Aurora Fleet
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Current Year: 2379

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» *poking the fleet part deux*
Defrag (Deacon/Stark) I_icon_minitimeby Archangel T'Koris Thu Jul 15, 2021 12:57 pm

» Isn't this a fine kettle of fish?
Defrag (Deacon/Stark) I_icon_minitimeby Archangel T'Koris Sat Dec 17, 2016 5:36 am

» *pokes the fleet*
Defrag (Deacon/Stark) I_icon_minitimeby Julia Rellek Sat Nov 12, 2016 12:23 am

» Hrafn is back (sort of)
Defrag (Deacon/Stark) I_icon_minitimeby Archangel T'Koris Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:00 pm

» Merger
Defrag (Deacon/Stark) I_icon_minitimeby Archangel T'Koris Fri May 06, 2016 7:04 pm

» Uninvited Guests [Zero / Leela]
Defrag (Deacon/Stark) I_icon_minitimeby Zero Alpha Wed May 04, 2016 4:50 pm

» Seeing Clearly
Defrag (Deacon/Stark) I_icon_minitimeby Archangel T'Koris Wed May 04, 2016 4:42 pm

» Season 2, Mission 2: Light the Way
Defrag (Deacon/Stark) I_icon_minitimeby Elena Tarunt Tue May 03, 2016 10:37 pm

» FACECLAIMS
Defrag (Deacon/Stark) I_icon_minitimeby Guest Tue May 03, 2016 12:24 pm

» Application:John Brown
Defrag (Deacon/Stark) I_icon_minitimeby Julia Rellek Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:08 am

Affiliates

Defrag (Deacon/Stark)

Go down 
2 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Corman Stark
Rear Admiral Lower Half
Rear Admiral Lower Half

Captain's Recognition
1 Year Service
Completed Plot and Bio Page
Participated in the first mission
Founding Member

Defrag (Deacon/Stark) Empty
PostSubject: Defrag (Deacon/Stark)   Defrag (Deacon/Stark) I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 07, 2014 7:30 am

[Starbase Athena - XO's Office]

Corman Stark switched his computer terminal off, staring for a long moment at his own reflection in the black screen. When had those bags under his eyes become so pronounced? Probably after you passed forty-five, he thought, smirking a little bit. Yes, the years certainly went faster now than they did back then.

Moving away from his desk, Corman tucked his padd under his arm, and slowly started walking toward the door that led to Deacon's office. He'd not exactly been...avoiding...his CO since the spore incident, but...well, maybe he had. It'd been an insane time on their little station, and one did not usually down bottles of whiskey with their boss. At least, not in Starfleet.

Perhaps we should do it more often, he thought, materializing a cup of coffee from his replicator. Make assignments like this go a hell of a lot easier.

He'd almost asked to join the starship crew when he'd learned that Deacon was sending the lion's share of the station staff along with Captain T'Koris for cross-training. But, if there was one thing he'd learned with Captain Hale, and from his own time in the big chair, if you were wanted, you'd be asked. Besides, he knew that having a flag officer on board for a ship's first mission would undermine the captain's authority. He would have resented the hell out of it, had it been his command.

And so, here he was, with a padd full of departmental reports on the progress of putting the Athena back together. He sighed, straightening his collar, and chimed Deacon's office door.
Back to top Go down
Rachel Deacon
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

1 Year Service
Founding Member

PostSubject: Re: Defrag (Deacon/Stark)   Defrag (Deacon/Stark) I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 08, 2014 2:43 am

Corman Stark wrote:

And so, here he was, with a padd full of departmental reports on the progress of putting the Athena back together.  He sighed, straightening his collar, and chimed Deacon's office door.

[Deacon's Office]

The Admiral was sitting at her desk, her elbows propped on the table with her forehead resting against her hands, her VISOR sitting on the surface next to her. The computer had been in the process of reading out the recent ship movements around the starbase when her door chimed.

"Computer, identify who is at the door."

Rear Admiral Lower Half Corman Stark is waiting outside Admiral Rachel Deacon's Office.

"Enter!" She sat back in her chair, looking towards where she knew the door was. "What can I do for you, Mr Stark?"
Back to top Go down
http://www.aurorafleet.org
Corman Stark
Rear Admiral Lower Half
Rear Admiral Lower Half

Captain's Recognition
1 Year Service
Founding Member

PostSubject: Re: Defrag (Deacon/Stark)   Defrag (Deacon/Stark) I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 09, 2014 5:58 am

Rachel Deacon wrote:

"Enter!"  She sat back in her chair, looking towards where she knew the door was.  "What can I do for you, Mr Stark?"

As he entered the office, Corman gave a brief smile and a nod. Even though he knew damn well she couldn't really see it, he still knew that someone could hear your facial expressions in your voice, if they knew what to listen for. Deacon had been in the diplomatic corps, so...yeah. He was pretty damn sure she knew how to keep her ears open.

"Morning, ma'am," he said, resting the padd on her desk and standing by the viewport. He couldn't help but notice how Deacon seemed to be in a hurry to get that VISOR off her head. Corman wondered if it bothered her much, but he wasn't an engineer, so his assistance in that aspect would be limited, at best. "Final DH reports on the Spore Incident," he said. "It appears that everyone's working on getting back to normal. Ogrim's on medical leave for a few weeks. Poor guy said he can't even sleep without seeing visions of Ferengi with scalpels, coming after him. I'm going to have him scheduled for sessions with Arthur once he returns."
Back to top Go down
Rachel Deacon
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

1 Year Service
Founding Member

PostSubject: Re: Defrag (Deacon/Stark)   Defrag (Deacon/Stark) I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 09, 2014 6:29 am

Corman Stark wrote:
As he entered the office, Corman gave a brief smile and a nod. Even though he knew damn well she couldn't really see it, he still knew that someone could hear your facial expressions in your voice, if they knew what to listen for. Deacon had been in the diplomatic corps, so...yeah. He was pretty damn sure she knew how to keep her ears open.

"Morning, ma'am," he said, resting the padd on her desk and standing by the viewport. He couldn't help but notice how Deacon seemed to be in a hurry to get that VISOR off her head. Corman wondered if it bothered her much, but he wasn't an engineer, so his assistance in that aspect would be limited, at best. "Final DH reports on the Spore Incident," he said. "It appears that everyone's working on getting back to normal. Ogrim's on medical leave for a few weeks. Poor guy said he can't even sleep without seeing visions of Ferengi with scalpels, coming after him. I'm going to have him scheduled for sessions with Arthur once he returns."

It was easy to track Stark's footsteps across her office towards the viewport, a favoured place for him to stand. Rachel knew that he continued to long for a starship appointment again, but that wasn't where Starfleet needed him, unfortunately.

The mention of more reports following the spore incident made the admiral sit back in her chair with a sigh, although she kept her ears metaphorically pricked as Stark continued on.

"Yes, I believe that the trauma of such a hunt must have been severe for Mr Ogrim," she replied, nodding. Her second had done well to grant him medical leave until their counsellor returned from the bonding session aboard the Phoenix. She then continued the line of thinking with: "Ensign Telak refused medical leave. I have assigned her to the medical research lab."
Back to top Go down
Corman Stark
Rear Admiral Lower Half
Rear Admiral Lower Half

Captain's Recognition
1 Year Service
Founding Member

PostSubject: Re: Defrag (Deacon/Stark)   Defrag (Deacon/Stark) I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 09, 2014 9:52 pm

Rachel Deacon wrote:

It was easy to track Stark's footsteps across her office towards the viewport, a favoured place for him to stand.  Rachel knew that he continued to long for a starship appointment again, but that wasn't where Starfleet needed him, unfortunately.

The mention of more reports following the spore incident made the admiral sit back in her chair with a sigh, although she kept her ears metaphorically pricked as Stark continued on.

"Yes, I believe that the trauma of such a hunt must have been severe for Mr Ogrim," she replied, nodding.  Her second had done well to grant him medical leave until their counsellor returned from the bonding session aboard the Phoenix.  She then continued the line of thinking with:  "Ensign Telak refused medical leave.  I have assigned her to the medical research lab."

There were times that Corman was glad that Deacon couldn't fully see him. He was fairly sure that his slight freezing at the mention of Telak would have been something she'd frown over. "I see," he said, rather evenly. Of course she'd refuse. They're basically mechanical. The drive of Klingons, but with none of the honor. And, speaking of Klingons...

"I understand that our EO, Hughes, is assisting her research," Stark said, turning back from the window. "Now...that is a hell of a pair. A Klingon and a Cardassian. God knows what kind of relationship those two have, but...I guess it gives us all hope for the future, hm?"
Back to top Go down
Rachel Deacon
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

1 Year Service
Founding Member

PostSubject: Re: Defrag (Deacon/Stark)   Defrag (Deacon/Stark) I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 10, 2014 2:54 am

Rachel could hear the slight inflection in Stark's voice as the conversation turned to their Cardassian medic. In truth, she only noticed it because she had been waiting for it. It was going to take a lot longer than a couple of weeks for him to come to accept Telak.

"I have noticed that they are generally stationes together, by request if not by chance. From what I have observed of the pair, they have a certain fondness for each other. Telak regards Hughes with something bordering on adoration of an idol."
Back to top Go down
Corman Stark
Rear Admiral Lower Half
Rear Admiral Lower Half

Captain's Recognition
1 Year Service
Founding Member

PostSubject: Re: Defrag (Deacon/Stark)   Defrag (Deacon/Stark) I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 10, 2014 10:29 am

Rachel Deacon wrote:
Rachel could hear the slight inflection in Stark's voice as the conversation turned to their Cardassian medic.  In truth, she only noticed it because she had been waiting for it.  It was going to take a lot longer than a couple of weeks for him to come to accept Telak.

"I have noticed that they are generally stationes together, by request if not by chance.  From what I have observed of the pair, they have a certain fondness for each other.  Telak regards Hughes with something bordering on adoration of an idol."

Corman had to give a little laugh as he considered the relationship in question. "We're basically a small town in space, ma'am. People talk, and things get around. And the big rumor is, of course, that they're a couple." He shrugged, both mentally and physically. "Not that flag officers are in this business for the gossip, right?"

Maybe they were, maybe they weren't. If what had happened in the Arboretum during the Spore Incident, in front of the naked stars and everyone, was true...well, Corman didn't see how the pair could deny it.

And speaking of the spores...

"So," he said, with an air of 'closing that chapter' in reference to Hughes and Telak, "most of the station's departments are moving along well in the cleanup and final disinfectant scan process. How are you feeling?"
Back to top Go down
Rachel Deacon
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

1 Year Service
Founding Member

PostSubject: Re: Defrag (Deacon/Stark)   Defrag (Deacon/Stark) I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 10, 2014 11:17 am

Corman Stark wrote:

Corman had to give a little laugh as he considered the relationship in question.  "We're basically a small town in space, ma'am.  People talk, and things get around.  And the big rumor is, of course, that they're a couple."  He shrugged, both mentally and physically.  "Not that flag officers are in this business for the gossip, right?"

Maybe they were, maybe they weren't.  If what had happened in the Arboretum during the Spore Incident, in front of the naked stars and everyone, was true...well, Corman didn't see how the pair could deny it.  

And speaking of the spores...

"So," he said, with an air of 'closing that chapter' in reference to Hughes and Telak, "most of the station's departments are moving along well in the cleanup and final disinfectant scan process.  How are you feeling?"

A small smile tugged at one corner of Rachel's mouth. Outwardly, he was right, flag and command officers shouldn't be in the business of gossiping about their crews, but they would be foolhardy indeed if they didn't pay attention to it. How else would they be able to keep up with how the crew was feeling?

"I did have a discussion, if you can call it that, with Ensign Telak about that particular piece of gossip. While there is apparently attraction between them, they do not intend to pursue a romantic relationship." She shrugged one shoulder, then moved on to the next subject of conversation that Stark had brought up.

"Mr Stark. I was raised and educated on Vulcan and as such learned many of their techniques for disciplining their mind. You don't need to worry about my state of health in that regard."
Back to top Go down
Corman Stark
Rear Admiral Lower Half
Rear Admiral Lower Half

Captain's Recognition
1 Year Service
Founding Member

PostSubject: Re: Defrag (Deacon/Stark)   Defrag (Deacon/Stark) I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 10, 2014 1:10 pm

Rachel Deacon wrote:

A small smile tugged at one corner of Rachel's mouth.  Outwardly, he was right, flag and command officers shouldn't be in the business of gossiping about their crews, but they would be foolhardy indeed if they didn't pay attention to it.  How else would they be able to keep up with how the crew was feeling?

"I did have a discussion, if you can call it that, with Ensign Telak about that particular piece of gossip.  While there is apparently attraction between them, they do not intend to pursue a romantic relationship." She shrugged one shoulder, then moved on to the next subject of conversation that Stark had brought up.

"Mr Stark.  I was raised and educated on Vulcan and as such learned many of their techniques for disciplining their mind.  You don't need to worry about my state of health in that regard."

In a way, Corman was not at all upset to hear that Telak wasn't interested in pursuing anything more than friendship with Hughes. Corman had only met the Klingon a few times, but he'd instantly liked the man. Granted, his affinity with Klingons, and the fact that he was a sworn blood-brother to the House of Qur'lot, certainly didn't hurt. No accounting for taste, he thought, but one could certainly do better than a Cardassian for a partner.

Corman crossed his arms lightly, allowing a slight tinge of amusement to enter his voice. "Ma'am. All due respect. None of us had any semblance of mental discipline that day. Sitting on the floor of your office, wasted out of our minds on Kentucky bourbon...you certainly didn't seem to be in a good state."
Back to top Go down
Rachel Deacon
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

1 Year Service
Founding Member

PostSubject: Re: Defrag (Deacon/Stark)   Defrag (Deacon/Stark) I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 10, 2014 1:15 pm

Corman Stark wrote:

In a way, Corman was not at all upset to hear that Telak wasn't interested in pursuing anything more than friendship with Hughes.  Corman had only met the Klingon a few times, but he'd instantly liked the man.  Granted, his affinity with Klingons, and the fact that he was a sworn blood-brother to the House of Qur'lot, certainly didn't hurt.  No accounting for taste, he thought, but one could certainly do better than a Cardassian for a partner.

Corman crossed his arms lightly, allowing a slight tinge of amusement to enter his voice.  "Ma'am.  All due respect.  None of us had any semblance of mental discipline that day.  Sitting on the floor of your office, wasted out of our minds on Kentucky bourbon...you certainly didn't seem to be in a good state."

Now there was a phrase that Rachel disliked. "All due respect'. The words that followed it were never respectful. She wondered why people bothered at all.

"Mr Stark, the reports put together by the science and medical teams indicated that the spores removed all conscious control of the mind and actions. What troubles I may have with my parents and insecurities about my position here are generally kept under control. I would assume that the same can be said for you and your problems with your son."
Back to top Go down
Corman Stark
Rear Admiral Lower Half
Rear Admiral Lower Half

Captain's Recognition
1 Year Service
Founding Member

PostSubject: Re: Defrag (Deacon/Stark)   Defrag (Deacon/Stark) I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 10, 2014 1:48 pm

Rachel Deacon wrote:

Now there was a phrase that Rachel disliked.  "All due respect'.  The words that followed it were never respectful.  She wondered why people bothered at all.

"Mr Stark, the reports put together by the science and medical teams indicated that the spores removed all conscious control of the mind and actions.  What troubles I may have with my parents and insecurities about my position here are generally kept under control.  I would assume that the same can be said for you and your problems with your son."

Glancing sharply at his CO, Corman frowned at the mention of his son. "Yes," he said, somewhat sulkily. Or...something like that. Starfleet admiral did not sulk. "They most certainly are." Leave it to her to get snippy about genuine concern, and turn it back to him. Well. Enough of that line of thought.

"Very well. My reports are all contained on the padd, complied from other Departmental Heads. If that'll be all...?" he asked, awaiting her response and wanting to be anywhere else but where he was standing.
Back to top Go down
Rachel Deacon
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

1 Year Service
Founding Member

PostSubject: Re: Defrag (Deacon/Stark)   Defrag (Deacon/Stark) I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 10, 2014 2:29 pm

Corman Stark wrote:

Glancing sharply at his CO, Corman frowned at the mention of his son.  "Yes," he said, somewhat sulkily.  Or...something like that.  Starfleet admiral did not sulk.  "They most certainly are."  Leave it to her to get snippy about genuine concern, and turn it back to him.  Well.  Enough of that line of thought.

"Very well.  My reports are all contained on the padd, complied from other Departmental Heads.  If that'll be all...?" he asked, awaiting her response and wanting to be anywhere else but where he was standing.  

It was easy to read the Admiral's emotions in his voice and that gave Rachel pause. She sighed slightly, turning to face where she judged him to be standing, picking up her VISOR and clipping it into place as she did. It would be a good gesture on her part to show him that she was willing to put up with the device during a conversation with him. She had to maintain a good relationship with her second in command out here. It was essential.

"My apologies, Mr Stark. I shouldn't have made such a comment," she said. "I do have one further question for you, since you brought up the subject. How are you dealing with the aftermath of that unfortunate incident?"
Back to top Go down
Corman Stark
Rear Admiral Lower Half
Rear Admiral Lower Half

Captain's Recognition
1 Year Service
Founding Member

PostSubject: Re: Defrag (Deacon/Stark)   Defrag (Deacon/Stark) I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 10, 2014 3:00 pm

Rachel Deacon wrote:

It was easy to read the Admiral's emotions in his voice and that gave Rachel pause.  She sighed slightly, turning to face where she judged him to be standing, picking up her VISOR and clipping it into place as she did.  It would be a good gesture on her part to show him that she was willing to put up with the device during a conversation with him.  She had to maintain a good relationship with her second in command out here.  It was essential.

"My apologies, Mr Stark.  I shouldn't have made such a comment," she said.  "I do have one further question for you, since you brought up the subject.  How are you dealing with the aftermath of that unfortunate incident?"

Corman shrugged. It was an involuntary action, even though he knew damn well that she couldn't see anything without her VISOR on. "There's nothing to apologize for, ma'am," he continued, keeping his voice tuned to a more carefully-maintained neutrality. "Both of us dug a little deeply into our family lives on that day. There's a lot of things I've done that I'm not proud of...but my son isn't one of them." Even though Corman wouldn't be a part of Conor's life, it still made him happy to know the boy was well. And if I try really hard, I don't even feel resentment toward his mother.

He ghosted a little smile at the fact that the Q&A session had flipped to him. Then again, it shouldn't surprise him. She was a trained diplomat, after all. "I'm alright," he shrugged again, as she clipped her VISOR in place. "I hope you didn't take too much of it to heart. Yes, I'd rather be on a ship, still...but, don't take that as a condemnation of you."
Back to top Go down
Rachel Deacon
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

1 Year Service
Founding Member

PostSubject: Re: Defrag (Deacon/Stark)   Defrag (Deacon/Stark) I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 10, 2014 3:10 pm

Corman Stark wrote:

Corman shrugged.  It was an involuntary action, even though he knew damn well that she couldn't see anything without her VISOR on.  "There's nothing to apologize for, ma'am," he continued, keeping his voice tuned to a more carefully-maintained neutrality.  "Both of us dug a little deeply into our family lives on that day.  There's a lot of things I've done that I'm not proud of...but my son isn't one of them."  Even though Corman wouldn't be a part of Conor's life, it still made him happy to know the boy was well.  And if I try really hard, I don't even feel resentment toward his mother.

He ghosted a little smile at the fact that the Q&A session had flipped to him.  Then again, it shouldn't surprise him.  She was a trained diplomat, after all.  "I'm alright," he shrugged again, as she clipped her VISOR in place.  "I hope you didn't take too much of it to heart.  Yes, I'd rather be on a ship, still...but, don't take that as a condemnation of you."

The slight upturn of one corner of Rachel's mouth was quite an involuntary movement as she listened to Stark. Yes, everything about him suggested that he was a man to take life by the throat, not sit and let it come to him. Unfortunately, that was the role that Starfleet Command had assigned him.

She raised an eyebrow at the words he said though. They sounded as if he was brushing her question off with information that she already knew and generic platitudes. "If we are being honest, Mr Stark, I would rather be back at the Academy, teaching cadets the folly of overconfidence, but that is not where we are needed, unfortunately."
Back to top Go down
Corman Stark
Rear Admiral Lower Half
Rear Admiral Lower Half

Captain's Recognition
1 Year Service
Founding Member

PostSubject: Re: Defrag (Deacon/Stark)   Defrag (Deacon/Stark) I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 10, 2014 10:27 pm

Rachel Deacon wrote:

The slight upturn of one corner of Rachel's mouth was quite an involuntary movement as she listened to Stark.  Yes, everything about him suggested that he was a man to take life by the throat, not sit and let it come to him.   Unfortunately, that was the role that Starfleet Command had assigned him.

She raised an eyebrow at the words he said though.  They sounded as if he was brushing her question off with information that she already knew and generic platitudes.  "If we are being honest, Mr Stark, I would rather be back at the Academy, teaching cadets the folly of overconfidence, but that is not where we are needed, unfortunately."

"You're right, at that," Corman chuckled. "Overconfidence is something you need to learn in space, and not at the Academy." Oh, but he'd had plenty of it, and in both situations and periods of his life. And it'd nearly cost him that life more than once. But that came with the uniform.

Sighing, Corman sat down in one of the chairs in front of Deacon's desk. By-the-book protocol probably required him to be granted permission to sit, but...they were likely beyond that point, by now. At least, he hoped. Besides...if this whole experiment was to work, she'd have to learn to accept a little bit of him, the same as he'd have to accept a bit of her.

He folded his hands in front of him on the desk, a rather reserved gesture. "I suppose people in Hell would prefer to have a glass of ice water, too. But we play with what we're dealt, not what we'd rather have."
Back to top Go down
Rachel Deacon
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

1 Year Service
Founding Member

PostSubject: Re: Defrag (Deacon/Stark)   Defrag (Deacon/Stark) I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 11, 2014 6:03 am

Corman Stark wrote:

"You're right, at that," Corman chuckled.  "Overconfidence is something you need to learn in space, and not at the Academy."  Oh, but he'd had plenty of it, and in both situations and periods of his life.  And it'd nearly cost him that life more than once.  But that came with the uniform.

Sighing, Corman sat down in one of the chairs in front of Deacon's desk.  By-the-book protocol probably required him to be granted permission to sit, but...they were likely beyond that point, by now.  At least, he hoped.  Besides...if this whole experiment was to work, she'd have to learn to accept a little bit of him, the same as he'd have to accept a bit of her.  

He folded his hands in front of him on the desk, a rather reserved gesture.  "I suppose people in Hell would prefer to have a glass of ice water, too.  But we play with what we're dealt, not what we'd rather have."

A slight smirk appeared on Rachel's face. "Yes, many a Cadet has underestimated me because of my VISOR, but I am perfectly capable of defending myself, with or without sight. They tended to have to learn the hard way, during the sparring lessons."

The mention of dealing with that they had been given got Stark a raised eyebrow from his commanding officer. "It is surprising at that, how many people will go to extraordinary lengths to change what they have in the belief that something else will be better."
Back to top Go down
Corman Stark
Rear Admiral Lower Half
Rear Admiral Lower Half

Captain's Recognition
1 Year Service
Founding Member

PostSubject: Re: Defrag (Deacon/Stark)   Defrag (Deacon/Stark) I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 11, 2014 7:16 pm

Rachel Deacon wrote:

A slight smirk appeared on Rachel's face.  "Yes, many a Cadet has underestimated me because of my VISOR, but I am perfectly capable of defending myself, with or without sight.  They tended to have to learn the hard way, during the sparring lessons."

The mention of dealing with that they had been given got Stark a raised eyebrow from his commanding officer.  "It is surprising at that, how many people will go to extraordinary lengths to change what they have in the belief that something else will be better."

"Got that right," Corman said, smiling a little. "Funny how promotions work, too. When we're junior officers, all we can think about is that next pip. One after another after another, and then about somewhere around Lieutenant Commander, you start to think about the chair." He drummed his fingertips on the armrests of the seat, a habit of his. "And then you're sitting in it, and damn if the time doesn't just slip away from you. Those promotions go from something you chase like an Orion to something you avoid like the Andorian shingles."

Suddenly, Corman glanced up at Deacon. "Sparring, huh? What arts are you trained in?"
Back to top Go down
Rachel Deacon
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

1 Year Service
Founding Member

PostSubject: Re: Defrag (Deacon/Stark)   Defrag (Deacon/Stark) I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 11, 2014 7:24 pm

Corman Stark wrote:

"Got that right," Corman said, smiling a little.  "Funny how promotions work, too.  When we're junior officers, all we can think about is that next pip.  One after another after another, and then about somewhere around Lieutenant Commander, you start to think about the chair."  He drummed his fingertips on the armrests of the seat, a habit of his.  "And then you're sitting in it, and damn if the time doesn't just slip away from you.  Those promotions go from something you chase like an Orion to something you avoid like the Andorian shingles."

Suddenly, Corman glanced up at Deacon.  "Sparring, huh?  What arts are you trained in?"

"Interesting. I spent my captaincy in the centre chair of a training vessel at the Academy. It wasn't a bad job, but I was never very interested in taking on a routine assignment as a captain," Rachel replied. She sat back in her chair, folding her fingers into the classic Vulcan medication position, ignoring Stark's somewhat colourful comparisons. "Ranks were never of that much importance to me. I preferred to concentrate on what I was supposed to be doing and doing it to the best of my ability."

The question about what martial arts she had been trained in brought a smile to her face. "I... dabbled in many of them, from various Terran arts to Klingon combat. I am also proficient in Vulcan martial arts. However, I have never really believed in only using one. The best way to put off an opponent is to be unpredictable and using a single art is not best suited to achieving that goal."
Back to top Go down
Corman Stark
Rear Admiral Lower Half
Rear Admiral Lower Half

Captain's Recognition
1 Year Service
Founding Member

PostSubject: Re: Defrag (Deacon/Stark)   Defrag (Deacon/Stark) I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 11, 2014 8:15 pm

Rachel Deacon wrote:

"Interesting.  I spent my captaincy in the centre chair of a training vessel at the Academy.  It wasn't a bad job, but I was never very interested in taking on a routine assignment as a captain," Rachel replied.  She sat back in her chair, folding her fingers into the classic Vulcan medication position, ignoring Stark's somewhat colourful comparisons.  "Ranks were never of that much importance to me.  I preferred to concentrate on what I was supposed to be doing and doing it to the best of my ability."

The question about what martial arts she had been trained in brought a smile to her face.  "I... dabbled in many of them, from various Terran arts to Klingon combat.  I am also proficient in Vulcan martial arts.  However, I have never really believed in only using one.  The best way to put off an opponent is to be unpredictable and using a single art is not best suited to achieving that goal."

A training vessel? Damn, Corman thought. That would be...safe, yes. But about as interesting as listening to the grass growing. To each their own, I guess... He gave a reflective smile, seeming to look inwardly. "My friend, David, and I graduated together. We had a running pool as to who would make captain first...and the loser would have to polish the other's pips. Or...something as equally childish. And, God...we were children, back then."

Corman stopped his line of thought, since thinking of David instantly brought him back to the day his friend was murdered...tortured to death by Cardassians. Let's not go down *that* road again.

He smiled again, though, at Deacon's mentioning of her martial arts. "Spoken like a true sec/tackie. I'm proficient in Federation Standard and Klingon, myself," he said, nodding. "One doesn't become sworn blood brother to an ancient House without knowing how to remove someone's spleen with your index finger," he joked. "If you'd like to spar, sometime, I'd be happy to oblige. If you can knock the rust off of me, that is."
Back to top Go down
Rachel Deacon
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

1 Year Service
Founding Member

PostSubject: Re: Defrag (Deacon/Stark)   Defrag (Deacon/Stark) I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 11, 2014 8:20 pm

Corman Stark wrote:

A training vessel?  Damn, Corman thought.  That would be...safe, yes.  But about as interesting as listening to the grass growing.  To each their own, I guess...  He gave a reflective smile, seeming to look inwardly.  "My friend, David, and I graduated together.  We had a running pool as to who would make captain first...and the loser would have to polish the other's pips.  Or...something as equally childish.  And, God...we were children, back then."  

Corman stopped his line of thought, since thinking of David instantly brought him back to the day his friend was murdered...tortured to death by Cardassians.  Let's not go down *that* road again.

He smiled again, though, at Deacon's mentioning of her martial arts.  "Spoken like a true sec/tackie.  I'm proficient in Federation Standard and Klingon, myself," he said, nodding.  "One doesn't become sworn blood brother to an ancient House without knowing how to remove someone's spleen with your index finger," he joked.  "If you'd like to spar, sometime, I'd be happy to oblige.  If you can knock the rust off of me, that is."

Rachel shrugged one shoulder. She had... enjoyed her time at the Academy. It had suited her, working to hone young minds. She had never really managed to integrate into a crew properly, so it had never bothered her not to be on a 'true' starship.

"I haven't been fully trained in the Klingon martial arts, only enough to get a feel for it," she said, smiling slightly at the memory of ending up on her back on the training mats on the holodeck countless times. "A sparring session does sound like fun. I haven't had reason to practise for a while. I will warn you though, I am as proficient with my sight as without it."
Back to top Go down
Corman Stark
Rear Admiral Lower Half
Rear Admiral Lower Half

Captain's Recognition
1 Year Service
Founding Member

PostSubject: Re: Defrag (Deacon/Stark)   Defrag (Deacon/Stark) I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 11, 2014 9:39 pm

Rachel Deacon wrote:

Rachel shrugged one shoulder.  She had... enjoyed her time at the Academy.  It had suited her, working to hone young minds.  She had never really managed to integrate into a crew properly, so it had never bothered her not to be on a 'true' starship.

"I haven't been fully trained in the Klingon martial arts, only enough to get a feel for it," she said, smiling slightly at the memory of ending up on her back on the training mats on the holodeck countless times.  "A sparring session does sound like fun.  I haven't had reason to practise for a while.  I will warn you though, I am as proficient with my sight as without it."

"Wouldn't dream of insinuating that you weren't, of course," Corman said, still smiling. He liked the sound of a possible sparring match, thinking that, maybe...finally...he had found some common ground with his CO. "Very well, then. How about this evening? I'm sure we could free up a holodeck...I'd hope so, or else this 'flag officer' crap has all been for naught."

Corman picked up his padd, studying it for a little bit, and set it back down. "Admiral," he said, somewhat hesitantly. "When you were tracked to Command...did you ever take the Kobayashi Maru scenario?"
Back to top Go down
Rachel Deacon
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

1 Year Service
Founding Member

PostSubject: Re: Defrag (Deacon/Stark)   Defrag (Deacon/Stark) I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 12, 2014 5:31 am

Corman Stark wrote:

"Wouldn't dream of insinuating that you weren't, of course," Corman said, still smiling.  He liked the sound of a possible sparring match, thinking that, maybe...finally...he had found some common ground with his CO.  "Very well, then.  How about this evening?  I'm sure we could free up a holodeck...I'd hope so, or else this 'flag officer' crap has all been for naught."

Corman picked up his padd, studying it for a little bit, and set it back down.  "Admiral," he said, somewhat hesitantly.  "When you were tracked to Command...did you ever take the Kobayashi Maru scenario?"

"A sparring session sounds like just hte thing after a day spent on my backside listening to reports," Rachel replied with a slight smile. It was getting easier to let her Vulcan persona drop a little around her first officer. It seemed more... natural, compared to their first few encounters.

The question about the Kobayashi Maru threw her a little bit. "Yes, I did, and I administered the test on numerous occasions as well. Why do you ask?"
Back to top Go down
Corman Stark
Rear Admiral Lower Half
Rear Admiral Lower Half

Captain's Recognition
1 Year Service
Founding Member

PostSubject: Re: Defrag (Deacon/Stark)   Defrag (Deacon/Stark) I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 12, 2014 6:07 am

Rachel Deacon wrote:

"A sparring session sounds like just hte thing after a day spent on my backside listening to reports," Rachel replied with a slight smile.  It was getting easier to let her Vulcan persona drop a little around her first officer.  It seemed more... natural, compared to their first few encounters.

The question about the Kobayashi Maru threw her a little bit.  "Yes, I did, and I administered the test on numerous occasions as well.  Why do you ask?"

The more Corman heard, the higher his opinion of his CO rose. Not that he'd harbored any real negative thoughts about her to begin with, but still...it was nice to know that she wasn't just an empty uniform who gained her status through connections. Of course, the same could be said about the Stark line, since they were as Old Starfleet as you could get. Then again, if anyone said that where Corman could hear it, especially in his younger days...they probably would have had to remove his boot from their ass.

Laughing softly, Corman idly scratched his short beard. "There was an Andorian who was the proctor when I took it. Real hardass. I think he almost took joy in watching us get blown up." He was quiet for a moment, and then continued. "If I may ask...what was your solution?"
Back to top Go down
Rachel Deacon
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

1 Year Service
Founding Member

PostSubject: Re: Defrag (Deacon/Stark)   Defrag (Deacon/Stark) I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 12, 2014 6:37 am

Corman Stark wrote:

The more Corman heard, the higher his opinion of his CO rose.  Not that he'd harbored any real negative thoughts about her to begin with, but still...it was nice to know that she wasn't just an empty uniform who gained her status through connections.  Of course, the same could be said about the Stark line, since they were as Old Starfleet as you could get.  Then again, if anyone said that where Corman could hear it, especially in his younger days...they probably would have had to remove his boot from their ass.

Laughing softly, Corman idly scratched his short beard.  "There was an Andorian who was the proctor when I took it.  Real hardass.  I think he almost took joy in watching us get blown up."  He was quiet for a moment, and then continued.  "If I may ask...what was your solution?"

"I didn't beat the test, if that's what you're asking," Rachel warned him, but then went on to explain how she had performed on the test that no one managed to beat, the no-win scenario.

"I tried to hail them first, but there was no response on their part so I used an interface with the computer that allowed all of the data picked up on the sensors to be transmitted to my VISOR implants, allowing me to see what was happening there. One of the Klingon vessels had a weakened shield to the rear." She sighed, rubbing one temple. Getting the readings from her VISOR in her head was a painful job. Receiving all the information from a ship's sensors generally put her on the deck. "I instructed my team to aim for that one, to try to bring its shields down. We managed that, but the other vessels were really starting to pound us. I told my tactical officer to use a tractor beam and try to use it to make it collide with its allies." She looked back up at Stark, shrugging one shoulder. "We didn't have enough time. Our shields went down and that was the end of it."
Back to top Go down
Corman Stark
Rear Admiral Lower Half
Rear Admiral Lower Half

Captain's Recognition
1 Year Service
Founding Member

PostSubject: Re: Defrag (Deacon/Stark)   Defrag (Deacon/Stark) I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 12, 2014 10:13 pm

Rachel Deacon wrote:

"I didn't beat the test, if that's what you're asking," Rachel warned him, but then went on to explain how she had performed on the test that no one managed to beat, the no-win scenario.

"I tried to hail them first, but there was no response on their part so I used an interface with the computer that allowed all of the data picked up on the sensors to be transmitted to my VISOR implants, allowing me to see what was happening there.  One of the Klingon vessels had a weakened shield to the rear."  She sighed, rubbing one temple.  Getting the readings from her VISOR in her head was a painful job.  Receiving all the information from a ship's sensors generally put her on the deck.  "I instructed my team to aim for that one, to try to bring its shields down.  We managed that, but the other vessels were really starting to pound us.  I told my tactical officer to use a tractor beam and try to use it to make it collide with its allies."  She looked back up at Stark, shrugging one shoulder.  "We didn't have enough time.  Our shields went down and that was the end of it."

A pleased smile came over Corman's face as he listened to Deacon's 'solution' for the unwinnable scenario. It showed quick thinking, and a practical mind. She was definitely cut out for the life of a Tactical officer, and the bit with the VISOR was quite inspired. He'd have given her bonus points for that, had he been administering the test.

"Mine were Cardassians," he said, thinking back to what was so long ago. Another life. Another time. "And my Maru was a Bajoran freighter. Can you believe someone tried, about the time I was at the Academy, to get the test changed to something else? They didn't count on how damned hard tradition dies in Starfleet," he chuckled. "But...I digress."

Corman shifted in his chair, getting a bit more comfortable. This was something he dearly loved - war stories. It was one of the reasons he got on so well with Klingons. "Three of them. Our ship was a Constellation, older than Methusalah...but they had punch. And character." Ships today had plenty of the former, but seemed to be sorely lacking in the latter. Ah well. "A scattered target is a hell of a lot harder to kill than a concentrated one, so I ordered full pod evacuation of the ship, after putting out a distress call. Our shuttlecraft were used to tow the freighter back into Federation space, while it became the ship's imperative to amuse the Cardassians."

Pausing a moment, Corman could almost feel himself, young and full of piss and vinegar and fire. "I gave my bridge staff the option of leaving with the rest of the non-essentials. I'm proud to say that they stayed, to an officer." His friend, David, had been acting as his Conn officer that day. "We drew their attention, all guns blazing, while the warp core made an explosive gift to the second one. And the third...well. Even an antique ship hurts when you ram it down someone's throat at full impulse." His proctor had only raised a white eyebrow that day, and had mentioned the 'interesting' facts revealed about Cadet Stark's command abilities.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Defrag (Deacon/Stark)   Defrag (Deacon/Stark) I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Defrag (Deacon/Stark)
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next