Aurora Fleet
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Current Year: 2379

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» *poking the fleet part deux*
In the Bleak Mid-Winter (Open) I_icon_minitimeby Archangel T'Koris Thu Jul 15, 2021 12:57 pm

» Isn't this a fine kettle of fish?
In the Bleak Mid-Winter (Open) I_icon_minitimeby Archangel T'Koris Sat Dec 17, 2016 5:36 am

» *pokes the fleet*
In the Bleak Mid-Winter (Open) I_icon_minitimeby Julia Rellek Sat Nov 12, 2016 12:23 am

» Hrafn is back (sort of)
In the Bleak Mid-Winter (Open) I_icon_minitimeby Archangel T'Koris Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:00 pm

» Merger
In the Bleak Mid-Winter (Open) I_icon_minitimeby Archangel T'Koris Fri May 06, 2016 7:04 pm

» Uninvited Guests [Zero / Leela]
In the Bleak Mid-Winter (Open) I_icon_minitimeby Zero Alpha Wed May 04, 2016 4:50 pm

» Seeing Clearly
In the Bleak Mid-Winter (Open) I_icon_minitimeby Archangel T'Koris Wed May 04, 2016 4:42 pm

» Season 2, Mission 2: Light the Way
In the Bleak Mid-Winter (Open) I_icon_minitimeby Elena Tarunt Tue May 03, 2016 10:37 pm

» FACECLAIMS
In the Bleak Mid-Winter (Open) I_icon_minitimeby Guest Tue May 03, 2016 12:24 pm

» Application:John Brown
In the Bleak Mid-Winter (Open) I_icon_minitimeby Julia Rellek Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:08 am

Affiliates

In the Bleak Mid-Winter (Open)

Go down 
+19
Arlan Opran
Corman Stark
Gabriel Arthur
Conor Terell
Safefta Pardek
Raynor Hughes
Mira
Rachel Deacon
Rama
Zero Alpha
Leela Kaz
Myree Grell
Kintiss
Julia Rellek
Nelkar Epath
Ilana Telak
Kejal Buris
Persephone M'Rai
Archangel T'Koris
23 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
Corman Stark
Rear Admiral Lower Half
Rear Admiral Lower Half

Captain's Recognition
1 Year Service
Completed Plot and Bio Page
Participated in the first mission
Founding Member

In the Bleak Mid-Winter (Open) Empty
PostSubject: In the Bleak Mid-Winter (Open)   In the Bleak Mid-Winter (Open) I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 04, 2015 5:11 pm

[Executive Officer's Ready Room, Starbase Athena]

Admiral Stark leaned his elbow on the desk surface, his face aglow with a cool, off-green color reflected from a computer terminal screen. The arm connected to that same elbow held a small, thick tumbler glass. In that glass was an amber liquid, one which was made to be enjoyed in measured, slow sips. He was doing just that right now, thankful that he'd not yet felt the desire to toss the drink back in gulps. Damn shame to do that to good Kentucky bourbon, but sometimes life called for it. This hadn't been such a day, and the 'day' itself was long dead. Stark told himself that the day being over was a good enough reason to sit in his own office in the dark and drink.

The Phoenix crew had disembarked just an hour or so ago, though a few stragglers were making their way off the ship. Deacon had seen it fit to give T'Koris and her crew a small bit of shore leave at the station, which only made sense considering the stresses that the ship itself had gone though in order to get back to the Alpha Quadrant in one relative piece. Stark himself was just re-reading the Phoenix's reports. The question of warp conduits - if there were any more remaining - was a troubling one.

Even more troubling, however, was the fact that Athena was, once again, to play host to a Christmas gathering. The notion of 'Christmas' itself was an anachronistic throw-back to Old Earth, though the general feeling of good cheer was something that translated across all cultures and species. Now, if only people could bring tidings of comfort and joy without him having to be present.

Stark leaned back in his chair, finishing the tumbler off and glancing at his desk chronometer. Interestingly enough, it was of Klingon make...salvaged from a shuttle crash by his grandfather back during the cold war. Relics... he thought. Indeed, Stark's office was full of them. Including the tired old ass currently occupying this chair. Either way, though, Captain T'Koris still had about fifteen minutes before their arranged meeting time.
Back to top Go down
Archangel T'Koris
Captain
Captain

Starfleet Starfleet Award of Merit Command
1 Year Service
Art Contribution

PostSubject: Re: In the Bleak Mid-Winter (Open)   In the Bleak Mid-Winter (Open) I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 04, 2015 5:32 pm

[Captain's Quarters - USS Phoenix]

Given the disaster that had been their short and unexpected trip through the conduit, Archangel was glad that their next mission was nothing more than sitting back and letting the Starbase personnel carry out repairs while her crew took a little leave on the station and, hopefully, accepted the invitation that had been extended to them all to attend the station's winter festivities.

Growing up, Christmas had never been a big event for the young Romulan, but since she had started a family, it had become so. A tree, albeit replicated, stood in a corner of the living area of her quarters, haphazardly decorated by Seika and Aria while their parents sat back and watched with amusement.

Her daughters were bouncing around, both eager to get to the party on the starbase. Since hearing about it, and its possible visit from Santa, they had been excited and impatient, too much so to even protest the matching jumpers they were wearing. It was hard to think that this time last year, Seika had only just started to walk again without the aid of her crutches. She had come such a long way from the dark days following the crippling injury she had suffered on the Discovery. Archangel lifted a hand to her chest, to the scar that ran across her shoulders, the remnants of the wound she had sustained that same day. It had seemed too easy, wrong even to go to sickbay have the scar tissue removed after the dust had settled. Now, it had become a part of her.

Archangel shook her head, smiling to herself as she watched her hyperactive girls and straightened her uniform jacket, checking in the mirror to make sure that she was presentable before pressing a quick kiss to her husband's lips.

"You go on ahead to the party. I'll meet you there once the meeting with Admiral Stark's over," she promised.

[Starbase Athena]

Standing outside Admiral Stark's office, Archangel took a deep breath, straightening her uniform once again. Under normal circumstances, there was no need to be so nervous over a meeting with a superior officer, but the last time she had been called into such a meeting, it had been to tell her that Stark would be temporarily taking command of her ship. Not exactly a good precedent to set. There was still a dent in the bulkhead outside the Phoenix's briefing room.

She pressed the chime, waiting for the door to slide open before stepping inside and standing to attention.

"You asked to see me, sir?"
Back to top Go down
Persephone M'Rai
Ensign
Ensign

PostSubject: Re: In the Bleak Mid-Winter (Open)   In the Bleak Mid-Winter (Open) I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 04, 2015 5:39 pm

[Starbase Athena - Christmas Party]

Never one to turn down the thought of a party, Persephone had gladly accepted the invitation to attend the Christmas gathering on Starbase Athena. In any case, it got her away from the Phoenix and its rather scary Chief Flight Officer. Christmas wasn't a tradition she was particularly familiar with, not being a celebration shared by Caitians, but the feline species did have winter festivities of their own and she was always open to learning about others.

With it still being a little early to have turned up to the gathering, the young Caitian found that there were few people there. That didn't stop her from padding into the room, looking around for any familiar faces from the Phoenix. Spotting one, she grinned, bounding over to them.

"Hey therrrrre!"
Back to top Go down
Corman Stark
Rear Admiral Lower Half
Rear Admiral Lower Half

Captain's Recognition
1 Year Service
Founding Member

PostSubject: Re: In the Bleak Mid-Winter (Open)   In the Bleak Mid-Winter (Open) I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 04, 2015 6:41 pm

Archangel T'Koris wrote:

Standing outside Admiral Stark's office, Archangel took a deep breath, straightening her uniform once again.  Under normal circumstances, there was no need to be so nervous over a meeting with a superior officer, but the last time she had been called into such a meeting, it had been to tell her that Stark would be temporarily taking command of her ship.  Not exactly a good precedent to set.  There was still a dent in the bulkhead outside the Phoenix's briefing room.

She pressed the chime, waiting for the door to slide open before stepping inside and standing to attention.

"You asked to see me, sir?"

"I did, indeed," Stark replied, remaining in his chair. He cocked an eyebrow, taking in T'Koris with a considering look. "And you don't have to stand like that. I promise I won't give you demerits for not clicking your heels."

He gestured to the chair beside his desk. Corman generally kept two chairs in the office - one to the side of the desk for more casual conversations, and one directly across from him when he desired the obvious psychological advantage a physical barrier created. "Get you anything to drink?"
Back to top Go down
Archangel T'Koris
Captain
Captain

1 Year Service
Art Contribution

PostSubject: Re: In the Bleak Mid-Winter (Open)   In the Bleak Mid-Winter (Open) I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 04, 2015 6:54 pm

Corman Stark wrote:
"I did, indeed," Stark replied, remaining in his chair.  He cocked an eyebrow, taking in T'Koris with a considering look.  "And you don't have to stand like that.  I promise I won't give you demerits for not clicking your heels."

He gestured to the chair beside his desk.  Corman generally kept two chairs in the office - one to the side of the desk for more casual conversations, and one directly across from him when he desired the obvious psychological advantage a physical barrier created.  "Get you anything to drink?"

[Admiral Stark's Office]

It was always a little unnerving to have a superior officer treat you in a friendly manner without telling you exactly why you had been called to their office. At Stark's gentle admonishment, Archangel relaxed her posture slightly from standing to attention, although she did keep her spine stiffly straight as she moved to sit in the chair he had gestured to, noting the position of it in relation to his own chair. An interesting study in how he dealt with those he called to his office.

Her thoughts were disturbed by being asked if she wanted anything to drink and, knowing that it was likely rude to refuse, replied:

"Tea, please?"
Back to top Go down
Corman Stark
Rear Admiral Lower Half
Rear Admiral Lower Half

Captain's Recognition
1 Year Service
Founding Member

PostSubject: Re: In the Bleak Mid-Winter (Open)   In the Bleak Mid-Winter (Open) I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 04, 2015 8:20 pm

Archangel T'Koris wrote:

It was always a little unnerving to have a superior officer treat you in a friendly manner without telling you exactly why you had been called to their office.  At Stark's gentle admonishment, Archangel relaxed her posture slightly from standing to attention, although she did keep her spine stiffly straight as she moved to sit in the chair he had gestured to, noting the position of it in relation to his own chair.  An interesting study in how he dealt with those he called to his office.

Her thoughts were disturbed by being asked if she wanted anything to drink and, knowing that it was likely rude to refuse, replied:

"Tea, please?"

[XO's Office]

Tea, huh? Stark gave a small, knowing smile, reaching for his bottle of bourbon. "Forgot that you're a tee-totaler," he said, pouring himself a little bit more. "My ex-wife was the anthropologist, but I know there are probably thousands of known types of 'tea' in our replicator computer memory. So..." he shrugged, "I'll just let you key your own order in."

He held up the glass tumbler, the ambient light of the room casting through the amber liquid. Speaking of lights... "Computer, lights, one-half." Stark shrugged, looking slightly apologetic. "Sorry. Sometimes I forget that not everyone likes to sit in the dark. So, Captain," he continued. "I assume I'll be seeing you and your family making merry later this evening." It wasn't really a question.
Back to top Go down
Archangel T'Koris
Captain
Captain

1 Year Service
Art Contribution

PostSubject: Re: In the Bleak Mid-Winter (Open)   In the Bleak Mid-Winter (Open) I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 04, 2015 8:33 pm

Corman Stark wrote:
Tea, huh?  Stark gave a small, knowing smile, reaching for his bottle of bourbon.  "Forgot that you're a tee-totaler," he said, pouring himself a little bit more.  "My ex-wife was the anthropologist, but I know there are probably thousands of known types of 'tea' in our replicator computer memory.  So..." he shrugged, "I'll just let you key your own order in."  

He held up the glass tumbler, the ambient light of the room casting through the amber liquid.  Speaking of lights...  "Computer, lights, one-half."  Stark shrugged, looking slightly apologetic.  "Sorry.  Sometimes I forget that not everyone likes to sit in the dark.  So, Captain," he continued.  "I assume I'll be seeing you and your family making merry later this evening."  It wasn't really a question.

[XO's Office]

After getting a cup of tea from the replicator and taking a seat again, Archangel took a sip of the hot liquid as she observed him pouring a drink of his own. She didn't bother to correct him about her avoidance of alcohol being more out of wanting to avoid sickbay when her system rejected the substance rather than out of a choice on her point. There were some things he didn't need to know.

She honestly hadn't been bothered by the absence of lights in the office, but having them brought up to half did make it easier to gauge the Admiral's expression and posture as she tried to determine what his motives for this meeting might be.

The question about her family, while coming out of left field, didn't seem to faze the Romulan. "Of course, sir. I couldn't tell the girls that we wouldn't be going when they found out that there might be a guest appearance from Santa." She then took a sip of her tea before adding: "Will you be there, sir?"
Back to top Go down
Kejal Buris
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Technical Precision

PostSubject: Re: In the Bleak Mid-Winter (Open)   In the Bleak Mid-Winter (Open) I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 04, 2015 11:00 pm

Buris had been rather rudely chucked out of the ship and onto Athena for a few hours. Apparently, the SCE were afraid that just having him onboard would cause the rulebook to fly out a random airlock. But his design had worked flawlessly - and what's more, he could tell them it was a proven design from two decades prior, when he'd rigged it up the first time inside the hull of a "donated" Orion fighter that had been repainted and rechristened a Bajoran Raider - he'd run half the ship out of a Federation Type 8 probe they'd found by sheer luck.

He was staring out a window thinking about that when he heard M'Rai charging towards him. Apparently, the catwoman was desperate for any familiar face, regardless of whether it was friendly or not. He turned and glanced at her. "Ensign M'Rai."

They'd sat side-by-side for a while now, and if anyone had a definite visual lesson as to his discomfort on the Bridge, it would be this woman. And with the Romulan woman suddenly overtaking her, Kejal couldn't help but wonder what the hell she'd be doing. But he kept his own counsel. He'd found there were people he could work with - van Gelder, M'Rai, Rellek. It was the Romulans that he seemed to butt heads with most.
Back to top Go down
Persephone M'Rai
Ensign
Ensign

PostSubject: Re: In the Bleak Mid-Winter (Open)   In the Bleak Mid-Winter (Open) I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 05, 2015 10:48 am

Kejal Buris wrote:
He was staring out a window thinking about that when he heard M'Rai charging towards him.  Apparently, the catwoman was desperate for any familiar face, regardless of whether it was friendly or not.  He turned and glanced at her.  "Ensign M'Rai."

They'd sat side-by-side for a while now, and if anyone had a definite visual lesson as to his discomfort on the Bridge, it would be this woman.  And with the Romulan woman suddenly overtaking her, Kejal couldn't help but wonder what the hell she'd be doing.  But he kept his own counsel.  He'd found there were people he could work with - van Gelder, M'Rai, Rellek.  It was the Romulans that he seemed to butt heads with most.

[Christmas Gathering]

Persephone's ears flicked back briefly as she took in the Bajoran's formal tone of address. She had always thought that these sorts of gatherings were supposed to be informal, or at least that's what she had found at the Academy. Her general good nature couldn't be phased for long and her ears were soon pricked forward again and a smile spread over her face although she was careful not to show too much tooth. Sometimes that seemed to unsettle the other humanoids.

"Burrrris," she replied cheerfully, deliberately using his first name. She had no intention of staying formal that night. After spending so much time tiptoeing around the Chief Pilot, she needed a little time just to let her hair down, and she had a lot of hair to let down. She glanced out of the window, toward the same stars that he seemed to be looking at. "Looking forrrr home?"
Back to top Go down
Ilana Telak
Ensign
Ensign

Purple Heart

PostSubject: Re: In the Bleak Mid-Winter (Open)   In the Bleak Mid-Winter (Open) I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 05, 2015 12:49 pm

[Outside Nelkar Epath's Quarters]

Ilana hesitated, chewing her lip. She was stood outside the quarters of the only other Cardassian on the Phoenix. The computer had told her that he was still in them and she wanted to invite him to come to the station's Christmas gathering rather than staying on his own. Perhaps she was just gravitating to the one other member of her species on the crew, but she didn't want him to think that he was on his own. He seemed to spend more time alone or working than she did and he didn't have a Klingon to barge in and save him from that life.

Thinking of Raynor reminded her that she was due to meet him at the gathering soon and that she needed to get a move on. Pulling on the hem of the green jumper she was wearing to straighten it, she finally pressed the chime.
Back to top Go down
Nelkar Epath
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Purple Heart
Posting Excellence

PostSubject: Re: In the Bleak Mid-Winter (Open)   In the Bleak Mid-Winter (Open) I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 05, 2015 1:35 pm

Ilana Telak wrote:
[Outside Nelkar Epath's Quarters]

Ilana hesitated, chewing her lip.  She was stood outside the quarters of the only other Cardassian on the Phoenix.  The computer had told her that he was still in them and she wanted to invite him to come to the station's Christmas gathering rather than staying on his own.  Perhaps she was just gravitating to the one other member of her species on the crew, but she didn't want him to think that he was on his own.  He seemed to spend more time alone or working than she did and he didn't have a Klingon to barge in and save him from that life.

Thinking of Raynor reminded her that she was due to meet him at the gathering soon and that she needed to get a move on.  Pulling on the hem of the green jumper she was wearing to straighten it, she finally pressed the chime.

[USS Phoenix]

[Quarters]

Though this time of year tended to draw humans into clusters like moths to a flame, Nelkar had found it better of a time to sequester himself away in his quarters while everyone else frolicked off the ship. It was ample opportunity to catch up on the reports he was forever owing the Order, and -though he'd be loathe to admit it- spend some time ruminating over his family and what he'd lost.

In fact, at the door chime he hardly had time to hastily stuff away a few tattered photographs -he had no holophotos of them anymore - back into the sealed box he kept them in to keep them hidden from his aggravating roommate before he answered.

"One moment."

Who could be disturbing him? The cardassian sighed and, with some difficulty, got to his feet. His persistent avoidance of physical therapy appointments hadn't help him get used to the prosthetic leg or the pain and discomfort it caused, but he'd learned to hide it, like everything else.

He was surprised when the door slid open to reveal Ilana Telak, who was wearing something that he assumed was in accordance with whatever this holiday was. His hard expression softened slightly. It was nice to see a familiar face sometimes.

"Telak," he greeted shortly. "What's it that you need?"
Back to top Go down
Ilana Telak
Ensign
Ensign

Purple Heart

PostSubject: Re: In the Bleak Mid-Winter (Open)   In the Bleak Mid-Winter (Open) I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 05, 2015 2:28 pm

Nelkar Epath wrote:
He was surprised when the door slid open to reveal Ilana Telak, who was wearing something that he assumed was in accordance with whatever this holiday was. His hard expression softened slightly. It was nice to see a familiar face sometimes.

"Telak," he greeted shortly. "What's it that you need?"

[Nelkar's Quarters]

Since she had expected him to be grumpy and irritated, Ilana was surprised to see that the hard lines of Nelkar's expression softened slightly when he saw that she was the one on the other side of the door. Nonetheless, she was still nervous about talking to him. The older Cardassian had a very authoritative presence whether or not he was aware of it. It screamed military and command even thought he wasn't far above her in rank.

"I-I c-c-came t-t-to s-s-see if y-you w-w-were g-g-going t-to th-th-the g-g-gathering on th-the S-Starbase," she stammered, looking at his boots rather than his face. "M-m-most of th-th-the c-c-crew is, and I've h-h-h-heard th-that th-there's r-r-real K-Kanar th-there."
Back to top Go down
Julia Rellek
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Star Cross
1 Year Service

PostSubject: Re: In the Bleak Mid-Winter (Open)   In the Bleak Mid-Winter (Open) I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 05, 2015 4:31 pm

Persephone M'Rai wrote:

[Christmas Gathering]

Persephone's ears flicked back briefly as she took in the Bajoran's formal tone of address.  She had always thought that these sorts of gatherings were supposed to be informal, or at least that's what she had found at the Academy.  Her general good nature couldn't be phased for long and her ears were soon pricked forward again and a smile spread over her face although she was careful not to show too much tooth.  Sometimes that seemed to unsettle the other humanoids.

"Burrrris," she replied cheerfully, deliberately using his first name.  She had no intention of staying formal that night.  After spending so much time tiptoeing around the Chief Pilot, she needed a little time just to let her hair down, and she had a lot of hair to let down.  She glanced out of the window, toward the same stars that he seemed to be looking at.  "Looking forrrr home?"

[Christmas Gathering]

Julia walked into the room clutching her coffee in her left hand. With a slight survey of the room she realized that only a couple of others had arrived. She noticed Kejal and Persephone gazing into the field of stars viewable through the window in the room. Her eyes immediately lit up. She had always had a fondness for Persephone. She was bright and fun-loving. Julia was certainly bright, but she lacked the Persephone's ability to let go and have a good time. At least, she couldn't do it with her flair.

"Seph!" Julia said across the room. She was hoping an informal gathering would allow her to get to know her better, all of them better.
Back to top Go down
Kintiss
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

First Officer's Recognition
Starfleet Starfleet Award of Merit Sciences

PostSubject: Re: In the Bleak Mid-Winter (Open)   In the Bleak Mid-Winter (Open) I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 05, 2015 5:45 pm

[The Party]

To Kintiss, the concept of winter itself was alien, let alone celebrating it. He came from a very hot planet with no real cold season (just varying degrees of heat), and the cold didn't exactly agree with him. Still, there was an atmosphere of good cheer and friendliness that was probably more infectious than the Phage.

Normally, he wasn't one for parties. He didn't have much else to do, so he thought he might enjoy the party for a while at least. That, and he'd heard that there would be plenty of alcohol. Surely, this would be the perfect opportunity to show off the iron livers of the Selay. He was topped up on caffeine for the moment. Time to get drunk and loosen up. If there were snacks of some kind, then the party would certainly be one to remember.
Back to top Go down
http://mellowgadget.blogspot.com
Kejal Buris
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Technical Precision

PostSubject: Re: In the Bleak Mid-Winter (Open)   In the Bleak Mid-Winter (Open) I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 05, 2015 6:45 pm

[Christmas Gathering]

Persephone M'Rai wrote:

"Burrrris," she replied cheerfully, deliberately using his first name.  She had no intention of staying formal that night.  After spending so much time tiptoeing around the Chief Pilot, she needed a little time just to let her hair down, and she had a lot of hair to let down.  She glanced out of the window, toward the same stars that he seemed to be looking at.  "Looking forrrr home?"

Buris shook his head at her question, then looked at her when he realized that she'd used his personal name. He barely knew hers, so he didn't respond in kind. "No. For better or worse, as far as I'm concerned, home is the ship we just disembarked. I'm just thinking about where things are going here, that's all. That, and how I'm going to dodge the SCE this time. I know that Chief Callan and the Captain are going to send them my way - and I dealt with them every week on my previous assignment, I certainly don't need it here. Too much paperwork, too much frustration."

He glanced at the feline woman and decided to be 'nice'. "I've missed seeing you on the Bridge. Have you been pulling a different shift up there?"

And that was when the XO walked up. He stiffened again and gave her a silent nod in greeting, but he figured he'd let the two women talk in peace, going back to looking out at the stars.

He was debating on going and getting a drink, as he'd overheard something about having liquor with real alcohol, not the usual syntheholic stuff. But alcohol and he got along a little too well, and he didn't need to get maudlin around these people.
Back to top Go down
Persephone M'Rai
Ensign
Ensign

PostSubject: Re: In the Bleak Mid-Winter (Open)   In the Bleak Mid-Winter (Open) I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 05, 2015 6:56 pm

Kejal Buris wrote:
Buris shook his head at her question, then looked at her when he realized that she'd used his personal name. He barely knew hers, so he didn't respond in kind. "No. For better or worse, as far as I'm concerned, home is the ship we just disembarked. I'm just thinking about where things are going here, that's all. That, and how I'm going to dodge the SCE this time. I know that Chief Callan and the Captain are going to send them my way - and I dealt with them every week on my previous assignment, I certainly don't need it here. Too much paperwork, too much frustration."

He glanced at the feline woman and decided to be 'nice'. "I've missed seeing you on the Bridge. Have you been pulling a different shift up there?"

And that was when the XO walked up. He stiffened again and gave her a silent nod in greeting, but he figured he'd let the two women talk in peace, going back to looking out at the stars.

He was debating on going and getting a drink, as he'd overheard something about having liquor with real alcohol, not the usual syntheholic stuff. But alcohol and he got along a little too well, and he didn't need to get maudlin around these people.

[Christmas Gathering]

Persephone tilted her head to one side as she listened to the operations officer, sensing that there was more to the story than he had just told her and curiosity was a rather large Achilles heel in her species. Before she could ask further, he turned the questions back on her, prompting her to roll her eyes.

"The Chief Flight Officerrrr's got me down in the shuttle bays most shifts," she replied with an indifferent shrug of her shoulder. "I think I might have said something, but I'm due to get back on the brrridge next time we do a shift rrrrotation."

Julia Rellek wrote:
Julia walked into the room clutching her coffee in her left hand. With a slight survey of the room she realized that only a couple of others had arrived. She noticed Kejal and Persephone gazing into the field of stars viewable through the window in the room. Her eyes immediately lit up. She had always had a fondness for Persephone. She was bright and fun-loving. Julia was certainly bright, but she lacked the Persephone's ability to let go and have a good time. At least, she couldn't do it with her flair.

"Seph!" Julia said across the room. She was hoping an informal gathering would allow her to get to know her better, all of them better.

Her expression light up at the sight of the ship's first officer making her way toward them. While on duty they had to respect the decorum of the chain of command, Persephone did enjoy spending time with the coffee-loving woman off duty when they got the chance.

"Making up for lost time?" she teased, nodding to the cup of coffee in Julia's hand. "I was just about to rrrreassure Burrris herrre that the Captain and Chief Engineerrrr werrrren't about to thrrrow him to the wolves overrrr his rrrepairrrs to the sensorrrs."
Back to top Go down
Nelkar Epath
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Purple Heart
Posting Excellence

PostSubject: Re: In the Bleak Mid-Winter (Open)   In the Bleak Mid-Winter (Open) I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 05, 2015 7:34 pm

Ilana Telak wrote:

[Nelkar's Quarters]

Since she had expected him to be grumpy and irritated, Ilana was surprised to see that the hard lines of Nelkar's expression softened slightly when he saw that she was the one on the other side of the door.  Nonetheless, she was still nervous about talking to him.  The older Cardassian had a very authoritative presence whether or not he was aware of it.  It screamed military and command even thought he wasn't far above her in rank.

"I-I c-c-came t-t-to s-s-see if y-you w-w-were g-g-going t-to th-th-the g-g-gathering on th-the S-Starbase," she stammered, looking at his boots rather than his face.  "M-m-most of th-th-the c-c-crew is, and I've h-h-h-heard th-that th-there's r-r-real K-Kanar th-there."

[Personal quarters]

Nelkar quietly appraised the young cardassian in front of him as she spoke. He still didn't understand the green getup-- in fact, he found it to be quite an eyesore--- but if she was out of uniform, this was probably some informal occasion. When she asked if he was going to this gathering, he frowned.

"I hadn't intended on it, no," he said. However, the notion of real kanar was certainly enticing. Like many, he quite enjoyed a drink or two.. Or ten. It might be worth it to go just for that. "I take it by your presence here that you're looking to ask me to go?"
Back to top Go down
Ilana Telak
Ensign
Ensign

Purple Heart

PostSubject: Re: In the Bleak Mid-Winter (Open)   In the Bleak Mid-Winter (Open) I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 05, 2015 7:42 pm

Nelkar Epath wrote:
Nelkar quietly appraised the young cardassian in front of him as she spoke. He still didn't understand the green getup-- in fact, he found it to be quite an eyesore--- but if she was out of uniform, this was probably some informal occasion. When she asked if he was going to this gathering, he frowned.

"I hadn't intended on it, no," he said. However, the notion of real kanar was certainly enticing. Like many, he quite enjoyed a drink or two.. Or ten. It might be worth it to go just for that. "I take it by your presence here that you're looking to ask me to go?"

[Nelkar's Quarters]

Playing with the cuff of her sleeve, Ilana nodded shyly. She was actually quite relieved that he seemed to be taking things in stride and not shouting at her yet. That was a good sign, wasn't it? In any case, she could possibly pass it off as a professional interest in making sure that the other Cardassian didn't isolate himself from the crew too much rather than a personal interest in the same.

"Y-y-yes. I n-n-noticed th-th-that y-y-you d-don't m-mingle m-much w-w-with th-the c-c-crew, and it s-s-seemed l-l-like a g-good opportunity t-t-to d-d-do s-s-so. I'm h-h-heading th-there t-t-to m-m-meet s-s-someone anyway, s-so I th-th-thought I'd s-s-stop b-b-by and ask."
Back to top Go down
Corman Stark
Rear Admiral Lower Half
Rear Admiral Lower Half

Captain's Recognition
1 Year Service
Founding Member

PostSubject: Re: In the Bleak Mid-Winter (Open)   In the Bleak Mid-Winter (Open) I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 05, 2015 7:47 pm

Archangel T'Koris wrote:

After getting a cup of tea from the replicator and taking a seat again, Archangel took a sip of the hot liquid as she observed him pouring a drink of his own.  She didn't bother to correct him about her avoidance of alcohol being more out of wanting to avoid sickbay when her system rejected the substance rather than out of a choice on her point.  There were some things he didn't need to know.

She honestly hadn't been bothered by the absence of lights in the office, but having them brought up to half did make it easier to gauge the Admiral's expression and posture as she tried to determine what his motives for this meeting might be.

The question about her family, while coming out of left field, didn't seem to faze the Romulan.  "Of course, sir.  I couldn't tell the girls that we wouldn't be going when they found out that there might be a guest appearance from Santa."  She then took a sip of her tea before adding:  "Will you be there, sir?"

[XO's Office]

"God willing, Santa won't be showing up any time soon," Stark muttered, remembering well the last time they had one of these Christmas gatherings. Of course, it hadn't been 'Santa', but a manifestation of the Q entity. He had no idea if it was the Q, or another member of their thrice-damned Continuum. That kind of crap was for scientists or philosophers or anyone not named 'Corman Stark'.

Standing, Stark turned to the transparent aluminum viewport behind him. Athena was fairly quiet, with the Phoenix being the only Starfleet vessel among several freighters and civvy liners docked. He balled his fist, knuckling his lower back with a satisfying pop sound, turning back to Archangel. "You were there on the front line, T'Koris," he said, his voice quiet and somewhat introspective. "How serious a problem do you believe these warp conduits to be?"
Back to top Go down
Archangel T'Koris
Captain
Captain

1 Year Service
Art Contribution

PostSubject: Re: In the Bleak Mid-Winter (Open)   In the Bleak Mid-Winter (Open) I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 05, 2015 7:58 pm

Corman Stark wrote:
"God willing, Santa won't be showing up any time soon," Stark muttered, remembering well the last time they had one of these Christmas gatherings.  Of course, it hadn't been 'Santa', but a manifestation of the Q entity.  He had no idea if it was the Q, or another member of their thrice-damned Continuum.  That kind of crap was for scientists or philosophers or anyone not named 'Corman Stark'.

Standing, Stark turned to the transparent aluminum viewport behind him.  Athena was fairly quiet, with the Phoenix being the only Starfleet vessel among several freighters and civvy liners docked.  He balled his fist, knuckling his lower back with a satisfying pop sound, turning back to Archangel.  "You were there on the front line, T'Koris," he said, his voice quiet and somewhat introspective.  "How serious a problem do you believe these warp conduits to be?"

[XO's Office]

Archangel raised an eyebrow at the Admiral's mutterings, but said nothing about them. It sounded as if they were something that was supposed to be kept inside his mind but somehow made their way to his tongue, only picked up by her acute hearing. Instead, she took another sip of her tea as he got to his feet and made his way over to the view port to stare out, waiting for him to make the next move.

Chess. Always a game of chess.

She probably should have expected him to ask about the conduit, despite the fact that she had written out quite an extensive report on the matter, which she reminded him of.

"Sir, I did file an extensive report on our experiences with the conduit as well as recommendations and advice for any other ships who might wish to try to repeat the incident."
Back to top Go down
Nelkar Epath
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Purple Heart
Posting Excellence

PostSubject: Re: In the Bleak Mid-Winter (Open)   In the Bleak Mid-Winter (Open) I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 05, 2015 8:16 pm

Ilana Telak wrote:

[Nelkar's Quarters]

Playing with the cuff of her sleeve, Ilana nodded shyly.  She was actually quite relieved that he seemed to be taking things in stride and not shouting at her yet.  That was a good sign, wasn't it?  In any case, she could possibly pass it off as a professional interest in making sure that the other Cardassian didn't isolate himself from the crew too much rather than a personal interest in the same.

"Y-y-yes.  I n-n-noticed th-th-that y-y-you d-don't m-mingle m-much w-w-with th-the c-c-crew, and it s-s-seemed l-l-like a g-good opportunity t-t-to d-d-do s-s-so.  I'm h-h-heading th-there t-t-to m-m-meet s-s-someone anyway, s-so I th-th-thought I'd s-s-stop b-b-by and ask."

[Personal Quarters]

"You're correct. I don't, and for quite a good reason," Nelkar replied. Not the smallest of which was the simple fact that half the crew seemed to look at him like he was about to stick a knife in their back at any moment. Some time in the past, that may have been a legitimate concern. Now, however... Well, it wasn't exactly acceptable practice for a spy to blow his cover so haphazardly, was it?

But really... What harm could really come from going? He really didn't care to step beyond his threshold more often than he had to, but Ilana looked so hopeful. Perhaps if he hadn't just been staring forlornly at the picture of his daughter that reminded him so much of telak, he might have managed a 'no'.

He looked stern for a moment, then nodded once. "I suppose this once won't kill me."
Back to top Go down
Corman Stark
Rear Admiral Lower Half
Rear Admiral Lower Half

Captain's Recognition
1 Year Service
Founding Member

PostSubject: Re: In the Bleak Mid-Winter (Open)   In the Bleak Mid-Winter (Open) I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 05, 2015 8:27 pm

Archangel T'Koris wrote:

Archangel raised an eyebrow at the Admiral's mutterings, but said nothing about them.  It sounded as if they were something that was supposed to be kept inside his mind but somehow made their way to his tongue, only picked up by her acute hearing.  Instead, she took another sip of her tea as he got to his feet and made his way over to the view port to stare out, waiting for him to make the next move.

Chess.  Always a game of chess.

She probably should have expected him to ask about the conduit, despite the fact that she had written out quite an extensive report on the matter, which she reminded him of.

"Sir, I did file an extensive report on our experiences with the conduit as well as recommendations and advice for any other ships who might wish to try to repeat the incident."

[XO's Office]

Silent a moment, Stark blinked. Once, twice. He then broke out into a rather wicked grin. "Why, Captain T'Koris," he drawled. "Did you just tell me to piss off?" Swirling the bourbon around, Corman drained it, setting the heavy-bottomed glass down on his polished tabletop. The alcohol was definitely starting to warm his midsection. He was just about ready to face this party.

He walked around the desk, motioning for T'Koris to follow. "I've read your report," Stark said, pausing by the door. "So's Deacon, as well as Starfleet Command. I wouldn't be doing my job, though, if I wasn't a little paranoid. That's why I'm here. Computer, lights." The lighting in the office toned down, leaving only the ambient starlight. "She's the one that shakes the hands and tongues the ears, the cool, collected face of Starfleet and the UFP. I'm a rat bastard so she doesn't have to be. I'm the guard dog. The one that's there to prove that, should she desire it, the chain would be cut and throats would be bitten out." Quirking an eyebrow, Corman continued. "Festive thoughts, eh? Anyway. I don't need to stress how important this is. Not only for us, but for the Federation. God knows we can't handle a mountain of crap coming through one of those damn conduits. Any info you gather needs to come to my desk first." He nodded to the door. "Shall we?"
Back to top Go down
Ilana Telak
Ensign
Ensign

Purple Heart

PostSubject: Re: In the Bleak Mid-Winter (Open)   In the Bleak Mid-Winter (Open) I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 05, 2015 8:43 pm

Nelkar Epath wrote:
"You're correct. I don't, and for quite a good reason," Nelkar replied. Not the smallest of which was the simple fact that half the crew seemed to look at him like he was about to stick a knife in their back at any moment. Some time in the past, that may have been a legitimate concern. Now, however... Well, it wasn't exactly acceptable practice for a spy to blow his cover so haphazardly, was it?

But really... What harm could really come from going? He really didn't care to step beyond his threshold more often than he had to, but Ilana looked so hopeful. Perhaps if he hadn't just been staring forlornly at the picture of his daughter that reminded him so much of telak, he might have managed a 'no'.

He looked stern for a moment, then nodded once. "I suppose this once won't kill me."

[Nelkar's Quarters]

For a moment, Ilana's heart was in her mouth. Nelkar's expression was stern, unyielding as he looked at her, possibly as if she was an insect who dared to scuttle across his polished boot, but a flood of relief rushed through her when he nodded, a bright smile lighting up her face.

"G-g-good!" she replied, gesturing down the corridor for him to come with her. "R-R-Raynor'll p-p-probably b-be w-w-wondering wh-where I am b-b-by n-n-now, b-b-but h-he'll kn-kn-know wh-where all th-th-the g-g-good alcohol is, if th-th-that's wh-what y-y-you w-w-want."
Back to top Go down
Archangel T'Koris
Captain
Captain

1 Year Service
Art Contribution

PostSubject: Re: In the Bleak Mid-Winter (Open)   In the Bleak Mid-Winter (Open) I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 05, 2015 8:52 pm

Corman Stark wrote:
Silent a moment, Stark blinked.  Once, twice.  He then broke out into a rather wicked grin.  "Why, Captain T'Koris," he drawled.  "Did you just tell me to piss off?"  Swirling the bourbon around, Corman drained it, setting the heavy-bottomed glass down on his polished tabletop.  The alcohol was definitely starting to warm his midsection.  He was just about ready to face this party.

He walked around the desk, motioning for T'Koris to follow.  "I've read your report," Stark said, pausing by the door.  "So's Deacon, as well as Starfleet Command.  I wouldn't be doing my job, though, if I wasn't a little paranoid.  That's why I'm here.  Computer, lights."  The lighting in the office toned down, leaving only the ambient starlight.  "She's the one that shakes the hands and tongues the ears, the cool, collected face of Starfleet and the UFP.  I'm a rat bastard so she doesn't have to be.  I'm the guard dog.  The one that's there to prove that, should she desire it, the chain would be cut and throats would be bitten out."  Quirking an eyebrow, Corman continued.  "Festive thoughts, eh?  Anyway.  I don't need to stress how important this is.  Not only for us, but for the Federation.  God knows we can't handle a mountain of crap coming through one of those damn conduits.  Any info you gather needs to come to my desk first."  He nodded to the door.  "Shall we?"

[XO's Office]

Perhaps wisely, Archangel decided not to answer that first question, suspecting that it might be rhetorical anyway. She really had no intention of starting a fight with the Admiral. Those kinds of things never ended well. However, the best laid plans of Starfleet officers and brass oft go awry.

Her dark eyes narrowed at the inference and new pressure that Stark seemed to be laying on her shoulders. Whether he meant it to be or not, it sounded almost like a threat, comparing himself to Deacon's guard dog and then going on to remind her of how things were supposed to be. Her teacup was set down on the desk with a little more force than was necessary as she got to her feet, squaring her shoulders and stiffening her spine.

"With all due respect, sir, I don't need you to remind me of my duty. I have done and always will do what is in the best interest for the Federation."
Back to top Go down
Myree Grell
Ensign
Ensign

PostSubject: Re: In the Bleak Mid-Winter (Open)   In the Bleak Mid-Winter (Open) I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 05, 2015 9:03 pm

[Christmas Gathering]

"Uh...huh." Myree quirked her mouth in concentration, trying to balance the fizzy drink in one hand and type commands with the other. She stood off to the side of the main gathering, in front of an open access panel, tapping at the LCARS commands. Although she hadn't grown up with any particular 'winter' tradition, some of the colonists of Deneva were first-generations from Earth, and had brought their ways with them. She knew it to be a time of gifts and snowflakes. Most importantly, people tended to drink a lot.

That was alright by her.

Smiling, the Orion entered a final sequence, one that tapped into the lighting systems of the gathering hall. The setting was ambiance-dim, of course, but she felt that things needed just another special tough. That touch was, of course, holgraphic snowflakes. Who could resist something like that at Christmas time?

On cue, tiny little snowflakes began to fall all around the main floor area, emitted by holoprojectors. Myree gave a contented sip of her drink, and...

Immediately noted that something was wrong.

"Yeah...I don't think it snows purple on Earth..." she muttered to herself. That was damn sure what it was doing in here, though. After a while, Myree decided that she rather liked the purple snow, proving that things could always be improved upon.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: In the Bleak Mid-Winter (Open)   In the Bleak Mid-Winter (Open) I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

In the Bleak Mid-Winter (Open)
Page 1 of 7Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next