Aurora Fleet
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Current Year: 2379

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» *poking the fleet part deux*
Search for Better Times I_icon_minitimeby Archangel T'Koris Thu Jul 15, 2021 12:57 pm

» Isn't this a fine kettle of fish?
Search for Better Times I_icon_minitimeby Archangel T'Koris Sat Dec 17, 2016 5:36 am

» *pokes the fleet*
Search for Better Times I_icon_minitimeby Julia Rellek Sat Nov 12, 2016 12:23 am

» Hrafn is back (sort of)
Search for Better Times I_icon_minitimeby Archangel T'Koris Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:00 pm

» Merger
Search for Better Times I_icon_minitimeby Archangel T'Koris Fri May 06, 2016 7:04 pm

» Uninvited Guests [Zero / Leela]
Search for Better Times I_icon_minitimeby Zero Alpha Wed May 04, 2016 4:50 pm

» Seeing Clearly
Search for Better Times I_icon_minitimeby Archangel T'Koris Wed May 04, 2016 4:42 pm

» Season 2, Mission 2: Light the Way
Search for Better Times I_icon_minitimeby Elena Tarunt Tue May 03, 2016 10:37 pm

» FACECLAIMS
Search for Better Times I_icon_minitimeby Guest Tue May 03, 2016 12:24 pm

» Application:John Brown
Search for Better Times I_icon_minitimeby Julia Rellek Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:08 am

Affiliates

Search for Better Times

Go down 
2 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Archangel T'Koris
Captain
Captain

Starfleet Starfleet Award of Merit Command
1 Year Service
Art Contribution
Completed Plot and Bio Page
Participated in the first mission

Search for Better Times Empty
PostSubject: Search for Better Times   Search for Better Times I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 03, 2014 5:31 pm

[USS Phoenix]

The black uniform made it almost impossible to see the figure as she darted from side to side, trying to move forward but being constantly pushed back by an unknown force. It was difficult to determine anything about the figure in the gloom. It was humanoid, that was certain, and possibly female, but any other telling features were hidden.

She seemed to be losing ground now, and the reason for the constant dodging dance was becoming clear. Thin streaks of plasma fire were lancing along the passage, becoming faster and more frequent as time passed. The figure was struggling now, losing ground with each step. Her movements were becoming jerky, locing their easy grace. One bolt came dangerously close to her head. The hood that masked her features slipped, coming loose, revealing black hair pulled into a severe knot, pointed ears and upswept eyebrows.

Archangel T'Koris was breathing heavily, her chest heaving as she struggled to keep up with the program. It was Gamma shift, one traditionally associated with sleep, but that wasn't the case for her. She had woken up in a cold sweat, with Sovereign's laugh in her ears and Jarris' cold hand on her skin. She had had to make sure that Gabriel was still there, still sleeping peacefully in the bed next to her, before slipping out of bed and going to check on her girls, needing to know that they were safe as well. And then she had quietly left her quarters for the holodeck.

The program was of Section 31 design, meant to test and push their operatives' reflexes, demanding faster and faster reactions from the operatives with every strike that passed. There were no rewards at the end. Not getting injured was supposed to be the reward. As incentives go, it was quite a good one.

She wasn't entirely sure why she had chosen this program. There were many other things she could concern herself with, such as the upcoming birthdays of her little girls, but this seemed to call to her. Another couple of bolts narrowly missed their targets. Well, that wasn't strictly true, was it? She was here because she was angry, and this generally helped her to work off that anger.

But angry at what? Starfleet? Section 31? The Star Empire? Herself? Yes. All of them. Anger at how the organisations controlled her as if she were their personal puppet. Anger at her own inability to fight against them. Anger at the cruel universe that spared no mercy for her family.

A bolt hit her thigh, sending her to the ground. Yelling out an order to pause the program, the young Romulan just sat there, her hands on the deep burn wound as tears welled up in her eyes and spilled over, the only sound in the passage her quiet sobs.
Back to top Go down
Gabriel Arthur
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Technical Precision
Star Cross
Starfleet Starfleet Award of Merit Operations
1 Year Service
Art Contribution

PostSubject: Re: Search for Better Times   Search for Better Times I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 04, 2014 8:01 am

[Corridors]

When he first awoke and found himself alone, Gabriel didn't worry. It had soon become apparent, however, that his wife was not going to be returning any time soon. The computer advised him as to exactly where she was, and Gabe felt his heart sink a little. What in the hell was she doing in the holodeck at this hour?

He'd checked in on the girls, both of them sleeping peacefully, and had tucked Seika's blanket back around her. As he threw on a night robe, Gabriel had activated the sitter hologram program, just for safety's sake.

And so, here he was, standing hesitantly in front of the door to the holodeck. Gabriel reached down, touching the keypad, stepping through as the door slid open, and...

"Good God!" he yelled, rushing to his wife's side. Had she been shot? "What the hell happened?" he said, kneeling down close to her. "Are the safeties off?" His mind recoiled in sickening horror as he realized that she was wearing that black uniform. He pushed that aside for now, however, since there were more immediate concerns.
Back to top Go down
Archangel T'Koris
Captain
Captain

1 Year Service
Art Contribution

PostSubject: Re: Search for Better Times   Search for Better Times I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 04, 2014 8:24 am

Gabriel Arthur wrote:
[Corridors]

When he first awoke and found himself alone, Gabriel didn't worry.  It had soon become apparent, however, that his wife was not going to be returning any time soon.  The computer advised him as to exactly where she was, and Gabe felt his heart sink a little.  What in the hell was she doing in the holodeck at this hour?  

He'd checked in on the girls, both of them sleeping peacefully, and had tucked Seika's blanket back around her.  As he threw on a night robe, Gabriel had activated the sitter hologram program, just for safety's sake.

And so, here he was, standing hesitantly in front of the door to the holodeck.  Gabriel reached down, touching the keypad, stepping through as the door slid open, and...

"Good God!" he yelled, rushing to his wife's side.  Had she been shot?  "What the hell happened?" he said, kneeling down close to her.  "Are the safeties off?"  His mind recoiled in sickening horror as he realized that she was wearing that black uniform.  He pushed that aside for now, however, since there were more immediate concerns.

[Holodeck]

She should really have known that he was going to turn up. He always did. He always found the things that she tried to hide from him. She looked up briefly at him, then turned her head away, ashamed of both being found doing what she had been doing, and that he was seeing her crying again.

"This program automatically disables the safeties," she replied quietly. "They're not compatible." She looked down at her hands, which were unsuccessfully trying to hide the plasma wound to her thigh. "You weren't supposed to know."
Back to top Go down
Gabriel Arthur
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Technical Precision
Star Cross
1 Year Service
Art Contribution

PostSubject: Re: Search for Better Times   Search for Better Times I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 04, 2014 8:52 am

Archangel T'Koris wrote:
She should really have known that he was going to turn up.  He always did.  He always found the things that she tried to hide from him.  She looked up briefly at him, then turned her head away, ashamed of both being found doing what she had been doing, and that he was seeing her crying again.

"This program automatically disables the safeties," she replied quietly.  "They're not compatible."  She looked down at her hands, which were unsuccessfully trying to hide the plasma wound to her thigh.  "You weren't supposed to know."

Of course it disables the safety. Why wouldn't it? S31 would only want the best for their drones. To weed out the weak. Wasn't that what they were there for? Only the strongest for the 'safety' of the Federation? At least, that's what the sick bastards in charge told themselves, a comforting thought for those who counted lives as statistics.

"If I wasn't supposed to know...why wasn't the door command-sealed?" he quietly asked, examining the wound. "This burn is fairly deep, Angel. I'm going to transport us to Sickbay." He turned, kissing her lightly on the cheek. She'd been crying. "We'll talk about all this later...but we need to get you treated, first."
Back to top Go down
Archangel T'Koris
Captain
Captain

1 Year Service
Art Contribution

PostSubject: Re: Search for Better Times   Search for Better Times I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 04, 2014 9:07 am

Gabriel Arthur wrote:

Of course it disables the safety.  Why wouldn't it?  S31 would only want the best for their drones.  To weed out the weak.  Wasn't that what they were there for?  Only the strongest for the 'safety' of the Federation?  At least, that's what the sick bastards in charge told themselves, a comforting thought for those who counted lives as statistics.

"If I wasn't supposed to know...why wasn't the door command-sealed?" he quietly asked, examining the wound.  "This burn is fairly deep, Angel.  I'm going to transport us to Sickbay."  He turned, kissing her lightly on the cheek.  She'd been crying.  "We'll talk about all this later...but we need to get you treated, first."

Archangel found that she was holding her breath as Gabriel laid a gentle kiss on her cheek. Even though she had so nearly left him behind during the spore incident, he still cared so deeply. It felt... odd, in a sense. She couldn't gether head around it.

"I thought you'd still be asleep," she admitted. That much was true. They were both working hard on the ship, only two days out from its moorings at Starbase Athena, that she hadn't expected him to wake up so early.

As he looked at the burn on her leg, she resisted the urge to try to hide it from him. "It's fine," she said quietly. "I don't need to go to sickbay. It's fine."
Back to top Go down
Gabriel Arthur
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Technical Precision
Star Cross
1 Year Service
Art Contribution

PostSubject: Re: Search for Better Times   Search for Better Times I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 04, 2014 9:23 am

Archangel T'Koris wrote:

Archangel found that she was holding her breath as Gabriel laid a gentle kiss on her cheek.  Even though she had so nearly left him behind during the spore incident, he still cared so deeply.  It felt... odd, in a sense.  She couldn't gether head around it.

"I thought you'd still be asleep," she admitted.  That much was true.  They were both working hard on the ship, only two days out from its moorings at Starbase Athena, that she hadn't expected him to wake up so early.  

As he looked at the burn on her leg, she resisted the urge to try to hide it from him.  "It's fine," she said quietly.  "I don't need to go to sickbay.  It's fine."

"Right," Gabriel said, giving his wife an incredulous look. "Like that argument is going to convince me. Computer, archway," he ordered, as the console panels around the doorway materialized. He cursed himself for not putting a combadge on before rushing out of the house, but...there hadn't been much time to think. And a Starfleet insignia wasn't really standard issue for the training uniform she was wearing.

Moving over to the control, Gabriel hit the commswitch. "Arthur to Sickbay, prepare for site-to-site transport of myself and the captain. Arthur to transport control, beam Captain T'Koris and myself to sickbay on my mark. Stand by."

He knelt down, gently placing his hand on her shoulder. "No arguments," he said, in a tone of finality. "Mark," Gabriel commanded, as the pair left the holodeck and re-materialized in sickbay.

"The captain's been injured in training," Gabriel announced, as the bright confines of sickbay appeared around them. At least he didn't have to lie to his own crew for her actions.
Back to top Go down
Archangel T'Koris
Captain
Captain

1 Year Service
Art Contribution

PostSubject: Re: Search for Better Times   Search for Better Times I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 04, 2014 9:36 am

Gabriel Arthur wrote:

"Right," Gabriel said, giving his wife an incredulous look.  "Like that argument is going to convince me.  Computer, archway," he ordered, as the console panels around the doorway materialized.  He cursed himself for not putting a combadge on before rushing out of the house, but...there hadn't been much time to think.  And a Starfleet insignia wasn't really standard issue for the training uniform she was wearing.

Moving over to the control, Gabriel hit the commswitch.  "Arthur to Sickbay, prepare for site-to-site transport of myself and the captain.  Arthur to transport control, beam Captain T'Koris and myself to sickbay on my mark.  Stand by."

He knelt down, gently placing his hand on her shoulder.  "No arguments," he said, in a tone of finality.  "Mark," Gabriel commanded, as the pair left the holodeck and re-materialized in sickbay.

"The captain's been injured in training," Gabriel announced, as the bright confines of sickbay appeared around them.  At least he didn't have to lie to his own crew for her actions.

Archangel had opened her mouth to argue back about her need, or lack thereof in her opinion, to go to sickbay. She disliked sickbay intensely, distrusting the doctors and nurses. Unfortunately, she could recognise the expression on Gabriel's face. He wasn't going to be budged on this one, she could tell.

As they dematerialised from the holodeck and reappeared in sickbay, she felt the shame slip back into her soul. She was a captain now. A captain was supposed to be a pinnicle of everything honourable, indestructible, without flaw, but she was none of those things.

She stayed silent even as a medic stepped over to them, directing her to one of the biobeds so that he could start running scans on her injury.
Back to top Go down
Gabriel Arthur
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Technical Precision
Star Cross
1 Year Service
Art Contribution

PostSubject: Re: Search for Better Times   Search for Better Times I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 04, 2014 9:46 am

Archangel T'Koris wrote:
Archangel had opened her mouth to argue back about her need, or lack thereof in her opinion, to go to sickbay.  She disliked sickbay intensely, distrusting the doctors and nurses.  Unfortunately, she could recognise the expression on Gabriel's face.  He wasn't going to be budged on this one, she could tell.

As they dematerialised from the holodeck and reappeared in sickbay, she felt the shame slip back into her soul.  She was a captain now.  A captain was supposed to be a pinnicle of everything honourable, indestructible, without flaw, but she was none of those things.

She stayed silent even as a medic stepped over to them, directing her to one of the biobeds so that he could start running scans on her injury.

[Sickbay]

Gabriel stepped out of the way as the medics began to tend to his wife, quietly observing the scene. To their credit, none of the nurses even batted an eye at the fact that the captain was wearing strange black clothing, or that her first officer was in his pajama pants and a robe. Just another night on the Phoenix.

It felt like a good half dozen emotions were warring inside him. Gabriel didn't know whether he should be furious, disappointed, nauseous...or, perhaps, a combination of everything at once was appropriate. He hoped so, because it was certainly what he was feeling at the moment.

One of the medics was running the dermal regenerator over Archangel's wound, having dressed, cleaned, and healed the tissue damage. Once he finished, Gabriel nodded to the man. "Can we have some space?" he asked, clearing out the corner of Sickbay they were in. Fortunately, things were very quiet at this time of night.
Back to top Go down
Archangel T'Koris
Captain
Captain

1 Year Service
Art Contribution

PostSubject: Re: Search for Better Times   Search for Better Times I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 04, 2014 9:54 am

Gabriel Arthur wrote:

[Sickbay]

Gabriel stepped out of the way as the medics began to tend to his wife, quietly observing the scene.  To their credit, none of the nurses even batted an eye at the fact that the captain was wearing strange black clothing, or that her first officer was in his pajama pants and a robe.  Just another night on the Phoenix.

It felt like a good half dozen emotions were warring inside him.  Gabriel didn't know whether he should be furious, disappointed, nauseous...or, perhaps, a combination of everything at once was appropriate.  He hoped so, because it was certainly what he was feeling at the moment.

One of the medics was running the dermal regenerator over Archangel's wound, having dressed, cleaned, and healed the tissue damage.  Once he finished, Gabriel nodded to the man.  "Can we have some space?" he asked, clearing out the corner of Sickbay they were in.  Fortunately, things were very quiet at this time of night.

As usual, Archangel didn't utter a word as the medics tended to the wound, only the occasional twitch letting on that the healing wasn't entirely without pain or discomfort. When the ugly burn was once again smooth, pale bronze skin, she ran a hand over it, checking it. No one said a word, but that was normal for the moment. The crew was still very new to each other. 'Normality' still had to be established.

Hearing Gabriel's quiet voice asking for space, she looked up to see the medic leaving with some speed, apparently reading in his first officer's voice that now was not a time to linger. She looked down at the teal surface of the biobed, her hand still absentmindedly rubbing where the burn wound had been. The residual pain was still there, and likely would be for a couple of days. No, she was more worried about what Gabriel wanted space to say. Whatever it was, it wasn't likely to be good.
Back to top Go down
Gabriel Arthur
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Technical Precision
Star Cross
1 Year Service
Art Contribution

PostSubject: Re: Search for Better Times   Search for Better Times I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 04, 2014 11:10 am

Archangel T'Koris wrote:
As usual, Archangel didn't utter a word as the medics tended to the wound, only the occasional twitch letting on that the healing wasn't entirely without pain or discomfort.  When the ugly burn was once again smooth, pale bronze skin, she ran a hand over it, checking it.  No one said a word, but that was normal for the moment.  The crew was still very new to each other.  'Normality' still had to be established.

Hearing Gabriel's quiet voice asking for space, she looked up to see the medic leaving with some speed, apparently reading in his first officer's voice that now was not a time to linger.  She looked down at the teal surface of the biobed, her hand still absentmindedly rubbing where the burn wound had been.  The residual pain was still there, and likely would be for a couple of days.  No, she was more worried about what Gabriel wanted space to say.  Whatever it was, it wasn't likely to be good.

Gabe nodded to the nursing tech as he left the pair alone, his eyes following the man as he left. Gabriel then looked around the bay, and then to his wife. He crossed the room, leaning against the duranium wall. There was nothing left to do but get to the point at hand, but it was the last thing in the universe he wanted to confront. However...it had to be done.

He was silent for a long while, raking his hands through his hair. A part of him even wondered if there was anything left to say. Back during the spore incident, her instinct had been to leave everything behind - her ship, him, the girls, everything - and wear that black uniform. Now, here she was again, slipping off in the night, wearing it again.

Sighing, Gabriel leaned against the edge of her biobed. For someone who hated Sickbay so much, she sure seemed to like to put herself in situations that required it. "Arch...this...this can't continue." He looked at his wife, into her eyes. He saw shame, there...and pain. "Who are you?"
Back to top Go down
Archangel T'Koris
Captain
Captain

1 Year Service
Art Contribution

PostSubject: Re: Search for Better Times   Search for Better Times I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 04, 2014 11:30 am

Gabriel Arthur wrote:

Gabe nodded to the nursing tech as he left the pair alone, his eyes following the man as he left.  Gabriel then looked around the bay, and then to his wife.  He crossed the room, leaning against the duranium wall.  There was nothing left to do but get to the point at hand, but it was the last thing in the universe he wanted to confront.  However...it had to be done.

He was silent for a long while, raking his hands through his hair.  A part of him even wondered if there was anything left to say.  Back during the spore incident, her instinct had been to leave everything behind - her ship, him, the girls, everything - and wear that black uniform.  Now, here she was again, slipping off in the night, wearing it again.  

Sighing, Gabriel leaned against the edge of her biobed.  For someone who hated Sickbay so much, she sure seemed to like to put herself in situations that required it.  "Arch...this...this can't continue."  He looked at his wife, into her eyes.  He saw shame, there...and pain.  "Who are you?"

Archangel immediately regretted looking up at Gabriel, seeing the emotions running across his face, flashing in his eyes. She hated being the cause of them. She hated that she couldn't stop them, make them better. He deserved so much more than what she was giving him, that was for sure.

She looked down at her hand, still absentmindedly rubbing the sting in her leg. Who was she? She didn't even know the answer to that any more. She was Angel, mummy, Captain T'Koris, Nemesis and Dhael. So many names, each with their own demands on who she was supposed to be.

"I don't know anymore," she said softly. "I don't know who I'm supposed to be."
Back to top Go down
Gabriel Arthur
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Technical Precision
Star Cross
1 Year Service
Art Contribution

PostSubject: Re: Search for Better Times   Search for Better Times I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 04, 2014 11:40 am

Archangel T'Koris wrote:

Archangel immediately regretted looking up at Gabriel, seeing the emotions running across his face, flashing in his eyes.  She hated being the cause of them.  She hated that she couldn't stop them, make them better.  He deserved so much more than what she was giving him, that was for sure.

She looked down at her hand, still absentmindedly rubbing the sting in her leg.  Who was she?  She didn't even know the answer to that any more.  She was Angel, mummy, Captain T'Koris, Nemesis and Dhael.  So many names, each with their own demands on who she was supposed to be.

"I don't know anymore," she said softly.  "I don't know who I'm supposed to be."

Closing his eyes, Gabriel drew a breath and sighed, deeply and heavily, one that started somewhere down in his toes. "You'd best figure it out, and quick," he said, with a bit more heat than he should. Gabriel knew that he was tired...and not just in the physical way. Even though sleep was a valuable commodity on board a starship, especially for the command team.

Reaching over, Gabriel gently placed his hand over hers. He hoped that his soft smile would take some of the sting out of his reproach. "Arch...one thing is for certain - you'd best be prepared to be the captain of this vessel first. We've got damn near 800 souls riding on the outcome of that question." Starfleet was taking a huge enough gamble as it was, placing a married couple as captain and first officer.
Back to top Go down
Archangel T'Koris
Captain
Captain

1 Year Service
Art Contribution

PostSubject: Re: Search for Better Times   Search for Better Times I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 04, 2014 11:57 am

Gabriel Arthur wrote:

Closing his eyes, Gabriel drew a breath and sighed, deeply and heavily, one that started somewhere down in his toes.  "You'd best figure it out, and quick," he said, with a bit more heat than he should.  Gabriel knew that he was tired...and not just in the physical way.  Even though sleep was a valuable commodity on board a starship, especially for the command team.

Reaching over, Gabriel gently placed his hand over hers.  He hoped that his soft smile would take some of the sting out of his reproach.  "Arch...one thing is for certain - you'd best be prepared to be the captain of this vessel first.  We've got damn near 800 souls riding on the outcome of that question."  Starfleet was taking a huge enough gamble as it was, placing a married couple as captain and first officer.

Archangel flinched at the force behind Gabriel's words. He never raised his voice at her, or at least generally did so with good reason. She felt tears of frustration starting to build up again, but forced them back, closing her eyes and turning her head away from him. He was just like all the others, demanding that she act as he saw fit...

No, she couldn't let herself think that. He was doing his duty as First Officer, ensuring that his commanding officer was fit to command her starship without emotional interference.

Her hands clenched into fists. "Oh, it's easy to say that, isn't it? Easy to say that I have to put being the captain first, that that's what the crew needs me to do. And Starfleet needs me to be both a captain and their pawn in dealings with Romulus. The Praetor wants me back on Romulus at his side. Other people need me to be their pawn in their games of Intelligence. And alongside all that, I need to be a mother to my girls and a wife to you, and I can't do everything!"
Back to top Go down
Gabriel Arthur
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Technical Precision
Star Cross
1 Year Service
Art Contribution

PostSubject: Re: Search for Better Times   Search for Better Times I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 04, 2014 2:11 pm

Archangel T'Koris wrote:

Archangel flinched at the force behind Gabriel's words.  He never raised his voice at her, or at least generally did so with good reason.  She felt tears of frustration starting to build up again, but forced them back, closing her eyes and turning her head away from him.  He was just like all the others, demanding that she act as he saw fit...

No, she couldn't let herself think that.  He was doing his duty as First Officer, ensuring that his commanding officer was fit to command her starship without emotional interference.

Her hands clenched into fists.  "Oh, it's easy to say that, isn't it?  Easy to say that I have to put being the captain first, that that's what the crew needs me to do.  And Starfleet needs me to be both a captain and their pawn in dealings with Romulus.  The Praetor wants me back on Romulus at his side.  Other people need me to be their pawn in their games of Intelligence.  And alongside all that, I need to be a mother to my girls and a wife to you, and I can't do everything!"

"No," Gabriel said, after a few moments of silence had passed since her outburst. "You cannot do everything, Archangel. I don't think that's what everyone is asking of you. But...I think that's what you're expecting of yourself." It suddenly occurred to him that this was no place at all for a conversation like this. Moving over toward the CMO's office, Gabriel was glad to see it unoccupied. Granted, it was late at night, but...one never knew what kind of hours Zero kept. Or if the kid even slept.

He leaned against the edge of Alpha's desk, waiting for Archangel to follow him in, letting the door seal behind them. There would already be enough gossip tearing through the ship about this night as is. It certainly didn't need their help in spreading.

"You can't do everything," he repeated, nodding. "So. What then, is it, that gets cut out? What doesn't make the grade, Arch?" He knew his tone was accusatory, but there was still a lot of pain, a lot of disappointment, there from when she'd tried to flee their life.
Back to top Go down
Archangel T'Koris
Captain
Captain

1 Year Service
Art Contribution

PostSubject: Re: Search for Better Times   Search for Better Times I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 04, 2014 2:25 pm

Gabriel Arthur wrote:

"No," Gabriel said, after a few moments of silence had passed since her outburst.  "You cannot do everything, Archangel.  I don't think that's what everyone is asking of you.  But...I think that's what you're expecting of yourself."  It suddenly occurred to him that this was no place at all for a conversation like this.  Moving over toward the CMO's office, Gabriel was glad to see it unoccupied.  Granted, it was late at night, but...one never knew what kind of hours Zero kept.  Or if the kid even slept.

He leaned against the edge of Alpha's desk, waiting for Archangel to follow him in, letting the door seal behind them.  There would already be enough gossip tearing through the ship about this night as is.  It certainly didn't need their help in spreading.

"You can't do everything," he repeated, nodding.  "So.  What then, is it, that gets cut out?  What doesn't make the grade, Arch?"  He knew his tone was accusatory, but there was still a lot of pain, a lot of disappointment, there from when she'd tried to flee their life.  

Archangel did, indeed, follow him.  She was obviously not happy about it, but she complied, with the same feeling as a pupil caught passing notes in class being sent to the principal's office.  That in itself was a strange thought since, technically, she was supposed to be the one in charge.  Just before she stepped into the CMO's office, however, she noticed a black-clad figure half hidden in shadow, smirking at her.

Gabriel's voice cut into her with more force than the plasma shot that had landed her in this situation.  She started to pace the width of the office, the limp in her right leg, a legacy from Jarris, still apparent if you knew that it was there.  She pulled the tie from her hair, letting it loose from its tight knot.

"What would you have me give up?" she shot back at her husband.  "There is nothing I can give up!  Section 31 have made it very clear that no one leaves their damnable ranks, and they like the fact that I'm captain of a starship now.  If I try to resign my commission, Starfleet will try to put me in the ambassadorial ranks, Alidar will insist that I return to Romulus, and Section 31 will bring me back in for a little refresher course in why operatives don't disobey orders.  Divorce doesn't exist in Romulan culture and even if I could, that would only lead to a breakdown of diplomatic relations between the Federation and the Star Empire.  The only things that I could give up are things that I won't because it's unthinkable!"  

She didn't think it was necessary to include that the things that weren't tied into so many other organisations were her marriage to the man currently watching her and the two girls sleeping in their quarters.  The limp was starting to become a little more pronounced as she wrenched it with each turn at the bulkheads that delineated the CMO's office.
Back to top Go down
Gabriel Arthur
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Technical Precision
Star Cross
1 Year Service
Art Contribution

PostSubject: Re: Search for Better Times   Search for Better Times I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 04, 2014 3:04 pm

Archangel T'Koris wrote:
Archangel did, indeed, follow him.  She was obviously not happy about it, but she complied, with the same feeling as a pupil caught passing notes in class being sent to the principal's office.  That in itself was a strange thought since, technically, she was supposed to be the one in charge.  Just before she stepped into the CMO's office, however, she noticed a black-clad figure half hidden in shadow, smirking at her.

Gabriel's voice cut into her with more force than the plasma shot that had landed her in this situation.  She started to pace the width of the office, the limp in her right leg, a legacy from Jarris, still apparent if you knew that it was there.  She pulled the tie from her hair, letting it loose from its tight knot.

"What would you have me give up?" she shot back at her husband.  "There is nothing I can give up!  Section 31 have made it very clear that no one leaves their damnable ranks, and they like the fact that I'm captain of a starship now.  If I try to resign my commission, Starfleet will try to put me in the ambassadorial ranks, Alidar will insist that I return to Romulus, and Section 31 will bring me back in for a little refresher course in why operatives don't disobey orders.  Divorce doesn't exist in Romulan culture and even if I could, that would only lead to a breakdown of diplomatic relations between the Federation and the Star Empire.  The only things that I could give up are things that I won't because it's unthinkable!"  

She didn't think it was necessary to include that the things that weren't tied into so many other organisations were her marriage to the man currently watching her and the two girls sleeping in their quarters.  The limp was starting to become a little more pronounced as she wrenched it with each turn at the bulkheads that delineated the CMO's office.

Unthinkable.

And yet, here we are...thinking it. Gabriel stared intently at the floor, knowing that he was being cowardly by not looking at her. And so he did, slowly raising his head and watching his wife as she seemed to want to pace a hole in the ground.

He stood from where he'd been leaning on the desk, approaching his wife and wrapping her in his arms. Gabriel knew that it was only a simple gesture, one that couldn't actually protect her from anything. But it made him feel better, and he liked to imagine that it made her feel the same, too. "I know, Angel," he said, voice quiet against her ear as he held her. "I'm sorry. We do this one step, one day at a time. But...it's not just us, anymore. Not even just us and the girls. It's...everyone. Officers, crew, civilians...all their lives are counting on us."

Gabriel kissed her forehead, still holding her close. "I'm just tired, Arch. I feel...exhausted. And we haven't even begun this damned trip."
Back to top Go down
Archangel T'Koris
Captain
Captain

1 Year Service
Art Contribution

PostSubject: Re: Search for Better Times   Search for Better Times I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 04, 2014 3:16 pm

Gabriel Arthur wrote:

Unthinkable.

And yet, here we are...thinking it.  Gabriel stared intently at the floor, knowing that he was being cowardly by not looking at her.  And so he did, slowly raising his head and watching his wife as she seemed to want to pace a hole in the ground.  

He stood from where he'd been leaning on the desk, approaching his wife and wrapping her in his arms.  Gabriel knew that it was only a simple gesture, one that couldn't actually protect her from anything.  But it made him feel better, and he liked to imagine that it made her feel the same, too.  "I know, Angel," he said, voice quiet against her ear as he held her.  "I'm sorry.  We do this one step, one day at a time.  But...it's not just us, anymore.  Not even just us and the girls.  It's...everyone.  Officers, crew, civilians...all their lives are counting on us."

Gabriel kissed her forehead, still holding her close.  "I'm just tired, Arch.  I feel...exhausted.  And we haven't even begun this damned trip."

Finding her pacing suddenly interrupted by Gabriel's arms around her, Archangel automatically relaxed, her forehead against his shoulder.

"I know," she murmured, trying hard not to cry. "I know I can't fail them, not like I failed them with Jarris." She pulled back slightly, lifting her hands to rest her palms against his cheeks, touching her forehead to his in their characteristic manner. "We should get back to our quarters and get some sleep."

As she uttered those words, however, she felt the distinctive touch of a transporter beam taking hold of them and the familiar surroundings of the CMO's office vanished.

Their new surroundings were dark. Dark and grey. That was about all you could say about them as there was no furniture to speak of and no obvious door either. The sound of a lone person applauding rang around the empty room. A black clad human stepped out from one of the shadows.

"I have to admit that I am not one for romance, but that was rather touching."
Back to top Go down
Gabriel Arthur
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Technical Precision
Star Cross
1 Year Service
Art Contribution

PostSubject: Re: Search for Better Times   Search for Better Times I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 04, 2014 3:36 pm

Archangel T'Koris wrote:

Finding her pacing suddenly interrupted by Gabriel's arms around her, Archangel automatically relaxed, her forehead against his shoulder.  

"I know," she murmured, trying hard not to cry.  "I know I can't fail them, not like I failed them with Jarris."  She pulled back slightly, lifting her hands to rest her palms against his cheeks, touching her forehead to his in their characteristic manner.  "We should get back to our quarters and get some sleep."

As she uttered those words, however, she felt the distinctive touch of a transporter beam taking hold of them and the familiar surroundings of the CMO's office vanished.

Their new surroundings were dark.  Dark and grey.  That was about all you could say about them as there was no furniture to speak of and no obvious door either.  The sound of a lone person applauding rang around the empty room.  A black clad human stepped out from one of the shadows.

"I have to admit that I am not one for romance, but that was rather touching."

Despite it all, Gabriel had to smile as her forehead touched his. It was one of his favorite things that they did together. Well, other than the obvious.

"Sleep sounds like an excellent idea, e'lev," he murmured, stepping away from her. The first indication he had that something was wrong was the look in her eyes, a slight widening of recognition, and then the world dissolved around them as he realized they were being transported. "The --" he started, his words eaten by the matter stream.

[Elsewhere...]

"--hell?" he finished, instinctively reaching for a phaser that wasn't there. Neither was his combadge. Or most of his clothing, for that matter. Gabriel instinctively crouched into a protective posture, putting himself between Archangel and the strange man. She was a better fighter than he was, but...he was no slouch, either. "I'll touch my foot to your ass," he snarled. "Explain yourself!"
Back to top Go down
Archangel T'Koris
Captain
Captain

1 Year Service
Art Contribution

PostSubject: Re: Search for Better Times   Search for Better Times I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 04, 2014 3:48 pm

Gabriel Arthur wrote:

Despite it all, Gabriel had to smile as her forehead touched his.  It was one of his favorite things that they did together.  Well, other than the obvious.  

"Sleep sounds like an excellent idea, e'lev," he murmured, stepping away from her.  The first indication he had that something was wrong was the look in her eyes, a slight widening of recognition, and then the world dissolved around them as he realized they were being transported.  "The --" he started, his words eaten by the matter stream.

[Elsewhere...]

"--hell?" he finished, instinctively reaching for a phaser that wasn't there.  Neither was his combadge.  Or most of his clothing, for that matter.  Gabriel instinctively crouched into a protective posture, putting himself between Archangel and the strange man.  She was a better fighter than he was, but...he was no slouch, either.  "I'll touch my foot to your ass," he snarled.  "Explain yourself!"

The human smiled in a humourless manner as he watched Gabriel's actions. It was always fascinating, seeing the lengths that some people will go to in order to appear more threatening than they actually were. It would certainly prove to be an interesting conversation.

His eyes fell on the Romulan standing quietly behind her husband. She was watching him carefully, evaluating his threat level in that manner he knew very well.

"To me, captain," he spoke softly. She tensed, but didn't move. That was irritating, to say the least. The next word he said was laced with deadly promise as to what would happen if she disobeyed his orders a second time. "Nemesis..."

Archangel dropped her head, looking off to the side as she moved to stand next to the man who wore an identical uniform to hers, even though she looked distinctly unhappy about it. The human then turned his attention back to Gabriel.

"There is no need for threats at this time, Mr Arthur," he said smoothly. "You just happen to have been an irritant that we need to... deal with."
Back to top Go down
Gabriel Arthur
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Technical Precision
Star Cross
1 Year Service
Art Contribution

PostSubject: Re: Search for Better Times   Search for Better Times I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 04, 2014 4:24 pm

Archangel T'Koris wrote:
The human smiled in a humourless manner as he watched Gabriel's actions.  It was always fascinating, seeing the lengths that some people will go to in order to appear more threatening than they actually were.  It would certainly prove to be an interesting conversation.  

His eyes fell on the Romulan standing quietly behind her husband.  She was watching him carefully, evaluating his threat level in that manner he knew very well.  

"To me, captain," he spoke softly.  She tensed, but didn't move.  That was irritating, to say the least.  The next word he said was laced with deadly promise as to what would happen if she disobeyed his orders a second time.  "Nemesis..."  

Archangel dropped her head, looking off to the side as she moved to stand next to the man who wore an identical uniform to hers, even though she looked distinctly unhappy about it.  The human then turned his attention back to Gabriel.

"There is no need for threats at this time, Mr Arthur," he said smoothly.  "You just happen to have been an irritant that we need to... deal with."

"And yet, you haven't dealt with me as of yet, have you? You could at any time. Why wait? Why hesitate?" Gabe knew that he was being defiant for the sake of defiance, but...seeing this smug bastard, and having to witness his wife turned into the machine-like killer known as Nemesis...well. It had him feeling a little reckless. "She's still my wife. She's still Archangel. No matter what you people do."

He moved closer to the pair. "And you...you haven't answered my question. Who are you? Do you work for Sovereign?" Just saying that filth's name turned Gabriel's stomach, but he had to keep this man talking. If the opportunity presented itself...he'd try to choke him out. Can you kill him? he asked himself. Yes...I certainly think I am capable.
Back to top Go down
Archangel T'Koris
Captain
Captain

1 Year Service
Art Contribution

PostSubject: Re: Search for Better Times   Search for Better Times I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 04, 2014 4:35 pm

Gabriel Arthur wrote:

"And yet, you haven't dealt with me as of yet, have you?  You could at any time.  Why wait?  Why hesitate?"  Gabe knew that he was being defiant for the sake of defiance, but...seeing this smug bastard, and having to witness his wife turned into the machine-like killer known as Nemesis...well.  It had him feeling a little reckless.  "She's still my wife.  She's still Archangel.  No matter what you people do."

He moved closer to the pair.  "And you...you haven't answered my question.  Who are you?  Do you work for Sovereign?"  Just saying that filth's name turned Gabriel's stomach, but he had to keep this man talking.  If the opportunity presented itself...he'd try to choke him out.  Can you kill him? he asked himself.  Yes...I certainly think I am capable.

The man seemed to smile again, even though the expression didn't reach his eyes. Gabriel was obviously going to be a lot of fun if he was this defiant. "You think that our operative is still your beloved Archangel when we decide that she has work to do?" He looked at the Romulan, who was still stubbornly staring at the ground. She flinched as he placed a hand on her shoulder, pulling away as he whispered into her ear. She shivered slightly, but the expression that settled onto her face was definitely the emotionless look of Nemesis, not the softer expression of Archangel. The man turned back to Gabriel.

"Who am I? I'm the man who has complete control over your wife," he said evenly. "I am Sovereign's temporary replacement while he's... away. Someone has to keep an eye on the wild card in our ranks." The smile returned. "You may call me Ikelos."
Back to top Go down
Gabriel Arthur
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Technical Precision
Star Cross
1 Year Service
Art Contribution

PostSubject: Re: Search for Better Times   Search for Better Times I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 04, 2014 5:00 pm

Archangel T'Koris wrote:
The man seemed to smile again, even though the expression didn't reach his eyes.  Gabriel was obviously going to be a lot of fun if he was this defiant.  "You think that our operative is still your beloved Archangel when we decide that she has work to do?"  He looked at the Romulan, who was still stubbornly staring at the ground.  She flinched as he placed a hand on her shoulder, pulling away as he whispered into her ear.  She shivered slightly, but the expression that settled onto her face was definitely the emotionless look of Nemesis, not the softer expression of Archangel.  The man turned back to Gabriel.

"Who am I?  I'm the man who has complete control over your wife," he said evenly.  "I am Sovereign's temporary replacement while he's... away.  Someone has to keep an eye on the wild card in our ranks."  The smile returned.  "You may call me Ikelos."

"I'm surprised you didn't arrange for a thunderclap to accompany your name," Gabriel said, crossing his arms, his eyes never leaving Archangel's cold face. He refused to think of her as Nemesis, even in the face of reality. "Ikelos. The dream. The prophet. Quite grandiose. That's in keeping with you people, though," he said, shrugging a shoulder. "I'm Centauran, I know these words. But...I guess you knew that, didn't you?" Gabriel also knew that he was skirting on the edge, but what else was there to do? Beg? Not hardly.
Back to top Go down
Archangel T'Koris
Captain
Captain

1 Year Service
Art Contribution

PostSubject: Re: Search for Better Times   Search for Better Times I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 04, 2014 5:12 pm

Gabriel Arthur wrote:

"I'm surprised you didn't arrange for a thunderclap to accompany your name," Gabriel said, crossing his arms, his eyes never leaving Archangel's cold face.  He refused to think of her as Nemesis, even in the face of reality.  "Ikelos.  The dream.  The prophet.  Quite grandiose.  That's in keeping with you people, though," he said, shrugging a shoulder.  "I'm Centauran, I know these words.  But...I guess you knew that, didn't you?"  Gabriel also knew that he was skirting on the edge, but what else was there to do?  Beg?  Not hardly.  

There was no change in expression on Ikelos' face as Gabriel seemed to be trying to test his limits. Unfortunately, Starfleet Intelligence took a dim view to Section 31 killing off their operatives. Such a shame. Getting this human out of the way would have made things so much easier.

"Yes, Mr Arthur. We have been following you quite closely. You see, you are starting to irritate us, placing thoughts in Nemesis' head that she can try to 'quit' the service. Not a good move. You put her in even more danger then since we have to undo that damage. Such repairs can be... messy." The smile was accompanied by a glint in Ikelos' eye as he mentioned undoing the damage and as he continued. "While it gives us good practise and reinforcing certain lessons is always of beneficial use, it gets somewhat tiresome.

"Which is why we come to you, Mr Arthur. You have her ear at all times. I'm sure we can put that to good use."
Back to top Go down
Gabriel Arthur
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Technical Precision
Star Cross
1 Year Service
Art Contribution

PostSubject: Re: Search for Better Times   Search for Better Times I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 04, 2014 5:51 pm

Archangel T'Koris wrote:

There was no change in expression on Ikelos' face as Gabriel seemed to be trying to test his limits.  Unfortunately, Starfleet Intelligence took a dim view to Section 31 killing off their operatives.  Such a shame.  Getting this human out of the way would have made things so much easier.

"Yes, Mr Arthur.  We have been following you quite closely.  You see, you are starting to irritate us, placing thoughts in Nemesis' head that she can try to 'quit' the service.  Not a good move.  You put her in even more danger then since we have to undo that damage.  Such repairs can be... messy."  The smile was accompanied by a glint in Ikelos' eye as he mentioned undoing the damage and as he continued.  "While it gives us good practise and reinforcing certain lessons is always of beneficial use, it gets somewhat tiresome.  

"Which is why we come to you, Mr Arthur.  You have her ear at all times.  I'm sure we can put that to good use."

He certainly didn't like the sound of all this talk about messy repairs, but Gabriel kept his mouth shut. Was it a veiled threat to the girls? Probably. Then again, he wasn't sure why the man didn't just spell things out. It wasn't like it was a time for delicacy, anyway...

"Sorry for being an irritant," he said, crossing his arms. "I was voted 'most likely to piss off jackbooted crypto-fascists' in high school." Sighing, Gabriel ran a hand through his hair. "We can talk, though. We might as well...what else are we doing?" He moved a little closer to the agent, and the automaton that used to be his wife. No! he thought, she still is. She always will be. "And what is it you'd like me to put to use?"
Back to top Go down
Archangel T'Koris
Captain
Captain

1 Year Service
Art Contribution

PostSubject: Re: Search for Better Times   Search for Better Times I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 04, 2014 6:04 pm

Gabriel Arthur wrote:

"Which is why we come to you, Mr Arthur.  You have her ear at all times.  I'm sure we can put that to good use."

He certainly didn't like the sound of all this talk about messy repairs, but Gabriel kept his mouth shut.  Was it a veiled threat to the girls?  Probably.  Then again, he wasn't sure why the man didn't just spell things out.  It wasn't like it was a time for delicacy, anyway...

"Sorry for being an irritant," he said, crossing his arms.  "I was voted 'most likely to piss off jackbooted crypto-fascists' in high school."  Sighing, Gabriel ran a hand through his hair.  "We can talk, though.  We might as well...what else are we doing?"  He moved a little closer to the agent, and the automaton that used to be his wife.  No! he thought, she still is.  She always will be.  "And what is it you'd like me to put to use?"[/quote]

"It's very simple, Mr Arthur, we want you to talk her round to our point of view," Ikelos purred. "Make her see that we're all working on the same side. It saves us a lot of trouble and cleaning up." He smiled at Gabriel, waiting to see what his reaction would be.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Search for Better Times   Search for Better Times I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Search for Better Times
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Aurora Fleet :: Aurora Fleet :: USS Phoenix :: Archives :: Holodeck Archives-
Jump to: