Aurora Fleet
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Current Year: 2379

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» *poking the fleet part deux*
Mission 9:  Tears of Procopius - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeby Archangel T'Koris Thu Jul 15, 2021 12:57 pm

» Isn't this a fine kettle of fish?
Mission 9:  Tears of Procopius - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeby Archangel T'Koris Sat Dec 17, 2016 5:36 am

» *pokes the fleet*
Mission 9:  Tears of Procopius - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeby Julia Rellek Sat Nov 12, 2016 12:23 am

» Hrafn is back (sort of)
Mission 9:  Tears of Procopius - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeby Archangel T'Koris Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:00 pm

» Merger
Mission 9:  Tears of Procopius - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeby Archangel T'Koris Fri May 06, 2016 7:04 pm

» Uninvited Guests [Zero / Leela]
Mission 9:  Tears of Procopius - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeby Zero Alpha Wed May 04, 2016 4:50 pm

» Seeing Clearly
Mission 9:  Tears of Procopius - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeby Archangel T'Koris Wed May 04, 2016 4:42 pm

» Season 2, Mission 2: Light the Way
Mission 9:  Tears of Procopius - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeby Elena Tarunt Tue May 03, 2016 10:37 pm

» FACECLAIMS
Mission 9:  Tears of Procopius - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeby Guest Tue May 03, 2016 12:24 pm

» Application:John Brown
Mission 9:  Tears of Procopius - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeby Julia Rellek Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:08 am

Affiliates

Mission 9: Tears of Procopius

Go down 
+13
Leela Kaz
NPC
Kintiss
Gabriel Arthur
Gavin Van Gelder
Julia Rellek
Persephone M'Rai
Safefta Pardek
Zero Alpha
George Warden
Ezac
Kaitlin Dexter
Jiseth
17 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
Kejal Buris
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Technical Precision

Mission 9:  Tears of Procopius - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mission 9: Tears of Procopius   Mission 9:  Tears of Procopius - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 16, 2015 6:25 pm

Quote :
"Ensign M'Rai," Stark said, his voice deceptively calm. "I would expect all pilots of this ship's Flight department to have the skills and abilities guaranteed by their Academy diplomas to carry out a ship-to-surface landing. I expect you to be able to operate under those conditions, because you're going to be flying the runabout."

He turned back toward the center chairs, catching Archangel's eye. "When damn near all my departments tell me something, I tend to listen. We won't try transports. I want you to go down there and see what this is all about." Touching his commbadge, the admiral opened inter-ship communications.

=^="Bridge to T'Lara, Van Gelder, Pardek, Arthur, Kintiss...meet in Shuttlebay One for departure to the planet surface."=^=

Stark stood a little closer to Archangel's chair. "Landing parties are the XO's purview. I want you down there, too. Mr. Ezac," he said, turning toward the tac console. "Accompany the landing party." With that, he re-took the center seat. "And be careful down there."

Her ears flicked back again as Persephone read the unsaid words behind Admiral Stark's words. The Caitian was perfectly capable of flying the ship, or even a shuttle, in a combat situation, but she had been watching the planet as they approached, and the amount of anomalies surrounding the planet would make any pilot nervous about taking any vessel down to the surface.

Although she was a little annoyed by his calling her skills into question, she was still wary of the fact that she didn't know what Jiseth would do if she found out that Persephone had taken out one of the shuttles, Admiral's orders or not.

She pushed herself up from the console, blue eyes slightly narrowed at the Admiral. Apparently, one needed to stand up for themselves on this crew.

"Of courrrrse I can, sirrrr," she replied stiffly, stalking to the back of the bridge and the turbolift to wait for the other members of the bridge crew assigned to the away team.

Having been observing the Admiral out of the corner of her eye, Archangel was able to spot the subtle clenching of his jaw at the mention of Jiseth. He was a firm believer in the sanctity of the chain of command, so having one of his department heads called up for insubordination couldn't have sat well with him, even if it hadn't been combined with all of the other charges.

Getting to her feet, she straightened her uniform and nodded to her commanding officer. "Acknowledged, Admiral. I'll keep a channel open to the ship on the way down. I don't know if we'll be able to get a communication through those anomalies." Looking up to the security station, she nodded to the Breen standing behind it. "With me, Mr Ezac," she told him, heading after Persephone toward the turbolift.

[Bridge]

Buris' fingers tightened slightly on his console at the public dressing-down that the Admiral gave to the Helmswoman. He wanted to say something, but couldn't bring himself to. There was too much behind it, but then again, he didn't know why he was getting worked up. The woman had been blatantly insubordinate. And it was none of his business, he was new here. And yet. He could tell that people expected the man at Ops to react - not because they expected Buris to, but instead because they expected the Ops man to defend the crew. And he might have if he wasn't so newly aboard - but only in private.

All he could do now was turn to the felinoid woman and smile, thinking for a moment. Rather than asking the Captain again, he sent a message directly to Shuttlebay One - to equip the Runabout with additional communications and transporter beacons. He'd been through this before - when transporters were non-functional for any reason, that was when you'd need them most to save the lives of the crew. He'd had to manually strip down and replace the phase inducer on the Bellerophon in the middle of a Mutara-class nebula to beam someone in from a rapidly-failing shuttlecraft. Of course, his "phase inducer" was really just two high-density ODN wires and a gelpack wrapped around a piece of EPS plasma conduit, but it had held. He didn't have the confidence here that he had there, though. He'd seen a diagnostic report, but until you were there for the teardown, you couldn't trust the damn thing beyond the regs, as he'd noted minutes before.

And this crew wasn't one he could trust just yet, not with all the craziness he'd already heard about and experienced personally. He looked down at his board again, and sighed heavily. One more thing. He didn't know what was happening with the engines, but he sighed and spoke quietly after tapping his comm.

=^=Engine room, Ops here. I'm seeing some strange fluctuations in the readings coming up from down there. Can you resolve them? Do you need a maintenance team dispatched?"=^=

He decided to do the smart thing, and forwarded the Engineering fluctuations to the bridge science station, because he had a funny feeling there was correlation between the two sets of weirdness. Which meant that, if he was right, the longer they stayed here, the more trouble they'd be in.

Which of course meant that they'd be here a while.
Back to top Go down
Julia Rellek
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Star Cross
1 Year Service
Completed Plot and Bio Page

PostSubject: Re: Mission 9: Tears of Procopius   Mission 9:  Tears of Procopius - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 16, 2015 10:00 pm

Quote :
[Bridge]

Having been observing the Admiral out of the corner of her eye, Archangel was able to spot the subtle clenching of his jaw at the mention of Jiseth.  He was a firm believer in the sanctity of the chain of command, so having one of his department heads called up for insubordination couldn't have sat well with him, even if it hadn't been combined with all of the other charges.

Getting to her feet, she straightened her uniform and nodded to her commanding officer.  "Acknowledged, Admiral.  I'll keep a channel open to the ship on the way down.  I don't know if we'll be able to get a communication through those anomalies."  Looking up to the security station, she nodded to the Breen standing behind it.  "With me, Mr Ezac," she told him, heading after Persephone toward the turbolift.

[Bridge]

Julia flashed a smile at the small team as they walked by her. "Good luck. Don't have too much fun without me." She added. Julia would have loved to have gotten a look at the surface. Although her area of expertise lye in the stars she always embraced a good scientific mission. She tapped a few commands on her panel. "We'll keep the comm line active and the shuttle bay doors open, happy hunting."
Back to top Go down
Leela Kaz
Ensign
Ensign

Holodiction
Most Improved
Best Duo
Art Contribution

PostSubject: Re: Mission 9: Tears of Procopius   Mission 9:  Tears of Procopius - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 16, 2015 10:24 pm

Gabriel Arthur wrote:
[Engine Room]

Gabriel didn't necessarily like the idea of leaving Engineering without having trace down the anomalous reading, but an order was an order.  Stark obviously thought that there might be some alien tech down on that planet, or else he wouldn't have sent an engineering complement.  Scooping Aria up, he put her back in his office.  "I have to go to work, kiddo.  Remember what we talked about?"  The little girl nodded, her curls bobbing as she did.  "Uh-huh.  I need to be good and listen to everyone and not leave."  Gabriel smiled, kissing her on top of her head.  "That's right, Aria.  I'll be back soon and we can have ice cream tonight."  With that, he activated the holographic sitter program, which proceeded to begin telling the toddler a story.  He hated to do this, but it was a reality of raising a family on a starship.

"You have the Engine Room, Leela," he said to the Trill as he exited the office.  "See if you all can make any more headway on those readings."

[Shuttlebay One]

The flight crew had already prepped the Monongahela-A for takeoff as Gabriel made his way to the launch site.  It felt strange not seeing Jiseth around, but he assumed she was verboten from even thinking about flying.  He didn't know her as well as Archangel did, but the Romulan pilot's actions with Zero had not sat well at all with Gabriel.  Zero was cold, but she'd done wonders in helping Aria come into the world.  For that, he'd forever be in her debt.

[Engine Room]

"Sure thing Gabe, we'll track it down." She flashed a smile and looked over to Aria. She contemplated if it was wise to leave a child alone in the engine room with the holographic sitter. Then she brushed off her concerns and looked back to Gabe. "And I promise not to let her take anything important apart."
Back to top Go down
Gavin Van Gelder
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Starfleet Starfleet Award of Merit Sciences
Best Couple
Participated in the first mission

PostSubject: Re: Mission 9: Tears of Procopius   Mission 9:  Tears of Procopius - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 16, 2015 10:53 pm

T'Lara wrote:

"Well, it sounds like they took your advice," she said to Van Gelder. "Shall we go?"

[Stellar Cartography]

An away team.

Gavin flinched involuntarily at the sound of Admiral Stark's voice coming over the comm system. He sighed, taking a deep breath and then letting it out. The last time he'd been on an away mission, it'd ended up in a firefight. He'd watched people die all around him. Nothing his vaunted intelligence could do about that. Not one damn thing! That mission had brought him a little closer to Jiseth. Something about being shot at with disruptors created a bonding experience. And then, of course, she had to go and kidnap Zero, turning her over to torture and god-knew-what else. Never forget that. Never forget her true colors.

"Yeah," he said, shutting down the holo display. "I guess we should."

[Shuttlebay One]

He finished the quick trip to the shuttle in silence, holding a kitbag of equipment close to him. Gavin boarded the craft, eyes looking straight ahead.
Back to top Go down
Corman Stark
Rear Admiral Lower Half
Rear Admiral Lower Half

Captain's Recognition
1 Year Service
Founding Member

PostSubject: Re: Mission 9: Tears of Procopius   Mission 9:  Tears of Procopius - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 17, 2015 9:21 am

[Bridge]

The landing party dispatched, Stark settled back into the center seat. He didn't like embarrassing officers, but that hadn't been his entire point in the exchange with M'Rai. Jiseth's near-defection to the RSE had sent ripples through the whole Flight department. One thing Stark didn't need was a shaky department. The ship deserved better than that.

It was satisfying, though, to see competent officers going about their duties without him having to monitor every little aspect. Some captains enjoyed that, but he'd never been one. While being able to trust a crew as naturally as breathing would only come with time he didn't have with these people, they had already been through much together.

"Commander Rellek," he said, turning to the Science station. "Looks like you're acting XO right now." That seemed to be happening often, and it wasn't by accident.
Back to top Go down
Archangel T'Koris
Captain
Captain

Starfleet Starfleet Award of Merit Command
1 Year Service
Art Contribution

PostSubject: Re: Mission 9: Tears of Procopius   Mission 9:  Tears of Procopius - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 17, 2015 4:59 pm

Gabriel Arthur wrote:
The flight crew had already prepped the Monongahela-A for takeoff as Gabriel made his way to the launch site. It felt strange not seeing Jiseth around, but he assumed she was verboten from even thinking about flying. He didn't know her as well as Archangel did, but the Romulan pilot's actions with Zero had not sat well at all with Gabriel. Zero was cold, but she'd done wonders in helping Aria come into the world. For that, he'd forever be in her debt.

Gavin Van Gelder wrote:
He finished the quick trip to the shuttle in silence, holding a kitbag of equipment close to him.  Gavin boarded the craft, eyes looking straight ahead.

[Shuttle Bay]

Once Ezac had joined them in the turbolift, Archangel had given the computer their destination and started the short ride to the shuttlebay where a craft had already been prepped for them. She couldn't help but give a faint smile at the sight of the newly commissioned and renamed Monongahela. It had always been one of Gabriel's favourite shuttles.

Leading the small team from the bridge onto the shuttle, her smile growing as she spotted a familiar face already waiting there. Making her way to the cockpit, she let her hand brush discreetly against Gabriel's to give it a squeeze, happy to see him but unwilling to do much more to acknowledge their relationship. They were on duty, after all.

Letting Persephone get on with the pre-flight checks, she opened a channel to the bridge:

"This is the Monongehela A requesting permission to depart,"
Back to top Go down
Kintiss
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

First Officer's Recognition

PostSubject: Re: Mission 9: Tears of Procopius   Mission 9:  Tears of Procopius - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 17, 2015 5:58 pm

[Shuttle Bay]

Kintiss had boarded the shuttle with the unpronounceable name and had taken a seat in the back, close to the replicator, in case he wanted a Raktajino during the flight. He quickly double-checked the contents of his medkit, just to check if he had everything he needed. The one thing he hated about not knowing what awaited him was the need to consider every possible medical emergency. The good thing about it was he wouldn't have to worry about not having the right tool. He'd brought it all: Medical tricorder, hyposprays, compound synthesiser, rad-cleaner, osteo-stim, the works. He was ready for anything.
Back to top Go down
http://mellowgadget.blogspot.com
Safefta Pardek
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Star Cross
Post of the Month - Shore Leave

PostSubject: Re: Mission 9: Tears of Procopius   Mission 9:  Tears of Procopius - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 17, 2015 6:26 pm

Gavin Van Gelder wrote:

[Stellar Cartography]

An away team.

Gavin flinched involuntarily at the sound of Admiral Stark's voice coming over the comm system.  He sighed, taking a deep breath and then letting it out.  The last time he'd been on an away mission, it'd ended up in a firefight.  He'd watched people die all around him.  Nothing his vaunted intelligence could do about that.  Not one damn thing!  That mission had brought him a little closer to Jiseth.  Something about being shot at with disruptors created a bonding experience.  And then, of course, she had to go and kidnap Zero, turning her over to torture and god-knew-what else.  Never forget that.  Never forget her true colors.

"Yeah," he said, shutting down the holo display.  "I guess we should."

[Shuttlebay One]

He finished the quick trip to the shuttle in silence, holding a kitbag of equipment close to him.  Gavin boarded the craft, eyes looking straight ahead.

[Shuttlebay One]

Though not fully aware of what the away team would entail, Safefta had ensured her punctuality and had arrived as one of the first in the shuttle. She said nothing to no one, and instead watched the others board with badly disguised disinterest.

Among those to arrive was Gavin Van Gelder, a science officer that she'd seen before in the labs whenever she walked by that section of the ship. The two had never spoken, but he was the most familiar face to Safefta, so she sat down next to him and offered a curt nod.

This was going to be a long one.
Back to top Go down
Gabriel Arthur
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Technical Precision
Star Cross
Starfleet Starfleet Award of Merit Operations
1 Year Service
Art Contribution

PostSubject: Re: Mission 9: Tears of Procopius   Mission 9:  Tears of Procopius - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 17, 2015 7:13 pm

Archangel T'Koris wrote:

Once Ezac had joined them in the turbolift, Archangel had given the computer their destination and started the short ride to the shuttlebay where a craft had already been prepped for them.  She couldn't help but give a faint smile at the sight of the newly commissioned and renamed Monongahela.  It had always been one of Gabriel's favourite shuttles.

Leading the small team from the bridge onto the shuttle, her smile growing as she spotted a familiar face already waiting there.  Making her way to the cockpit, she let her hand brush discreetly against Gabriel's to give it a squeeze, happy to see him but unwilling to do much more to acknowledge their relationship.  They were on duty, after all.

Letting Persephone get on with the pre-flight checks, she opened a channel to the bridge:

"This is the Monongehela A requesting permission to depart,"

[Shuttlebay One]

Gabriel nodded in thanks to one of the sec/tac crew that had handed him a phaser. He holstered the weapon, smiling as he saw his wife step on board the runabout. Of course, as acting XO, the away team would fall under her watch. Still, it didn't exactly sit well with him, knowing that both of them were leaving together. When one was a parent on a starship...well, those things were always in the back of your head.

He straightened his engineering jacket-vest, settling into the seat. Gabe couldn't help but remember the first time he'd gone on an away mission with Archangel. She'd been his Chief Engineer, back then. And that one had ended up with her being involuntarily offered for marriage to a Romulan politician. If there were any Romulan politicians on the surface below, he'd probably just shoot them on sight.
Back to top Go down
Julia Rellek
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Star Cross
1 Year Service

PostSubject: Re: Mission 9: Tears of Procopius   Mission 9:  Tears of Procopius - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 17, 2015 9:47 pm

Corman Stark wrote:
[Bridge]

The landing party dispatched, Stark settled back into the center seat.  He didn't like embarrassing officers, but that hadn't been his entire point in the exchange with M'Rai.  Jiseth's near-defection to the RSE had sent ripples through the whole Flight department.  One thing Stark didn't need was a shaky department.  The ship deserved better than that.  

It was satisfying, though, to see competent officers going about their duties without him having to monitor every little aspect.  Some captains enjoyed that, but he'd never been one.  While being able to trust a crew as naturally as breathing would only come with time he didn't have with these people, they had already been through much together.

"Commander Rellek," he said, turning to the Science station.  "Looks like you're acting XO right now."  That seemed to be happening often, and it wasn't by accident.  

Julia nodded towards the Admiral. "Acknowledged sir." She thought of moving down to the center of the bridge and then decided to remain at her post. With two key members of her team heading down to the surface she decided it was important to remain at her post. They seemed to be throwing Julia into these new roles with alarming frequency. She turned her attention to the scanners and awaited the runabouts departure.
Back to top Go down
T'Lara
Petty Officer 3rd Class
Petty Officer 3rd Class

PostSubject: Re: Mission 9: Tears of Procopius   Mission 9:  Tears of Procopius - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 17, 2015 11:23 pm

Gavin Van Gelder wrote:

[Stellar Cartography]

An away team.

Gavin flinched involuntarily at the sound of Admiral Stark's voice coming over the comm system.  He sighed, taking a deep breath and then letting it out.  The last time he'd been on an away mission, it'd ended up in a firefight.  He'd watched people die all around him.  Nothing his vaunted intelligence could do about that.  Not one damn thing!  That mission had brought him a little closer to Jiseth.  Something about being shot at with disruptors created a bonding experience.  And then, of course, she had to go and kidnap Zero, turning her over to torture and god-knew-what else.  Never forget that.  Never forget her true colors.

"Yeah," he said, shutting down the holo display.  "I guess we should."

[Shuttlebay One]

[Stellar Cartography]

T'Lara saw a curious expression cross Gavin's face, but she said nothing about it as she followed him out.

[Shuttlebay One]

After she gathered all the equipment she would need in a shoulder bag, she entered the shuttle and found an empty seat, then she waited silently for departure. She didn't particularly feel like talking to anyone at the moment, even though she hadn't spoken with Archangel much since she returned from Vulcan.
Back to top Go down
Gavin Van Gelder
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Best Couple

PostSubject: Re: Mission 9: Tears of Procopius   Mission 9:  Tears of Procopius - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 18, 2015 8:20 pm

T'Lara wrote:

After she gathered all the equipment she would need in a shoulder bag, she entered the shuttle and found an empty seat, then she waited silently for departure. She didn't particularly feel like talking to anyone at the moment, even though she hadn't spoken with Archangel much since she returned from Vulcan.

[USS Monongahela-A]

Gavin was most certainly not feeling very comfortable right now, and the grim visage of Ensign Pardek wasn't exactly helping. He tried to wonder if her attitude was an indicator of the danger they were possibly going into. Then again...she kinda was like that all the time.

He leaned back into the seat as the runabout began the departure from the Phoenix's shuttlebay, burying his face into a padd and continuing to study the cartographic readings. Gavin assumed that everyone would just assume that he had 'away team' jitters. At least, he hoped they assumed that. Better to let them think that. Never mine me, folks. Just trying not to imagine the last away mission. Y'know, flight crew dropping like flies around me, and all that.
Back to top Go down
Persephone M'Rai
Ensign
Ensign

PostSubject: Re: Mission 9: Tears of Procopius   Mission 9:  Tears of Procopius - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 18, 2015 8:42 pm

[Shuttlecraft]

Once she had received authorisation from the bridge to depart, Persephone acknowledged the transmission and engaged the maneuvering thrusters. Getting in and out of the ship was a delicate process unless you were using the guidance tractors and that was something that the young Caitian had always found to spoil the fun of piloting a little. Not to mention the fact that once you left flight school, you were far more accustomed to docking by eye than you were by tractor.

A few bursts from the thrusters was all it took to get the shuttle out of the docking bay and out into space, and only a few moments after that to clear the Phoenix's shields.

Finding coordinates for a landing site was proving to be difficult since their sensors were having a hard time penetrating the anomalies to give them a clear reading of the surface, so Persephone's plan was pretty much to get through the anomalies and just hope that there was a patch of clear land close by for her to set the craft down on.

Unfortunately, things weren't going to be that easy. The closer she took the craft to the planet, the more the anomalies seemed to interfere with her instruments. Before long, she was flying on her sight alone. That was enough to make even a seasoned pilot nervous.

"It's prrrrobably a little late to be asking this, but is everrrrryone back therrrre wearrring theirrrr safety belts?"
Back to top Go down
Ezac
Petty Officer 2nd Class
Petty Officer 2nd Class

PostSubject: Re: Mission 9: Tears of Procopius   Mission 9:  Tears of Procopius - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 18, 2015 11:17 pm

Persephone M'Rai wrote:
[Shuttlecraft]

"It's prrrrobably a little late to be asking this, but is everrrrryone back therrrre wearrring theirrrr safety belts?"

Persephone's words struck Ezac. It had become easier and easier to forget the need to demonstrate a concern for one's comrades. While some actions certainly qualify with bold and life endangering emphasis, Ezac often felt more comforted by the small gestures than the large.

As he reached up and wrapped his fingers around his secured restraints, he raised his voice slightly and offered a response.

"My restraints are fastened, Ensign. Thank you for the reminder."
Back to top Go down
Leela Kaz
Ensign
Ensign

Holodiction
Most Improved
Best Duo
Art Contribution

PostSubject: Re: Mission 9: Tears of Procopius   Mission 9:  Tears of Procopius - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 19, 2015 12:33 am

Kejal Buris wrote:

[Bridge]

Buris' fingers tightened slightly on his console at the public dressing-down that the Admiral gave to the Helmswoman.  He wanted to say something, but couldn't bring himself to.  There was too much behind it, but then again, he didn't know why he was getting worked up.  The woman had been blatantly insubordinate.  And it was none of his business, he was new here.  And yet.  He could tell that people expected the man at Ops to react - not because they expected Buris to, but instead because they expected the Ops man to defend the crew.  And he might have if he wasn't so newly aboard - but only in private.

All he could do now was turn to the felinoid woman and smile, thinking for a moment.  Rather than asking the Captain again, he sent a message directly to Shuttlebay One - to equip the Runabout with additional communications and transporter beacons.  He'd been through this before - when transporters were non-functional for any reason, that was when you'd need them most to save the lives of the crew.  He'd had to manually strip down and replace the phase inducer on the Bellerophon in the middle of a Mutara-class nebula to beam someone in from a rapidly-failing shuttlecraft.  Of course, his "phase inducer" was really just two high-density ODN wires and a gelpack wrapped around a piece of EPS plasma conduit, but it had held.  He didn't have the confidence here that he had there, though.  He'd seen a diagnostic report, but until you were there for the teardown, you couldn't trust the damn thing beyond the regs, as he'd noted minutes before.

And this crew wasn't one he could trust just yet, not with all the craziness he'd already heard about and experienced personally.  He looked down at his board again, and sighed heavily.  One more thing.  He didn't know what was happening with the engines, but he sighed and spoke quietly after tapping his comm.

=^=Engine room, Ops here.  I'm seeing some strange fluctuations in the readings coming up from down there.  Can you resolve them?  Do you need a maintenance team dispatched?"=^=

He decided to do the smart thing, and forwarded the Engineering fluctuations to the bridge science station, because he had a funny feeling there was correlation between the two sets of weirdness.  Which meant that, if he was right, the longer they stayed here, the more trouble they'd be in.

Which of course meant that they'd be here a while.

Leela continued to work on these unexplained issue in engineering. She tried to do some light house cleaning while she awaited the diagnostics. She was putting away several tools that had been left out by the previous shift. Then the voice of the operations officer filled the engine room;

=/\=You've got Kaz in Engineering. I think we'll be alright Ensign. We're currently running level 3 diagnostics. As soon as we have something we'll let you know.=/\=
Back to top Go down
Persephone M'Rai
Ensign
Ensign

PostSubject: Re: Mission 9: Tears of Procopius   Mission 9:  Tears of Procopius - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 19, 2015 7:50 pm

Ezac wrote:
Persephone's words struck Ezac. It had become easier and easier to forget the need to demonstrate a concern for one's comrades. While some actions certainly qualify with bold and life endangering emphasis, Ezac often felt more comforted by the small gestures than the large.

As he reached up and wrapped his fingers around his secured restraints, he raised his voice slightly and offered a response.

"My restraints are fastened, Ensign. Thank you for the reminder."

[Shuttlecraft]

"Good, because I don't think this is going to be an easy landing!"

And it certainly wasn't an easy landing.  The anomalies didn't let up the further she got down into the atmosphere.  Turbulence shook the ship near constantly.  A few scratches appeared on the console as Persephone's claws popped out, a natural response to her stress.  

Breaking through the higher atmosphere an the cloud barrier, the sensors linking the shuttle to the ship failed, communications dropping out.  Thankfully, there were no large structures of any kind to crash into.  That would have put a bit of a crimp on the situation.

Mission 9:  Tears of Procopius - Page 4 Stock_background_05_by_floydier86-d94r3an

The shuttle bounced a couple of times as it landed, but it was still very much in one piece.  Persephone unclasped her safety harness, shaking herself briefly and willing her fur to lie flat again.

"Well, we'rrrre herrrre," she reported, looking slightly guilty.  "We have no sensors though, something out therrrre's interrrrferrrring with them."
Back to top Go down
Corman Stark
Rear Admiral Lower Half
Rear Admiral Lower Half

Captain's Recognition
1 Year Service
Founding Member

PostSubject: Re: Mission 9: Tears of Procopius   Mission 9:  Tears of Procopius - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 19, 2015 8:09 pm

[Bridge]

Whatever the energy readings were, Stark wasn't overly thrilled to hear that the Engine Room was noticing them too. He trusted those people to track it down. While he'd always known enough about starship operations to be dangerous, Corman was an old sec/tac hand. Engineering tended to make his head spin.

A small warning sounded as the Monongahela lost communications with the ship. "See what you can do to re-establish that link," he calmly said, standing from the command chair and walking toward the help and ops forward consoles.
Back to top Go down
Gavin Van Gelder
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Best Couple

PostSubject: Re: Mission 9: Tears of Procopius   Mission 9:  Tears of Procopius - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 19, 2015 8:43 pm

Persephone M'Rai wrote:

"Good, because I don't think this is going to be an easy landing!"

And it certainly wasn't an easy landing.  The anomalies didn't let up the further she got down into the atmosphere.  Turbulence shook the ship near constantly.  A few scratches appeared on the console as Persephone's claws popped out, a natural response to her stress.  

Breaking through the higher atmosphere an the cloud barrier, the sensors linking the shuttle to the ship failed, communications dropping out.  Thankfully, there were no large structures of any kind to crash into.  That would have put a bit of a crimp on the situation.

Mission 9:  Tears of Procopius - Page 4 Stock_background_05_by_floydier86-d94r3an

The shuttle bounced a couple of times as it landed, but it was still very much in one piece.  Persephone unclasped her safety harness, shaking herself briefly and willing her fur to lie flat again.

"Well, we'rrrre herrrre," she reported, looking slightly guilty.  "We have no sensors though, something out therrrre's interrrrferrrring with them."

[Planetside]

Days like this made Gavin realize why he wasn't a pilot. Besides. With his IQ, combined with a flight jock's sense of superiority? He'd be an utter monster.

Once Captain (and, yes, she was still Captain to him) T'Koris had given the word, they'd all filed out of the runabout and into...well, Gavin wasn't quite sure how to describe it. The world seemed to be covered in...crystal. There simply wasn't another way to put it. Ridges of crystal rose up and fell with the lay of the land. Tall spires of crystal jutted from the cold, sterile-looking ground, rearing high into the greyish sky. The only sound was the wind, which had a slightly-musical tone to it as it kissed the spires.

"Wow..." he breathed. There seemed to be nothing better to say.

Gavin suddenly remembered why he was here, whipping out a tricorder and taking readings. "Minshara-class, type four. This place won't kill us, but we probably don't want to vacation here. Though, if there's water...I'll be damned if I can read any."
Back to top Go down
Kaitlin Dexter
Senior Crewman
Senior Crewman

PostSubject: Re: Mission 9: Tears of Procopius   Mission 9:  Tears of Procopius - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 20, 2015 5:14 am

Kaitlin looked up at the clock. "My shift begins in 10 minutes, I have to go. I'll see you soon and it was nice to get properly acquanted!" Kaitlin smiled then stood up and headed for the bridge. She had a good feeling about herself and she was looking forward to her shift.

Bridge

Kaitlin walked into the bridge and headed for admiral Stark. "Admiral, crewman Dexter reporting to the bridge." Kaitlin said stood bolt upright and waiting for the admiral's reply. The bridge was very quiet and Kaitlin was aware half of the senior officers went on a mission.
Back to top Go down
Julia Rellek
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Star Cross
1 Year Service

PostSubject: Re: Mission 9: Tears of Procopius   Mission 9:  Tears of Procopius - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 20, 2015 3:22 pm

Kaitlin Dexter wrote:
Kaitlin looked up at the clock. "My shift begins in 10 minutes, I have to go. I'll see you soon and it was nice to get properly acquanted!" Kaitlin smiled then stood up and headed for the bridge. She had a good feeling about herself and she was looking forward to her shift.

Bridge

Kaitlin walked into the bridge and headed for admiral Stark. "Admiral, crewman Dexter reporting to the bridge." Kaitlin said stood bolt upright and waiting for the admiral's reply. The bridge was very quiet and Kaitlin was aware half of the senior officers went on a mission.

[Bridge]

Julia looked up from the Science 1 console as Kaitlin entered the bridge. The young Commander was surprised by the formality the crewman expressed. The Admiral seemed occupied with the away team so Julia stood up and chimed in. "Crewman, ensign M'rai is on the away team. Can you please take the Comm. We're holding position in orbit."
Back to top Go down
Kintiss
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

First Officer's Recognition

PostSubject: Re: Mission 9: Tears of Procopius   Mission 9:  Tears of Procopius - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 20, 2015 5:47 pm

[Planet Surface]

The moment Kintiss stepped out of the shuttlecraft, he felt a wave of uncomfortable cold hit him like a pillowcase full of iron bricks. The cold was rarely a friend to reptiles such as himself. Why couldn't they have landed near a beach or a nice desert? Somewhere that agreed with him a little more. He kept a tight grip on his medkit, the feeling that he'd need it very present in his mind.
Back to top Go down
http://mellowgadget.blogspot.com
Corman Stark
Rear Admiral Lower Half
Rear Admiral Lower Half

Captain's Recognition
1 Year Service
Founding Member

PostSubject: Re: Mission 9: Tears of Procopius   Mission 9:  Tears of Procopius - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 20, 2015 6:48 pm

Julia Rellek wrote:

Julia looked up from the Science 1 console as Kaitlin entered the bridge. The young Commander was surprised by the formality the crewman expressed. The Admiral seemed occupied with the away team so Julia stood up and chimed in. "Crewman, ensign M'rai is on the away team. Can you please take the Comm. We're holding position in orbit."

[Bridge]

A new pressure started to build behind Stark's temples as their wayward flight officer, Dexter, made her way back to the bridge. He didn't know if Warden had cleared her or not, but he assumed the answer was no, seeing as how just this morning the man had expressed reservations about putting her back on duty.

However...as acting XO, Rellek was department head of department heads. Sometimes the academic approach would only take a person so far. There was also something to be said for a trial by fire.

Then again, winging it and hoping for the best wasn't a good idea when 3,309,000 tonnes were on the line.

In the end, he decided to let it slide. Growing soft in your old age, Stark thought, frowning. "Launch a Class-5 recon probe. Even if we can't establish a visual, we might be able to get voice-link."
Back to top Go down
Archangel T'Koris
Captain
Captain

Starfleet Starfleet Award of Merit Command
1 Year Service
Art Contribution

PostSubject: Re: Mission 9: Tears of Procopius   Mission 9:  Tears of Procopius - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 20, 2015 7:52 pm

Gavin Van Gelder wrote:
"Wow..." he breathed.  There seemed to be nothing better to say.  

Gavin suddenly remembered why he was here, whipping out a tricorder and taking readings.  "Minshara-class, type four.  This place won't kill us, but we probably don't want to vacation here.  Though, if there's water...I'll be damned if I can read any."

[Planetside]

Once Persephone had secured the shuttle, Archangel had given the word for the away team to get out of the craft and was quick to join them on the planet's surface. It felt strange to be on an away team again, especially without the old familiar weight of her tool belt around her waist. Now all she had was a hand phaser, which she didn't even want to carry but was a necessity for all those going down to an unknown planet.

Crouching down to examine an example of what seemed to be the planet's flora, a strange thing that appeared to be of the same crystalline structure as the rest of the planet, she smiled slightly at Gavin. "I suspect these plants don't need water in the same way the ones we're used to do," she replied, straightening up. As she did, she rubbed her temples. There was a pressure there that seemed to be building, but that was to be expected given the stress of having Admiral Stark breathing down her neck. Even if he wasn't, she still got that impression from him.
Back to top Go down
Gabriel Arthur
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Technical Precision
Star Cross
1 Year Service
Art Contribution

PostSubject: Re: Mission 9: Tears of Procopius   Mission 9:  Tears of Procopius - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 20, 2015 9:04 pm

Archangel T'Koris wrote:

[Planetside]

Once Persephone had secured the shuttle, Archangel had given the word for the away team to get out of the craft and was quick to join them on the planet's surface. It felt strange to be on an away team again, especially without the old familiar weight of her tool belt around her waist. Now all she had was a hand phaser, which she didn't even want to carry but was a necessity for all those going down to an unknown planet.

Crouching down to examine an example of what seemed to be the planet's flora, a strange thing that appeared to be of the same crystalline structure as the rest of the planet, she smiled slightly at Gavin. "I suspect these plants don't need water in the same way the ones we're used to do," she replied, straightening up. As she did, she rubbed her temples. There was a pressure there that seemed to be building, but that was to be expected given the stress of having Admiral Stark breathing down her neck. Even if he wasn't, she still got that impression from him.

[Planetside]

Well...I'll be damned, Gabriel thought, staring in wonderment at the crystalline worldscape that unfurled before them.  With all that they'd faced in the past few months, it was nice sometimes just to...feel a sense of wonder.  It was good to remember why in the hell they were all out here and doing this job in the first place.

Gabe quirked an eyebrow, sidling up to Archangel as she knelt down to touch a flower-like thing.  He thought about reminding her not to touch strange plants (remembering, of course, the time spores from the Beta Quadrant had driven most of the Athena bugnuts insane), but she was his XO here, and not just his wife.

"Gonna put it in your pocket and take it home?" he asked, grinning.  It turned to a slight frown, though, at the expression on her face.  "Everything ok?"
Back to top Go down
Safefta Pardek
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Star Cross
Post of the Month - Shore Leave

PostSubject: Re: Mission 9: Tears of Procopius   Mission 9:  Tears of Procopius - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 21, 2015 1:14 am

[Planetside]

Stepping out of the shuttle was like stepping into a veritable wonderland. Safefta easily noticed the people around her gazing around with a look of relief and happiness on their faces. She herself had no time for that, aside from a slight exhale of acknowledgement that she was in fact seeing what everyone else was seeing. She was simply there for security reasons.

The Romulan had her hand phaser out and was alert, but she knew this wasn't a combat situation. Even so, there was something prickling her brain, something she couldn't really put a nose on as a regular sense of awareness. There was that, and a light pressure behind her ears.

It must be the atmospheric pressure... Safefta dismissed it without barely a second thought and instead moved into her job, which was to make sure no one was ambushed by.... Plants? Why am I here, again?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mission 9: Tears of Procopius   Mission 9:  Tears of Procopius - Page 4 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Mission 9: Tears of Procopius
Page 4 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next