Aurora Fleet
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Current Year: 2379

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» *poking the fleet part deux*
Time For Something New I_icon_minitimeby Archangel T'Koris Thu Jul 15, 2021 12:57 pm

» Isn't this a fine kettle of fish?
Time For Something New I_icon_minitimeby Archangel T'Koris Sat Dec 17, 2016 5:36 am

» *pokes the fleet*
Time For Something New I_icon_minitimeby Julia Rellek Sat Nov 12, 2016 12:23 am

» Hrafn is back (sort of)
Time For Something New I_icon_minitimeby Archangel T'Koris Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:00 pm

» Merger
Time For Something New I_icon_minitimeby Archangel T'Koris Fri May 06, 2016 7:04 pm

» Uninvited Guests [Zero / Leela]
Time For Something New I_icon_minitimeby Zero Alpha Wed May 04, 2016 4:50 pm

» Seeing Clearly
Time For Something New I_icon_minitimeby Archangel T'Koris Wed May 04, 2016 4:42 pm

» Season 2, Mission 2: Light the Way
Time For Something New I_icon_minitimeby Elena Tarunt Tue May 03, 2016 10:37 pm

» FACECLAIMS
Time For Something New I_icon_minitimeby Guest Tue May 03, 2016 12:24 pm

» Application:John Brown
Time For Something New I_icon_minitimeby Julia Rellek Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:08 am

Affiliates

Time For Something New

Go down 
2 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
T'Lara
Petty Officer 3rd Class
Petty Officer 3rd Class

Time For Something New Empty
PostSubject: Time For Something New   Time For Something New I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 29, 2015 5:08 pm

T'Lara walked through the decks, familiarizing herself with where everything was located. She made a mental note to visit sickbay for a physical before they set out for their mission, but first she wanted to introduce herself to the captain. Going to the nearest computer panel, she asked, "Where is the location of Captain T'Koris?"

Captain Archangel T'Koris is located in the Captain's Ready Room on Deck one

T'Lara headed to the nearest turbolift and said, "Deck one" in an even tone.

When the turbolift doors opened she stepped out. Feeling slightly out-of-place, she went to the door and pressed the chime, then waited for the captain to respond.
Back to top Go down
Archangel T'Koris
Captain
Captain

Starfleet Starfleet Award of Merit Command
1 Year Service
Art Contribution
Completed Plot and Bio Page
Participated in the first mission

PostSubject: Re: Time For Something New   Time For Something New I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 29, 2015 6:59 pm

[Captain's Ready Room]

As the door chime rang, Archangel looked up from the computer terminal with a mildly surprised expression. She hadn't been expecting anyone, as far as she was aware, but that didn't mean that people didn't just drop by when they needed her.

Setting her cup of tea down next to the faintly purring Tribble on her desk, she called out for the visitor to enter, smiling slightly at the sight of one of the newest members of her crew.

"Hello, T'Lara, isn't it? Come in, please. Replicator's over there if you want something, then have a seat. What can I do for you?"
Back to top Go down
T'Lara
Petty Officer 3rd Class
Petty Officer 3rd Class

PostSubject: Re: Time For Something New   Time For Something New I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 29, 2015 10:43 pm

Archangel T'Koris wrote:
[Captain's Ready Room]

As the door chime rang, Archangel looked up from the computer terminal with a mildly surprised expression.  She hadn't been expecting anyone, as far as she was aware, but that didn't mean that people didn't just drop by when they needed her.

Setting her cup of tea down next to the faintly purring Tribble on her desk, she called out for the visitor to enter, smiling slightly at the sight of one of the newest members of her crew.

"Hello, T'Lara, isn't it?  Come in, please.  Replicator's over there if you want something, then have a seat.  What can I do for you?"

T'Lara calmly stepped into the room, looking completely confident and in control, an expression her mother hadn't neglected to instill upon her.

"I am T'Lara," she answered. "Thank you, she added as she went to the replicator. "Vulcan Spice tea, hot," she ordered. Ordinarily she wouldn't accept a person's hospitality if she wasn't hungry or thirsty. On Vulcan, she would have politely declined. But since she was here in Starfleet, she had quickly learned to adjust to the dominant human customs.

Once the replicator formulated the ingredients and the drink appeared, she took it and blew it once before sitting down across from the captain.

"I wanted to formally introduce myself," she began. "But paradoxically I also wanted this meeting to be informal, that is, outside of rank." T'Lara had heard so many stories from her father about crewmembers who didn't get along with him because they hadn't talked to each other in a personal manner. Even though most of her life was centered on the Vulcan culture, her human father had also influenced her. Although she hadn't experienced any problems with any of her commanding officers in the past, it was still possible that dealing with any disagreement without being previously acquainted could be difficult. At any rate, the practice seemed perfectly logical.

She held the teacup firmly with both hands. Then she completely switched tactics and the human half of her took over.

"Tell me about yourself, Captain," she implored. "Where did you come from?"

It was a route she had never taken with conversation before. But when looked at from the perspective of a starship crewmember, or even an ambassador like the great Ambassador Sarek, the logic of small talk could not be ignored.
Back to top Go down
Archangel T'Koris
Captain
Captain

1 Year Service
Art Contribution

PostSubject: Re: Time For Something New   Time For Something New I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 30, 2015 8:19 am

Archangel picked up her own cup of tea as the Vulcan sat down, taking a sip and pushing the Tribble to one side of her desk. She did raise an eyebrow slightly at the questioning, but didn't think much of it. It was only natural for a new member of the crew to be curious.

"I was born on Starbase 173," she replied evenly. "And yourself? I believe your father's human, isn't he?"
Back to top Go down
T'Lara
Petty Officer 3rd Class
Petty Officer 3rd Class

PostSubject: Re: Time For Something New   Time For Something New I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 30, 2015 10:44 pm

Archangel T'Koris wrote:
Archangel picked up her own cup of tea as the Vulcan sat down, taking a sip and pushing the Tribble to one side of her desk.  She did raise an eyebrow slightly at the questioning, but didn't think much of it.  It was only natural for a new member of the crew to be curious.

"I was born on Starbase 173," she replied evenly.  "And yourself?  I believe your father's human, isn't he?"

"My father is human," T'Lara confirmed. "He's currently an Admiral in Starfleet Command. I was born on Earth, but I spent my entire life in Shi'Kahr on Vulcan." She took another sip of her tea. "My father was my primary influence for joining Starfleet. My brother followed the Vulcan way and went to the Science Academy."
She paused before continuing. She had never told anyone this, had never been this vocal with anyone. She doubted she would ever act like this again. Then she decided to be even more ambitious. She had told the captain about her ambition to join Starfleet, she wanted to know something about Archangel.

"May I make a personal query?" she asked.
Back to top Go down
Archangel T'Koris
Captain
Captain

1 Year Service
Art Contribution

PostSubject: Re: Time For Something New   Time For Something New I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 01, 2015 7:33 am

T'Lara wrote:
"My father is human," T'Lara confirmed. "He's currently an Admiral in Starfleet Command. I was born on Earth, but I spent my entire life in Shi'Kahr on Vulcan." She took another sip of her tea. "My father was my primary influence for joining Starfleet. My brother followed the Vulcan way and went to the Science Academy."
She paused before continuing. She had never told anyone this, had never been this vocal with anyone. She doubted she would ever act like this again. Then she decided to be even more ambitious. She had told the captain about her ambition to join Starfleet, she wanted to know something about Archangel.

"May I make a personal query?" she asked.

Ah, yes. While Archangel was aware of T'Lara's father's position in Starfleet from her personnel file, the rest hadn't been in the file. It was certainly interesting to know, though. She had always found that the more information she had about her crew, the easier it was to know which of those she could trust in a crisis situation.

Setting her cup aside, she tilted her head slightly to one side in curiosity. "Of course. You don't need to ask. If I can't answer the question, I'll let you know."
Back to top Go down
T'Lara
Petty Officer 3rd Class
Petty Officer 3rd Class

PostSubject: Re: Time For Something New   Time For Something New I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 01, 2015 8:50 am

All this time, T'Lara's tone of voice hadn't wavered. It had remained an even monotone, like most Vulcans normally talked.

"What inspired you to join Starfleet?" she asked Archangel.
Back to top Go down
Archangel T'Koris
Captain
Captain

1 Year Service
Art Contribution

PostSubject: Re: Time For Something New   Time For Something New I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 01, 2015 9:00 am

T'Lara wrote:
All this time, T'Lara's tone of voice hadn't wavered. It had remained an even monotone, like most Vulcans normally talked.

"What inspired you to join Starfleet?" she asked Archangel.

A slight smile tugged at one corner of Archangel's mouth. It didn't seem like a strange question to ask a captain, but it wasn't one that was asked very often.

"My mother," she replied honestly. "She's a JAG officer on Starbase 173. When I was younger, we had a bit of an argument and she told me that she didn't believe I could get through the officer exams, let alone make captain." The young Romulan gave a wry smile. "I joined to prove her wrong, and stayed when I found that I was actually good at what I was doing."
Back to top Go down
T'Lara
Petty Officer 3rd Class
Petty Officer 3rd Class

PostSubject: Re: Time For Something New   Time For Something New I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 01, 2015 9:11 am

Archangel T'Koris wrote:

A slight smile tugged at one corner of Archangel's mouth.  It didn't seem like a strange question to ask a captain, but it wasn't one that was asked very often.  

"My mother," she replied honestly.  "She's a JAG officer on Starbase 173.  When I was younger, we had a bit of an argument and she told me that she didn't believe I could get through the officer exams, let alone make captain."  The young Romulan gave a wry smile.  "I joined to prove her wrong, and stayed when I found that I was actually good at what I was doing."

"Ah," T'Lara nodded. She noticed a common theme. Parents had a strong influence on their children's decisions, even among different species.

"My Vulcan mother never approved my decision to join Starfleet," she said. "But that has never caused me to regret it."
Back to top Go down
Archangel T'Koris
Captain
Captain

1 Year Service
Art Contribution

PostSubject: Re: Time For Something New   Time For Something New I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 01, 2015 9:23 am

T'Lara wrote:
"Ah," T'Lara nodded. She noticed a common theme. Parents had a strong influence on their children's decisions, even among different species.

"My Vulcan mother never approved my decision to join Starfleet," she said. "But that has never caused me to regret it."

"I can understand that sentiment," Archangel sympathised. "My Romulan father, once he deigned make contact again, didn't approve of my decision to stay in Starfleet rather than join the Imperial Fleet or help him in his political machinations." She picked up the Tribble that was adventuring its way across her desk, setting it to the side once again. "Are you still on good terms with your parents?"
Back to top Go down
T'Lara
Petty Officer 3rd Class
Petty Officer 3rd Class

PostSubject: Re: Time For Something New   Time For Something New I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 01, 2015 10:09 am

Archangel T'Koris wrote:

"I can understand that sentiment," Archangel sympathised.  "My Romulan father, once he deigned make contact again, didn't approve of my decision to stay in Starfleet rather than join the Imperial Fleet or help him in his political machinations."  She picked up the Tribble that was adventuring its way across her desk, setting it to the side once again.  "Are you still on good terms with your parents?"

"I am. I send letters to them over subspace on a regular basis. Since my brother is still on Vulcan I have no reason to worry about my mother," T'Lara explained. Yes her family was divided, seperated by a distance of lightyears, but she knew that everyone had chosen their paths wisely, and that was all that mattered.

"As for my mother's initial feelings towards me when I left Vulcan, all I can say is that anger is an emotion. I cannot know my mother's true feelings, but I can only hope she understands that my decision was made logically."
Back to top Go down
Archangel T'Koris
Captain
Captain

1 Year Service
Art Contribution

PostSubject: Re: Time For Something New   Time For Something New I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 01, 2015 10:18 am

T'Lara wrote:
"I am. I send letters to them over subspace on a regular basis. Since my brother is still on Vulcan I have no reason to worry about my mother," T'Lara explained. Yes her family was divided, seperated by a distance of lightyears, but she knew that everyone had chosen their paths wisely, and that was all that mattered.

"As for my mother's initial feelings towards me when I left Vulcan, all I can say is that anger is an emotion. I cannot know my mother's true feelings, but I can only hope she understands that my decision was made logically."

"I'm sure that your mother must experience a little pride or sense of achievement that her children are doing so well for themselves," Archangel replied. "Even though Vulcans have mastered the fine arts of emotional suppression and logic, the emotional undercurrents are still there and still stronger than any human can imagine."

Deciding that it was perhaps time to steer the subject away from family matters, she continued: "Why did you chose to go down the enlisted track rather than officer? From what I've seen of your file and your work, you would have been an ideal candidate."
Back to top Go down
T'Lara
Petty Officer 3rd Class
Petty Officer 3rd Class

PostSubject: Re: Time For Something New   Time For Something New I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 01, 2015 11:16 am

"I was unsure of my decision in the beginning," T'Lara admitted. "I did not know what would be best for me. Since my father chose the enlisted route when he first applied for Starfleet I decided to do the same. After many years he changed his mind and his decision resulted in his eventual promotion to admiral. I have never aspired to be in a command position, so I chose enlisted. Perhaps my ambitions will change in the future, but for now I will remain in enlisted personnel."
Back to top Go down
Archangel T'Koris
Captain
Captain

1 Year Service
Art Contribution

PostSubject: Re: Time For Something New   Time For Something New I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 01, 2015 1:17 pm

Archangel nodded in understanding. "You've still got plenty of time to think about whether or not you want to jump into the officer track and in the meantime, we're glad you have you in the science department. Rellek's put in a good word for you already."
Back to top Go down
T'Lara
Petty Officer 3rd Class
Petty Officer 3rd Class

PostSubject: Re: Time For Something New   Time For Something New I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 01, 2015 3:07 pm

Archangel T'Koris wrote:
Archangel nodded in understanding.  "You've still got plenty of time to think about whether or not you want to jump into the officer track and in the meantime, we're glad you have you in the science department.  Rellek's put in a good word for you already."

"I appreciate the welcoming I have received from everyone. I am eager to discover what working on the Phoenix will be like."

T'Lara was pleased they had gotten around to the subject of work, since working in the science department was what had gotten her here in the first place. It was good to hear that her DH had taken notice of her.
Back to top Go down
Archangel T'Koris
Captain
Captain

1 Year Service
Art Contribution

PostSubject: Re: Time For Something New   Time For Something New I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 01, 2015 5:41 pm

T'Lara wrote:
"I appreciate the welcoming I have received from everyone. I am eager to discover what working on the Phoenix will be like."

T'Lara was pleased they had gotten around to the subject of work, since working in the science department was what had gotten her here in the first place. It was good to hear that her DH had taken notice of her.

"I'm glad you seem to be settling in well. Given the diversity of species on board, it's not always an obvious element," Archangel said. "With the war over, the Phoenix is supposed to be sent out on more scientific missions than diplomatic or combative, so I hope you'll find something to interest you."
Back to top Go down
T'Lara
Petty Officer 3rd Class
Petty Officer 3rd Class

PostSubject: Re: Time For Something New   Time For Something New I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 01, 2015 10:41 pm

Archangel T'Koris wrote:

"I'm glad you seem to be settling in well.  Given the diversity of species on board, it's not always an obvious element," Archangel said.  "With the war over, the Phoenix is supposed to be sent out on more scientific missions than diplomatic or combative, so I hope you'll find something to interest you."

"My feeling has always been that Starfleet provides more of an opportunity than the Vulcan Science Academy. That's another reason I decided to join. There are so many things to discover in space compared to being on a planet surface."

T'Lara considered going back to work at the Academy once she'd spent some time in Starfleet. Now she wasn't so sure. The Science Academy seemed so limited compared to the expansive knowledge found in starship data banks. Perhaps she would bring some of that knowledge back when she was old enough to "retire."
Back to top Go down
Archangel T'Koris
Captain
Captain

1 Year Service
Art Contribution

PostSubject: Re: Time For Something New   Time For Something New I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 02, 2015 7:41 am

T'Lara wrote:
"My feeling has always been that Starfleet provides more of an opportunity than the Vulcan Science Academy. That's another reason I decided to join. There are so many things to discover in space compared to being on a planet surface."

T'Lara considered going back to work at the Academy once she'd spent some time in Starfleet. Now she wasn't so sure. The Science Academy seemed so limited compared to the expansive knowledge found in starship data banks. Perhaps she would bring some of that knowledge back when she was old enough to "retire."

"It is difficult to reign in the curiosity that seems to be abundant in the human psychological make up," Archangel replied with a faint smile. "There seems to be an innate need to go out and poke whatever they don't know or understand with a stick just to see what happens when they do." The smile grew slightly. "I don't doubt that the Vulcans have the same curiosity, but they also have far more experience out in space than humans, not to mention that showing enthusiasm for discovery would be frowned upon."
Back to top Go down
T'Lara
Petty Officer 3rd Class
Petty Officer 3rd Class

PostSubject: Re: Time For Something New   Time For Something New I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 02, 2015 10:16 am

"Yes, all that is true," T'Lara agreed. "Perhaps that means I'm more human than I thought I was." One of the most well-known Vulcan beliefs is IDIC, infinite diversity in infinite combinations. Unfortunately, only some Vulcans fully embraced this belief. A large number of Vulcans still didn't fully accept the idea of working with "illogical" humans, and they didn't allow offworlders to live in Vulcan. Luckily, the number of Vulcans who thought this way was gradually diminishing, and it had been ever since Ambassador Sarek married the human Lady Amanda a century ago. But Vulcans still had that lingering reputation of stubbornness.

T'Lara took another sip of tea. "I suppose that I prefer Starfleet because in some ways it embraces IDIC much more than the Science Academy does. But in defense of my species, I believe Vulcans have become more accepting of humans and Starfleet in the last century."
Back to top Go down
Archangel T'Koris
Captain
Captain

1 Year Service
Art Contribution

PostSubject: Re: Time For Something New   Time For Something New I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 02, 2015 12:52 pm

The last comment made Archangel smile. "Yes, I believe humanity has progressed leaps and bounds since the First Contact between the species, probably thanks to the Vulcan influence. They still have a long way to go, but they seem to be moving in the right direction at least. Tolerance is an important feature in the psychological make up of anyone serving in Starfleet. So many species serving aboard one ship and the purpose of seeking out new ones. Not a place for the intolerant."
Back to top Go down
T'Lara
Petty Officer 3rd Class
Petty Officer 3rd Class

PostSubject: Re: Time For Something New   Time For Something New I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 02, 2015 2:37 pm

Archangel T'Koris wrote:
The last comment made Archangel smile.  "Yes, I believe humanity has progressed leaps and bounds since the First Contact between the species, probably thanks to the Vulcan influence.  They still have a long way to go, but they seem to be moving in the right direction at least.  Tolerance is an important feature in the psychological make up of anyone serving in Starfleet.  So many species serving aboard one ship and the purpose of seeking out new ones.  Not a place for the intolerant."

"I agree." T'Lara sat a moment in silence. She hadn't anticipated talking about philosophy with the captain, the conversation happened to go in that direction. She decided to change topic.

"Captain, is there anything I should know about the ship or the crew other than the fact that the crewmembers are very diverse?"
Back to top Go down
Archangel T'Koris
Captain
Captain

1 Year Service
Art Contribution

PostSubject: Re: Time For Something New   Time For Something New I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 02, 2015 4:14 pm

T'Lara wrote:
"I agree." T'Lara sat a moment in silence. She hadn't anticipated talking about philosophy with the captain, the conversation happened to go in that direction. She decided to change topic.

"Captain, is there anything I should know about the ship or the crew other than the fact that the crewmembers are very diverse?"

Archangel pondered the question for a moment. It was one that needed thought so that she could give as honest an answer as possible.

"Just... be on your guard that some members of the crew can be very quick to jump to an emotional response, even when it's not anticipated. I know that you'll find it easier than most to distance yourself from that kind of reaction, but it is quite common on board this ship."
Back to top Go down
T'Lara
Petty Officer 3rd Class
Petty Officer 3rd Class

PostSubject: Re: Time For Something New   Time For Something New I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 02, 2015 9:45 pm

"I will keep that in mind." It was true that T'Lara had never been on a crew this diverse before. It was both exciting and daunting. She wondered what her mother would say if she knew T'Lara was working with a half-Romulan, a Cardassian, and all the other species in the crew. Her mother had a hard enough time letting her go to the Academy because there would be so much "human influence." T'Lara wondered for a moment how she had ever made the decision to marry her father.
Back to top Go down
Archangel T'Koris
Captain
Captain

1 Year Service
Art Contribution

PostSubject: Re: Time For Something New   Time For Something New I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 03, 2015 3:45 am

Archangel smiled reassuringly at the half-Vulcan. Serving on the Phoenix may seem difficult, but from what she had experienced so far, it was definitely worth it.

"Do you have any other questions for me?" she asked.
Back to top Go down
T'Lara
Petty Officer 3rd Class
Petty Officer 3rd Class

PostSubject: Re: Time For Something New   Time For Something New I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 03, 2015 10:17 am

"No, Captain. Thank you for taking this time to speak with me." T'Lara drank the last of her tea and set it on the desk. Standing up, she prepared to leave.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Time For Something New   Time For Something New I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Time For Something New
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next