Aurora Fleet
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Current Year: 2379

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» *poking the fleet part deux*
The Lives of Kaz I_icon_minitimeby Archangel T'Koris Thu Jul 15, 2021 12:57 pm

» Isn't this a fine kettle of fish?
The Lives of Kaz I_icon_minitimeby Archangel T'Koris Sat Dec 17, 2016 5:36 am

» *pokes the fleet*
The Lives of Kaz I_icon_minitimeby Julia Rellek Sat Nov 12, 2016 12:23 am

» Hrafn is back (sort of)
The Lives of Kaz I_icon_minitimeby Archangel T'Koris Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:00 pm

» Merger
The Lives of Kaz I_icon_minitimeby Archangel T'Koris Fri May 06, 2016 7:04 pm

» Uninvited Guests [Zero / Leela]
The Lives of Kaz I_icon_minitimeby Zero Alpha Wed May 04, 2016 4:50 pm

» Seeing Clearly
The Lives of Kaz I_icon_minitimeby Archangel T'Koris Wed May 04, 2016 4:42 pm

» Season 2, Mission 2: Light the Way
The Lives of Kaz I_icon_minitimeby Elena Tarunt Tue May 03, 2016 10:37 pm

» FACECLAIMS
The Lives of Kaz I_icon_minitimeby Guest Tue May 03, 2016 12:24 pm

» Application:John Brown
The Lives of Kaz I_icon_minitimeby Julia Rellek Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:08 am

Affiliates

The Lives of Kaz

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Leela Kaz
Ensign
Ensign

Holodiction
Most Improved
Best Duo
Art Contribution
Completed Plot and Bio Page

The Lives of Kaz Empty
PostSubject: The Lives of Kaz   The Lives of Kaz I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 16, 2015 3:36 pm

I have had so much fun exploring the character of Leela Kaz and really wanted to add some dimension and depth to her. So I've begun to create some short stories centered around Kaz's past hosts. My goal is to write one or two stories for each host to examine and explore the character further.
Back to top Go down
Leela Kaz
Ensign
Ensign

Holodiction
Most Improved
Best Duo
Art Contribution

The Lives of Kaz Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Lives of Kaz   The Lives of Kaz I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 16, 2015 5:28 pm

Acts of War

Juval Kaz- Seventh Host

[2331]

Captain Juval Kaz sat in his ready room attached to the bridge of the USS Excelsior reviewing recent reports and slowly working on a cup of tea sitting on the desk. Thoughts about recent events weighed heavily on his mind. He tapped a few controls on his console and brought up his personal logs and selected a new entry. "Computer begin log..."

Captains log, supplemental. I just received a disturbing communiqué from Admiral Jacobs at Starfleet Command. He seems to believe that the Klingons are at it again in the Archanis Sector. The space stations along the Klingon boarder are picking up, what they believe to be, cloaked ships compromising Federation space. The Klingons... They violate our boarders and then sneak off. And then we shrug our shoulders and act like it didn't happen. Over the past several years relations with the Klingons have been strained, at best. The Khitomer Accords seem to be a piece of paper that they respect when it suits them. Admiral Jacobs wants us to take the Excelsior to the Archanis Sector as a show of force. Poke our heads around and see what we turn up. My first officer, Commander Marks, seem to think war is inevitable. I like to think there is another way. Decades of peace. These Humans have forgotten what war was like, but I haven't. I have seen war. I have seen the implications and I know it must be avoided. If the Klingons are going to pick today to start a war they'll have to find another Starfleet Captain. To paraphrase our friends to day is not a good day to die.

Juval took his last sip of tea. He stood up and made his way to the bridge. A young commander looked to Kaz as he approached the bridge. "Sir, we're approaching the Archanis Sector. Ive ordered us to disengage warp engines and establish a position off of Starbase 217. The commander had been a pleasant surprise. Commander Marks was very young, especially to Kaz, and prone to the occasional brash decision but that is to be expected. He was promoted to Commander with very little deep space experience. Marks had spent the bulk of his career at the academy training Starfleets best and brightest. Kaz had selected him personally because of his attitude, he was convinced he could mold the hound officer.

"Very well Commander, thank you." Kaz replied He looked to his communications officer. "Ensign Gutiérrez, let Starbase 217 know we've arrived and will be taking over their investigation." The Captain took a seat in his chair as his operations officer began to speak. "Sir, I'm detecting distortions in the lower EM bands. Could be a cloaked ship." Ensign Sharp said. "Good work Lieutenant." Kaz said turning to commander Marks. "Commander you better take us to yellow alert. Lieutenant keep scanning lets see if we've gotten someone's attention."

The communications console began to beep indicating an incoming transmission. "Sir, someone's taken note of our presence. Ive got an incoming transmission." Gutiérrez said with a slight surprise hanging off her words. "From whom Ensign?" Kaz quickly replied. "I don't know sir. I can't triangulate the signal. Could be cloaked." Gutiérrez added. Captain Kaz stood up and pointed his body towards the viewscreen. "By all means, put it through.

A Klingon face appeared on the screen. A younger man standing on the bridge of what Kaz was able to identify as a Klingon Vor'Cha class battle cruiser. Awfully heavy guns for a peaceful mission. Kaz thought upon the view of the battlecruisers bridge. The Klingon began to speak. "Why does the Federation send a war ship to our boarders?" The Klingon demanded as a scowl appeared on his face. "Its Kaz, Captain Juval Kaz of the USS Excelsior." Kaz added as the Klingon began to interrupt him. "I do not care who you are. Federation takes a stance on our boarders. That could be construed as war." The Klingon injected into the exchange. "And you sending cloaked patrols into the Archanis Sector. That's a party invitation." Kaz had become noticeably angry by the Klingon's assertion that the Federation was trying start a war. The Klingon muttered something unintelligible under his breath. Kaz was certain that fit was some kind of insult involving his mother. "Excuse me... I'm sorry I didn't catch your name." Kaz said. "I am Captain HorChe of the Klingon battlecruiser Cha'Tro." The Klingon asserted. Kaz continued to speak. "Well Captain HorChe surely we can find a solution here....."

The Klingon Captain through his hand in the air in the direction of the Excelsior and uttered one word. "QUL!" Suddenly the lights of phased fire filled the viewscreen and Kaz quickly muttered out. "Red alert. Return Fire! Target their weapons systems and DO NOT. I repeat DO NOT destroy that vessel." Kaz yelled as he made his way back to his chair. The science console along the back wall of the bridge quickly exploded and began to spew flames onto the bridge Kaz was thrown to the floor as Commander Marks hit his comm badge. "Marks to sickbay. Casualties on the bridge." Marks exclaimed. Kaz picked himself up and yelled towards tactical. "Get those damned weapons offline. Now Commander!"

Lieutenant Commander Reese's hands quickly moved across the control panel. "Aye Captain, I'm increasing the yield." The Excelsior let off a shot targeting the ships phased arrays. The violent shaking that overwhelmed the ship quickly subsided. "Commander dispatch repair teams before they get those weapons back online." Kaz said pointing to Commander Marks. "Ensign, hail the damn Klingons again." Kaz shouted out.

The smoke filled bridge of the Klingon battlecruiser appeared on the the Excelsior's viewscreen. "What are you waiting for Captain. Today is a good day to die." The Klingon proudly exclaimed as he sat on his bridge waiting for Captain Kaz to order a death blow. This was not Kaz's first encounter with the Klingons and he had developed a certain fineness when dealing with Klingons. "Oh shut up!" Kaz said. It probably wasn't the most appropriate thing to say but, after all, Kaz was angry. "No one is dying here today. But maybe next time." Kaz added with a slight chuckle. "Now, Captain, your ship sits defenseless. Your people must be made aware that we will protect these stations in Archanis." Kaz stood back up and moved toward the viewscreen. "The Federation will abide by the Khitomer Accords if the High Counsel does."

The Klingons cut off transmission and limped off without another word. Kaz turned to Marks and placed his hand on the Commander's shoulder. "That my friend is how you deal with Klingons." Captain Kaz smiled as Commander Marks began to speak. "Well Captain we may have averted war for another day but I still believe its inevitable." Sorrow filled Marks' face as he spoke those words and deep down Kaz knew he likely right.
Back to top Go down
Leela Kaz
Ensign
Ensign

Holodiction
Most Improved
Best Duo
Art Contribution

The Lives of Kaz Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Lives of Kaz   The Lives of Kaz I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 16, 2015 11:46 pm

Meld

Juval Kaz - Seventh Host

[2352]

Personal log supplemental. Today I celebrate 20 years as the lead Federation ambassador to Vulcan. I have spent the last 20 years acting as a liaison between the Federation counsel and Vulcan High Command. It has been the most rewarding time of my life thus far. Who would of ever thought that this assignment; that I didn't even desire; would turn out to be the passion of my career. This hot desolate emotionless planet is my home. And I'm proud to refer to it as such. It seemed worth documenting. From the standpoint of my mission here all is well. Vulcan is a buzz of activity these days. New scientific breakthroughs seem to happen daily. From a diplomatic standpoint everything here is about the Klingons, just like everywhere else in the Federation.

"Computer, pause recording." The computer beeped acknowledging Kaz's request. He took a moment to reflect on the remainder of his entry and walked to get a cup of tea. He sat back in his chair and took a deep breathe. "Computer resume recording."

On a much more personal note. My dear friend Trebor, my diplomatic counterpart and the first person I met here, is ill. I'll be frank, that's how he likes it, he's dying. He has lived a long full life. Its time. But that doesn't make it hurt any less for me. He's slowly losing his hold on his emotions and its making him open up. He fell asleep last night crying in my arms about his long passed wife. The doctors say he's probably going to go sometime this week. He's asked to see me one last time. I'm about to head to the hospital and I have mixed emotions. My friend, My colleague wild is dying. I am happy though that I got to know Trebor. I am honored that he calls me friend.

Juval entered Trebor's hospital room. He sat up in his bed to greet Kaz. He was weak and appeared to be fragile. His mind was losing hold of emotions and he smiled when Kaz entered the room. This was only the third smile he had seen on the otherwise expressionless face in 20 years The first was the birth of his only grandchild.

Trebor raised his arm and motioned for Kaz to come over to his bed. As he approached the bed Trebor leaned in to his ear and whispered. "My friend, I have one last gift for you." Trebor grabbed Juvals temple. "My mind to your mind. My thoughts to your thoughts..."

Juvals head raced with images from 276 years of the Vulcan's life. As he traveled through the images in Trebor's mind the thoughts began to focus on the emotional regions of the Vulcan's brain. Trebor helped give Kaz an understanding of Vulcan emotions. He had tried to explain it so many times but the words fell short. Kaz was beginning to understand all of the anger, passion, love and a swath of other emotions that Trebor has carried for over two centuries. In that moment he learned that Vulcan's don't take themselves nearly as seriously as Kaz previously believed.

Following several minutes of this journey Trebor removed his hand and his head fell to the pillow. Juvals body gave out and he fell to the floor. As Trebor regained his composure Kaz caught his breathe and was able to stand. Trebor turned to Kaz and said. "Do you see now?" Kaz placed his hand on his friends forehead and said. "Yes my dear friend. I do. Conserve your energy."

Trebor reached up and grabbed Juval's free hand and squeezed. Then without another word his head slumped onto the pillow beneath it and the monitors in the room began to send alarms to the doctors. Juval stepped away as the doctors rushed in. He didn't wait. Juval already knew. His friend was gone. But Trebor did not leave Kaz empty handed. In mere moments Kaz had grasped a new understanding of the Vulcan mind and culture. An understanding that Kaz would carry forward to future hosts. He also imparted his two and a half centuries of Vulcan wisdom.
Back to top Go down
Leela Kaz
Ensign
Ensign

Holodiction
Most Improved
Best Duo
Art Contribution

The Lives of Kaz Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Lives of Kaz   The Lives of Kaz I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 18, 2015 11:26 am

Ambassador

Preta Kaz - Sixth Host

[2317]

Commander Kaz sat in her office on Utopia Panetta sipping tea as she prepared to get all of her thoughts out into her logs. It had been a very big day.

Commander's Log Supplemental.

My design team has gotten the green light for an ambitious new project. It came to me late last week. Imagine a ship bigger then an Excelsior Class cruiser with the fire power of a warship and the presence of a Flagship... My team has started calling it 'Project Ambassador.' They think this ship will help take step forward in diplomacy. After looking at my sketches I think the name may stick. Ambassador Class Starship... has a nice ring. The ship will be equipped with a full phased array and will be the first ship to include standard photon launchers. Needless to say, Starfleet Security loves me right now. The design process is expected to take six moths. We are taking several elements from the Excelsior Class vessels to speed up the design. We hope to begin construction in about 8 months and hopefully within 18 months we'll have a functioning prototype. The only thing that concerns me is the bridge... There isn't enough room. I guess they will just have to deal with a small bridge. Or we could take out the navigation system. Somehow I think they would just rather be cramped. On a much more personal note my poor husband, he's already bracing himself to not see me for 2 years. He knows how I throw myself into my work but he knows how important this is to both me and the Federation. Plus it feels like Jereda's dreams are coming full circle. Going from a warp one test ship to this cruiser. It oddly feels like I've come full circle. End Log.
Back to top Go down
Leela Kaz
Ensign
Ensign

Holodiction
Most Improved
Best Duo
Art Contribution

The Lives of Kaz Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Lives of Kaz   The Lives of Kaz I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 24, 2015 9:33 pm

Stolen

Preta Kaz - Sixth Host

[2319]

Preta sat in the Captain's Ready Room aboard the Ambassador reviewing some final details as she sips on a cup of tea. The time was 0200 and she was alone on the ship. Preta truly valued her late nights alone with the Ambassador. It was when she felt the most connected to this project. The ship may have simply been a collection of metal and conduits but, to Preta, it felt like another child.

Ambassador Design Commander's Log, Supplemental.

Work continues to progress on schedule. The ship is, for the most part, fully operational. Engines are functioning. Weapons systems are online. Sickbay is equipped and online. Shields are functioning within established parameters. The only issue we seem to be having is with some of the bridge station displays but I'm certain we'll have a resolution by tomorrow afternoon. I'm excited to report that we will meet the maiden voyage date two weeks out. I know Captain Mitchell is excited. He's been onboard every day this week. I'm excited and saddened at the prospect of handing the Ambassador over to someone else. But I know he will take good care of her. On a personal note, my family will be thrilled. They have hardly laid eyes on me over the last 18 months. I have planned a surprise vacation for them following the maiden voyage.

END LOG

[Jeffries Tube - Deck 2

Preta laid on her back taking some scans of the power distribution systems. She had always been very hands-on with the Ambassador. After all, she had plunged everything into this vessel. This offspring of her imagination. As Preta took her scans she felt a sudden jolt from the ship. What the hell!

Preta tapped her com badge. "Computer report."

A distinctive and familiar voice filled the area surrounding Preta. "Docking clamps have been dis-engaged."

"What the hell. How is that possible?" Preta murdered.

"Please re-state the question?" The computer added as if it was mocking Preta.

She ignored the computers voice and made her way towards the hatch. She had to ge tot the bottom of this right away. This can't be good. She thought. At the end of the tube she removed the hatch and began to step out.

"Don't move." An unfamiliar voice said from behind Preta as she stood still crouched. Then her worst fear is realized as she feels a phased forced into her back.

Preta slowly raises her hands to signify that they are empty. She pauses for several moments as she planned her next move. In one motion Preta grabbed the barrel of the phased from behind her back and pulled it towards her as she used her other hand to strike the assailant. He immediately fell to the floor. Preta stood over his body and couldn't believe what she saw.... Romulans!

She made her way around the corner to gain access to the internal sensors. She quickly took a scan to determine the threat level. "24! 24 Romulans" Preta stood for a second to let her situation sink in. She was alone. On a vessel, presumably at warp, with 24 Romulans who are presumably stealing her ship. She knew she had to take immediate action or the consequences would be dire. If this ship falls into enemy hands... Preta stopped. She didn't want to think about that prospect.

Alright Preta... its you and 24 Romulans. She racked her brain trying to come up with a solution. Preta was exhausted from the long day and her day just became longer. She yawned. That was when an idea crossed her mind. Sleep! It occurred to her that she could use the environmental control system to release gasses into the air.

Preta makes her way to environmental control. Luckily, on a ship this size, 24 Romulans don't cover a lot of surface area. Once she made her way to environmental control she releases neuraziene gas through the ventilation system. Once the gas is released Preta is able to reroute the communication system and get a signal to the Venture. Who is already in pursuit. Once the Venture caught up they were able to take control of the vessel and arrest the Romulans.

Two weeks later Captain Mitchell took the Ambassador on her shake-down cruise. It went off without any issues. The Romulan government formally denounced the theft. Starfleet never confirmed their suspicion but it is widely believed that the Talk'Shiar is responsible. After the maiden voyage Commander Kaz is promoted to Captain and placed in charge of Starship Design. Less than a year later Kaz is promoted again to Rear-Admiral and is named Director of Starship Design. She serves in that position until her death a couple of short years later.
Back to top Go down
Leela Kaz
Ensign
Ensign

Holodiction
Most Improved
Best Duo
Art Contribution

The Lives of Kaz Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Lives of Kaz   The Lives of Kaz I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 07, 2015 5:29 pm

Tears of the Fallen

Nantia Kaz - Fifth Host

[2300]

Personal Log Supplemental. Ensign Kaz

Nantia took a seat at the desk in her quarters and, with tea in hand, began to record her first log.

So here I am. First day aboard the USS Constitution. I can't believe I'm here. Four years in the academy preceded by two years at the symbiosis commission has all come to this point. I was assigned to this vessel today as an engineering officer serving under Commander Whiting. He seems to be a well qualified chief engineer. I think I can learn a lot about being a Starfleet Engineer from him. I look forward to all he can teach me. I came aboard at Star base 105 and the ship wasted no time getting underway. We are making our way to the Archanis sector. During the briefing we were told to expect battle with the Klingons. All these people seem to care about is war. The Klingons must be stopped. I am not eager to go into battle though, it doesn't seem to suit me, but I'm sure my training will kick in. Should the time come. I'm on duty in an hour so I should begin to make my way down to Engineering. Computer, End Log.

Main Engineering

Nantia was on her back, under the power distribution console. Commander Whiting's feet appeared in her view. "Ensign, how's it going down there?" The Commander said with a certain anticipation in his voice.

"Sir, I'm currently trying to reroute power through the sub relays. I can't seem to get it up." Nantia said. The frustration in her voice was apparent.

"Ensign." Whiting slowly raised his voice. "We need to find a way to fix it. Without power distribution system properly working we could be left high and dry during a battle. Wouldn't it be terrible if we couldn't route power to the shields."

"Understood sir." Nantia took a deep breathe and continued her work. "But what I don't understand... I find the issue. Solve it. Then a new issue crops up. If I didn't know better I would say someone did this to us."

At that moment a jolt ran across the engineering floor. The console Nantia was working on exploded along with several other stations throughout engineering. Smoke began to fill the space surrounding them. She noticed her Commanding Officer fall towards the ground. A voice then came over the communication systems.

=/\="Red Alert, all hands to battle stations."=/\= The voice of the Chief Security Officer quickly dropped from the airwaves as sirens took its place.

Whiting brought himself up to his feet and lurched to the nearby command station. "Damn it! Shields are down to 15%. What the hell did they throw at us. We need to get more power to the shields. Kaz get that power distribution system up."

Nantia scrambled for the tools that had fallen from her hands in the initial blow. "Sir I cant. Every time I transfer power the computer automatically re-routes it back. I think we were victims of sabotage." Another jolt hits and Nantia banged her head on the console. Blood poured from a gash and ran down her face onto her uniform. Nantia continued to try to transfer power to the shields and the Chief Security Officer's voice interrupted the alarms.

=/\=Intruder Alert, Deck 12. Intruder Alert Deck 12, Main Engineering.=/\=

What the hell. Nantia thought as she swung herself from underneath the console. She was going to make an attempt at a weapon. As she appeared from under the console she bumped into a large pair of metal boots. Her eyes glanced up as a Bat'Leth crashing towards her face. As the weapon came down she was able to grab it and pull the Klingon to the floor. As the Klingon fell to the ground Nantia rolled onto her feet. She raised the weapon. Nantia was a small girl. She reached deep inside herself to pull everything she had. She dealt a mortal blow to the Klingon. She then heard a familiar sound as a transporter beam appeared in front of her. Before Nantia could even pick the weapon back up the Klingon officer pulled the triggeron his disruptor and dealt a mortal blow to the Trill.

Juval Kaz wrote, some years later...

Death... its an interesting sensation. No matter how many times you experience it, the myriad of ways one can die. You never grow accustomed to it. And that was certainly the case of Nantia. A young woman who died far too young. A young woman who wanted nothing more then to carry out a great legacy. I can still remember the images that flooded my mind. Her parents, past hosts. It all seemed to slow in that moment. Nantia is one of the few lucky ones though. She lives on, in a manner of speaking, she lives on within Kaz. As long as the symbiont thrives, so does she. As long as the symbiont remains Nantia's vision lives on.
Back to top Go down
Leela Kaz
Ensign
Ensign

Holodiction
Most Improved
Best Duo
Art Contribution

The Lives of Kaz Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Lives of Kaz   The Lives of Kaz I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 21, 2015 1:24 pm

Sins of the State

Heral Kaz - Fourth Host

[2253]

[Capital City Hospital - Capital City, Trill Home-world]

Dr. Heral Kaz sat in the hospital waiting room. He had arrived from his private practice earlier in the afternoon with a patient experiencing a high grade fever. Kaz sipped a cup of tea and scribbled notes in her medical file as he waited for the Doctor to update him on her condition.

Medical File - Kritia Brenkt

The patient is currently on hour 29 of a high grade fever. She came into my private practice today with sweat pouring over her. I asked her why she hadn't sought medical attention earlier and she informed me that she had no way to pay for the services. I had to practically force her to come to the Hospital in Capital City. The patient is terrified of the potential bills that could be amassed from an extended stay. I am worried that her inability to pay may cause problems for the patient. She needs to be hospitalized but I fear the doctors will choose to discharge her.

A doctor emerged from the double swing doors of the hospitals emergency wing. "Dr. Kaz?" The doctor said scanning the room.

Kaz stood and motioned to the doctor. "How is our patient?"

A solemn look came over the young doctors face. "Dr Kaz." He began. "I am sorry to report that the fever has yet to come down. I'm going to give her some Mexotrithate to take home with her. I am hopeful that it will bring the fever down over the next 72 hours..."

Kaz motions to stop the Doctor mid sentence. "Wait! Send h er home. You can't send her home. She'll die doctor. A hospital must monitor the results of the medication."

The young emergency doctor wave his hand to stop him. "Kaz, you know that there is nothing I can do. She can't afford an extended hospital stay. Take her home. Check on her every 24 hours. Hopefully between the medication and her body she'll have a fighting chance."

"That's a lie and you know it!" Kaz couldn't hold his temper back any longer. "This is a particularly virulent strain and without constant care she'll be dead in those 72 hours."

The Trill doctor motioned to a nurse who rolled the patient to Kaz in a wheelchair. The nurse handed the medication to Kaz and the doctor and nurse disappeared throught the double swing doors.

Kaz took the patient home where she died from her fever 57 hours later. Heral's mind raced with anger, frustration and outrage at what he had seen. The state hospital would let this woman die before funding her care. It was on that day that Kaz's life-long mission became clear. He closed his private practice the following week and moved into the poorest areas of Trill. He practiced medicine for people that the state seemed to have abandoned. His goal was to help these people live and hold out. He sensed political and economic change coming quickly to Trill. These people would only have to hang on for a few more years.
Back to top Go down
Leela Kaz
Ensign
Ensign

Holodiction
Most Improved
Best Duo
Art Contribution

The Lives of Kaz Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Lives of Kaz   The Lives of Kaz I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 19, 2015 11:00 pm

The Price of Progress

Jereda Kaz- Third Host

[2297]

"Jereda Kaz was an accomplished designer and engineer. He was a leading mind of his generation and a celebrated genius. He was also a shy and timid man. He always look awkward and out-of-place. A creature full of bad habits, a stutter and coping mechanisms to cloud his wide array of anxiety issues. By our current standards, he likely would have never passed the tests needed to become joined. He lived in an era where new discoveries were around every corner. Trill society was changing by the moment. And Jereda, sat, locked away in his lab in his private research facility biting his nails through his rise to scientific and engineering greatness. Over the generations he has grown to legend status among our people. For as accomplished as he was, he lacked the social skills of a child. It took him seven months to muster up the courage to ask his future wife out on a date. She was his rock, Naralia, a test pilot. The pair seemed odd together, but it worked for them. Naralia was vibrant and full of life. She was Jereda's public image. It was sad to see the pair separated so early. She was essential to his success and also kept his anxiety in check. She calmed him down when he needed it. So, was he a great man? Yes. But he was far from what the history books portray. He was a man with flaws. He was a man with more than his fair share of issues. But he was the man that shaped our future and the ramifications of his work are still felt to this day. He is, ultimately, the reason I can stand here today wearing this uniform."

-Preta Kaz

Speech given at a celebration honoring the 100th anniversary of the first successful warp flight. (part 1)

[2195]

Two years before the first successful warp flight.

He stood at his station in the Command Centre for the test flight of the warp engine. Breaking the speed of light had been his mission for a decade and today was to be the day. The tips of his fingers were firmly lodged between his teeth. Over the course of several hours he had managed to bite off all of his remaining finger nails.

He had spent hours trying to talk Naralia out of taking the flight but, the truth was, she was the best test pilot on Trill. "Naralia to command, all systems are green and I am prepared for take off. Can you confirm?" She sat in the cockpit and pulled the cover of her helmet down over her eyes.

"Ack ... Acknowledged... P...p...please please await instruct...intructions." Jereda managed to force out as the trepidation of having his wife in that cockpit began to overwhelm him. He looked through his control panel one last time to confirm that the vessel was warp ready. With the pushing of a single button he reopened communications with the vessel. N...N...Naralia you a..are cleared... cleared for w...w...w...warp sp...speed. I... I... Love love you!. See see you in a f ... f ... few light yea... years." He closed his eyes and his head sank. Jereda slowly slid into the chair sitting directly behind him. There was nothing he could do now but wait and watch.

"I love you Jereda." Naralia flipped a switch and ran the final pre-ignition sequence. The engines began a quiet rumble that slowly escalated into a violent shake, she wasn't alarmed, it was exactly as planned. As acceleration began he monitored the readouts and reported back to the command Centre. "Stage 2 complete. All readings are within tolerance. Request final clearance to ignite stage 3." She calmly requested.

Jereda simply gave a single nod indicating that they were indeed ready to launch the final sequence and break the warp barrier. An unknown voice came through her helmet. "You are clear for stage 3." Jereda was too nervous to speak. He was all to aware of the price of failure.

With the final command. Naralia lifted the red cover and flipped the final switch. It was an awe inspiring sight. Stars that had just been stationary began to stream and various shades of white, blue and purple started to fly past the windows surrounding the cockpit. "Holy shit!" What else could she say. It had worked. She had crossed the threshold. She was going faster than the speed of light. For a single moment time, for all involved, stood still. The moment seemed endless. As her eyes were lost in the seemingly endless tunnel of warped light her complacency was interrupted by a warning alarm. "Damn!" She looked down to her console. "The antimatter, injectors! I thought we fixed that!" She reached down and attempted to abort the flight, to no avail. "They're fused! Shit!"

The back end of her vessel began to tilt upward and the vessel was suddenly sitting upright. As the ship started to tumble the integrity of the ships warp field began to de-stabilize. "Jereda!" She knew he couldn't hear her but somehow it comforted her to call for her love. In the final moments the warp field collapsed and the ship tumbled into normal space. Thrown end-over-end it move through space like a toy tossed into the air. The stresses were too much for the ship to bear and it was tore apart in the process. The flight ended in one final explosion. Leaving nothing behind into the space it had once occupied.

Jereda had watched his readouts in terror, knowing that there was nothing he could do to save his beloved. His head sank to his desk as crowd gathered around to comfort him. As his head hit the desk his arms wrapped around his head and hid his face from view. "She... She... She's g...g...g..gone." He whispered.

[2297]

"The lost of his wife almost de-realized the entire project. She was his anchor, in an uncomfortable life. After months of grief, Jereda, found a new steam to get the project finished. This time he wasn't doing it for himself or for Trill. It was all for her. He spent two years completely redesigning the injectors. And was ultimately successful. But the really story of Jereda isn't a story of engineering or conquering the stars. But it's a story of the heart and of grief. You have to understand that to truly understand his drive and motivations. He may have been awkward, but to one person he was everything and he never forgot that. So let's commemorate that sacrifices that made all of this possible. In the spirit of Jereda, let us not forget, that one person really made this possible. The guilt of that loss weighs heavy and is still present often."

-Preta Kaz

Speech given at a celebration honoring the 100th anniversary of the first successful warp flight. (part 2)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

The Lives of Kaz Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Lives of Kaz   The Lives of Kaz I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Lives of Kaz
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Aurora Fleet :: Deep Space :: General Discussion :: Art and Literature-
Jump to: