Aurora Fleet
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Current Year: 2379

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» *poking the fleet part deux*
Malfunction [Mira/Kristen] - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeby Archangel T'Koris Thu Jul 15, 2021 12:57 pm

» Isn't this a fine kettle of fish?
Malfunction [Mira/Kristen] - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeby Archangel T'Koris Sat Dec 17, 2016 5:36 am

» *pokes the fleet*
Malfunction [Mira/Kristen] - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeby Julia Rellek Sat Nov 12, 2016 12:23 am

» Hrafn is back (sort of)
Malfunction [Mira/Kristen] - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeby Archangel T'Koris Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:00 pm

» Merger
Malfunction [Mira/Kristen] - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeby Archangel T'Koris Fri May 06, 2016 7:04 pm

» Uninvited Guests [Zero / Leela]
Malfunction [Mira/Kristen] - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeby Zero Alpha Wed May 04, 2016 4:50 pm

» Seeing Clearly
Malfunction [Mira/Kristen] - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeby Archangel T'Koris Wed May 04, 2016 4:42 pm

» Season 2, Mission 2: Light the Way
Malfunction [Mira/Kristen] - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeby Elena Tarunt Tue May 03, 2016 10:37 pm

» FACECLAIMS
Malfunction [Mira/Kristen] - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeby Guest Tue May 03, 2016 12:24 pm

» Application:John Brown
Malfunction [Mira/Kristen] - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeby Julia Rellek Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:08 am

Affiliates

Malfunction [Mira/Kristen]

Go down 
2 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Mira

Mira

Malfunction [Mira/Kristen] - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Malfunction [Mira/Kristen]   Malfunction [Mira/Kristen] - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 06, 2015 8:08 am

Kristen Young wrote:
Kristen shrugged. "Its just a game. I don't see anything wrong with it. My parents wouldn't let me play with real money." She pondered the debate about families aboard Starfleet installations. "I never felt that families had a negative impact. In fact I think being able to be together was a strength for my parents. It allowed us to be a family regardless of the circumstances. An the education was amazing."

The fact that an underage Kristen hadn't been playing with real money when she had been learning to play tongo smoothed the ruffled feathers of her security subroutines. She smiled slightly.

"I'm not surprised. Not many children on Earth can hand in an assignment and say 'he ship went through that Nebula last week' or 'yes, my dad helped me with this. He's the Chief Engineer'."
Back to top Go down
Kristen Young
Ensign
Ensign

Starfleet Starfleet Award of Merit Operations

PostSubject: Re: Malfunction [Mira/Kristen]   Malfunction [Mira/Kristen] - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 06, 2015 9:37 am

Mira wrote:

The fact that an underage Kristen hadn't been playing with real money when she had been learning to play tongo smoothed the ruffled feathers of her security subroutines.  She smiled slightly.

"I'm not surprised.  Not many children on Earth can hand in an assignment and say 'he ship went through that Nebula last week' or 'yes, my dad helped me with this.  He's the Chief Engineer'."

"My mother was an engineer." Kristen laughed at the accuracy of Mira's. "My father was Chief of operations. I have been all over the Alpha quadrant. When the wormhole was discovered near Bajor; we were one of the first exploratory ships through. When I was very little I used to hide in the Captain's ready room so I would be the first to know where we would go next. I once triggered an intruder alert when her ready room was scanned prior to a high level diplomatic visit. My father was furious and I never hid in the Captain's office again." Kristen laughed as she finished her drink."
Back to top Go down
Mira

Mira

PostSubject: Re: Malfunction [Mira/Kristen]   Malfunction [Mira/Kristen] - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 06, 2015 10:31 am

Kristen Young wrote:
"My mother was an engineer." Kristen laughed at the accuracy of Mira's. "My father was Chief of operations. I have been all over the Alpha quadrant. When the wormhole was discovered near Bajor; we were one of the first exploratory ships through. When I was very little I used to hide in the Captain's ready room so I would be the first to know where we would go next. I once triggered an intruder alert when her ready room was scanned prior to a high level diplomatic visit. My father was furious and I never hid in the Captain's office again." Kristen laughed as she finished her drink."

"I was close!" Mira laughed, shaking her head. The thought of a young Kristen hiding out in the captain's ready room also merited a smile from the hologram. "I can't imagine any child getting away with hiding in Admiral Deacon's ready room!"
Back to top Go down
Kristen Young
Ensign
Ensign

PostSubject: Re: Malfunction [Mira/Kristen]   Malfunction [Mira/Kristen] - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 06, 2015 11:10 am

Mira wrote:

"I was close!" Mira laughed, shaking her head.  The thought of a young Kristen hiding out in the captain's ready room also merited a smile from the hologram.  "I can't imagine any child getting away with hiding in Admiral Deacon's ready room!"

"Yeah it was a different time. Security seemed to change during the war. You used to be able to sneak in places. Now with all of the new security procedures I doubt any kid would make it in." Kristen laughed. "I can't even imagine what Admiral Deacon would do. Our Captain was used to kids and found it funny. I doubt Admiral Deacon would find it as amusing."
Back to top Go down
Mira

Mira

PostSubject: Re: Malfunction [Mira/Kristen]   Malfunction [Mira/Kristen] - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 06, 2015 1:49 pm

Kristen Young wrote:
"Yeah it was a different time. Security seemed to change during the war. You used to be able to sneak in places. Now with all of the new security procedures I doubt any kid would make it in." Kristen laughed. "I can't even imagine what Admiral Deacon would do. Our Captain was used to kids and found it funny. I doubt Admiral Deacon would find it as amusing."

Mira shrugged one shoulder, pulling an 'I guess so' face. "Security had to change after the War. We were suddenly faced with a very real threat that we were in no way prepared for, not able to fight. What is the human expression? 'Necessity is the mother of invention'?" She then pulled another face at the thought of Deacon discovering a child in her ready room. "No... I don't imagine she would be all that amused by it."
Back to top Go down
Kristen Young
Ensign
Ensign

PostSubject: Re: Malfunction [Mira/Kristen]   Malfunction [Mira/Kristen] - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 06, 2015 11:37 pm

Mira wrote:

Mira shrugged one shoulder, pulling an 'I guess so' face.  "Security had to change after the War.  We were suddenly faced with a very real threat that we were in no way prepared for, not able to fight.  What is the human expression?  'Necessity is the mother of invention'?" She then pulled another face at the thought of Deacon discovering a child in her ready room.  "No... I don't imagine she would be all that amused by it."

Kristen laughed at the prospect of a child hiding in the Admiral's office. "I also used to hide in Engineering... And sickbay... this was a reoccurring theme during my childhood." The stroll down memory lane took Kristen back to the good old days of growing up on a Starship. No planet to call home. Some days it felt as if the crew picked a star and headed out. Kirsten sighed. "I loved my child hood. I never wanted for anything and all 592 members of that crew were my family. Speaking of family. Is there anyone you call family... Dr Zimmerman perhaps?"
Back to top Go down
Mira

Mira

PostSubject: Re: Malfunction [Mira/Kristen]   Malfunction [Mira/Kristen] - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 07, 2015 3:21 pm

Kristen Young wrote:
Kristen laughed at the prospect of a child hiding in the Admiral's office. "I also used to hide in Engineering... And sickbay... this was a reoccurring theme during my childhood." The stroll down memory lane took Kristen back to the good old days of growing up on a Starship. No planet to call home. Some days it felt as if the crew picked a star and headed out. Kirsten sighed. "I loved my child hood. I never wanted for anything and all 592 members of that crew were my family. Speaking of family. Is there anyone you call family... Dr Zimmerman perhaps?"

"It would seem that you were a champion of hide and seek," Mira remarked with an amused tone of voice. Having a childhood was something of an alien concept to her. She hadn't been programmed with a memory of one, nor really needed one. She half wondered if she was missing a vital element of what it meant to be human.

She hesitated for a moment to consider the question of who she thought to be family. As a computer program, it was difficult to get her head around the concept, but she was determined to make an effort. "Doctor Zimmerman? Possibly. The Doctor too, and his various incarnations."
Back to top Go down
Kristen Young
Ensign
Ensign

PostSubject: Re: Malfunction [Mira/Kristen]   Malfunction [Mira/Kristen] - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 07, 2015 11:19 pm

Mira wrote:

"It would seem that you were a champion of hide and seek," Mira remarked with an amused tone of voice.  Having a childhood was something of an alien concept to her.  She hadn't been programmed with a memory of one, nor really needed one.  She half wondered if she was missing a vital element of what it meant to be human.

She hesitated for a moment to consider the question of who she thought to be family.  As a computer program, it was difficult to get her head around the concept, but she was determined to make an effort.  "Doctor Zimmerman?  Possibly.  The Doctor too, and his various incarnations."

Kristen pondered Dr. Zimmerman. Zimmerman had a reputation that spanned the Federation. He was known beyond his work and was somewhat of a celebrity among the people. Known for his brash personality he rarely won awards for Mr Congeniality. "I hear Zimmerman is quite the character. What tis he really like?"
Back to top Go down
Mira

Mira

PostSubject: Re: Malfunction [Mira/Kristen]   Malfunction [Mira/Kristen] - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 08, 2015 6:28 am

Kristen Young wrote:
Kristen pondered Dr. Zimmerman. Zimmerman had a reputation that spanned the Federation. He was known beyond his work and was somewhat of a celebrity among the people. Known for his brash personality he rarely won awards for Mr Congeniality. "I hear Zimmerman is quite the character. What tis he really like?"

Mira sat back in her chair, pondering the question for a moment. Zimmerman had been her creator, the one to build her program. Since he had based it off the Emergency Medical Hologram's matrix, she guessed that Zimmerman was probably as close to a grandfather as she was going to get. A grouchy, sarcastic grandfather.

"Definitely quite a character. He's quite... difficult to handle, especially if he doesn't know you, or doesn't like you. Even if he does like you, all that tends to change is that his sarcasm becomes more accurate."
Back to top Go down
Kristen Young
Ensign
Ensign

PostSubject: Re: Malfunction [Mira/Kristen]   Malfunction [Mira/Kristen] - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 08, 2015 12:05 pm

Mira wrote:

Mira sat back in her chair, pondering the question for a moment.  Zimmerman had been her creator, the one to build her program.  Since he had based it off the Emergency Medical Hologram's matrix, she guessed that Zimmerman was probably as close to a grandfather as she was going to get.  A grouchy, sarcastic grandfather.

"Definitely quite a character.  He's quite... difficult to handle, especially if he doesn't know you, or doesn't like you.  Even if he does like you, all that tends to change is that his sarcasm becomes more accurate."

Kristen finished the last sip of her drink and set the cup to the side. Grouchy grandfather. Sounds about right. Leela though. "How long were you on Jupiter Station before coming to Athena?"
Back to top Go down
Mira

Mira

PostSubject: Re: Malfunction [Mira/Kristen]   Malfunction [Mira/Kristen] - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 08, 2015 2:10 pm

Kristen Young wrote:
Kristen finished the last sip of her drink and set the cup to the side. Grouchy grandfather. Sounds about right. Leela though. "How long were you on Jupiter Station before coming to Athena?"

Mira found herself wondering what Kristen's drink tasted like as she watched the cup being set to the side. It must have been an interesting experience, or rather, that's what the hologram thought taste would be.

"Hm? Oh, I'm not all that sure. I wasn't online for the whole time, so it's a little difficult to tell just how long I was there. A month or two, I think."
Back to top Go down
Kristen Young
Ensign
Ensign

PostSubject: Re: Malfunction [Mira/Kristen]   Malfunction [Mira/Kristen] - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 08, 2015 2:20 pm

Mira wrote:

Mira found herself wondering what Kristen's drink tasted like as she watched the cup being set to the side.  It must have been an interesting experience, or rather, that's what the hologram thought taste would be.

"Hm?  Oh, I'm not all that sure.  I wasn't online for the whole time, so it's a little difficult to tell just how long I was there.  A month or two, I think."

As strange as Mira's life seemed to Kristen. She could only imagine how Mira must of felt. An outsider among organic species. One hologram among a seemingly endless supply of lifeforms. "How are you adjusting? I noticed the way the security team reacted. Has the command staff treated you well?"
Back to top Go down
Mira

Mira

PostSubject: Re: Malfunction [Mira/Kristen]   Malfunction [Mira/Kristen] - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 08, 2015 2:55 pm

Kristen Young wrote:
As strange as Mira's life seemed to Kristen. She could only imagine how Mira must of felt. An outsider among organic species. One hologram among a seemingly endless supply of lifeforms. "How are you adjusting? I noticed the way the security team reacted. Has the command staff treated you well?"

Mira shrugged slightly at the question of her adjusting.  "I'm... getting there.  Not many seem very happy with the thought of sentient holograms, but I expect that they're just a little resistant to change after the paranoia from the Dominion War."  She paused then to think about the one time she had met the commanding officers of the station.  "Admiral Stark wasn't too pleased, and I think that Admiral Deacon found herself at something of a loss as to how to deal with me.  I don't think her VISOR picks up holograms very easily."
Back to top Go down
Kristen Young
Ensign
Ensign

PostSubject: Re: Malfunction [Mira/Kristen]   Malfunction [Mira/Kristen] - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 09, 2015 3:34 am

Mira wrote:

Mira shrugged slightly at the question of her adjusting.  "I'm... getting there.  Not many seem very happy with the thought of sentient holograms, but I expect that they're just a little resistant to change after the paranoia from the Dominion War."  She paused then to think about the one time she had met the commanding officers of the station.  "Admiral Stark wasn't too pleased, and I think that Admiral Deacon found herself at something of a loss as to how to deal with me.  I don't think her VISOR picks up holograms very easily."

When Kristen met Commander Data she had asked him a similar question and he intimated a similar experience upon his first posting. "With all that business with the Founders I can certainly understand why people would be apprehensive. I'm sure they'll come around." The comment about Admiral Deacon raised a question that Kristen had been thinking but too timid to ask. "Why does she wear that visor? Do you know? Its such an outdated technology."
Back to top Go down
Mira

Mira

PostSubject: Re: Malfunction [Mira/Kristen]   Malfunction [Mira/Kristen] - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 09, 2015 6:59 am

Mira hesitated for a moment, wondering how much she should tell the operations officer. Then again, the fact that the station's commanding officer was blind was common knowledge to all those who lived on the Athena. The Admiral had a special file in the security database, due to that fact and also since she was an important diplomat.

"It's something to do with her optic nerves," the hologram explained. "They're not compatible with the standard occular implants, I think."
Back to top Go down
Kristen Young
Ensign
Ensign

PostSubject: Re: Malfunction [Mira/Kristen]   Malfunction [Mira/Kristen] - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 09, 2015 5:56 pm

Mira wrote:
Mira hesitated for a moment, wondering how much she should tell the operations officer.  Then again, the fact that the station's commanding officer was blind was common knowledge to all those who lived on the Athena.  The Admiral had a special file in the security database, due to that fact and also since she was an important diplomat.

"It's something to do with her optic nerves," the hologram explained.  "They're not compatible with the standard occular implants, I think."

"Interesting." Kristen had sympathy for the Admiral. It must be terrible to see medical science help so many only to find that she was left behind. "So how about fun, Mira. Surely you have found something to do for entertainment. What do you do for fun?"
Back to top Go down
Mira

Mira

PostSubject: Re: Malfunction [Mira/Kristen]   Malfunction [Mira/Kristen] - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 10, 2015 3:05 pm

Kristen Young wrote:
"Interesting." Kristen had sympathy for the Admiral. It must be terrible to see medical science help so many only to find that she was left behind. "So how about fun, Mira. Surely you have found something to do for entertainment. What do you do for fun?"

"Fun?" That was a very confusing question for the hologram. "I don't actually have fun. I do my work and I go offline." She shrugged. "The thought of having fun never really came up. It was never something that was intended for my program. What do you consider fun?"
Back to top Go down
Kristen Young
Ensign
Ensign

PostSubject: Re: Malfunction [Mira/Kristen]   Malfunction [Mira/Kristen] - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 11, 2015 2:24 am

Mira wrote:

"Fun?"  That was a very confusing question for the hologram.  "I don't actually have fun.  I do my work and I go offline."  She shrugged.  "The thought of having fun never really came up.  It was never something that was intended for my program.  What do you consider fun?"

It was fascinating to Kristen that fun could be such a novel concept to such an intelligent individual. "Well, I guess I do all kinds of things for fun." She pondered her activities. " I like to read and play tongo, of course. There are several holographic programs I enjoy. Ive recently been playing this program that takes place aboard the first Enterprise, Captain Archer's ship. Its been a lot of fun to play."
Back to top Go down
Mira

Mira

PostSubject: Re: Malfunction [Mira/Kristen]   Malfunction [Mira/Kristen] - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 11, 2015 4:44 am

Kristen Young wrote:
It was fascinating to Kristen that fun could be such a novel concept to such an intelligent individual. "Well, I guess I do all kinds of things for fun." She pondered her activities. " I like to read and play tongo, of course. There are several holographic programs I enjoy. Ive recently been playing this program that takes place aboard the first Enterprise, Captain Archer's ship. Its been a lot of fun to play."

Mira nodded in interest as she listened to what an individual could consider to be fun. Finding the holodeck was quite fascinating to her, as a matter of fact. She had often thought about taking some time to explore them, to not be reliant on her mobile emitter, nor be trapped in the security office, but the thought of spending time with holograms that weren't aware of their nature, nor able to form thoughts outside of the programs parametres was quite a depressing thought for her.

The mention of Kristen spending time immersed in a holographic environment allowed her comfort around the emergency tactical hologram to make more sense. She was already accustomed to it, to interacting with Starfleet holographic personalities.

"Rama, the Ferengi who owns one of the bars, told me that the holodecks are quite a popular passtime on the station," Mira offered.
Back to top Go down
Kristen Young
Ensign
Ensign

PostSubject: Re: Malfunction [Mira/Kristen]   Malfunction [Mira/Kristen] - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 11, 2015 3:28 pm

Mira wrote:

Mira nodded in interest as she listened to what an individual could consider to be fun.  Finding the holodeck was quite fascinating to her, as a matter of fact.  She had often thought about taking some time to explore them, to not be reliant on her mobile emitter, nor be trapped in the security office, but the thought of spending time with holograms that weren't aware of their nature, nor able to form thoughts outside of the programs parametres was quite a depressing thought for her.

The mention of Kristen spending time immersed in a holographic environment allowed her comfort around the emergency tactical hologram to make more sense.  She was already accustomed to it, to interacting with Starfleet holographic personalities.

"Rama, the Ferengi who owns one of the bars, told me that the holodecks are quite a popular passtime on the station," Mira offered.  

"Oh yes I had heard about the Ferengi bar. I wonder if they play Tango? But I digress." Kristen thought that maybe spending some time I the holosuite with Mira could be fun. "We should do it Mira. It could even help you develop your personality further. You should come have some fun in the holosuite with me?"
Back to top Go down
Mira

Mira

PostSubject: Re: Malfunction [Mira/Kristen]   Malfunction [Mira/Kristen] - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 11, 2015 3:48 pm

Kristen Young wrote:
"Oh yes I had heard about the Ferengi bar. I wonder if they play Tango? But I digress." Kristen thought that maybe spending some time I the holosuite with Mira could be fun. "We should do it Mira. It could even help you develop your personality further. You should come have some fun in the holosuite with me?"

Mira gave a faint, uncomfortable smile at the thought of spending time on the holodeck with Kristen.  It wasn't spending time with the human wasn't the problem, it was going to the holodeck.

"I don't know if that's a good idea," she said slowly.  "I find the holograms in generic programs to be... stilted.  It's almost as if a human were to find themselves talking to their shadow in the mirror, if you understand what I mean."
Back to top Go down
Kristen Young
Ensign
Ensign

PostSubject: Re: Malfunction [Mira/Kristen]   Malfunction [Mira/Kristen] - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 12, 2015 12:29 am

Mira wrote:

Mira gave a faint, uncomfortable smile at the thought of spending time on the holodeck with Kristen.  It wasn't spending time with the human wasn't the problem, it was going to the holodeck.

"I don't know if that's a good idea," she said slowly.  "I find the holograms in generic programs to be... stilted.  It's almost as if a human were to find themselves talking to their shadow in the mirror, if you understand what I mean."

Kristen pondered how a hologram viewed other holograms. "I can see that. But you should give it a try. It can be great fun. I mean, I know they're holograms but you just kind of let go and forget about it and embrace the story. Are you sure?"
Back to top Go down
Mira

Mira

PostSubject: Re: Malfunction [Mira/Kristen]   Malfunction [Mira/Kristen] - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 12, 2015 8:19 am

Kristen Young wrote:
Kristen pondered how a hologram viewed other holograms. "I can see that. But you should give it a try. It can be great fun. I mean, I know they're holograms but you just kind of let go and forget about it and embrace the story. Are you sure?"

Mira pulled a slight face. "I tried using some of the generic programs, but it's... It doesn't feel right. It's too faked. I generally go and talk to the EMH diagnostic program when I go to the holodeck. He's almost sentient."
Back to top Go down
Kristen Young
Ensign
Ensign

PostSubject: Re: Malfunction [Mira/Kristen]   Malfunction [Mira/Kristen] - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 13, 2015 1:22 am

Mira wrote:

Mira pulled a slight face.  "I tried using some of the generic programs, but it's... It doesn't feel right.  It's too faked.  I generally go and talk to the EMH diagnostic program when I go to the holodeck.  He's almost sentient."

Kristen let out a raucous laugh. "Well aren't you just the life of any party. The EMH diagnostic program. That sounds about as exciting as a Vulcan funeral. We need to get you out more, Mira."
Back to top Go down
Mira

Mira

PostSubject: Re: Malfunction [Mira/Kristen]   Malfunction [Mira/Kristen] - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 13, 2015 9:16 am

Kristen Young wrote:
Kristen let out a raucous laugh. "Well aren't you just the life of any party. The EMH diagnostic program. That sounds about as exciting as a Vulcan funeral. We need to get you out more, Mira."

Mira shifted a little uncomfortably in her seat, looking away from the human. Was it difficult to understand that she didn't like spending time with beings of her own kind unless they were actually designed to emulate her own program? The standard programs in holodeck programs were always so… two dimensional. It actually scared her to think that she could end up like them, if a handful of her subroutines were removed.

She forced a smile, shrugging one shoulder. "Each to their own, I suppose," she replied. "The EMH diagnostic program may be abrasive and not welcoming of guests, but that's what I was programmed around."

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Malfunction [Mira/Kristen]   Malfunction [Mira/Kristen] - Page 3 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Malfunction [Mira/Kristen]
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next