix."

Zero stood silent as the doctor took in the ensign standing in her room, an expression of distinct irritation on his face.  The Augment's fists clenched at her sides.

"I know who you are, Ensign Van Gelder," the doctor replied coolly.  "Your name doesn't change the fact that you don't have permission to be in here.  This patient is marked as dangerous."  Inside his head, the gears had clicked into place to tell him that the youth standing in front of him was both the son of an important figure in Starfleet Medical, and the one who had baulked on the assignment of keeping tabs on Alpha 01419 on Starbase Athena.  "Visitors are not allowed in the research wing, Ensign.  I'm sure you're aware of that."
Back to top Go down
Gavin Van Gelder
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Best Couple

PostSubject: Re: A Chance Encounter [Gavin/Zero]   A Chance Encounter [Gavin/Zero] I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 23, 2014 8:12 am

Zero Alpha wrote:

Zero stood silent as the doctor took in the ensign standing in her room, an expression of distinct irritation on his face.  The Augment's fists clenched at her sides.

"I know who you are, Ensign Van Gelder," the doctor replied coolly.  "Your name doesn't change the fact that you don't have permission to be in here.  This patient is marked as dangerous."  Inside his head, the gears had clicked into place to tell him that the youth standing in front of him was both the son of an important figure in Starfleet Medical, and the one who had baulked on the assignment of keeping tabs on Alpha 01419 on Starbase Athena.  "Visitors are not allowed in the research wing, Ensign.  I'm sure you're aware of that."

"Visitor?" Gavin said, raising one eyebrow.  "I'm wearing teal, doc.  I thought that made us all one big, happy family?"  It hadn't even occurred to him to use his name as a blunt object, though undoubtedly that was what the doctor had assumed he'd done.  Oh well.  "As to how I got in...well.  I used to intern here, back when I was a cadet.  Guess someone in the main office forgot to cancel my access pass.  And," he shrugged, "like I said...not like the door was locked or anything.  Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm just saying farewell to the incredibly dangerous slip of a girl that you have locked away like some pipe bomb from the Borg."
Back to top Go down
Zero Alpha
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Holodiction
Best Duo
Medal of Commendation

PostSubject: Re: A Chance Encounter [Gavin/Zero]   A Chance Encounter [Gavin/Zero] I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 23, 2014 1:32 pm

Gavin Van Gelder wrote:

"Visitor?" Gavin said, raising one eyebrow.  "I'm wearing teal, doc.  I thought that made us all one big, happy family?"  It hadn't even occurred to him to use his name as a blunt object, though undoubtedly that was what the doctor had assumed he'd done.  Oh well.  "As to how I got in...well.  I used to intern here, back when I was a cadet.  Guess someone in the main office forgot to cancel my access pass.  And," he shrugged, "like I said...not like the door was locked or anything.  Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm just saying farewell to the incredibly dangerous slip of a girl that you have locked away like some pipe bomb from the Borg."

"Uniform or no, you are not assigned to this department and no one has filed the appropriate papers to request your presence here. Therefore, you are a visitor here," the doctor replied dryly. He tapped his commbadge. "Doctor Zale to Admiral Corinth. We have unauthorised personnel with the Augment."

Closing the channel again, the doctor glared at Gavin, although he addressed Zero. "1419, go and sit in the closet and think about why you are not allowed to communicate with unauthorised people." The Augment looked between the doctor and the man who had proved herself to be her friend. The doctor turned his full attention to Zero. "Now, 1419, or it'll be the box."

Slowly, the pale girl stepped away from the two men and over to a small door in the wall. She opened it, revealing a small closet with a few uniforms hanging up, stepped inside and closed the door behind her.
Back to top Go down
Gavin Van Gelder
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Best Couple

PostSubject: Re: A Chance Encounter [Gavin/Zero]   A Chance Encounter [Gavin/Zero] I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 23, 2014 10:11 pm

Zero Alpha wrote:

"Uniform or no, you are not assigned to this department and no one has filed the appropriate papers to request your presence here.  Therefore, you are a visitor here," the doctor replied dryly.  He tapped his commbadge.  "Doctor Zale to Admiral Corinth.  We have unauthorised personnel with the Augment."

Closing the channel again, the doctor glared at Gavin, although he addressed Zero.  "1419, go and sit in the closet and think about why you are not allowed to communicate with unauthorised people."  The Augment looked between the doctor and the man who had proved herself to be her friend.  The doctor turned his full attention to Zero.  "Now, 1419, or it'll be the box."

Slowly, the pale girl stepped away from the two men and over to a small door in the wall.  She opened it, revealing a small closet with a few uniforms hanging up, stepped inside and closed the door behind her.

Gavin's mouth worked as he watched Zero be put in a closet, but no words came out. Put in a closet. Literally. Amazing.

"Oh, like hell," he snorted, storming over to the wardrobe and keying the door open. "Zero Alpha, do not allow yourself to be put in a damn box!" He rounded on the doctor. "You! Zale, is it? I see you making calls to your Admiral Corinth. Fine. Get his ass down here. All of you need to hear this. What in the hell's wrong with you bastards? Stuffing people in closets? I'm sorry," he said, running his hand through his hair, "I must have made a mistake. I thought this was the twenty-fourth century, and that we were uniformed representatives of the United Federation of Planets. Going by what you people do here, I can see that I was wrong!"
Back to top Go down
Zero Alpha
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Holodiction
Best Duo
Medal of Commendation

PostSubject: Re: A Chance Encounter [Gavin/Zero]   A Chance Encounter [Gavin/Zero] I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 24, 2014 7:27 am

Gavin Van Gelder wrote:

Gavin's mouth worked as he watched Zero be put in a closet, but no words came out.  Put in a closet.  Literally.  Amazing.

"Oh, like hell," he snorted, storming over to the wardrobe and keying the door open.  "Zero Alpha, do not allow yourself to be put in a damn box!"  He rounded on the doctor.  "You!  Zale, is it?  I see you making calls to your Admiral Corinth.  Fine.  Get his ass down here.  All of you need to hear this.  What in the hell's wrong with you bastards?  Stuffing people in closets?  I'm sorry," he said, running his hand through his hair, "I must have made a mistake.  I thought this was the twenty-fourth century, and that we were uniformed representatives of the United Federation of Planets.  Going by what you people do here, I can see that I was wrong!"

"You are mistaken, Mr Van Gelder," came another voice from the doorway before Doctor Zale could respond. An Admiral stood there, arms loosely folded behind his back as he observed the scene. As with many flag officers, he appeared to exude an air of complete calm and confidence in his position.

Stepping into the room, the first thing he did was look at Zero, who was still sitting on the closet floor, looking faintly confused and afraid.

"I am disappointed in you, 1419," he stated. "You know better." After keying the door closed again, the Admiral turned to face Gavin. "Mr Van Gelder... I have to admit that I am also disappointed in you. Siding with the Augment? A dangerous career move. Your father was very upset."
Back to top Go down
Gavin Van Gelder
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Best Couple

PostSubject: Re: A Chance Encounter [Gavin/Zero]   A Chance Encounter [Gavin/Zero] I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 25, 2014 8:10 am

Zero Alpha wrote:

"You are mistaken, Mr Van Gelder," came another voice from the doorway before Doctor Zale could respond.  An Admiral stood there, arms loosely folded behind his back as he observed the scene.  As with many flag officers, he appeared to exude an air of complete calm and confidence in his position.  

Stepping into the room, the first thing he did was look at Zero, who was still sitting on the closet floor, looking faintly confused and afraid.  

"I am disappointed in you, 1419," he stated.  "You know better."  After keying the door closed again, the Admiral turned to face Gavin.  "Mr Van Gelder... I have to admit that I am also disappointed in you.  Siding with the Augment?  A dangerous career move.  Your father was very upset."

Gavin tried to tell himself that he wouldn't give a damn for an Admiral's rank, no matter how many fancy pips he wore on his collar. However, when faced with one...even for a kid who had grown up around some of Starfleet's highest inner-circle, it was still a daunting task to stare an Admiral in the eye.

"You must be Admiral Corinth?" Gavin asked, scowling as the man closed the closet on Zero again. "I didn't realize we had to take 'sides', here in the heart of the open-eyed, open-minded Starfleet Medical. And as for disappointing my father...well. If it were a graded event, I'd outrank you by now." Frowning at the closet, he looked back to the Admiral. "She's nothing like you people say. You have all your reports and contingencies in place...but I've worked with her. Lived with her. Does empirical evidence not count for anything here, either?"
Back to top Go down
Zero Alpha
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Holodiction
Best Duo
Medal of Commendation

PostSubject: Re: A Chance Encounter [Gavin/Zero]   A Chance Encounter [Gavin/Zero] I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 25, 2014 2:03 pm

Gavin Van Gelder wrote:

Gavin tried to tell himself that he wouldn't give a damn for an Admiral's rank, no matter how many fancy pips he wore on his collar.  However, when faced with one...even for a kid who had grown up around some of Starfleet's highest inner-circle, it was still a daunting task to stare an Admiral in the eye.

"You must be Admiral Corinth?" Gavin asked, scowling as the man closed the closet on Zero again.  "I didn't realize we had to take 'sides', here in the heart of the open-eyed, open-minded Starfleet Medical.  And as for disappointing my father...well.  If it were a graded event, I'd outrank you by now."  Frowning at the closet, he looked back to the Admiral.  "She's nothing like you people say.  You have all your reports and contingencies in place...but I've worked with her.  Lived with her.  Does empirical evidence not count for anything here, either?"

Admiral Corinth observed the ensign for a moment before walking the few paces across the room to the desk. He picked up one of the PADDs sitting there, a personal device rather than the Starfleet issue ones that also occupied the surface, scrolling through it for a few seconds before pulling an isolinear chip from his pocket and copying the data from the PADD onto it. He handed the stick to Doctor Zale.

"She has designed a new code. Send this across to cryptology, it'll keep them busy for a while." He then turned his attention back to Gavin. "You have known her for a very short time. I don't expect you to see her the same way as those of us who have known her for years." He tossed the PADD back onto the desk. "Empirical evidence on a project this complex takes years to gather, and the data we have points to her being very dangerous. She displays several traits in common with other Augments and they are not good traits."
Back to top Go down
Gavin Van Gelder
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Best Couple

PostSubject: Re: A Chance Encounter [Gavin/Zero]   A Chance Encounter [Gavin/Zero] I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 26, 2014 7:22 am

"You know her for years because you watched her grow." Gavin crossed his arms and squared his shoulders. It wasn't like he could take on the entirety of the medical staff...but he was also digging in for a fight. "She didn't ask to be born. Actually, none of us do. Can she help her circumstances? Does she deserve to be treated like an experiment? Zero's a sentient being." He shook his head, sadly. "It's no different than someone who was born, say, half-Romulan when their father forced themselves on the mother. That person never asked to be born. But, if you treated them like a lab project, stuck them in a closet, told them they weren't a real person because of the accident of their birth...people would call you sociopaths."
Back to top Go down
Zero Alpha
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Holodiction
Best Duo
Medal of Commendation

PostSubject: Re: A Chance Encounter [Gavin/Zero]   A Chance Encounter [Gavin/Zero] I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 26, 2014 7:43 am

Gavin Van Gelder wrote:
"You know her for years because you watched her grow."  Gavin crossed his arms and squared his shoulders.  It wasn't like he could take on the entirety of the medical staff...but he was also digging in for a fight.  "She didn't ask to be born.  Actually, none of us do.  Can she help her circumstances?  Does she deserve to be treated like an experiment?  Zero's a sentient being."  He shook his head, sadly.  "It's no different than someone who was born, say, half-Romulan when their father forced themselves on the mother.  That person never asked to be born.  But, if you treated them like a lab project, stuck them in a closet, told them they weren't a real person because of the accident of their birth...people would call you sociopaths."

The Admiral raised an eyebrow at Gavin's outburst. "Ensign, had I not stepped in, 1419 would have been destroyed along with the rest of Doctor Kincaede's research. She was handed over to Starfleet Medical for study and as such is the property of Starfleet Medical.

"Alpha 01419 is not, as you say, a 'real person'. She is an experiment. A jigsaw puzzle put together by a renegade scientist. If we granted citizenship to everything grown in a lab for research purposes, we'd never get any work done." He gestured to the closet. "In teaching 1419, we had to find some form of punishment that was adequate. We found that small, dark places provide such an element. She will be released when we decide that she has learned her lesson."
Back to top Go down
Gavin Van Gelder
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Best Couple

PostSubject: Re: A Chance Encounter [Gavin/Zero]   A Chance Encounter [Gavin/Zero] I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 26, 2014 2:08 pm

Zero Alpha wrote:

The Admiral raised an eyebrow at Gavin's outburst.  "Ensign, had I not stepped in, 1419 would have been destroyed along with the rest of Doctor Kincaede's research.  She was handed over to Starfleet Medical for study and as such is the property of Starfleet Medical.  

"Alpha 01419 is not, as you say, a 'real person'.  She is an experiment.  A jigsaw puzzle put together by a renegade scientist.  If we granted citizenship to everything grown in a lab for research purposes, we'd never get any work done."  He gestured to the closet.  "In teaching 1419, we had to find some form of punishment that was adequate.  We found that small, dark places provide such an element.  She will be released when we decide that she has learned her lesson."

Shrugging, Gavin frowned sharply at the Admiral, the finely-honed gears of his brain clicking into place as he searched his broad and excellent memory. "You say Zero is property, even though she is a sentient being. This, sir, is in direct contradiction to legal precedent, as laid down in the ruling of the Judge Advocate General in 2365. That's stardate 42523.7, if you wanna be a bit more precise." He tapped his lower lip in thought, waving his other finger at the officer. "Lieutenant Commander Data, of the Enterprise, was ruled sentient, and most definitely not the property of Starfleet or any other entity."

Back to top Go down
Zero Alpha
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Holodiction
Best Duo
Medal of Commendation

PostSubject: Re: A Chance Encounter [Gavin/Zero]   A Chance Encounter [Gavin/Zero] I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 26, 2014 4:02 pm

Gavin Van Gelder wrote:

Shrugging, Gavin frowned sharply at the Admiral, the finely-honed gears of his brain clicking into place as he searched his broad and excellent memory.  "You say Zero is property, even though she is a sentient being.  This, sir, is in direct contradiction to legal precedent, as laid down in the ruling of the Judge Advocate General in 2365.  That's stardate 42523.7, if you wanna be a bit more precise."  He tapped his lower lip in thought, waving his other finger at the officer.  "Lieutenant Commander Data, of the Enterprise, was ruled sentient, and most definitely not the property of Starfleet or any other entity."

It was easy for admiral Corinth to smile almost beneficially at the junior officer. He certainly did come out with the appropriate proof to back up his arguments but, unfortunately for him, he lacked the necessary information to know just how to argue the case.

"I commend your knowledge of law, Mr Van Gelder, but I'm afraid that your example of precedent doesn't apply here. You see, when 1419 was brought here with the rest of Doctor Kincaede's research, she was very emotionally immature and her knowledge of how to live on her own or even how to interact with people nonexistent. When Starfleet Command and the JAG office decided that she would be allowed to live, she was handed over to my team here and we were given full custody and guardianship until we deem her fit and able to survive on her own. Not when she reached majority, but when we think she's ready. She still has many, many more years to go before she reaches that stage, I'm afraid. Therefore, she remains in our custody and as such, our property."

He took a step forward, putting a hand on Gavin's shoulder. "A good try, son, but I'm afraid that I have both Starfleet Medical and the paperwork from the JAG office on my side in this instance." He then frowned at Gavin for a moment before the smile returned. "You know, you had a large part to play in her return here. Your refusal to report back to us on her behaviour meant that we had no way of evaluating her performance in the real world, so we had to bring her back. It's just too dangerous to have her wandering about freely like that. You have my thanks, Mr Val Gelder."
Back to top Go down
Gavin Van Gelder
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Best Couple

PostSubject: Re: A Chance Encounter [Gavin/Zero]   A Chance Encounter [Gavin/Zero] I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 26, 2014 4:16 pm

Zero Alpha wrote:

It was easy for admiral Corinth to smile almost beneficially at the junior officer.  He certainly did come out with the appropriate proof to back up his arguments but, unfortunately for him, he lacked the necessary information to know just how to argue the case.

"I commend your knowledge of law, Mr Van Gelder, but I'm afraid that your example of precedent doesn't apply here.  You see, when 1419 was brought here with the rest of Doctor Kincaede's research, she was very emotionally immature and her knowledge of how to live on her own or even how to interact with people nonexistent.  When Starfleet Command and the JAG office decided that she would be allowed to live, she was handed over to my team here and we were given full custody and guardianship until we deem her fit and able to survive on her own.  Not when she reached majority, but when we think she's ready.  She still has many, many more years to go before she reaches that stage, I'm afraid.  Therefore, she remains in our custody and as such, our property."

He took a step forward, putting a hand on Gavin's shoulder.  "A good try, son, but I'm afraid that I have both Starfleet Medical and the paperwork from the JAG office on my side in this instance."  He then frowned at Gavin for a moment before the smile returned.  "You know, you had a large part to play in her return here.  Your refusal to report back to us on her behaviour meant that we had no way of evaluating her performance in the real world, so we had to bring her back.  It's just too dangerous to have her wandering about freely like that.  You have my thanks, Mr Val Gelder."

"Oh, please," Gavin said, giving a cockeyed glance at the hand on his shoulder. "Don't act like you couldn't find another patsy to be your mole. There are any number of young, hungry little pip-collecting lapdogs fresh out of the Academy that you could have installed on board the Phoenix. God knows that I had enough in my class."

He shook his shaggy head, smiling humorlessly. "I don't think we need to stand here insulting one another's intelligence, Admiral Corinth. You could have anyone you wanted looking after her. The truth is, you want her here. You like having your thumb on something." Gavin very nearly came close to alleging that the man liked it even more so that Zero was an attractive young girl, but his brain thankfully overrode his mouth. That didn't happen often. "She's not dangerous. She has friends. Relationships. She delivers babies, sets broken bones, regenerates burns. She has hobbies. You'd know this, if you didn't store her in a goddamn closet."
Back to top Go down
Zero Alpha
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Holodiction
Best Duo
Medal of Commendation

PostSubject: Re: A Chance Encounter [Gavin/Zero]   A Chance Encounter [Gavin/Zero] I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 26, 2014 4:27 pm

Gavin Van Gelder wrote:

"Oh, please," Gavin said, giving a cockeyed glance at the hand on his shoulder.  "Don't act like you couldn't find another patsy to be your mole.  There are any number of young, hungry little pip-collecting lapdogs fresh out of the Academy that you could have installed on board the Phoenix.  God knows that I had enough in my class."  

He shook his shaggy head, smiling humorlessly.  "I don't think we need to stand here insulting one another's intelligence, Admiral Corinth.  You could have anyone you wanted looking after her.  The truth is, you want her here.  You like having your thumb on something."  Gavin very nearly came close to alleging that the man liked it even more so that Zero was an attractive young girl, but his brain thankfully overrode his mouth.  That didn't happen often.  "She's not dangerous.  She has friends.  Relationships.  She delivers babies, sets broken bones, regenerates burns.  She has hobbies.  You'd know this, if you didn't store her in a goddamn closet."

"Yes, we could have used many of your classmates, but you were always the one to stand out," Admiral Corinth said. "We needed someone who could keep up with her intellect. It would have been all to easy for her to give many of your classmates the slip or feed them misinformation."

"You claim that she isn't dangerous? How little you know, son. During various times that we have let her out of this facility, she has been reported to be insubordinate and displaying a severe superiority complex. She got involved with Romulans. She became alcoholic. She began creating other Augments. None of these elements scream 'harmless' to me, Mr Van Gelder." He glanced over at the closet as Gavin brought it up. "An unfortunate element, but it was necessary to find a manner of disciplining her. Stumbling across her acute fear of enclosed, dark spaces was a blessing in that respect."
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A Chance Encounter [Gavin/Zero]   A Chance Encounter [Gavin/Zero] I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

A Chance Encounter [Gavin/Zero]
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next