Aurora Fleet
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Current Year: 2379

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» *poking the fleet part deux*
Apples Don't Fall Far From the Tree [Raynor/Ilana] - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeby Archangel T'Koris Thu Jul 15, 2021 12:57 pm

» Isn't this a fine kettle of fish?
Apples Don't Fall Far From the Tree [Raynor/Ilana] - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeby Archangel T'Koris Sat Dec 17, 2016 5:36 am

» *pokes the fleet*
Apples Don't Fall Far From the Tree [Raynor/Ilana] - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeby Julia Rellek Sat Nov 12, 2016 12:23 am

» Hrafn is back (sort of)
Apples Don't Fall Far From the Tree [Raynor/Ilana] - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeby Archangel T'Koris Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:00 pm

» Merger
Apples Don't Fall Far From the Tree [Raynor/Ilana] - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeby Archangel T'Koris Fri May 06, 2016 7:04 pm

» Uninvited Guests [Zero / Leela]
Apples Don't Fall Far From the Tree [Raynor/Ilana] - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeby Zero Alpha Wed May 04, 2016 4:50 pm

» Seeing Clearly
Apples Don't Fall Far From the Tree [Raynor/Ilana] - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeby Archangel T'Koris Wed May 04, 2016 4:42 pm

» Season 2, Mission 2: Light the Way
Apples Don't Fall Far From the Tree [Raynor/Ilana] - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeby Elena Tarunt Tue May 03, 2016 10:37 pm

» FACECLAIMS
Apples Don't Fall Far From the Tree [Raynor/Ilana] - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeby Guest Tue May 03, 2016 12:24 pm

» Application:John Brown
Apples Don't Fall Far From the Tree [Raynor/Ilana] - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeby Julia Rellek Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:08 am

Affiliates

Apples Don't Fall Far From the Tree [Raynor/Ilana]

Go down 
3 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
AuthorMessage
Ilana Telak
Ensign
Ensign

Purple Heart
Participated in the first mission

Apples Don't Fall Far From the Tree [Raynor/Ilana] - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Apples Don't Fall Far From the Tree [Raynor/Ilana]   Apples Don't Fall Far From the Tree [Raynor/Ilana] - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 04, 2015 7:09 am

Ilana had been starting to get her duffel together when she heard the computer's report on the temperatures outside. She gave a groan that she hadn't intended to vocalise. Cardassians were generally comfortable in climates that were over 50 degrees celsius. She managed to tolerate the ambient temps on Starfleet installations by wearing thermal layers and heating pads, but that was unlikely to suffice in this cold.

"I d-don't think a c-coat is going to b-be enough..." She said doubtfully, looking out of the window again.
Back to top Go down
Raynor Hughes

Raynor Hughes

Completed Plot and Bio Page

PostSubject: Re: Apples Don't Fall Far From the Tree [Raynor/Ilana]   Apples Don't Fall Far From the Tree [Raynor/Ilana] - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 05, 2015 12:38 pm

Ilana Telak wrote:
Ilana had been starting to get her duffel together when she heard the computer's report on the temperatures outside.  She gave a groan that she hadn't intended to vocalise.  Cardassians were generally comfortable in climates that were over 50 degrees celsius.  She managed to tolerate the ambient temps on Starfleet installations by wearing thermal layers and heating pads, but that was unlikely to suffice in this cold.

"I d-don't think a c-coat is going to b-be enough..." She said doubtfully, looking out of the window again.

The hesitation in Ilana's voice caught Raynor by surprise, drawing him up short. He turned around, his expression one of concern. "It is temperate now, but...yes, it will be significantly cooler than what you are used to." Raynor drew her up close, his hands resting on her upper arms. "Lana...if you do not wish to go through this this, we do not have to."
Back to top Go down
Ilana Telak
Ensign
Ensign

Purple Heart

PostSubject: Re: Apples Don't Fall Far From the Tree [Raynor/Ilana]   Apples Don't Fall Far From the Tree [Raynor/Ilana] - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 05, 2015 2:00 pm

Raynor Hughes wrote:
The hesitation in Ilana's voice caught Raynor by surprise, drawing him up short.  He turned around, his expression one of concern.  "It is temperate now, but...yes, it will be significantly cooler than what you are used to."  Raynor drew her up close, his hands resting on her upper arms.  "Lana...if you do not wish to go through this this, we do not have to."

Ilana tilted her head upwards so that she could look at the Klingon from her short height. His concern was clear and warming in its sincerity. She offered him a slight smile, lifting her hands to cup his jaw.

"I s-still want to do th-this," she told him in a light tone. "It's j-just the cold I'm n-not so sh-sure about." She stole a quick kiss from his lips before stepping back out of the embrace, pulling on a heavy jacket over her uniform.
Back to top Go down
Raynor Hughes

Raynor Hughes

PostSubject: Re: Apples Don't Fall Far From the Tree [Raynor/Ilana]   Apples Don't Fall Far From the Tree [Raynor/Ilana] - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 06, 2015 11:00 am

Ilana Telak wrote:

Ilana tilted her head upwards so that she could look at the Klingon from her short height.  His concern was clear and warming in its sincerity.  She offered him a slight smile, lifting her hands to cup his jaw.

"I s-still want to do th-this," she told him in a light tone.  "It's j-just the cold I'm n-not so sh-sure about."  She stole a quick kiss from his lips before stepping back out of the embrace, pulling on a heavy jacket over her uniform.

"Always the heart of a warrior," Raynor said, nodding his head with an appreciative tone. It was that spirit that had first caught his attention with Ilana, the heart that pushed her on despite the frailty of her body. He made a note, however, to never bring her to this place during this continent's winter. It was a brutal enough time, outside of the major cities' weather grids, for even the heartiest of souls. One of the few places left on Earth with wilds that could, indeed, kill the unwary or the foolish.

It was home, and Raynor loved it.

The city of Fairbanks was fairly small, as far as Earth cities went, especially by 24th century standards. In the past, the only people who lived in places like this were outlaws and fortune-seekers. Crime and greed were gone from the planet, so now these cities were full of people who just wanted to escape the modular life of living in the larger areas. Raynor imagined that there were a fair amount of lunatics left, too.

In no time they were skimming the tops of the trees in an anti-grav speeder, a thick and verdant stretch of conifers spreading out below them like a green blanket, while far in the distance reared greyish-purple mountains capped in forbidding snow. "It will take approximately twenty minutes by speeder to reach father's homestead. Try not to look so forlorn, dear doctor. We're not going far into the mountains..."
Back to top Go down
Ilana Telak
Ensign
Ensign

Purple Heart

PostSubject: Re: Apples Don't Fall Far From the Tree [Raynor/Ilana]   Apples Don't Fall Far From the Tree [Raynor/Ilana] - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 06, 2015 12:14 pm

Raynor Hughes wrote:
In no time they were skimming the tops of the trees in an anti-grav speeder, a thick and verdant stretch of conifers spreading out below them like a green blanket, while far in the distance reared greyish-purple mountains capped in forbidding snow.  "It will take approximately twenty minutes by speeder to reach father's homestead.  Try not to look so forlorn, dear doctor.  We're not going far into the mountains..."

The land below them was about as alien to Ilana as her own species' homeworld, a place that she had never seen before. Dark green trees and white ground and grey rock. This wasn't the pale green and yellows that she was used to of the colony, or even the functional grey of Starfleet. She watched out of the window of the speeder as it carried them onwards,

She still had concerns about the trip, that more or less went without saying. She knew that her mother would have accepted more or less any potential mate she brought home, and that her father would attempt to haze any other male in her life. Their reactions had been predictable. Those of Raynor's father? Not so much.

Twenty minutes, however, was not a long time, and the speeder was warm with the temperature set high. She stuck her tongue out at the Klingon. "Was I l-looking forlorn? I d-don't believe so."
Back to top Go down
Raynor Hughes

Raynor Hughes

PostSubject: Re: Apples Don't Fall Far From the Tree [Raynor/Ilana]   Apples Don't Fall Far From the Tree [Raynor/Ilana] - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 06, 2015 8:04 pm

Ilana Telak wrote:

The land below them was about as alien to Ilana as her own species' homeworld, a place that she had never seen before.  Dark green trees and white ground and grey rock.  This wasn't the pale green and yellows that she was used to of the colony, or even the functional grey of Starfleet.  She watched out of the window of the speeder as it carried them onwards,

She still had concerns about the trip, that more or less went without saying.  She knew that her mother would have accepted more or less any potential mate she brought home, and that her father would attempt to haze any other male in her life.  Their reactions had been predictable.  Those of Raynor's father?  Not so much.

Twenty minutes, however, was not a long time, and the speeder was warm with the temperature set high.  She stuck her tongue out at the Klingon.  "Was I l-looking forlorn?  I d-don't believe so."

"Of course not, my beloved. Perish the thought," Raynor smirked, banking a change in direction as the glacial plains rose into higher foothills. The moments sped on by, and eventually a thin plume of greyish smoke could be seen, rising through the trees. "That would be it," he said, keying in the landing sequence.

Once the transport was settled on a wide clearing, Raynor opened the telescoping windscreen, and hopped out. He held out his hand, helping Ilana out as well. A narrow lane, more of a footpath, lead from the clearing to a two-story house. The lane was also lined with pines, their deep green needles sighing softly in the breeze. Raynor shouldered both of their bags, draping his free arm around Ilana's narrow shoulders. Off in the distance, a dull but continuous thud could be heard.
Back to top Go down
Ilana Telak
Ensign
Ensign

Purple Heart

PostSubject: Re: Apples Don't Fall Far From the Tree [Raynor/Ilana]   Apples Don't Fall Far From the Tree [Raynor/Ilana] - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 06, 2015 8:16 pm

Raynor Hughes wrote:
"Of course not, my beloved.  Perish the thought," Raynor smirked, banking a change in direction as the glacial plains rose into higher foothills.  The moments sped on by, and eventually a thin plume of greyish smoke could be seen, rising through the trees.  "That would be it," he said, keying in the landing sequence.

Once the transport was settled on a wide clearing, Raynor opened the telescoping windscreen, and hopped out.  He held out his hand, helping Ilana out as well.  A narrow lane, more of a footpath, lead from the clearing to a two-story house.  The lane was also lined with pines, their deep green needles sighing softly in the breeze.  Raynor shouldered both of their bags, draping his free arm around Ilana's narrow shoulders.  Off in the distance, a dull but continuous thud could be heard.

Raynor brought the speeder to land in a place very isolated from any form of civilisation, much to Ilana's slight surprise. While she didn't like to be in large crowds of people, she still couldn't fathom not being with her family or even the few people she considered to be friends.

The air was cold as she stepped out of the vehicle, prompting the Cardassian to shiver and burrow a little further into her thick coat, glad of the heating pads inside it that she had activated to compensate for her slightly more ectothermic system. She turned to collect her bag, only to find it already slung over the Klingon's shoulder, and then the familiar weight of his arm on her shoulders. She smiled up at him, leaning into his warmth.

Her sub-par hearing didn't pick up on the strange thudding sound, as regular as a heartbeat, until they were quite close to the source. Unsure of what it could be, Ilana pressed a little closer to Raynor, nerves starting to build up in her chest.
Back to top Go down
Raynor Hughes

Raynor Hughes

PostSubject: Re: Apples Don't Fall Far From the Tree [Raynor/Ilana]   Apples Don't Fall Far From the Tree [Raynor/Ilana] - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 06, 2015 8:50 pm

Ilana Telak wrote:

Raynor brought the speeder to land in a place very isolated from any form of civilisation, much to Ilana's slight surprise.  While she didn't like to be in large crowds of people, she still couldn't fathom not being with her family or even the few people she considered to be friends.

The air was cold as she stepped out of the vehicle, prompting the Cardassian to shiver and burrow a little further into her thick coat, glad of the heating pads inside it that she had activated to compensate for her slightly more ectothermic system.  She turned to collect her bag, only to find it already slung over the Klingon's shoulder, and then the familiar weight of his arm on her shoulders.  She smiled up at him, leaning into his warmth.

Her sub-par hearing didn't pick up on the strange thudding sound, as regular as a heartbeat, until they were quite close to the source.  Unsure of what it could be, Ilana pressed a little closer to Raynor, nerves starting to build up in her chest.

Smiling back to the Cardassian, Raynor led them on. The house itself was a fairly simple affair - two stories, made of heavy, hewn logs painted a dark brown, chinked with a white, plaster-like substance. The smoke seen earlier was coming from a stone chimney, and there was a large wrap-around porch. Very much a scene from centuries past, and the house itself stood like a blatant anachronism in the 24th century. It would have blended in with Alaska's days as a frontier, if not for the few modern touches that could be seen with a keen eye, the majority of them betrayed by a blinking light here or there.

That thudding sound, incidentally, was coming from an area off to the side of the porch where a large woodshed stood. A human male of middle years, somewhere north of the mid-fifties, placed a piece of firewood on a large, well-abused stump. His axe swing rent the wood in two, and he bent to pick the pieces up, dusting his hands on the front of his pants. "Hello, boy," the man said, smiling as he buried the axe blade into the stump with a solid thud sound. "I wondered if you'd make it in time for supper." The man clasped Raynor by the forearm in a form of a handshake, and Raynor inclined his head, grinning back. "Father. You look well." Raynor stood nearly half a head taller than his father, and almost twice as wide at the shoulders, but the resemblance was there if one looked hard enough. The man turned to Ilana. "And you must be Dr. Telak. Ray's told me a hell of a lot about you. Welcome."

Apples Don't Fall Far From the Tree [Raynor/Ilana] - Page 7 RaynorsDad_zpsb6140176
Back to top Go down
Ilana Telak
Ensign
Ensign

Purple Heart

PostSubject: Re: Apples Don't Fall Far From the Tree [Raynor/Ilana]   Apples Don't Fall Far From the Tree [Raynor/Ilana] - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 06, 2015 9:00 pm

Raynor Hughes wrote:
Smiling back to the Cardassian, Raynor led them on.  The house itself was a fairly simple affair - two stories, made of heavy, hewn logs painted a dark brown, chinked with a white, plaster-like substance.  The smoke seen earlier was coming from a stone chimney, and there was a large wrap-around porch.  Very much a scene from centuries past, and the house itself stood like a blatant anachronism in the 24th century.  It would have blended in with Alaska's days as a frontier, if not for the few modern touches that could be seen with a keen eye, the majority of them betrayed by a blinking light here or there.  

That thudding sound, incidentally, was coming from an area off to the side of the porch where a large woodshed stood.  A human male of middle years, somewhere north of the mid-fifties, placed a piece of firewood on a large, well-abused stump.  His axe swing rent the wood in two, and he bent to pick the pieces up, dusting his hands on the front of his pants.  "Hello, boy," the man said, smiling as he buried the axe blade into the stump with a solid thud sound.  "I wondered if you'd make it in time for supper."  The man clasped Raynor by the forearm in a form of a handshake, and Raynor inclined his head, grinning back.  "Father.  You look well."  Raynor stood nearly half a head taller than his father, and almost twice as wide at the shoulders, but the resemblance was there if one looked hard enough.  The man turned to Ilana.  "And you must be Dr. Telak.  Ray's told me a hell of a lot about you.  Welcome."

The source of the strange sound soon became apparent in the form of a man chopping logs as the unlikely couple rounded the corner of the house. As he came forward to greet Raynor, Ilana watched him closely, trying to read any early tells on the man's reaction to her, but it was difficult to get any form of information from him.

She inclined her head to him, attempting a smile as he turned to her. She had to try to appear vaguely confident in this manner. Meeting Raynor's only parent shouldn't be that much of a stressful o scary prospect, right? Unfortunately, there was always one element that meant that she could never hide when she was nervous or scared. "P-p-please, c-call m-m-me I-Ilana, M-Mr H-H-Hughes."
Back to top Go down
Raynor Hughes

Raynor Hughes

PostSubject: Re: Apples Don't Fall Far From the Tree [Raynor/Ilana]   Apples Don't Fall Far From the Tree [Raynor/Ilana] - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 07, 2015 7:27 am

Ilana Telak wrote:

The source of the strange sound soon became apparent in the form of a man chopping logs as the unlikely couple rounded the corner of the house.  As he came forward to greet Raynor, Ilana watched him closely, trying to read any early tells on the man's reaction to her, but it was difficult to get any form of information from him.

She inclined her head to him, attempting a smile as he turned to her.  She had to try to appear vaguely confident in this manner.  Meeting Raynor's only parent shouldn't be that much of a stressful o scary prospect, right?  Unfortunately, there was always one element that meant that she could never hide when she was nervous or scared.  "P-p-please, c-call m-m-me I-Ilana, M-Mr H-H-Hughes."

Morgan Hughes smiled back in greeting, somewhat taken aback by the forcefulness of Ilana's stutter. Raynor had, of course, told him about it, but hadn't mentioned more than bare details. The half-Klingon wasn't one for long, involved letters to home. "Ilana it is, then. C'mon in, you can throw your stuff down while I get washed up."

Leading Ilana along, Raynor entered the home that he'd grown up in, the place that he'd called his own before leaving for the Homeworld. True to his nature, Morgan hadn't changed a thing. The walls on the inside were light paneling, and an east-facing picture window would allow in plenty of light in the mornings. There was a large, stone fireplace that crackled. Raynor assumed that his father had put on a few extra logs, knowing Ilana's sensitivity to cold. He also knew that the house was perfectly capable of being heated without combustion, but Morgan preferred it that way. Raynor had spent many hours of his youth, lost in the therapy of a swinging axe.

Raynor smiled at the Cardassian, taking her hand and leading her up a set of stairs. There was a room, rather bare and Spartan-looking, and a bed comprised of hand-hewn frame and spindles. A window allowed a look out at the green tree tops and the distant mountains. "Well. This is my old room." It had a fireplace as well, with a bat'leth mounted above the mantel.
Back to top Go down
Ilana Telak
Ensign
Ensign

Purple Heart

PostSubject: Re: Apples Don't Fall Far From the Tree [Raynor/Ilana]   Apples Don't Fall Far From the Tree [Raynor/Ilana] - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 07, 2015 8:10 am

Raynor Hughes wrote:
Morgan Hughes smiled back in greeting, somewhat taken aback by the forcefulness of Ilana's stutter.  Raynor had, of course, told him about it, but hadn't mentioned more than bare details.  The half-Klingon wasn't one for long, involved letters to home.  "Ilana it is, then.  C'mon in, you can throw your stuff down while I get washed up."

Leading Ilana along, Raynor entered the home that he'd grown up in, the place that he'd called his own before leaving for the Homeworld.  True to his nature, Morgan hadn't changed a thing.  The walls on the inside were light paneling, and an east-facing picture window would allow in plenty of light in the mornings.  There was a large, stone fireplace that crackled.  Raynor assumed that his father had put on a few extra logs, knowing Ilana's sensitivity to cold.  He also knew that the house was perfectly capable of being heated without combustion, but Morgan preferred it that way.  Raynor had spent many hours of his youth, lost in the therapy of a swinging axe.

Raynor smiled at the Cardassian, taking her hand and leading her up a set of stairs.  There was a room, rather bare and Spartan-looking, and a bed comprised of hand-hewn frame and spindles.  A window allowed a look out at the green tree tops and the distant mountains.  "Well.  This is my old room."  It had a fireplace as well, with a bat'leth mounted above the mantel.

Ilana quietly followed Raynor, a blush of embarrassment apparent on her cheeks. She cursed her stammer, still so apparent the moment she got nervous or scared. It seemed to be something that not even the Borg implant could rectify.

The architecture and interior design of the house were things that the Cardassian had never seen before, very different to Cardassian architecture and even the modern human constructions. She looked around with wide eyes, trying to take it all in and store it in her eidetic memory. She also found herself drawn to the fire, pausing in front of it for a moment to absorb the warmth before the light pressure on her hand lead her up a set of stairs.

Raynor's room looked similar to her own back at the colony: functional and bare. This was a room for sleeping and little else. She had to smile at the sight of the bat'leth on the wall though, an appropriate touch for the Klingon's room. A weapon always within reach. She also eyed the bed, making a mental note that they probably shouldn't engage in any of their preferred bedroom activities. They had managed to break a Starfleet issue bed. This one didn't look quite as solid.

Turning to face Raynor, Ilana wrapped her arms around him, hugging him tightly. "Well... s-so far, th-this seems to b-be a little... awkward?"
Back to top Go down
Raynor Hughes

Raynor Hughes

PostSubject: Re: Apples Don't Fall Far From the Tree [Raynor/Ilana]   Apples Don't Fall Far From the Tree [Raynor/Ilana] - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 07, 2015 8:25 am

Ilana Telak wrote:
Ilana quietly followed Raynor, a blush of embarrassment apparent on her cheeks.  She cursed her stammer, still so apparent the moment she got nervous or scared.  It seemed to be something that not even the Borg implant could rectify.

The architecture and interior design of the house were things that the Cardassian had never seen before, very different to Cardassian architecture and even the modern human constructions.  She looked around with wide eyes, trying to take it all in and store it in her eidetic memory.  She also found herself drawn to the fire, pausing in front of it for a moment to absorb the warmth before the light pressure on her hand lead her up a set of stairs.

Raynor's room looked similar to her own back at the colony:  functional and bare.  This was a room for sleeping and little else.  She had to smile at the sight of the bat'leth on the wall though, an appropriate touch for the Klingon's room.  A weapon always within reach.  She also eyed the bed, making a mental note that they probably shouldn't engage in any of their preferred bedroom activities. They had managed to break a Starfleet issue bed.  This one didn't look quite as solid.

Turning to face Raynor, Ilana wrapped her arms around him, hugging him tightly.  "Well... s-so far, th-this seems to b-be a little... awkward?"

Returning the embrace, Raynor nuzzled the Cardassian's neck a little bit, lightly kissing her with a playful grin. "Awkward?" he asked, smoothing back her short hair. "He's been positively friendly with you, so far." Raynor gave a quick chuckle, along with a dismissive wave of his hand. "I exaggerate, of course. But my father is a...laconic...type. Do not feel offended if he is quiet and reserved with you. He's that way to everyone."

He turned to the fireplace, lifting the sword off the mantel. It was as plain and functional as any non-ceremonial bat'leth, but Raynor handled it with enough care that it seemed the very Sword of Kahless himself. A closer inspection would reveal that the metal was scarred on one end, and the tip broken, almost as if it had been burned away by some great force of heat. "I just have the barest of memories of what life was like before she died. I believe...I think my father was more in love with life, back then." Raynor handed Ilana the blade, the sharp crescent pointed downward. "They were able to recover this from the wreckage."
Back to top Go down
Ilana Telak
Ensign
Ensign

Purple Heart

PostSubject: Re: Apples Don't Fall Far From the Tree [Raynor/Ilana]   Apples Don't Fall Far From the Tree [Raynor/Ilana] - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 07, 2015 12:11 pm

Raynor Hughes wrote:
Returning the embrace, Raynor nuzzled the Cardassian's neck a little bit, lightly kissing her with a playful grin.  "Awkward?" he asked, smoothing back her short hair.  "He's been positively friendly with you, so far."  Raynor gave a quick chuckle, along with a dismissive wave of his hand.  "I exaggerate, of course.  But my father is a...laconic...type.  Do not feel offended if he is quiet and reserved with you.  He's that way to everyone."

He turned to the fireplace, lifting the sword off the mantel.  It was as plain and functional as any non-ceremonial bat'leth, but Raynor handled it with enough care that it seemed the very Sword of Kahless himself.  A closer inspection would reveal that the metal was scarred on one end, and the tip broken, almost as if it had been burned away by some great force of heat.  "I just have the barest of memories of what life was like before she died.  I believe...I think my father was more in love with life, back then."  Raynor handed Ilana the blade, the sharp crescent pointed downward.  "They were able to recover this from the wreckage."

"F-f-friendly?" Ilana replied, wide eyed. She wouldn't have termed the man's reaction to her as one that was particularly friendly. Indifferent, perhaps, but not friendly.

She held her hands behind her back as he moved away, picking up the bat'leth, keeping quiet. Sometimes, there were things that you had to say, and this appeared to be one of those times that Raynor wanted to share something with her.

As he handed her the weapon, she realised the significance of it from his words. This had belonged to his mother. She could see that in its lines now, how the grips had been worn by fingers just slightly finer than those of a male Klingon. There was a definite weight in it, more than just the heft of the metal. There was a weight of memory to it as well. The fact that it had been left damaged and not repaired told her that this was no longer a weapon, but a memorial. A monument to his mother and her sacrifice.

Very carefully, she handed it back to the Klingon. "Th-they say that l-losing someone so important in y-your life ch-changes your v-v-very identity," she murmured. "P-perhaps... p-perhaps h-having only a f-few memories of her is b-better."
Back to top Go down
Raynor Hughes

Raynor Hughes

PostSubject: Re: Apples Don't Fall Far From the Tree [Raynor/Ilana]   Apples Don't Fall Far From the Tree [Raynor/Ilana] - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 07, 2015 3:20 pm

Ilana Telak wrote:

"F-f-friendly?" Ilana replied, wide eyed.  She wouldn't have termed the man's reaction to her as one that was particularly friendly.  Indifferent, perhaps, but not friendly.  

She held her hands behind her back as he moved away, picking up the bat'leth, keeping quiet.  Sometimes, there were things that you had to say, and this appeared to be one of those times that Raynor wanted to share something with her.

As he handed her the weapon, she realised the significance of it from his words.  This had belonged to his mother.  She could see that in its lines now, how the grips had been worn by fingers just slightly finer than those of a male Klingon.  There was a definite weight in it, more than just the heft of the metal.  There was a weight of memory to it as well.  The fact that it had been left damaged and not repaired told her that this was no longer a weapon, but a memorial.  A monument to his mother and her sacrifice.

Very carefully, she handed it back to the Klingon.  "Th-they say that l-losing someone so important in y-your life ch-changes your v-v-very identity," she murmured.  "P-perhaps... p-perhaps h-having only a f-few memories of her is b-better."

Raynor took the weapon back as it was handed to him, his expression a mixture of maudlin wistfulness, and adoration for the slight Cardassian. "You are as wise as you are brave, par'Mach'kai. I remember her, but not well. She died when I was young. Perhaps my memories conflate the woman of my heart and the reality of her, but...she has passed into the realm of song, now."

He carefully set the sword back in its holder, stepping away and holding Ilana with an arm around her waist. "I have often thought about taking it with me, but...it seems right to leave it here. Even though she never knew Earth, this is still her family. Her rightful place. I dared not take it back to Qo'noS when I left, lest someone take or destroy it." Raynor's smile was a grim thing, indeed. "What they did to my mind, my body...the pain, the beatings to the brink of death...those things are acceptable. But I could not bear to lose this connection."

Raynor barked a short laugh, shaking his head. "Anyway. This is not pleasant dinner conversation...I'm sorry. Shall we go? I will build a fire, later."
Back to top Go down
Ilana Telak
Ensign
Ensign

Purple Heart

PostSubject: Re: Apples Don't Fall Far From the Tree [Raynor/Ilana]   Apples Don't Fall Far From the Tree [Raynor/Ilana] - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 07, 2015 3:43 pm

Raynor Hughes wrote:
Raynor took the weapon back as it was handed to him, his expression a mixture of maudlin wistfulness, and adoration for the slight Cardassian.  "You are as wise as you are brave, par'Mach'kai.  I remember her, but not well.  She died when I was young.  Perhaps my memories conflate the woman of my heart and the reality of her, but...she has passed into the realm of song, now."

He carefully set the sword back in its holder, stepping away and holding Ilana with an arm around her waist.  "I have often thought about taking it with me, but...it seems right to leave it here.  Even though she never knew Earth, this is still her family.  Her rightful place.  I dared not take it back to Qo'noS when I left, lest someone take or destroy it."  Raynor's smile was a grim thing, indeed.  "What they did to my mind, my body...the pain, the beatings to the brink of death...those things are acceptable.  But I could not bear to lose this connection."

Raynor barked a short laugh, shaking his head.  "Anyway.  This is not pleasant dinner conversation...I'm sorry.  Shall we go?  I will build a fire, later."

"It's s-safe here," Ilana murmured. "T-taking it out into s-space... you w-would always run th-the risk of losing it." Her expression turned dark as he mentioned what she would term as torture back on Qo'nos, but didn't say anything about it. He had never mentioned it before but, as far as she knew, it was probably normal for them. They did seem to be a species quite enamoured of hurting each other. She knew that, if he wanted to tell her more about it, he would. And she would listen.

With the promise of a fire being built in the fireplace later on reassuring the Cardassian, she reached up to give the Klingon a brief kiss on the cheek. "We sh-should probably go d-downstairs before your f-father questions wh-what we're doing up here."
Back to top Go down
Raynor Hughes

Raynor Hughes

PostSubject: Re: Apples Don't Fall Far From the Tree [Raynor/Ilana]   Apples Don't Fall Far From the Tree [Raynor/Ilana] - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 08, 2015 6:50 am

Ilana Telak wrote:

"It's s-safe here," Ilana murmured.  "T-taking it out into s-space... you w-would always run th-the risk of losing it."  Her expression turned dark as he mentioned what she would term as torture back on Qo'nos, but didn't say anything about it.  He had never mentioned it before but, as far as she knew, it was probably normal for them.  They did seem to be a species quite enamoured of hurting each other.  She knew that, if he wanted to tell her more about it, he would.  And she would listen.

With the promise of a fire being built in the fireplace later on reassuring the Cardassian, she reached up to give the Klingon a brief kiss on the cheek.  "We sh-should probably go d-downstairs before your f-father questions wh-what we're doing up here."

"Safe. Aye..." Raynor said, nodding, as he stepped back and considered the sword. "Perhaps a weapon like this does not want to be safe. Perhaps my mother would think less of me for the sentiment. She died well, after all. But...here it stays." He smiled as Ilana kissed his cheek, enveloping her small hand in his own. "Father was mated to a Klingon himself, Lana. He won't suspect what we're doing. He knows he'd be able to hear it," he teased, grinning wickedly. "But, yes. Let's go."

The smell of cooked food filled the house as they descended the stairs. Fish, if Raynor's sense didn't betray him. There was a small dining room off to the side, but the table remained unset. In fact, it looked as if it hadn't been used for years. Instead, Morgan sat at the couch, eating off of the small coffee table. There was another couch on the other side of the table, and the man nodded. "Go ahead and grab your plates and have a seat," he said, looking up to Ilana. "Ray tells me you like fish, so tonight's dinner is citrus-broiled mahimahi, and salad. Don't give me that look, boy," he said, flashing a very familiar grin to Raynor. "I'm sure there'll be steak at some point, too."
Back to top Go down
Ilana Telak
Ensign
Ensign

Purple Heart

PostSubject: Re: Apples Don't Fall Far From the Tree [Raynor/Ilana]   Apples Don't Fall Far From the Tree [Raynor/Ilana] - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 08, 2015 7:31 am

Raynor Hughes wrote:
"Safe.  Aye..." Raynor said, nodding, as he stepped back and considered the sword.  "Perhaps a weapon like this does not want to be safe.  Perhaps my mother would think less of me for the sentiment.  She died well, after all.  But...here it stays."  He smiled as Ilana kissed his cheek, enveloping her small hand in his own.  "Father was mated to a Klingon himself, Lana.  He won't suspect what we're doing.  He knows he'd be able to hear it," he teased, grinning wickedly.  "But, yes.  Let's go."

The smell of cooked food filled the house as they descended the stairs.  Fish, if Raynor's sense didn't betray him.  There was a small dining room off to the side, but the table remained unset.  In fact, it looked as if it hadn't been used for years.  Instead, Morgan sat at the couch, eating off of the small coffee table.  There was another couch on the other side of the table, and the man nodded.  "Go ahead and grab your plates and have a seat," he said, looking up to Ilana.  "Ray tells me you like fish, so tonight's dinner is citrus-broiled mahimahi, and salad.  Don't give me that look, boy," he said, flashing a very familiar grin to Raynor.  "I'm sure there'll be steak at some point, too."

Ilana quite happily followed Raynor down the stairs to the warmth of the lounge where his father was already sitting down to his dinner. Still unable to really get a reading on the man and unsure of how to act, she stuck close to the Klingon as they picked up the plates of food and went to sit down.

"It s-s-smells a-amazing, s-sir," the Cardassian said, offering him a smile as she carefully used her knife and fork with her usual precision to fold and eat a lettuce leaf.
Back to top Go down
Raynor Hughes

Raynor Hughes

PostSubject: Re: Apples Don't Fall Far From the Tree [Raynor/Ilana]   Apples Don't Fall Far From the Tree [Raynor/Ilana] - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 10, 2015 4:03 pm

Ilana Telak wrote:

Ilana quite happily followed Raynor down the stairs to the warmth of the lounge where his father was already sitting down to his dinner.  Still unable to really get a reading on the man and unsure of how to act, she stuck close to the Klingon as they picked up the plates of food and went to sit down.

"It s-s-smells a-amazing, s-sir," the Cardassian said, offering him a smile as she carefully used her knife and fork with her usual precision to fold and eat a lettuce leaf.

"Eh," Morgan said, shrugging. "Didn't do much but punch the buttons on the replicator." He took a long pull of his black coffee, grinning at the Cardassian. "Don't let the rustic environs fool you, doctor. I'm fully stocked in all the modern accouterments...even if I choose not to use most of 'em. But...thanks, nonetheless."

Raynor scooped some of the fish into his mouth via the fork, though he would rather have just picked up the plate. It'd been a long trip, and they'd not taken much time to eat. "I see you've not improved on his table manners, yet," Morgan said to Ilana, quirking an eyebrow. "Not that it'd be anything but a lost cause."
Back to top Go down
Ilana Telak
Ensign
Ensign

Purple Heart

PostSubject: Re: Apples Don't Fall Far From the Tree [Raynor/Ilana]   Apples Don't Fall Far From the Tree [Raynor/Ilana] - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 10, 2015 4:19 pm

Raynor Hughes wrote:
"Eh," Morgan said, shrugging.  "Didn't do much but punch the buttons on the replicator."  He took a long pull of his black coffee, grinning at the Cardassian.  "Don't let the rustic environs fool you, doctor.  I'm fully stocked in all the modern accouterments...even if I choose not to use most of 'em.  But...thanks, nonetheless."

Raynor scooped some of the fish into his mouth via the fork, though he would rather have just picked up the plate.  It'd been a long trip, and they'd not taken much time to eat.  "I see you've not improved on his table manners, yet," Morgan said to Ilana, quirking an eyebrow.  "Not that it'd be anything but a lost cause."

Ilana found her cheeks darkening again as Morgan continued to speak. His actions toward her, as if she were just another human, were a little off putting after the elaborate scenarios her mind had been supplying her on the journey from the colony.

The comment about Raynor's table manners, however, managed to glean a smile from the Cardassian and she looked to her mate, still a little unsure of herself. "W-we d-d-don't s-spend a l-lot of t-t-time eating," she said, hoping to defend him a little, the humour of the situation lost on her. "Or r-rather, he s-s-spends a lot of h-his t-time trying to g-get me to eat."
Back to top Go down
Raynor Hughes

Raynor Hughes

PostSubject: Re: Apples Don't Fall Far From the Tree [Raynor/Ilana]   Apples Don't Fall Far From the Tree [Raynor/Ilana] - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 11, 2015 1:09 am

Ilana Telak wrote:

Ilana found her cheeks darkening again as Morgan continued to speak.  His actions toward her, as if she were just another human, were a little off putting after the elaborate scenarios her mind had been supplying her on the journey from the colony.

The comment about Raynor's table manners, however, managed to glean a smile from the Cardassian and she looked to her mate, still a little unsure of herself.  "W-we d-d-don't s-spend a l-lot of t-t-time eating," she said, hoping to defend him a little, the humour of the situation lost on her.  "Or r-rather, he s-s-spends a lot of h-his t-time trying to g-get me to eat."

You could stand to put on a few more pounds, Morgan thought, but merely smiled and barked a short laugh. "I'm afraid the Hughes men's indifference in the kitchen was passed on to Raynor," he said, chewing a bit of fish. "If not for the replicator, we'd probably have to resort to turning a spit of meat over a fire. Not that Ray'd mind." Morgan cocked an eyebrow at his son, shaking his head. "I swear. This boy? Seemed like all he wanted to do was run naked through the woods. Chasing wolves and barking at the moon, I suppose."

Raynor rolled his eyes, his shoulders shaking with laughter. Here, in this place, wit his father, his Terran side felt closer to the surface. Raynor knew that if he spent much time on Earth then his Klingon nature would fight to re-assert itself. But...for now, for what it was...it felt nice. Comforting.

"The cold was invigorating," Raynor murmured, gathering up a second helping. Morgan reached over and poured some more coffee, his hazel eyes watching Ilana over the cup's rim. As a fifteen-year veteran of the Security and Tactical division, nothing much escaped those eyes. "You seem ill-at-ease, Doctor Telak." It wasn't a question, merely a statement of fact.
Back to top Go down
Ilana Telak
Ensign
Ensign

Purple Heart

PostSubject: Re: Apples Don't Fall Far From the Tree [Raynor/Ilana]   Apples Don't Fall Far From the Tree [Raynor/Ilana] - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 11, 2015 5:40 am

Raynor Hughes wrote:
You could stand to put on a few more pounds, Morgan thought, but merely smiled and barked a short laugh.  "I'm afraid the Hughes men's indifference in the kitchen was passed on to Raynor," he said, chewing a bit of fish.  "If not for the replicator, we'd probably have to resort to turning a spit of meat over a fire.  Not that Ray'd mind."  Morgan cocked an eyebrow at his son, shaking his head.  "I swear.  This boy?  Seemed like all he wanted to do was run naked through the woods.  Chasing wolves and barking at the moon, I suppose."  

Raynor rolled his eyes, his shoulders shaking with laughter.  Here, in this place, wit his father, his Terran side felt closer to the surface.  Raynor knew that if he spent much time on Earth then his Klingon nature would fight to re-assert itself.  But...for now, for what it was...it felt nice.  Comforting.

"The cold was invigorating," Raynor murmured, gathering up a second helping.  Morgan reached over and poured some more coffee, his hazel eyes watching Ilana over the cup's rim.  As a fifteen-year veteran of the Security and Tactical division, nothing much escaped those eyes.  "You seem ill-at-ease, Doctor Telak."  It wasn't a question, merely a statement of fact.

Ilana turned an amused expression to the Klingon next to her as his father spoke about his habits when he had been a teen. She had seen an element of that before, when he had decided to take her onto the holodeck and introduce her to the wilderness of Alaska, having dragged her out of her medical lab on a day that he had deemed her to be working too hard. "Y-yes, I've b-b-been acquainted w-with s-s-something s-similar t-to th-that," she told Morgan, trying not to smile too much in case she offended the Klingon.

As he served himself a second helping of food, the Cardassian found herself setting her own plate aside, unfinished. She had done her best to eat and enjoyed what she had had, but there came a point where she just couldn't eat any more. The plate was, however, emptier than is usually was after a meal.

She found herself looking down at her boots in embarrassment as Morgan managed to call her out exactly on being uneasy in the situation. She had thought that she was doing a better job of hiding it, but the stammer was an inevitable and annoying tell.

"I ap-pologise, M-M-Mr H-Hughes," she said. "I d-d-don't g-get out m-much."
Back to top Go down
Raynor Hughes

Raynor Hughes

PostSubject: Re: Apples Don't Fall Far From the Tree [Raynor/Ilana]   Apples Don't Fall Far From the Tree [Raynor/Ilana] - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 11, 2015 1:21 pm

Ilana Telak wrote:
Ilana turned an amused expression to the Klingon next to her as his father spoke about his habits when he had been a teen.  She had seen an element of that before, when he had decided to take her onto the holodeck and introduce her to the wilderness of Alaska, having dragged her out of her medical lab on a day that he had deemed her to be working too hard.  "Y-yes, I've b-b-been acquainted w-with s-s-something s-similar t-to th-that," she told Morgan, trying not to smile too much in case she offended the Klingon.

As he served himself a second helping of food, the Cardassian found herself setting her own plate aside, unfinished.  She had done her best to eat and enjoyed what she had had, but there came a point where she just couldn't eat any more.  The plate was, however, emptier than is usually was after a meal.

She found herself looking down at her boots in embarrassment as Morgan managed to call her out exactly on being uneasy in the situation.  She had thought that she was doing a better job of hiding it, but the stammer was an inevitable and annoying tell.

"I ap-pologise, M-M-Mr H-Hughes," she said.  "I d-d-don't g-get out m-much."

"Ah," Morgan said, with a wave of his hand. "No need to apologize. I just want you to feel as comfortable as you can, here. This isn't a house full of pretension. Ray and I are pretty straight-forward." Morgan got up and went into the kitchen, bringing a steaming pastry back with him. "Boysenberry pie. A certain dusky-skinned little boy's favorite, if I'm not mis-remembering."

Raynor's cheeks flushed even duskier as his father poked at him. He stared down at his plate, and then to Ilana. "Er...yes. I always enjoyed it." Morgan rolled his eyes and cut the pie. "Piece, Ilana? I won't make you clean your plate before you get one."
Back to top Go down
Ilana Telak
Ensign
Ensign

Purple Heart

PostSubject: Re: Apples Don't Fall Far From the Tree [Raynor/Ilana]   Apples Don't Fall Far From the Tree [Raynor/Ilana] - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 11, 2015 1:47 pm

Raynor Hughes wrote:
"Ah," Morgan said, with a wave of his hand.  "No need to apologize.  I just want you to feel as comfortable as you can, here.  This isn't a house full of pretension.  Ray and I are pretty straight-forward."  Morgan got up and went into the kitchen, bringing a steaming pastry back with him.  "Boysenberry pie.  A certain dusky-skinned little boy's favorite, if I'm not mis-remembering."  

Raynor's cheeks flushed even duskier as his father poked at him.  He stared down at his plate, and then to Ilana.  "Er...yes.  I always enjoyed it."  Morgan rolled his eyes and cut the pie.  "Piece, Ilana?  I won't make you clean your plate before you get one."

Before Ilana could reply to Morgan's reassurances, he got up and returned to the kitchen. She looked back to Raynor for a moment, but was once again distracted by the return of his father with dessert. She looked at the pie and back to the Klingon with a smile, noting his reaction and committing the name to memory so that she might be able to program her replicator to produce something similar if it wasn't already there.

She looked back at the pastry as Morgan offered her a piece and gave the man a slightly uneasy smile. "Th-thank y-y-you f-for th-the offer, b-but I've already e-eaten as m-m-much as I c-can."
Back to top Go down
Raynor Hughes

Raynor Hughes

PostSubject: Re: Apples Don't Fall Far From the Tree [Raynor/Ilana]   Apples Don't Fall Far From the Tree [Raynor/Ilana] - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 11, 2015 2:04 pm

Ilana Telak wrote:

Before Ilana could reply to Morgan's reassurances, he got up and returned to the kitchen.  She looked back to Raynor for a moment, but was once again distracted by the return of his father with dessert.  She looked at the pie and back to the Klingon with a smile, noting his reaction and committing the name to memory so that she might be able to program her replicator to produce something similar if it wasn't already there.

She looked back at the pastry as Morgan offered her a piece and gave the man a slightly uneasy smile.  "Th-thank y-y-you f-for th-the offer, b-but I've already e-eaten as m-m-much as I c-can."

Raynor shrugged, smiling at his father. "Don't take it personally. I can't get her to each much more than that, either," the Klingon said, eagerly accepting his own piece of the pie. It seemed like an eternity since he'd actually eaten pie. The pastry was...a very Terran treat, and he tended to lose touch with that side of his reality when away from Earth. One taste, though, brought it all back...memories of childhood, growing up and running these wilds, even the pies his human grandmother used to make, when she still lived.

"I was an NCO, son," Morgan grinned, taking a drink of coffee. "We made a career out of not taking things personally. It was the only way to stay alive among a sea of officers... no offense," he said, nodding at Ilana. "Ray tells me you're a commissioned officer in Starfleet. Old habits just die hard, I suppose..."
Back to top Go down
Ilana Telak
Ensign
Ensign

Purple Heart

PostSubject: Re: Apples Don't Fall Far From the Tree [Raynor/Ilana]   Apples Don't Fall Far From the Tree [Raynor/Ilana] - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 11, 2015 2:13 pm

Raynor Hughes wrote:
Raynor shrugged, smiling at his father.  "Don't take it personally.  I can't get her to each much more than that, either," the Klingon said, eagerly accepting his own piece of the pie.  It seemed like an eternity since he'd actually eaten pie.  The pastry was...a very Terran treat, and he tended to lose touch with that side of his reality when away from Earth.  One taste, though, brought it all back...memories of childhood, growing up and running these wilds, even the pies his human grandmother used to make, when she still lived.

"I was an NCO, son," Morgan grinned, taking a drink of coffee.  "We made a career out of not taking things personally.  It was the only way to stay alive among a sea of officers... no offense," he said, nodding at Ilana.  "Ray tells me you're a commissioned officer in Starfleet.  Old habits just die hard, I suppose..."

It was always an interesting experience to watch Raynor interact with his food. There were times that he would tear into it with all the ferocity of a starved targ and then there were others when he would actually savour his food. The contrast was fascinating.

She neatly crossed her legs, one knee over the other, and folded her hands in her lap. "Th-that's r-right, M-Mr H-H-Hughes," she replied. "B-But I'm a d-doctor b-b-before an officer."
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Apples Don't Fall Far From the Tree [Raynor/Ilana]   Apples Don't Fall Far From the Tree [Raynor/Ilana] - Page 7 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Apples Don't Fall Far From the Tree [Raynor/Ilana]
Page 7 of 9Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next