Aurora Fleet
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Current Year: 2379

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» *poking the fleet part deux*
Small Details... Big Impact I_icon_minitimeby Archangel T'Koris Thu Jul 15, 2021 12:57 pm

» Isn't this a fine kettle of fish?
Small Details... Big Impact I_icon_minitimeby Archangel T'Koris Sat Dec 17, 2016 5:36 am

» *pokes the fleet*
Small Details... Big Impact I_icon_minitimeby Julia Rellek Sat Nov 12, 2016 12:23 am

» Hrafn is back (sort of)
Small Details... Big Impact I_icon_minitimeby Archangel T'Koris Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:00 pm

» Merger
Small Details... Big Impact I_icon_minitimeby Archangel T'Koris Fri May 06, 2016 7:04 pm

» Uninvited Guests [Zero / Leela]
Small Details... Big Impact I_icon_minitimeby Zero Alpha Wed May 04, 2016 4:50 pm

» Seeing Clearly
Small Details... Big Impact I_icon_minitimeby Archangel T'Koris Wed May 04, 2016 4:42 pm

» Season 2, Mission 2: Light the Way
Small Details... Big Impact I_icon_minitimeby Elena Tarunt Tue May 03, 2016 10:37 pm

» FACECLAIMS
Small Details... Big Impact I_icon_minitimeby Guest Tue May 03, 2016 12:24 pm

» Application:John Brown
Small Details... Big Impact I_icon_minitimeby Julia Rellek Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:08 am

Affiliates

Small Details... Big Impact

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Kejal Buris
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Technical Precision

Small Details... Big Impact Empty
PostSubject: Small Details... Big Impact   Small Details... Big Impact I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 24, 2016 6:33 pm

Buris had made his life onboard the Phoenix easier by avoiding the Captain's Ready Room whenever possible. While his promotion had made it easier for him to deal with her and the two had gained a respect for one another... that didn't mean they were the best of friends. Still, he noticed Commander Arthur's sudden departure, no Engineer assigned as Chief in his absence, and T'Koris' errant behavior. He thought it had to do with the fact that man suffered life-threatening plasma burns, and when Captain T'Koris actually missed a duty shift, he felt that it was time to take notice.

She walked across the Bridge to her Ready Room, and he noticed something amiss. It was a small detail, one most people who weren't born into a war-torn world would miss. But to him, the lack of a keepsake was as damning as her announcing over the intercom that something was wrong. It gave him an opening; one that he could play stupid with.

He walked into her Ready Room quietly, lacking his customary PADD. He waited for the door to close behind him and took a few steps into the room, trying to make sure the other Bridge officers didn't hear.

He spoke softly as he found himself avoiding eye contact. "Captain. I, uh, noticed that your necklace is missing. If you'd like, I can have one of the ops crew help you find it in your quarters. I'm sure that if you thought it was stolen, Security would already be tearing this ship apart; and rightly so. Children can hide things in the strangest places."

He tried to smile, to appear that he was just trying to be helpful.
Back to top Go down
Archangel T'Koris
Captain
Captain

Starfleet Starfleet Award of Merit Command
1 Year Service
Art Contribution
Completed Plot and Bio Page
Participated in the first mission

PostSubject: Re: Small Details... Big Impact   Small Details... Big Impact I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 24, 2016 6:54 pm

There were times when Archangel deeply regreted her dual heritage and its implications on her body. It seemed to reject many compounds that others seemed to ingest without a second thought: Certain medications, caffeine and alcohol, to name but a few. She often envied Safefta her apparent ease with such things, but both sides of her friend's heritage were closer than hers were. That probably had something to do with it.

As bad as she might feel, it would be unacceptable to miss another duty shift and Safefta had at least managed to pry her off the floor. That was why, headache and nausea abound, she had still turned up for her next shift. Seeing that the bridge was well under control meant that she could tuck herself away in her ready room and catch up on paperwork away from prying eyes.

The short time she had spent on the bridge had still caught the attention of someone there, given that the door opened shortly after she had sat down. Kejal. She and the Bajoran had managed to get along so far, mainly by staying out of each other's hair as much as they could. Not a great working relationship, but it worked for them.

His mention of her necklace, the slender chain that had held her wedding bands around her neck at all times, brought a slight narrowing of her eyes as she scrutinised him for a moment. His attention to detail was almost Cardassian, but she wasn't about to tell him that.

"Thank you for the offer, but there will be no need for that, Lieutenant," she replied, also avoiding eye contact with her Chief of Operations. "I know exactly where it is. It's just not appropriate for me to wear it on duty."
Back to top Go down
Kejal Buris
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Technical Precision

PostSubject: Re: Small Details... Big Impact   Small Details... Big Impact I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 24, 2016 11:49 pm

Buris raised an eyebrow, a maneuver he'd picked up from the Vulcans he'd worked with and been around in the Federation (and, it seemed, everyone who'd been within several feet of a Vulcan).  He watched her out of the corners of his eyes and thought for a moment.  Wedding jewelry was certainly appropriate to be worn on duty, even (maybe especially) in the case of widows and widowers.  The comment was indirect enough that most people would have been put off by it, but he decided to press onwards.  Yes, he'd made his life by avoiding her, but she'd already lost one good officer; she wasn't likely to put him off the ship for actually trying to express sympathy.  Maybe she'd explode at him... but he wondered if that would be an altogether bad thing for the ship.

"I'm... sorry to hear that, Captain.  Will your daughters be remaining onboard with us, or is Commander Arthur suing for custody?"

He knew he was being very forward, but at the same time, between Ops and Counseling they needed to know - after all, in a very distant way their education fell partly to his responsibility.  Even beyond that, he was still the 'outsider' to the officers and the only one who wasn't dreadfully affected by T'Koris' behavior.  If anything, her missing shifts had made it easier for him to work.  Still, he was noticing it from others, even those who served under him.  Someone had to face her head-on before it fell to the Doctor to take more drastic action.
Back to top Go down
Archangel T'Koris
Captain
Captain

1 Year Service
Art Contribution

PostSubject: Re: Small Details... Big Impact   Small Details... Big Impact I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 25, 2016 1:32 pm

It would have been easy to use the mention of her daughters and the continued conversation about her failed relationship as an excuse to shout at the operations chief, but Archangel had always known that she had to keep her personal life and her professional as separate as possible. No matter how much the situation tore at her inside, the ship and its crew would not suffer. She had missed one shift and that was something that she was determined not to have happen again.

"The girls will be staying with me, certainly for the time being, while Commander Arthur resettles himself on Earth and should he attempt to gain custody, he will find that Romulans do not give up easily," she replied, keeping her expression carefully neutral so as to avoid any of the anger she harboured spilling over.
Back to top Go down
Kejal Buris
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Technical Precision

PostSubject: Re: Small Details... Big Impact   Small Details... Big Impact I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 25, 2016 11:13 pm

Her expression was neutral, but even so he saw the flash - her husband might become a threat to her children. And she would defend them with all the ferocity she had - he'd seen it before; many times. Several Cardies bore scars from Bajoran mothers for threatening a child. He had every reason to believe she would inflict far more serious wounds. But whether they consistently saw eye-to-eye (quite frankly, he believed that a starship was no place for children - hypocritical perhaps but he wanted better for the future), she had to know that her officers were behind her. He finally looked at her and took a deep breath.

"If he does make that attempt against your wishes, I know a man who may be the best counsel in the Federation, certainly for minor law. He got me my full citizenship, separate from the mass influx of Bajoran immigration. I will contact him and put him in touch with you, should it come to that."

He stiffened his shoulders slightly at the thought - and how far off-book he was willing to go for this woman. If the girls were going to stay aboard, that meant that they were as family to him. And if she was not going to give up, he would spare her any pain he could. "I'd appreciate if you'll take two requests under advisement, Captain. First, please get your daughters into the Counselor's office sooner, rather than later. Second, please do not appoint... a war criminal... as Chief Engineer. It would make Officers' meetings extremely uncomfortable for all of us."

There was something decent in him, at least - he wasn't going to let her children be torn from her, because she would be inconsolable. Regardless of what he wanted to do to her, he had no problem with her as a person. And this was a part of his duty that came before the Fleet. And for once, while he still wasn't comfortable uttering Gul Epath's name, at least he wasn't calling him 'my parents' killer' openly either.

He looked away, amazed at what he was about to say, but he couldn't help it. "If I can help in any way, I will."
Back to top Go down
Archangel T'Koris
Captain
Captain

1 Year Service
Art Contribution

PostSubject: Re: Small Details... Big Impact   Small Details... Big Impact I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 26, 2016 11:36 am

It seemed to be a universal constant that the most feared and dangerous predator, even amongst sentient species, was a mother in defence of her young. Perhaps in sentient species, it was even more so. Certainly in a Romulan as territorial and protective as Archangel had proved herself to be on several occasions, the fight would not be a pretty one.

She observed Kejal carefully, scrutinising his body language, looking for any tells that could invalidate what he was saying by insincerity or any hint that he could be a danger. There was discomfort there, certainly, but given the subject and the situation, that was almost to be expected.

"I appreciate that," she replied, inclining her head to him briefly, "and I'm sure that the girls will appreciate it too. Space is the only home they've known. We did try to settle them planetside, but they didn't cope well. However, that is still a hypothetical situation and not one I particularly want to consider at this point."

Thankfully, his requests steered the conversation away from subjects that required her to let down her defenses quite as much, leaving more space for a far more guarded approach. She narrowed her eyes slightly at the inference that she wouldn't so what was best for her daughters.

"I may be cavalier about my own health, Lieutenant, but never that of my daughters. They have already been through one session with the counsellor about the situation and will be continuing until they are no longer necessary." Her tone was slightly cool, but it lost that edge as she considered the second request. She knew his reasons well for not wanting Lieutenant Epath to take over control of the engineering department and although it still grated on her nerves that Kejal was still letting his past colour his future, she kept that to herself. This was not the time for an argument.

"Starfleet Command is assigning a new Chief Engineer temporarily while we sort out Commander Arthur's successor. I already have someone in mind, but it is not Lieutenant Epath," she assured him.

His final words took her by surprise and it registered briefly on her face. Help? Recommending a lawyer who could help was one thing, but offering his own help should she need it was a strange concept given that they constantly butted heads on just about everything.
Back to top Go down
Kejal Buris
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Technical Precision

PostSubject: Re: Small Details... Big Impact   Small Details... Big Impact I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 26, 2016 7:02 pm

Buris saw what he interpreted as shock written across Archangel's face at his offer of help. He had two choices right now - pull back and clarify 'within my duty', or plunge forward like an idiot. Unfortunately for his prudence, he wasn't just looking at his Captain - he was looking at a now-single mother. He'd been raised around too many. His voice was soft. "I do not take family lightly, Captain."

Still, he was smart enough to end the personal comments at that. These two worked best when they could put the Fleet between them.

He just took a breath and glanced at the wall, then back to her. "I apologize if I spoke hastily, sir. I did not mean to imply that you would not take appropriate care of your children, but another couple I saw breaking up on another vessel made the, if you'll excuse me for saying so, asinine choice to hide the situation from their children until the resentments had already formed. With all due respect, Captain, we have enough emotionally scarred individuals aboard this vessel; it's in the best interest of everyone to do everything possible to prevent the creation of three more."

He tried to smile slightly - despite only having met the girls a few times, he certainly had nothing against them; and when the teacher's lesson plans came across his desk, he actually did take time to review them - he'd offered suggestions, but he was no teacher, and let the civilian in charge of the program mostly do as she saw fit.

The moment passed and he sighed. "I was in charge of both departments aboard the Bellerophon, as you know. Until we receive our appointed replacement, I'll continue to liaise with Ensign Kaz, and I'll see that things keep running smoothly in Main Engineering. I'm certain they have things well in hand, but reports do have an unfortunate habit of piling up."
Back to top Go down
Archangel T'Koris
Captain
Captain

1 Year Service
Art Contribution

PostSubject: Re: Small Details... Big Impact   Small Details... Big Impact I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 26, 2016 7:30 pm

"The only time I will lie to my children is when it concerns either information that will bring immediate and significant danger to them, or information that is for Starfleet personnel only," Archangel remarked. "As far as they are aware, their parents' careers have drawn them apart, which is as close to the truth as I can be." That was also as close to the truth as she could offer Kejal, senior officer or not. He wasn't privy to her Intelligence files, nor the Romulan situation.

Two more emotionally scarred individuals, Lieutenant, she thought to herself although she didn't correct him aloud. That ship has long left dry dock. He had a point though. The Phoenix seemed to be the Fleet's proving ground and magnet for all manner of misfits who were otherwise bounced from vessel to vessel. She took them all in and, for better or worse, got them to work together.

Turning her attention back to the business of running the ship, she considered his words about the Engineering department. "Ensign Kaz is certainly capable of running the department on both her own and on her symbiont's previous hosts' experience, but a senior officer still has to sign off the paperwork in the interim. I was the chief engineer on the Tenth Fleet's flagship for many years. I'm sure that between the three of us, we'll kep the ship together until we can get back to Starbase Athena to pick up our temporary chief."
Back to top Go down
Kejal Buris
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Technical Precision

PostSubject: Re: Small Details... Big Impact   Small Details... Big Impact I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 03, 2016 1:53 am

He nodded slowly, though he heard something strange in T'Koris' voice. He didn't exactly like it, but he decided to leave it be. The woman was going through enough, she didn't need his moral judgments. Just because he wasn't in favor of the idea of a CO having a romantic relationship with a member of their crew didn't mean it was his place to comment either. "Understood, Captain."

There was actual respect behind it, for one of the first times. She glanced way at his comment of trying not to create three newly scarred individuals - as though he'd miscounted somewhere.

Still, business was more comfortable for both of them. Like running Engineering. "Aye, ma'am, I can go inform Kaz that you and I will be picking up the slack together."

He smiled thinly and finished the thought - a devious one, to be sure. "If only to see the look on her face in reaction to that statement."

He took a step back, still watching her.
Back to top Go down
Archangel T'Koris
Captain
Captain

1 Year Service
Art Contribution

PostSubject: Re: Small Details... Big Impact   Small Details... Big Impact I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 03, 2016 7:11 pm

There was a note of surprise in Archangel's expression as she thought she detected a note of actual respect in Kejal's voice.  It was something that she had often found lacking in their interactions with one another.  While she wasn't complaining about this, she did find it a somewhat strange new occurrence.

The return to talking about ship's business was definitely a more comfortable situation for both of the officers and she found comfort in that fact, even if he was being somewhat confusing.  While she didn't always get on with the Trill in Engineering, she wasn't sure she understood why she would have any particular expression on her face if Kejal told her about the temporary arrangement.

"I'm not sure I follow."
Back to top Go down
Kejal Buris
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Technical Precision

PostSubject: Re: Small Details... Big Impact   Small Details... Big Impact I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 04, 2016 12:38 am

Buris looked at her and actually couldn't help smiling; although it was faint. He generally wasn't a light-hearted individual, so even seeing the faint upturn of the corner of his lips would be notable. The fact that the two of them were both unusually observant would only make it moreso. There was humor in this.

"Captain, with all due respect, I imagine that most officers aboard this ship would have a... difficult time comprehending that you and I will be working together voluntarily on a project, especially one involving Engineering. Ensign Kaz has seen that first-hand, and she and I... did not start off on the best foot either, as you may well imagine."

He shifted his posture slightly. "So I imagine that there may be some shock on her face when she hears that we will be working together to cover the Engineering reports."
Back to top Go down
Archangel T'Koris
Captain
Captain

1 Year Service
Art Contribution

PostSubject: Re: Small Details... Big Impact   Small Details... Big Impact I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 04, 2016 3:31 pm

Since she rarely saw any form of positive expression, the smile on Kejal's face, as faint as it was, was another surprise. Apparently, this impromptu meeting was full of surprises.

"I think that, given the scuttlebutt rampant on this ship, many members of the crew will find it hard to believe that the three of us are capable of of forming any kind of working partnership," Archangel replied, a wry smile appearing on her face. "However, we are all Starfleet officers and I expect that we'll manage. It would be quite amusing to see her expression though. In the few shifts I've helped out in Engineering, I always got the impression she would rather pull a triple shift than have me helping."
Back to top Go down
Kejal Buris
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Technical Precision

PostSubject: Re: Small Details... Big Impact   Small Details... Big Impact I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 05, 2016 12:31 am

Buris' expression continued as one of amusement, as he thought of what she was saying... and realized it was absolutely true. He glanced to the side to hide his expression, but otherwise was rooted where he'd been standing. "She does that to you too? I thought it was because I had to be in Main Engineering to handle shield alignment, rather than on the Bridge... and because she'd ended up with a harmonic collapse in the recrystallization chamber because she refused to take my suggestion to actually use the portable shield generators around the core. I guess I should be glad it's not personal."

He tried to remain serious. "But, I'm sure that she'll accept the situation for the time being. Especially if it means that you and I are less likely to be in what I'm sure she sees as her engine room. We've all been there, of course - I don't like it when people monkey with my plasma injector staging routines either."

He shrugged lightly, and there was a hint of something there, a story he wasn't telling - one that probably related to one of the not-so-bright marks on his permanent record.
Back to top Go down
Archangel T'Koris
Captain
Captain

1 Year Service
Art Contribution

PostSubject: Re: Small Details... Big Impact   Small Details... Big Impact I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 05, 2016 5:41 pm

Having read through the Bajoran's entire record, Archangel was sure she remembered something about an incident in Engineering on one of the other ships he had served on, but she couldn't remember the details.

The wry smile stayed as she remembered her own tenure as a Chief Engineer on a starship. "I can understand how she might feel about us interfering in her engine room. Whenever the Discovery put in to a starbase for repairs, I was banished from the ship to the station and required to interact with the repair crews through a commlink."

She sighed slightly as she rubbed her brow ridges. "Ensign Kaz and I don't get on due to views held by one of her former hosts, whom I happened to meet while at Starfleet Academy." She held up a hand to forestall any interjections. "I know that the hosts are separate beings with their own merits, but the theory and putting it into practise are rather different things. I still see and hear Juval Kaz whenever she starts talking."
Back to top Go down
Kejal Buris
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Technical Precision

PostSubject: Re: Small Details... Big Impact   Small Details... Big Impact I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 09, 2016 3:01 am

The more Buris heard about this ship, the more he wondered if it was a social experiment by the Admiralty to see how much pressure they could put on a group of officers before they cracked.  The Captain had, until very recently, been married to the Chief Engineer and Second Officer; with children aboard.  At the same time, the de facto assistant in Engineering was a Trill whose symbiont's prior host had been a professor at the Academy.  On his own side, of course, there were the two Cardassians - one of whom he'd tried to kill, and another who had tried to kill him.  There was something wrong with that assignment, and it began to feel far less random.

However, any exploration into that would have to wait.

He couldn't help but nod with a smile at her mention of being banished from her Engine room.  They'd tried doing that to him, but the delicate arrangement of decent SCE-reviewed equipment and field-fashioned Voyager hardware made that impossible.  Still, they had tried, and the maintenance team from Starbase 8 would probably never fully trust him.

"Captain, I have a... suggestion, of sorts.  I am gradually working on putting aside my issues with Lieutenant Epath, and Miss Telak.  Your past issues with the Kaz symbiont may be somewhat less traumatic, but they still affect you.  I do not believe either of us would care to confide our issues with the Ship's Counselor - quite frankly, I don't believe that Ensign Warden would be able to maintain professional objectivity, knowing that I have no regrets in having attempted to annihilate the entire Telak family, save one single point that I did not know at the time: that I was a child, and thanks to a lack of access to a decent intelligence network, did not know that they had decamped immediately prior.  Quite frankly, knowing that Ilana is his coworker, I wouldn't be shocked if he worked to have me dismissed from the Fleet.  I have offered my help to you.  I extend the offer to this point as well."

He looked at her, and finally stepped forward again, leaning slightly over one of the chairs in front of her desk.  "You told me once that this ship ran damn near perfectly.  You were, and remain, correct in that assessment - regardless of outside threats.  If confronting the issues in our various pasts can remove the 'damn near', I think we'd both be happier in the long run."

He straightened again and stepped back, giving her a wider berth.  He recalled her comment while they'd both been at each others' throat; and the mention of it now was probably as close to an actual apology as she'd ever hear out of him.  There was a person in there somewhere, someone who'd joined the Fleet for the right reasons, not just as a last resort.
Back to top Go down
Archangel T'Koris
Captain
Captain

1 Year Service
Art Contribution

PostSubject: Re: Small Details... Big Impact   Small Details... Big Impact I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 10, 2016 5:42 pm

Archangel sighed quietly, leaning back in her chair and observing Kejal for a moment. He was right that she didn't reveal anything to the ship's counsellor. In fact, she went out of her way to avoid the counsellor no matter what the issue was. That included the majority of her doctor-ordered sessions. Even with Gabriel, she had kept the majority of the problems to herself rather than concern him any more.

Kejal, however, needed an answer. It was only polite, after all, given the offer he had just made.

"If I ever talked to Counsellor Warden, chances are he'd request an immediate transfer off this ship," she remarked, smiling slightly. He had a point, that confiding the problems in their pasts might help the ship function. If nothing else, it would diminish the number of crew members with unspoken problems by two. Given the number on the ship, it probably wouldn't make a dent in the total population, but at least she and Kejal would, hopefully, not be at each other's throats and a captain with a more level head could only be better.

On the other hand, Archangel and Kejal had only just been able to tolerate being on the bridge at the same time since he had come on board. Did she really want to think about telling him things that he could use against her?

After a moment's thought, she decided to return his previous revelations about his situation with the Cardassians on board and tell him about the engineering ensign.

"My issues with Ensign Kaz... The previous host for the Kaz symbiont, Juval, made no secret about his feelings for Romulans. I happened to catch one of his legendary speeches while I was at the Academy. He just came up to the professor while we were on drill on the quad and started on how we would pollute the Vulcan culture. Pretty much colours your ideas of any Trill by the name of Kaz."
Back to top Go down
Kejal Buris
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Technical Precision

PostSubject: Re: Small Details... Big Impact   Small Details... Big Impact I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 12, 2016 4:30 am

The pain of racism - or specieism - burned deep in anyone who'd ever suffered it. He sat down in the chair and looked at her, thinking for a moment. Really, he didn't have anything constructive to say, but he'd suffered a bit himself over his career, and at the Academy. He exhaled softly and looked down at his hands. "I suppose, Captain, that it's cold comfort to tell you that I can empathize with that - not every Academy professor has what I'd call decorum. I haven't met many Trill, but what little I know says that the symbionts guide their hosts to improve on the mistakes of those prior. Ensign Leela Kaz has been serving aboard this vessel longer than me. Has she shown any indication of agreeing with Professor Juval Kaz's behavior or beliefs? Quite frankly, Captain, if she can work with Epath or Telak, she can probably work with anyone without significant bigotry."

He looked at her and sighed. "There were... a few individuals... at the Academy, and my early postings, who believed that I was commissioned in some sort of 'affirmative action' program. It was a point of some... consternation, as you may imagine. I may have developed a bit of a thick skin after I was brigged the first time, but there are times that uneducated comments by those in the Federation who should know better have hurt worse than a disruptor burst. Sir."

He watched her carefully, waiting for a response. Again, he was treading thin ice, and was afraid of an explosion.
Back to top Go down
Archangel T'Koris
Captain
Captain

1 Year Service
Art Contribution

PostSubject: Re: Small Details... Big Impact   Small Details... Big Impact I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 15, 2016 2:17 pm

"I know that the hosts change the symbiont and they don't necessarily have the same views, but you're forgetting one fact," Archangel replied with a wry smile. "Romulans are, by nature and inherently paranoia species. It's not something we shake easily."

The mention of troubles at the Academy brought several memories back to her that she would much rather have forgotten. Much like Kejal, she had had to spend the majority of her four years dealing with pompous, over-priviledged cadets who thought they were superior to her simply because they were from Federation bloodlines and not hybrids. It had been a long and gruelling process, especially with her temper. After putting another cadet in the medbay during a combat class after losing that temper, her superintendent had given her one last chance to get it together or be expelled.

"The Academy is certainly an unforgiving place for those who are in any way different from the Federation norm," she mused. "Most of my fellow cadets believed that either my mother used her connections to get me into the Academy, or the Romulan government put me there as a spy."
Back to top Go down
Kejal Buris
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Technical Precision

PostSubject: Re: Small Details... Big Impact   Small Details... Big Impact I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 14, 2016 4:13 am

Buris sat, and perhaps for one of the first times in a long time, he just listened to her. Just the tone of her voice told him how much they had in common; something he wasn't used to noticing in non-Bajorans. He didn't trust easily, not on a personal level, but this woman, his Captain, had more than earned it. She could have shoved him off the ship, to another vessel. Instead she'd kept him here, against both their better judgments. Maybe this was why. Maybe they'd needed this.

His voice was soft as he looked down. "Yeah... mistrust runs deep, on both sides. In fact, I think part of the problem the Federation had with the Rebellion was that we dealt with Romulans when the Federation wouldn't give us weapons or help. I've crosswired a few of the old Romulan nuclear mines into Federation probe casings in my time, and I used to know some of the covert frequencies... because even though I was just a kid, I was one of the ones in my cell who didn't die, and got away. So I configured the signal unit when the Feds... the Federation... wouldn't supply us even with food rations."

Obviously, Buris didn't know that her being a Romulan spy wasn't entirely untrue. But he didn't care either. She was his Captain. As far as he was concerned, he'd follow her into hell - because she'd lead him out the other side.

"Though even with the free trade, I haven't been able to get my hands on any osol twists in years, at least not legally. They're an acquired taste, sure, but Romulans I dealt with always used to pack a few extra in the field ration packs they dropped for us because there were kids; just like the Federation would pack taffy or butterscotch, and of course planetside Bajorans would put any spare jumja sticks they had. I wasn't huge on the really sweet things, though."

He smiled for a moment, thinking about the faces some of the others made at the rather tart treats. But when he looked back up at the Captain, his wistfulness was gone. "But, I will say, with all due respect, Captain - to you and certain closed-minded Professors, that after my time in cell block 3-C, that I've come to see the Academy as a kind of necessary crucible, burning away what we were before and hardening the core of what we really are. Which is, in the end, Starfleet."

He shrugged - poetry and poetic thought weren't really his thing, but there was an inkling there, something that could have been developed by someone greater.
Back to top Go down
Archangel T'Koris
Captain
Captain

1 Year Service
Art Contribution

PostSubject: Re: Small Details... Big Impact   Small Details... Big Impact I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 26, 2016 9:02 pm

Listening to his stories about the Occupation, Archangel quietly filed the information away in her mind. Although his file had said that he had been in the Resistance, it had, understandably, been rather sparse on the details. Learning more about him would hopefully allow her to figure out what was going on in his head during the many times they were likely to disagree in the future. As much as she was cautiously optimistic about this seemingly newfound understanding, she was also rather sure that it wouldn't last.

She thought about his words concerning the Academy. In her entire graduating class, not one of them had been unchanged by their experiences over the course of four years. Including herself.

"You're right. No one leaves the Academy the same as they went in," she replied thoughtfully. "Starfleet takes us in and almost seems to ensure that we can never return to a civilian life."
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Small Details... Big Impact   Small Details... Big Impact I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Small Details... Big Impact
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Aurora Fleet :: Aurora Fleet :: USS Phoenix :: Shore Leave-
Jump to: