Aurora Fleet
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Current Year: 2379

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» *poking the fleet part deux*
Mind Your Head (Gabe/Julia) I_icon_minitimeby Archangel T'Koris Thu Jul 15, 2021 12:57 pm

» Isn't this a fine kettle of fish?
Mind Your Head (Gabe/Julia) I_icon_minitimeby Archangel T'Koris Sat Dec 17, 2016 5:36 am

» *pokes the fleet*
Mind Your Head (Gabe/Julia) I_icon_minitimeby Julia Rellek Sat Nov 12, 2016 12:23 am

» Hrafn is back (sort of)
Mind Your Head (Gabe/Julia) I_icon_minitimeby Archangel T'Koris Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:00 pm

» Merger
Mind Your Head (Gabe/Julia) I_icon_minitimeby Archangel T'Koris Fri May 06, 2016 7:04 pm

» Uninvited Guests [Zero / Leela]
Mind Your Head (Gabe/Julia) I_icon_minitimeby Zero Alpha Wed May 04, 2016 4:50 pm

» Seeing Clearly
Mind Your Head (Gabe/Julia) I_icon_minitimeby Archangel T'Koris Wed May 04, 2016 4:42 pm

» Season 2, Mission 2: Light the Way
Mind Your Head (Gabe/Julia) I_icon_minitimeby Elena Tarunt Tue May 03, 2016 10:37 pm

» FACECLAIMS
Mind Your Head (Gabe/Julia) I_icon_minitimeby Guest Tue May 03, 2016 12:24 pm

» Application:John Brown
Mind Your Head (Gabe/Julia) I_icon_minitimeby Julia Rellek Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:08 am

Affiliates

Mind Your Head (Gabe/Julia)

Go down 
2 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Gabriel Arthur
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Technical Precision
Star Cross
Starfleet Starfleet Award of Merit Operations
1 Year Service
Art Contribution
Completed Plot and Bio Page
Participated in the first mission

Mind Your Head (Gabe/Julia) Empty
PostSubject: Mind Your Head (Gabe/Julia)   Mind Your Head (Gabe/Julia) I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 19, 2015 11:21 pm

[Shuttlecraft Mondrian]

"Yep," Gabriel said, a fixed expression of annoyance on his face as yet another ozone-tinged flash of plasma fired off by his head. "We're going down."

Julia Rellek sat by him in the co-pilot's seat, and he was sure she was working just as furiously at the commands as he was...all the good it was doing, that is. The pair of them had been returning from a remote asteroid belt outpost, having been sent there to assist in upgrades and repairs of their internal systems and bio-sensors. He'd lobbied hard to get the chance to go...mainly for the chance to get outside the ship a little bit. And, if he was honest, because it reminded him a little bit of his old life as a maintenance tech, a workaday grunt, a part of the galactic road crew.

Brilliant idea, Arthur, he thought, cursing as the panel in front of him smoked and flashed. "We're going to have to give up and brace for impact," he said, as the Mondrian entered the atmosphere of the nearest convenient planet. An M-Class forest moon, thankfully. It was better than crashing into a star.
Back to top Go down
Julia Rellek
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Star Cross
1 Year Service

PostSubject: Re: Mind Your Head (Gabe/Julia)   Mind Your Head (Gabe/Julia) I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 19, 2015 11:43 pm

Gabriel Arthur wrote:
[Shuttlecraft Mondrian]

"Yep," Gabriel said, a fixed expression of annoyance on his face as yet another ozone-tinged flash of plasma fired off by his head.  "We're going down."

Julia Rellek sat by him in the co-pilot's seat, and he was sure she was working just as furiously at the commands as he was...all the good it was doing, that is.  The pair of them had been returning from a remote asteroid belt outpost, having been sent there to assist in upgrades and repairs of their internal systems and bio-sensors.  He'd lobbied hard to get the chance to go...mainly for the chance to get outside the ship a little bit.  And, if he was honest, because it reminded him a little bit of his old life as a maintenance tech, a workaday grunt, a part of the galactic road crew.

Brilliant idea, Arthur, he thought, cursing as the panel in front of him smoked and flashed.  "We're going to have to give up and brace for impact," he said, as the Mondrian entered the atmosphere of the nearest convenient planet.  An M-Class forest moon, thankfully.  It was better than crashing into a star.

[Shuttlecraft Mondrian]

Julia's fingers flew across the control panels as the Shuttlecraft hurled towards the moon below. "I'm dumping the core... we may not be able to go to warp again but at least we wont's explode upon impact." The rear hatch opens and the shuttles small core flies from the rear of the vessel and floats off into space. "Inertial dampeners are offline. I'm trying to stabilize our decent but the damned controls won't respond." The shuttle enters the atmosphere upside down. Julia looks up and sees trees beginning to come into to focus beneath them. Only the G-forces kept them a fixed to their seats. The sounds of trees scraping the hull filled the cabin. Julia instinctively braced herself to the console in front of her and closed her eyes.....
Back to top Go down
Gabriel Arthur
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Technical Precision
Star Cross
1 Year Service
Art Contribution

PostSubject: Re: Mind Your Head (Gabe/Julia)   Mind Your Head (Gabe/Julia) I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 20, 2015 7:53 am

Julia Rellek wrote:

Julia's fingers flew across the control panels as the Shuttlecraft hurled towards the moon below. "I'm dumping the core... we may not be able to go to warp again but at least we wont's explode upon impact."  The rear hatch opens and the shuttles small core flies from the rear of the vessel and floats off into space. "Inertial dampeners are offline. I'm trying to stabilize our decent but the damned controls won't respond." The shuttle enters the atmosphere upside down. Julia looks up and sees trees beginning to come into to focus beneath them. Only the G-forces kept them a fixed to their seats. The sounds of trees scraping the hull filled the cabin. Julia instinctively braced herself to the console in front of her and closed her eyes.....

Once the dampeners blew, the shuttle's Automatic Emergency Response systems kicked into place, dispensing seat restraints and clicking them into place. "Hold on, Julia," Gabriel said, as the treetops made a hellacious wood-on-duranium scraping sound. "Try to go limp. Don't seize up." Unfortunately, this wasn't the first time he'd been on a crashing space-borne vehicle.

The proximity alert had finally stopped flashing and blaring, though it was after the shuttle had come to a halt. He assumed it just meant the damn thing had broken. Gabriel hit the manual release on his restraint belt, glancing down at himself. Apart from a few light plasma burns (mostly to his uniform top), he appeared to be intact. "You okay over there?" he asked. "No fractures here...that I can tell."
Back to top Go down
Julia Rellek
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Star Cross
1 Year Service

PostSubject: Re: Mind Your Head (Gabe/Julia)   Mind Your Head (Gabe/Julia) I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 20, 2015 6:53 pm

Gabriel Arthur wrote:

Once the dampeners blew, the shuttle's Automatic Emergency Response systems kicked into place, dispensing seat restraints and clicking them into place.  "Hold on, Julia," Gabriel said, as the treetops made a hellacious wood-on-duranium scraping sound.  "Try to go limp.  Don't seize up."  Unfortunately, this wasn't the first time he'd been on a crashing space-borne vehicle.  

The proximity alert had finally stopped flashing and blaring, though it was after the shuttle had come to a halt.  He assumed it just meant the damn thing had broken.  Gabriel hit the manual release on his restraint belt, glancing down at himself.  Apart from a few light plasma burns (mostly to his uniform top), he appeared to be intact.  "You okay over there?" he asked.  "No fractures here...that I can tell."

Julia opened her eyes. A pain was shooting down her face. She looked down at her body and noticed plasma burns had destroyed most of her uniform shirt. The pain shot down her face again. She reached up to her temple and pressed lightly. The she brought the hand back down and noticed the blood on her finger tips. A gash ran from her temple down to her cheek and blood dripped onto her uniform. "I think I'm okay. Its probably just a scratch." She forced out, her voice shaky form the crash.

Julia removed the harness and began to work her way out of the harness. She was able to find her footing and stood erect. She noticed the condition of her uniform and removed the top layer, leaving only the thin blue shirt visible. She unbuttoned her collar to check for additional injuries. "Commander, are you okay?"
Back to top Go down
Gabriel Arthur
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Technical Precision
Star Cross
1 Year Service
Art Contribution

PostSubject: Re: Mind Your Head (Gabe/Julia)   Mind Your Head (Gabe/Julia) I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 21, 2015 6:24 pm

Julia Rellek wrote:

Julia opened her eyes. A pain was shooting down her face. She looked down at her body and noticed plasma burns had destroyed most of her uniform shirt. The pain shot down her face again. She reached up to her temple and pressed lightly. The she brought the hand back down and noticed the blood on her finger tips. A gash ran from her temple down to her cheek and blood dripped onto her uniform. "I think I'm okay. Its probably just a scratch." She forced out, her voice shaky form the crash.

Julia removed the harness and began to work her way out of the harness. She was able to find her footing and stood erect. She noticed the condition of her uniform and removed the top layer, leaving only the thin blue shirt visible. She unbuttoned her collar to check for additional injuries. "Commander, are you okay?"

"I'm fine," Gabriel said, tossing his own grey overtunic off as well. It had basically turned into a scorched and smouldering mess. Thankfully, it was his uniform, and not his actual chest. The commbadge, however, looked to be fried...he'd have to try it out, and Julia's.

Reaching up, Gabriel pulled the emergency medkit out of the overhead compartment, taking out a scanner and running it over the injured science officer. "Easy, lieutenant. You're bleeding. Sit still while I scan it." It was a tone of voice that he'd often had to use with his wife when she was being inordinately obstinate about...well, whatever she was obstinate about. Usually anything to do with her own health. "Looks mostly superficial. Forehead wounds can look like hell, but I don't think it's serious."
Back to top Go down
Julia Rellek
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Star Cross
1 Year Service

PostSubject: Re: Mind Your Head (Gabe/Julia)   Mind Your Head (Gabe/Julia) I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 21, 2015 10:26 pm

Gabriel Arthur wrote:

"I'm fine," Gabriel said, tossing his own grey overtunic off as well.  It had basically turned into a scorched and smouldering mess.  Thankfully, it was his uniform, and not his actual chest.  The commbadge, however, looked to be fried...he'd have to try it out, and Julia's.

Reaching up, Gabriel pulled the emergency medkit out of the overhead compartment, taking out a scanner and running it over the injured science officer.  "Easy, lieutenant.  You're bleeding.  Sit still while I scan it."  It was a tone of voice that he'd often had to use with his wife when she was being inordinately obstinate about...well, whatever she was obstinate about.  Usually anything to do with her own health.  "Looks mostly superficial.  Forehead wounds can look like hell, but I don't think it's serious."

"Thank you Commander, I think its fine." She gestured to dermal regenerator away from her face. Julia stood up. It took her a moment to get her bearings and she began to fall back down. She caught herself on the chair. "I'm okay sir." She regained her footing and took a moment to take in her surroundings. Smoke was slowly filling the cabin. Julia's instincts kicked in and she reached for the tricorder on her hip. "Commander the shuttle is filling with carbon gasses. I think its time we departed. We will have to wait for the gas to dissipate." Julia grabbed an emergency kit filled with emergency rations. She reached under the seat and located two phases. Julia attached one to her hip and handed the other one to Gabe. Julia locates the manual release and opens the hatch. Gesturing with her arm extended she chuckles. "Age before beauty....."
Back to top Go down
Gabriel Arthur
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Technical Precision
Star Cross
1 Year Service
Art Contribution

PostSubject: Re: Mind Your Head (Gabe/Julia)   Mind Your Head (Gabe/Julia) I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 22, 2015 11:24 am

Julia Rellek wrote:
"Thank you Commander, I think its fine." She gestured to dermal regenerator away from her face. Julia stood up. It took her a moment to get her bearings and she began to fall back down. She caught herself on the chair. "I'm okay sir." She regained her footing and took a moment to take in her surroundings. Smoke was slowly filling the cabin. Julia's instincts kicked in and she reached for the tricorder on her hip. "Commander the shuttle is filling with carbon gasses. I think its time we departed. We will have to wait for the gas to dissipate." Julia grabbed an emergency kit filled with emergency rations. She reached under the seat and located two phases. Julia attached one to her hip and handed the other one to Gabe. Julia locates the manual release and opens the hatch. Gesturing with her arm extended she chuckles. "Age before beauty....."

Gabriel took the offered phaser, nodding in thanks, as well as in agreement about getting the hell out of the crashed ship. "Good call." He shouldered one of the stow-away 'go-bags', opening the seal on the Mondrian. "At least the atmosphere is friendly."

The world itself was mostly covered in thick forests, looking very much like something northern boreal - heavily coniferous, with what he assumed were analogous to larches and other pines. Very, very...green. "Well," Gabriel muttered, sweeping the area with a tricorder, "the e-distress signal went out before we crashed, so...looks like we need to find a camp and make ourselves comfortable for the wait."
Back to top Go down
Julia Rellek
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Star Cross
1 Year Service

PostSubject: Re: Mind Your Head (Gabe/Julia)   Mind Your Head (Gabe/Julia) I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 23, 2015 1:09 am

Gabriel Arthur wrote:

Gabriel took the offered phaser, nodding in thanks, as well as in agreement about getting the hell out of the crashed ship.  "Good call."  He shouldered one of the stow-away 'go-bags', opening the seal on the Mondrian.  "At least the atmosphere is friendly."

The world itself was mostly covered in thick forests, looking very much like something northern boreal - heavily coniferous, with what he assumed were analogous to larches and other pines.  Very, very...green.  "Well," Gabriel muttered, sweeping the area with a tricorder, "the e-distress signal went out before we crashed, so...looks like we need to find a camp and make ourselves comfortable for the wait."

Julia was awe struck by the beauty of the forests that surrounded them. She gazed across the forest at the bottom of the hillside they crashed into. Trees seemed to extend forever, or at least as far as her eye could see. "I could think of worse places to be stuck." She smiles as she pulls her tricorder from her right hip and opens it. "Sir just up that hillside." She points to indicate the direction. "I'm detecting a cavernous system extending below the surface. We should be able to find some type of overhang or shallow cavern to wait out rescue."
Back to top Go down
Gabriel Arthur
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Technical Precision
Star Cross
1 Year Service
Art Contribution

PostSubject: Re: Mind Your Head (Gabe/Julia)   Mind Your Head (Gabe/Julia) I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 23, 2015 10:34 am

Julia Rellek wrote:

Julia was awe struck by the beauty of the forests that surrounded them. She gazed across the forest at the bottom of the hillside they crashed into. Trees seemed to extend forever, or at least as far as her eye could see. "I could think of worse places to be stuck." She smiles as she pulls her tricorder from her right hip and opens it. "Sir just up that hillside." She points to indicate the direction. "I'm detecting a cavernous system extending below the surface. We should be able to find some type of overhang or shallow cavern to wait out rescue."

Gabriel looked up the hillside, and then back to the wreckage, frowning slightly. "I dunno, I don't feel good about leaving the crash site. We don't know what kind of inhabitants are on this world...and I know the Federation won't take kindly to having any of their tech stolen."

He pointed to a small copse of trees not far in the distance. "We can build a shelter there, maybe, and still have a clear line of sight to the wreck." Gabe turned to Julia, his grin somewhat playful. "Hope you remember all your wilderness survival courses..."
Back to top Go down
Julia Rellek
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Star Cross
1 Year Service

PostSubject: Re: Mind Your Head (Gabe/Julia)   Mind Your Head (Gabe/Julia) I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 23, 2015 1:06 pm

Gabriel Arthur wrote:

Gabriel looked up the hillside, and then back to the wreckage, frowning slightly.  "I dunno, I don't feel good about leaving the crash site.  We don't know what kind of inhabitants are on this world...and I know the Federation won't take kindly to having any of their tech stolen."

He pointed to a small copse of trees not far in the distance.  "We can build a shelter there, maybe, and still have a clear line of sight to the wreck."  Gabe turned to Julia, his grin somewhat playful.  "Hope you remember all your wilderness survival courses..."

"Sounds good sir." Julia looked towards the trees Gabe was leading them to. "Looks like a miserable place to spend the night. But its as good as anything else on this planet." Julia hated the great outdoors. Research had been the only thing to ever make her venture outside and event that was only when necessary.

Gabe took the time to remind Julia of her survival training. Like I could forget survival training? Julia thought. "Let me tell you something." She says as she pats Gabe on the shoulder. "That month was the single worst month of my life." Julia stepped ahead of the Commander as they made their way to the destination. "I spent 32 days in the Australian Outback. There were bugs, snakes, heat and did I mention the bugs. I shutter thinking of it. I spent three days in a hole in the ground. How about you? What corner did Starfleet shove you into for Survival Training?"
Back to top Go down
Gabriel Arthur
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Technical Precision
Star Cross
1 Year Service
Art Contribution

PostSubject: Re: Mind Your Head (Gabe/Julia)   Mind Your Head (Gabe/Julia) I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 23, 2015 6:27 pm

Julia Rellek wrote:

"Sounds good sir." Julia looked towards the trees Gabe was leading them to. "Looks like a miserable place to spend the night. But its as good as anything else on this planet." Julia hated the great outdoors. Research had been the only thing to ever make her venture outside and event that was only when necessary.

Gabe took the time to remind Julia of her survival training. Like I could forget survival training? Julia thought. "Let me tell you something." She says as she pats Gabe on the shoulder. "That month was the single worst month of my life." Julia stepped ahead of the Commander as they made their way to the destination. "I spent 32 days in the Australian Outback. There were bugs, snakes, heat and did I mention the bugs. I shutter thinking of it. I spent three days in a hole in the ground. How about you? What corner did Starfleet shove you into for Survival Training?"

It was a little amusing how varied the reactions often were to the dreaded Wilderness Survival course. Sometimes, it seemed only slightly less infamous than the Command track's final test. For Gabriel, though, it had been quite easy, comparatively. He had always loved being outside, and felt comfortable being without the trappings of the 24th century's technology.

"Almost as drastic," Gabe grinned, surveying the area for some downed limbs. "They put us in the wilds of Utah...barren and rugged and rocky. Beautiful, really, but...still a brutal environment. Only one of us got bitten by a rattler, though." Nodding, Gabriel pointed to some long, green branches. They were recently downed, and looked to be quite full of needles, still. "Those'll make a good lean-to. Keep the rain off us if it starts up."
Back to top Go down
Julia Rellek
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Star Cross
1 Year Service

PostSubject: Re: Mind Your Head (Gabe/Julia)   Mind Your Head (Gabe/Julia) I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 23, 2015 8:17 pm

"Rattlesnakes... no thank you sir." Julia laughed as they made it to the downed trees. "You sound as if you're reminiscing about something you enjoyed. You enjoyed survival training." Julia laughed as she poked a little fun at her Commanding Officer. "I'll have to remember that about you Commander. You enjoy painful, insect filled torture." Julia quickly slapped her neck. "And the torture begins."
Back to top Go down
Gabriel Arthur
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Technical Precision
Star Cross
1 Year Service
Art Contribution

PostSubject: Re: Mind Your Head (Gabe/Julia)   Mind Your Head (Gabe/Julia) I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 23, 2015 11:27 pm

Julia Rellek wrote:
"Rattlesnakes... no thank you sir." Julia laughed as they made it to the downed trees. "You sound as if you're reminiscing about something you enjoyed. You enjoyed survival training." Julia laughed as she poked a little fun at her Commanding Officer. "I'll have to remember that about you Commander. You enjoy painful, insect filled torture." Julia quickly slapped her neck. "And the torture begins."

"Hmm..." Gabriel said, digging trough the go-pack. "Nope. Sorry. Thought that there might be a sonic repellent hidden somewhere." He cocked an eyebrow, grinning playfully at the science officer. "As far as pain, I'm used to it. I deal with Romulan mood swings..."

Unraveling a long length of paracord, Gabriel worked with Julia to begin lashing together several branches. "We can use this as a wind-break. I was an Eagle Scout, you know. Though...that was a while back. Do you remember how to build a fire?"
Back to top Go down
Julia Rellek
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Star Cross
1 Year Service

PostSubject: Re: Mind Your Head (Gabe/Julia)   Mind Your Head (Gabe/Julia) I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 24, 2015 12:28 am

Gabriel Arthur wrote:

"Hmm..." Gabriel said, digging trough the go-pack.  "Nope.  Sorry.  Thought that there might be a sonic repellent hidden somewhere."  He cocked an eyebrow, grinning playfully at the science officer.  "As far as pain, I'm used to it.  I deal with Romulan mood swings..."

Unraveling a long length of paracord, Gabriel worked with Julia to begin lashing together several branches.  "We can use this as a wind-break.  I was an Eagle Scout, you know.  Though...that was a while back.  Do you remember how to build a fire?"

Julia laughs as Gabe digs for the repellent. "Its okay. I think I'll live." She swats another insect. "At least I don't have to contend with those mood swings?"

She began to gather rocks into a small circle slightly outside their impromptu shelter. Julia places a few pieces of dead brush at the center. While she gathers the brush she cocks an eyebrow in Gabriels direction. "Do I know how to build a fire? What kind of Science Officer would I be if I couldn't build a fire?" Julia lets out a slight chuckle as she grabs the phaser from her hip. She flips open the controls and alters the phaser to emit a lowered power beam. She then closes the small control panel. "Watch and learn Commander." She focuses the phases beam on the small pile of brush and a small ember appears. The ember quickly grows into a very small fire. She places the weapon back in it's holster and looks back to Gabriel. "Work smart Commander, not hard. That's how a Scientist builds a fire."
Back to top Go down
Gabriel Arthur
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Technical Precision
Star Cross
1 Year Service
Art Contribution

PostSubject: Re: Mind Your Head (Gabe/Julia)   Mind Your Head (Gabe/Julia) I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 24, 2015 7:57 am

Julia Rellek wrote:
Julia laughs as Gabe digs for the repellent. "Its okay. I think I'll live." She swats another insect. "At least I don't have to contend with those mood swings?"

She began to gather rocks into a small circle slightly outside their impromptu shelter. Julia places a few pieces of dead brush at the center. While she gathers the brush she cocks an eyebrow in Gabriels direction. "Do I know how to build a fire? What kind of Science Officer would I be if I couldn't build a fire?" Julia lets out a slight chuckle as she grabs the phaser from her hip. She flips open the controls and alters the phaser to emit a lowered power beam. She then closes the small control panel. "Watch and learn Commander." She focuses the phases beam on the small pile of brush and a small ember appears. The ember quickly grows into a very small fire. She places the weapon back in it's holster and looks back to Gabriel. "Work smart Commander, not hard. That's how a Scientist builds a fire."

"Ah," Gabriel grinned, finishing the wind-break lashing, "those moods are just a small part of the whole. And I'd not trade them for anything." He glanced over to where Julia was gathering rocks, cocking an eyebrow at her method of shooting a fire into existence. "Aw. It's been a good while since I've had to build a fire by friction. I was hoping to suitably impress with my skills." Actually, building a fire in such a manner was a long, frustrating exercise in painful patience.

He examined the rocks around the fire, doing one final sweep of them with a tricorder. "Just making sure they weren't sedimentary. Rocks like that, especially if they're wet...give 'em enough heat, and you've got a half dozen improvised explosive devices ringing your campfire."

Overhead, the greenish-yellow sun of their temporary home was starting to slip behind distant mountains, casting an eldritch pall over everything. "Ain't exactly the most wholesome-lookin' sun, is it?" he asked, pulling out some e-ration bars. "Peanut butter, or peanut butter? Or...look, here's peanut butter."
Back to top Go down
Julia Rellek
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Star Cross
1 Year Service

PostSubject: Re: Mind Your Head (Gabe/Julia)   Mind Your Head (Gabe/Julia) I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 24, 2015 6:57 pm

Gabriel Arthur wrote:

"Ah," Gabriel grinned, finishing the wind-break lashing, "those moods are just a small part of the whole.  And I'd not trade them for anything."  He glanced over to where Julia was gathering rocks, cocking an eyebrow at her method of shooting a fire into existence.  "Aw.  It's been a good while since I've had to build a fire by friction.  I was hoping to suitably impress with my skills."  Actually, building a fire in such a manner was a long, frustrating exercise in painful patience.

He examined the rocks around the fire, doing one final sweep of them with a tricorder.  "Just making sure they weren't sedimentary.  Rocks like that, especially if they're wet...give 'em enough heat, and you've got a half dozen improvised explosive devices ringing your campfire."  

Overhead, the greenish-yellow sun of their temporary home was starting to slip behind distant mountains, casting an eldritch pall over everything.  "Ain't exactly the most wholesome-lookin' sun, is it?" he asked, pulling out some e-ration bars.  "Peanut butter, or peanut butter?  Or...look, here's peanut butter."

"Well it is nice to know we won't blow up in our sleep." Julia chuckled as she cocked her neck towards the sky. "I don't know Gabe, I think that sun has a certain amount of charm to it."

Julia found herself a nice cozy little spot to sit near the fire a sat down. She reached to take the e-ration bar. "Hmmm let me think.... I think I'll take the peanut butter." She laughed. "Do you recommend pairing that with the Merlot or Chardonnay?"
Back to top Go down
Gabriel Arthur
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Technical Precision
Star Cross
1 Year Service
Art Contribution

PostSubject: Re: Mind Your Head (Gabe/Julia)   Mind Your Head (Gabe/Julia) I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 24, 2015 8:12 pm

Julia Rellek wrote:

"Well it is nice to know we won't blow up in our sleep." Julia chuckled as she cocked her neck towards the sky. "I don't know Gabe, I think that sun has a certain amount of charm to it."

Julia found herself a nice cozy little spot to sit near the fire a sat down. She reached to take the e-ration bar. "Hmmm let me think.... I think I'll take the peanut butter." She laughed. "Do you recommend pairing that with the Merlot or Chardonnay?"

There was something about a fire that instantly added an element of psychological comfort to any kind of survival situation. Gabriel didn't expect that he and Rellek would have to spend much time on this world, but still...it was good to have a fire. Flame had meant 'life' since the dawn of civilization...and it added a touch of humanity to a cold and sometimes lonely situation. "Chardonnay? Oh, I don't think so. Only replicator water for me, thanks," Gabriel grinned, plopping down next to the fire and taking a drink. He opened up a ration bar, chewing it thoughtfully. "Y'know, I never really minded the taste of these things."

Soon the quiet of night was punctuated by the crackling sound of burning wood. The sun had gone fully away, and a blanket of stars spread out overhead. It felt odd being out in the wild under such unfamiliar constellations. "Thousands of years ago, on Earth, the Ancient Greeks looked up and dreamed shapes into the stars. Ironic...they couldn't know that some of their people had been transplanted to Alpha Centauri, and would flourish a civilization up there, too." Gabriel smiled, shrugging apologetically. "I'm Centauran on mom's side."
Back to top Go down
Julia Rellek
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Star Cross
1 Year Service

PostSubject: Re: Mind Your Head (Gabe/Julia)   Mind Your Head (Gabe/Julia) I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 24, 2015 8:23 pm

Gabriel Arthur wrote:

There was something about a fire that instantly added an element of psychological comfort to any kind of survival situation.  Gabriel didn't expect that he and Rellek would have to spend much time on this world, but still...it was good to have a fire.  Flame had meant 'life' since the dawn of civilization...and it added a touch of humanity to a cold and sometimes lonely situation.  "Chardonnay?  Oh, I don't think so.  Only replicator water for me, thanks," Gabriel grinned, plopping down next to the fire and taking a drink.  He opened up a ration bar, chewing it thoughtfully.  "Y'know, I never really minded the taste of these things."  

Soon the quiet of night was punctuated by the crackling sound of burning wood.  The sun had gone fully away, and a blanket of stars spread out overhead.  It felt odd being out in the wild under such unfamiliar constellations.  "Thousands of years ago, on Earth, the Ancient Greeks looked up and dreamed shapes into the stars.  Ironic...they couldn't know that some of their people had been transplanted to Alpha Centauri, and would flourish a civilization up there, too."  Gabriel smiled, shrugging apologetically.  "I'm Centauran on mom's side."

Julia gazed at the stars with Gabe as she worked to chew the ration bar. "I have always been fascinated... Somewhere, right now, someone not very unlike us on a pre-warp planet is looking up at the same stars wondering if they are alone in the universe." Julia paused and ripped off another piece of her ration bar. "They are grasping at the same questions we were asking not all that long ago. It really is quite dramatic to think about."

Julia's mind quickly came back into focus on the problem at hand. "How long do you think we'll be stuck here? We weren't scheduled to rendezvous with the Phoenix for another 2 days so I figure it will be at least that long. Unless they picked up out signal."
Back to top Go down
Gabriel Arthur
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Technical Precision
Star Cross
1 Year Service
Art Contribution

PostSubject: Re: Mind Your Head (Gabe/Julia)   Mind Your Head (Gabe/Julia) I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 24, 2015 8:40 pm

Julia Rellek wrote:

Julia gazed at the stars with Gabe as she worked to chew the ration bar. "I have always been fascinated... Somewhere, right now, someone not very unlike us on a pre-warp planet is looking up at the same stars wondering if they are alone in the universe." Julia paused and ripped off another piece of her ration bar. "They are grasping at the same questions we were asking not all that long ago. It really is quite dramatic to think about."

Julia's mind quickly came back into focus on the problem at hand. "How long do you think we'll be stuck here? We weren't scheduled to rendezvous with the Phoenix for another 2 days so I figure it will be at least that long. Unless they picked up out signal."

"It might be a few days, but likely no more than that. Less if the signal got out, which it should have. Should be encrypted, too, so we don't have any unwelcomes coming to pick us off," Gabriel said, thinking specifically back to their encounter with Krespo the Orion pirate. That madman had very nearly killed a member of his crew with his planetside bombardments, and Gabriel wasn't going to forget that. The Federation would say that he needs rehabilitation, but Gabe wouldn't mind seeing that green son of a bitch stuffed into the business end of a torpedo tube.

Gabriel broke off a piece of a stick, tossing it into the flames. "I don't suppose you're going to go all Science Officer on me and yell about me needlessly throwing sticks into the fire, are you?" he grinned.
Back to top Go down
Julia Rellek
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Star Cross
1 Year Service

PostSubject: Re: Mind Your Head (Gabe/Julia)   Mind Your Head (Gabe/Julia) I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 24, 2015 9:44 pm

Gabriel Arthur wrote:

"It might be a few days, but likely no more than that.  Less if the signal got out, which it should have.  Should be encrypted, too, so we don't have any unwelcomes coming to pick us off," Gabriel said, thinking specifically back to their encounter with Krespo the Orion pirate.  That madman had very nearly killed a member of his crew with his planetside bombardments, and Gabriel wasn't going to forget that.  The Federation would say that he needs rehabilitation, but Gabe wouldn't mind seeing that green son of a bitch stuffed into the business end of a torpedo tube.

Gabriel broke off a piece of a stick, tossing it into the flames.  "I don't suppose you're going to go all Science Officer on me and yell about me needlessly throwing sticks into the fire, are you?" he grinned.  

Julia slaps her hand. "Hopefully it won't be too long. The bugs on this planet seem to love me." She laughed.

"No I won't judge you for it. After all, what else is there to do." Julia pauses and picks up her tricorder to take her hourly scans of the surrounding areas. "But I will get all Science Officer on you and tell you that we're not alone. I'm detecting what appears to be several species of mammals and reptiles in the surrounding area. Hopefully they are all friendly." Julia closed her tricorder. "Hopefully the fire keeps them at bay. I'm not sure if they would find us tasty but I would prefer not to find out. At least we know we won't have to worry about food or water."
Back to top Go down
Gabriel Arthur
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Technical Precision
Star Cross
1 Year Service
Art Contribution

PostSubject: Re: Mind Your Head (Gabe/Julia)   Mind Your Head (Gabe/Julia) I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 24, 2015 10:09 pm

Julia Rellek wrote:

Julia slaps her hand. "Hopefully it won't be too long. The bugs on this planet seem to love me." She laughed.

"No I won't judge you for it. After all, what else is there to do." Julia pauses and picks up her tricorder to take her hourly scans of the surrounding areas. "But I will get all Science Officer on you and tell you that we're not alone. I'm detecting what appears to be several species of mammals and reptiles in the surrounding area. Hopefully they are all friendly." Julia closed her tricorder. "Hopefully the fire keeps them at bay. I'm not sure if they would find us tasty but I would prefer not to find out. At least we know we won't have to worry about food or water."

"Yeah..." Gabriel nodded, glancing around at the darkness. "I hope the firelight doesn't attract anything two-legged, as well...but it's not like we had time to send down a Federation survey team before we came to a sudden halt on this little moon." The fire also killed their night-vision, but...he supposed that was what phasers were for.

Gabe chewed a bit more of the ration bar, smiling impishly. "In our survival course, we learned one method of keeping warm in an emergency situation without a fire attracting attention. You have to build a fire in a pit, with a heavy bank of coals. Cover it over, leaving a few air holes...and then squat yourself on top of it, covering everything over with a blanket. Keeps you warm, I guess...though, I doubt my wife'd appreciate us doing that, much."

Back to top Go down
Julia Rellek
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Star Cross
1 Year Service

PostSubject: Re: Mind Your Head (Gabe/Julia)   Mind Your Head (Gabe/Julia) I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 24, 2015 10:50 pm

Gabriel Arthur wrote:

"Yeah..." Gabriel nodded, glancing around at the darkness.  "I hope the firelight doesn't attract anything two-legged, as well...but it's not like we had time to send down a Federation survey team before we came to a sudden halt on this little moon."  The fire also killed their night-vision, but...he supposed that was what phasers were for.  

Gabe chewed a bit more of the ration bar, smiling impishly.  "In our survival course, we learned one method of keeping warm in an emergency situation without a fire attracting attention.  You have to build a fire in a pit, with a heavy bank of coals.  Cover it over, leaving a few air holes...and then squat yourself on top of it, covering everything over with a blanket.  Keeps you warm, I guess...though, I doubt my wife'd appreciate us doing that, much."

Julia finished the last bite of her ration and set the wrapper to the side. "No offense sir, but I think ill take my chances with the fire. I haven't seen anything in my scans that would indicate intelligent life." Although Julia knew her scans couldn't detect everything. It was certainly possible that humanoids could register as large mammals. Especially if the species wasn't in the ships databases. "Well here's to hoping were alone." Julia lifts her water ration indicating a toast.

"I feel like we haven't had a lot of time to get to know each other in my short time on the Phoenix. So what is the story of Gabe.... How did Starfleet ever approve you and your wife serving together? I feel like there has to be a story there...?" Julia paused fearing she had crossed a line. "If its not overly presumptuous to ask?"
Back to top Go down
Gabriel Arthur
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Technical Precision
Star Cross
1 Year Service
Art Contribution

PostSubject: Re: Mind Your Head (Gabe/Julia)   Mind Your Head (Gabe/Julia) I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 25, 2015 8:02 am

Julia Rellek wrote:

Julia finished the last bite of her ration and set the wrapper to the side. "No offense sir, but I think ill take my chances with the fire. I haven't seen anything in my scans that would indicate intelligent life." Although Julia knew her scans couldn't detect everything. It was certainly possible that humanoids could register as large mammals. Especially if the species wasn't in the ships databases. "Well here's to hoping were alone." Julia lifts her water ration indicating a toast.

"I feel like we haven't had a lot of time to get to know each other in my short time on the Phoenix. So what is the story of Gabe.... How did Starfleet ever approve you and your wife serving together? I feel like there has to be a story there...?" Julia paused fearing she had crossed a line. "If its not overly presumptuous to ask?"

Smiling, Gabriel returned the water-ration toast, taking a drink. It tasted just as stale and processed as he remembered. Wincing, he screwed the little cap back on and set the water aside. Finding a fresh source (and purifying it) would be a job for tomorrow's daylight, but for now, he would rather save what they had.

The question about his and Archangel's command team caught Gabriel off guard, though in retrospect, it probably shouldn't. Why should it surprise him that their relationship, both with the ship and with each other, was the subject of rampant speculation? "Nah," he said, shaking his head and waving dismissively. "It's fine. Might not be the smartest thing to ask right in front of the captain, but I'm not in the habit of biting the noses off junior officers with questions."

Gabe was silent for a few long moments, tossing another twig into the flames, watching as it was consumed, the fire burning so hot that it was gone in seconds. "Married command teams are a rarity, and with good reason," he finally said. "Couples on starships are fairly common, but for both to be in command? I can see why people have reservations. To be honest, I'm not entirely sure why Starfleet approved it, but I have theories. Most of 'em involve politics, especially those of the little pissin' contest between the Star Empire and the Federation. And...not to be too morbid, but the field for promotion is wide open during wartime."
Back to top Go down
Julia Rellek
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Star Cross
1 Year Service

PostSubject: Re: Mind Your Head (Gabe/Julia)   Mind Your Head (Gabe/Julia) I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 25, 2015 11:17 am

Gabriel Arthur wrote:

Smiling, Gabriel returned the water-ration toast, taking a drink.  It tasted just as stale and processed as he remembered.  Wincing, he screwed the little cap back on and set the water aside.  Finding a fresh source (and purifying it) would be a job for tomorrow's daylight, but for now, he would rather save what they had.  

The question about his and Archangel's command team caught Gabriel off guard, though in retrospect, it probably shouldn't.  Why should it surprise him that their relationship, both with the ship and with each other, was the subject of rampant speculation?  "Nah," he said, shaking his head and waving dismissively.  "It's fine.  Might not be the smartest thing to ask right in front of the captain, but I'm not in the habit of biting the noses off junior officers with questions."  

Gabe was silent for a few long moments, tossing another twig into the flames, watching as it was consumed, the fire burning so hot that it was gone in seconds.  "Married command teams are a rarity, and with good reason," he finally said.  "Couples on starships are fairly common, but for both to be in command?  I can see why people have reservations.  To be honest, I'm not entirely sure why Starfleet approved it, but I have theories.  Most of 'em involve politics, especially those of the little pissin' contest between the Star Empire and the Federation.  And...not to be too morbid, but the field for promotion is wide open during wartime."

Julia was glad that Gabe didn't take offense to her question. "I can understand political motives." Julia finished her ration of water and sets the empty container beside her on the ground. "You know, I never dreamed of being out here." Julia leans back and gazes at the sky as the sun began to set. "Starfleet Command told me; In order to get ahead; that I would need two years in the field. I begrudgingly agreed and requested this assignment." Julia paused to reflect on her choices. "This was supposed to be the stepping stone to, one day, get my own research station. There was one thing I didn't plan on.... I like it out here. I never realized this could be so much fun. I feel like a new discovery sets just beyond the next star. I guess career plans were made to be changed."
Back to top Go down
Gabriel Arthur
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Technical Precision
Star Cross
1 Year Service
Art Contribution

PostSubject: Re: Mind Your Head (Gabe/Julia)   Mind Your Head (Gabe/Julia) I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 25, 2015 9:05 pm

Julia Rellek wrote:

Julia was glad that Gabe didn't take offense to her question. "I can understand political motives." Julia finished her ration of water and sets the empty container beside her on the ground. "You know, I never dreamed of being out here." Julia leans back and gazes at the sky as the sun began to set. "Starfleet Command told me; In order to get ahead; that I would need two years in the field. I begrudgingly agreed and requested this assignment." Julia paused to reflect on her choices. "This was supposed to be the stepping stone to, one day, get my own research station. There was one thing I didn't plan on.... I like it out here. I never realized this could be so much fun. I feel like a new discovery sets just beyond the next star. I guess career plans were made to be changed."

"Indeed," Gabriel nodded, re-positioning his legs so that he was at least a little more comfortable. Then again, sitting on the ground and keeping his long legs bunched up wasn't near as easy as it had been when he was a kid. And I'm most definitely *not* a kid anymore. "Life has a way of doing that. I mean...my first years in space? I was an engineer on my brother's cargo ship. And then I enrolled as an enlistee in Starfleet. Put a few years in as a maintenance tech before going officer."

The call of some strange bird...like...thing...bird-thing sounded in the darkness. Gabe looked up, but whatever it was, it was long gone. "So," he said, turning back to his companion, "what corner of the galaxy do you call home when you're not aboard our fine Nebula-class floating town?"
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mind Your Head (Gabe/Julia)   Mind Your Head (Gabe/Julia) I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Mind Your Head (Gabe/Julia)
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next