Aurora Fleet
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Current Year: 2379

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» *poking the fleet part deux*
Apples Don't Fall Far From the Tree [Raynor/Ilana] - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeby Archangel T'Koris Thu Jul 15, 2021 12:57 pm

» Isn't this a fine kettle of fish?
Apples Don't Fall Far From the Tree [Raynor/Ilana] - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeby Archangel T'Koris Sat Dec 17, 2016 5:36 am

» *pokes the fleet*
Apples Don't Fall Far From the Tree [Raynor/Ilana] - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeby Julia Rellek Sat Nov 12, 2016 12:23 am

» Hrafn is back (sort of)
Apples Don't Fall Far From the Tree [Raynor/Ilana] - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeby Archangel T'Koris Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:00 pm

» Merger
Apples Don't Fall Far From the Tree [Raynor/Ilana] - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeby Archangel T'Koris Fri May 06, 2016 7:04 pm

» Uninvited Guests [Zero / Leela]
Apples Don't Fall Far From the Tree [Raynor/Ilana] - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeby Zero Alpha Wed May 04, 2016 4:50 pm

» Seeing Clearly
Apples Don't Fall Far From the Tree [Raynor/Ilana] - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeby Archangel T'Koris Wed May 04, 2016 4:42 pm

» Season 2, Mission 2: Light the Way
Apples Don't Fall Far From the Tree [Raynor/Ilana] - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeby Elena Tarunt Tue May 03, 2016 10:37 pm

» FACECLAIMS
Apples Don't Fall Far From the Tree [Raynor/Ilana] - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeby Guest Tue May 03, 2016 12:24 pm

» Application:John Brown
Apples Don't Fall Far From the Tree [Raynor/Ilana] - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeby Julia Rellek Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:08 am

Affiliates

Apples Don't Fall Far From the Tree [Raynor/Ilana]

Go down 
3 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
AuthorMessage
Ilana Telak
Ensign
Ensign

Purple Heart
Participated in the first mission

Apples Don't Fall Far From the Tree [Raynor/Ilana] - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Apples Don't Fall Far From the Tree [Raynor/Ilana]   Apples Don't Fall Far From the Tree [Raynor/Ilana] - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 19, 2015 2:37 pm

Raynor Hughes wrote:

"Everyone's wary of me to start with," he grinned, returning her kiss.  It was fortunate that some of his formative years had been spent among humans, and he knew there were dozens of different types of kisses.  Most Klingons ones drew blood, or were the first  sanguinary step.  "And after some time, most are still wary of me."

He was making light, but Raynor was genuinely concerned.  While he gave no damn what any man or beast thought of him, he knew that Ilana's family would likely be disappointed in him...and that was something that he did not wish for her to have to go through.  "We should be coming up on our destination very soon," he said, slicking back his dark hair and tying it into a tight tail.  Raynor slipped into the pilot's seat, re-checking his readings.  "Yes.  ETA of about ten minutes.  In fact...ah."

The console was blinking from an incoming message from the colony's command control center.  "Apparently, they've seen us.  Shall we put you on-screen, so they don't think this is an act of war?"

Ilana wanted to reassure the Klingon, but she was at a loss as to how to go about it. She reached out to touch his arm, trying to convey some form of gratitude and reassurance. Before she could say anything, however, the console started to blink at them to signal an incoming message.

She smoothed a hand over her hair, hoping to bring it into some semblance of order before offering Raynor a faint smile and opening a channel to the surface of the planet. A male Cardassian who seemed to be about Ilana's age appeared on the viewscreen, looking suspicious until he caught sight of Ilana, when a wide smile broke over his face.

"Ilana! It's good to see you!"

"Tajor, it's b-been a long t-t-time," she replied warmly. "I th-thought I'd use my l-l-leave to v-visit the c-c-colony, and b-bring a friend."

"Of course, transmitting landing coordinates to you now!"

"S-see you soon."

Closing the channel, Ilana smiled openly at Raynor, the joy at being back home starting to shine though on her face.
Back to top Go down
Raynor Hughes

Raynor Hughes

Completed Plot and Bio Page

PostSubject: Re: Apples Don't Fall Far From the Tree [Raynor/Ilana]   Apples Don't Fall Far From the Tree [Raynor/Ilana] - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 19, 2015 11:02 pm

Ilana Telak wrote:
Ilana wanted to reassure the Klingon, but she was at a loss as to how to go about it.  She reached out to touch his arm, trying to convey some form of gratitude and reassurance.  Before she could say anything, however, the console started to blink at them to signal an incoming message.

She smoothed a hand over her hair, hoping to bring it into some semblance of order before offering Raynor a faint smile and opening a channel to the surface of the planet.  A male Cardassian who seemed to be about Ilana's age appeared on the viewscreen, looking suspicious until he caught sight of Ilana, when a wide smile broke over his face.

"Ilana!  It's good to see you!"

"Tajor, it's b-been a long t-t-time," she replied warmly.  "I th-thought I'd use my l-l-leave to v-visit the c-c-colony, and b-bring a friend."

"Of course, transmitting landing coordinates to you now!"

"S-see you soon."

Closing the channel, Ilana smiled openly at Raynor, the joy at being back home starting to shine though on her face.

Sitting quietly, Raynor watched the interaction between Ilana and the man that was, apparently, one of her friends. They seemed to be quite well-acquainted with one another. A very small, almost infinitesimal part of Raynor hoped the boy was just a cousin, or something. Fool, he thought, chastising himself. She came here to re-connect with her past...and to introduce you as her future. Do not lose sight of that.

The Klingon returned her happy smile, the beaming look on her face enough to banish away any doubts he entertained. She seemed ready to practically bounce out of the chair. "Let's not keep them waiting, then, dear doctor."

With the landing procedures taken care of by the auto-tractors of the spaceport, Raynor picked up his lone duffel sack, shouldering on his old, green coat. "Not too late, Lana," he grinned, kissing her as he slipped his arm around her lower back. "You can always pretend that I'm your man-servant or something." He kissed her again. "Perhaps I even am..."
Back to top Go down
Ilana Telak
Ensign
Ensign

Purple Heart

PostSubject: Re: Apples Don't Fall Far From the Tree [Raynor/Ilana]   Apples Don't Fall Far From the Tree [Raynor/Ilana] - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 20, 2015 12:12 pm

Raynor Hughes wrote:

Sitting quietly, Raynor watched the interaction between Ilana and the man that was, apparently, one of her friends.  They seemed to be quite well-acquainted with one another.  A very small, almost infinitesimal part of Raynor hoped the boy was just a cousin, or something.  Fool, he thought, chastising himself.  She came here to re-connect with her past...and to introduce you as her future.  Do not lose sight of that.

The Klingon returned her happy smile, the beaming look on her face enough to banish away any doubts he entertained.  She seemed ready to practically bounce out of the chair.  "Let's not keep them waiting, then, dear doctor."  

With the landing procedures taken care of by the auto-tractors of the spaceport, Raynor picked up his lone duffel sack, shouldering on his old, green coat.  "Not too late, Lana," he grinned, kissing her as he slipped his arm around her lower back.  "You can always pretend that I'm your man-servant or something."  He kissed her again.  "Perhaps I even am..."

Slipping the strap of her duffle onto her shoulder, Ilana looked up at Raynor, her expression softening. Se wasn't all that good at reading his expressions yet, but she thought that she could see something there, some form of discontent with the situation. She laid a hand on his arm in an attempt to reassure him, but it turned into an elbow to the ribs as he spoke again.

"I c-can't imagine a K-Klingon being a m-manservant," she replied, rolling her eyes before stepping out of the shuttle. "I b-b-bodyguard, maybe, but n-not a manservant."

The colony, still in its infancy, was little more than a rural town with a tiny space port added on to the edge of it. Tension seemed to leave Ilana's shoulders as she stepped out into the hot air, reveling in the warmth, so far from the chill she felt on Starfleet establishments. Waiting beyond the limits of the space port, two Cardassians waved to her and she took off at a run, laughing as she all but slammed into the male with a hug. He hugged her back, easily lifting her and spinning her around before putting her down so that she could hug the other female Cardassian. She then turned to Raynor, a happy flush on her face.

"Mother, Daddy, this is Lieutenant Raynor Hughes of the KDF. Raynor, these are my parents!"

The male Cardassian did not look particularly amused as he surveyed the Klingon. While he wasn't wearing military uniform, Ilana's father still had the bearing that defined many a career military officer. Her mother, on the other hand, had a warmer expression on her face and was quiet slender in comparison, more suited to the home than the starship.

"Mr Hughes," she said, smiling at the Klingon. "Ilana's told us a lot about you in her letters home. Please, call me Kattel. This is my husband, Vonar. We're both very pleased to meet you at last."

Back to top Go down
Raynor Hughes

Raynor Hughes

PostSubject: Re: Apples Don't Fall Far From the Tree [Raynor/Ilana]   Apples Don't Fall Far From the Tree [Raynor/Ilana] - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 20, 2015 3:06 pm

[Colony World]

Raynor stretched a little as he stepped out of the runabout, enjoying the open air. It was warm and pleasant, and not at all recycled. He couldn't help but note how Ilana took to it like a flower opening herself up to the sun. It made him smile.

That smiled ghosted back to an expression of neutrality as they approached a group of Cardassians. He glanced around at the village, giving an appreciative eye toward the bucolic nature of it. Growing up in the wilds of Alaska, Raynor could understand the desire toward a simpler way of life.

"Good afternoon," Raynor said, his tone even, mixed slightly with a touch of wariness. Even if he hadn't know that Ilana's father was a career military man, the Klingon could have practically smelled it on him. He was spared the man's obvious displeasure by the comparatively cheerful nature of Ilana's mother. "Mr. and Mrs. Telak," he said, nodding in greeting. "Ilana has spoken often, and highly, of you as well." It felt strange calling her by her full name out loud, but it also seemed appropriate.
Back to top Go down
Ilana Telak
Ensign
Ensign

Purple Heart

PostSubject: Re: Apples Don't Fall Far From the Tree [Raynor/Ilana]   Apples Don't Fall Far From the Tree [Raynor/Ilana] - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 20, 2015 3:28 pm

Raynor Hughes wrote:
[Colony World]

Raynor stretched a little as he stepped out of the runabout, enjoying the open air.  It was warm and pleasant, and not at all recycled.  He couldn't help but note how Ilana took to it like a flower opening herself up to the sun.  It made him smile.

That smiled ghosted back to an expression of neutrality as they approached a group of Cardassians.  He glanced around at the village, giving an appreciative eye toward the bucolic nature of it.  Growing up in the wilds of Alaska, Raynor could understand the desire toward a simpler way of life.  

"Good afternoon," Raynor said, his tone even, mixed slightly with a touch of wariness.  Even if he hadn't know that Ilana's father was a career military man, the Klingon could have practically smelled it on him.  He was spared the man's obvious displeasure by the comparatively cheerful nature of Ilana's mother. "Mr. and Mrs. Telak," he said, nodding in greeting.  "Ilana has spoken often, and highly, of you as well."  It felt strange calling her by her full name out loud, but it also seemed appropriate.

Hearing the wariness in Raynor's tone and knowing that it wasn't normal, Ilana stepped closer to the Klingon, taking his hand and squeezing it gently. She knew that he father could be quite abrasive in his mannerisms sometimes, but she also knew that it didn't come from any particular dislike for Raynor himself, just the fact that he was with Ilana.

Kattel, thankfully, didn't seem to have any such problems. She smiled openly at her daughter and Raynor, gesturing with one hand along the quiet street. "I've prepared some refreshments back home. I thought that given the length of your journey, you might appreciate something to eat and drink. I've also prepared rooms for you, so don't worry about that," she said, starting to move off with her husband along the street, expecting Ilana and Raynor to follow them.

"I have to admit, Mr Hughes, I didn't know what to expect when Ilana told me that her best friend was a Klingon," Kattel continued. "I was a little worried, of course, but she assured me that you're quite the gentleman."
Back to top Go down
Raynor Hughes

Raynor Hughes

PostSubject: Re: Apples Don't Fall Far From the Tree [Raynor/Ilana]   Apples Don't Fall Far From the Tree [Raynor/Ilana] - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 20, 2015 3:53 pm

Ilana Telak wrote:

Hearing the wariness in Raynor's tone and knowing that it wasn't normal, Ilana stepped closer to the Klingon, taking his hand and squeezing it gently.  She knew that he father could be quite abrasive in his mannerisms sometimes, but she also knew that it didn't come from any particular dislike for Raynor himself, just the fact that he was with Ilana.

Kattel, thankfully, didn't seem to have any such problems.  She smiled openly at her daughter and Raynor, gesturing with one hand along the quiet street.  "I've prepared some refreshments back home.  I thought that given the length of your journey, you might appreciate something to eat and drink.  I've also prepared rooms for you, so don't worry about that," she said, starting to move off with her husband along the street, expecting Ilana and Raynor to follow them.

"I have to admit, Mr Hughes, I didn't know what to expect when Ilana told me that her best friend was a Klingon," Kattel continued.  "I was a little worried, of course, but she assured me that you're quite the gentleman."

Friend?  Well.  Perhaps Ilana's family hadn't received the latest news about their relationship.  It was the kind of news that he would have to allow her to break to them, however.  Raynor feared nothing - pain, death, anything - but...he really wasn't looking forward to that conversation.

It'd happen soon, though.  A good day to die.  Given the flat stares that Vonar was daggering at Raynor...he wondered who the Cardassian was hoping would be the one to die.  

"I have known a few gentlemen in my day," Raynor said, flashing a grin at the woman.  "Your daughter is far too kind, though I appreciate it...and the meal.  We didn't get a chance to make anything on the ride over."  Not that he was about to get into those details.
Back to top Go down
Ilana Telak
Ensign
Ensign

Purple Heart

PostSubject: Re: Apples Don't Fall Far From the Tree [Raynor/Ilana]   Apples Don't Fall Far From the Tree [Raynor/Ilana] - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 20, 2015 4:06 pm

Raynor Hughes wrote:

Friend?  Well.  Perhaps Ilana's family hadn't received the latest news about their relationship.  It was the kind of news that he would have to allow her to break to them, however.  Raynor feared nothing - pain, death, anything - but...he really wasn't looking forward to that conversation.

It'd happen soon, though.  A good day to die.  Given the flat stares that Vonar was daggering at Raynor...he wondered who the Cardassian was hoping would be the one to die.  

"I have known a few gentlemen in my day," Raynor said, flashing a grin at the woman.  "Your daughter is far too kind, though I appreciate it...and the meal.  We didn't get a chance to make anything on the ride over."  Not that he was about to get into those details.

The walk to the Telak residence was a short one, leading them to a large, open plan house very inkeeping with Cardassian architecture. Many of the large windows appeared to have benches under them to catch the sun's rays, creating the perfect area for any Cardassian to sun themselves, much like Ilana tried to do with the heat lamp in her quarters.

"Ilana, come and help me with the food," Kattel said, smiling at her daughter before addressing her husband. "Vonar, why don't you take Mr Hughes into the sun room and settle down? We'll be through in a moment. Oh! Mr Hughes, do let me know if it gets too hot for you. We do tend to like our heat, but it can be a little overwhelming for other species."

With that, Kattel bustled off with her daughter, leaving Raynor to Vonar's hospitality. The former soldier indicated a wide arch leading into what appeared to be a sitting room where he took a seat and observed the Klingon over the top of his interlaced fingers.
Back to top Go down
Raynor Hughes

Raynor Hughes

PostSubject: Re: Apples Don't Fall Far From the Tree [Raynor/Ilana]   Apples Don't Fall Far From the Tree [Raynor/Ilana] - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 20, 2015 4:23 pm

Ilana Telak wrote:

The walk to the Telak residence was a short one, leading them to a large, open plan house very inkeeping with Cardassian architecture.  Many of the large windows appeared to have benches under them to catch the sun's rays, creating the perfect area for any Cardassian to sun themselves, much like Ilana tried to do with the heat lamp in her quarters.

"Ilana, come and help me with the food," Kattel said, smiling at her daughter before addressing her husband.  "Vonar, why don't you take Mr Hughes into the sun room and settle down?  We'll be through in a moment.  Oh!  Mr Hughes, do let me know if it gets too hot for you.  We do tend to like our heat, but it can be a little overwhelming for other species."

With that, Kattel bustled off with her daughter, leaving Raynor to Vonar's hospitality.  The former soldier indicated a wide arch leading into what appeared to be a sitting room where he took a seat and observed the Klingon over the top of his interlaced fingers.

Raynor gave a small smile as he walked alongside Ilana, noticing how she practically beamed in the bright rays of the sun. It almost seemed criminal that she have to return to the coldness of space and the artificial light and heat of the Athena.

Her father still remained silent as they entered the home, walking as if he had a rod of steel jammed in his spine. Raynor had noted many times, especially during the late war, the difference between Cardassian and Klingon warriors. The Cardies had lacked the outright ferocity of a Klingon...but their intensity was of a more quiet kind. The kind that built until it exploded. Raynor wondered if Vonar was building to that point.

The Klingon followed Vonar into the sitting room, something tickling at the back of his memory that, in Terran tradition at least, this was a part of the usual 'meet the family' ritual. He took a seat, sitting in silence, trading blank expressions with his par'Mach'kai's father.

"Nice house."
Back to top Go down
Ilana Telak
Ensign
Ensign

Purple Heart

PostSubject: Re: Apples Don't Fall Far From the Tree [Raynor/Ilana]   Apples Don't Fall Far From the Tree [Raynor/Ilana] - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 20, 2015 4:40 pm

Raynor Hughes wrote:

Raynor gave a small smile as he walked alongside Ilana, noticing how she practically beamed in the bright rays of the sun.  It almost seemed criminal that she have to return to the coldness of space and the artificial light and heat of the Athena.

Her father still remained silent as they entered the home, walking as if he had a rod of steel jammed in his spine.  Raynor had noted many times, especially during the late war, the difference between Cardassian and Klingon warriors.  The Cardies had lacked the outright ferocity of a Klingon...but their intensity was of a more quiet kind.  The kind that built until it exploded.  Raynor wondered if Vonar was building to that point.

The Klingon followed Vonar into the sitting room, something tickling at the back of his memory that, in Terran tradition at least, this was a part of the usual 'meet the family' ritual.  He took a seat, sitting in silence, trading blank expressions with his par'Mach'kai's father.

"Nice house."

Vonar inclined his head to the Klingon.  "Thank you.  I built it myself.  Starfleet may have provided us with the basics of a colony, but it takes much more than that to make a home," he said, continuing to observe Raynor over the top of his fingers.  His green eyes, the same ones that Ilana had inherited from him, gave little away, although they flicked to the arch as if to make sure that they weren't about to be disturbed.  "Family is everything to a Cardassian, Mr Hughes.  Most Cardassians of my age have at least four children, perhaps even grandchildren."  He leaned forward in his chair, his gaze not wavering from the Klingon.  "Ilana is my only remaining daughter.  I have and will take down anyone who threatens her wellbeing or happiness."
Back to top Go down
Raynor Hughes

Raynor Hughes

PostSubject: Re: Apples Don't Fall Far From the Tree [Raynor/Ilana]   Apples Don't Fall Far From the Tree [Raynor/Ilana] - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 20, 2015 5:14 pm

Ilana Telak wrote:

Vonar inclined his head to the Klingon.  "Thank you.  I built it myself.  Starfleet may have provided us with the basics of a colony, but it takes much more than that to make a home," he said, continuing to observe Raynor over the top of his fingers.  His green eyes, the same ones that Ilana had inherited from him, gave little away, although they flicked to the arch as if to make sure that they weren't about to be disturbed.  "Family is everything to a Cardassian, Mr Hughes.  Most Cardassians of my age have at least four children, perhaps even grandchildren."  He leaned forward in his chair, his gaze not wavering from the Klingon.  "Ilana is my only remaining daughter.  I have and will take down anyone who threatens her wellbeing or happiness."

Ah. Here we go. Raynor had been waiting for them to get to this point, and he appreciated Vonar's cutting to the chase. Or...close enough to it. Cardassians were nothing if not precise.

"I am pleased to hear that we are, indeed, on the same page when it comes to her, then," he said, folding his hands into his lap. It was done mainly in an effort to keep them from clenching into fists. He thought back to the times he'd thrown his life into peril to protect hers...the times he'd skirted insubordination with officers that hadn't shown her enough respect. "I am also pleased to hear that were are of a like mind, Mr. Telak. Your daughter has earned the respect of her peers, and is a benefit to her profession...and Starfleet."
Back to top Go down
Ilana Telak
Ensign
Ensign

Purple Heart

PostSubject: Re: Apples Don't Fall Far From the Tree [Raynor/Ilana]   Apples Don't Fall Far From the Tree [Raynor/Ilana] - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 20, 2015 5:29 pm

Raynor Hughes wrote:

Ah.  Here we go.  Raynor had been waiting for them to get to this point, and he appreciated Vonar's cutting to the chase.  Or...close enough to it.  Cardassians were nothing if not precise.

"I am pleased to hear that we are, indeed, on the same page when it comes to her, then," he said, folding his hands into his lap.  It was done mainly in an effort to keep them from clenching into fists.  He thought back to the times he'd thrown his life into peril to protect hers...the times he'd skirted insubordination with officers that hadn't shown her enough respect.  "I am also pleased to hear that were are of a like mind, Mr. Telak.  Your daughter has earned the respect of her peers, and is a benefit to her profession...and Starfleet."

"I am aware of Ilana's career progress. She keeps us updated with her regular letters back to the colony," Vonar replied, apparently brushing off the Klingon's words. "What concerns me more... is you"

He sat back in his chair again, observing Raynor. "To be frank, Klingons are not known for their finesse, especially in their relationships with others. Ilana is not very strong..." he glanced once again at the arch out of the lounge, back toward where his wife and his daughter were apparently occupied in the kitchen. "I suspect she has been neglecting her health yet again. She was rather light..." Shaking himself out of those thoughts, he zeroed back in on his target. "In one of her letters, she mentioned an incident in which you did her considerable harm."
Back to top Go down
Raynor Hughes

Raynor Hughes

PostSubject: Re: Apples Don't Fall Far From the Tree [Raynor/Ilana]   Apples Don't Fall Far From the Tree [Raynor/Ilana] - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 20, 2015 5:47 pm

Ilana Telak wrote:

"I am aware of Ilana's career progress.  She keeps us updated with her regular letters back to the colony," Vonar replied, apparently brushing off the Klingon's words.  "What concerns me more... is you"

He sat back in his chair again, observing Raynor.  "To be frank, Klingons are not known for their finesse, especially in their relationships with others.  Ilana is not very strong..." he glanced once again at the arch out of the lounge, back toward where his wife and his daughter were apparently occupied in the kitchen.  "I suspect she has been neglecting her health yet again.  She was rather light..."  Shaking himself out of those thoughts, he zeroed back in on his target.  "In one of her letters, she mentioned an incident in which you did her considerable harm."

Raynor wished for a moment that his people hadn't slain all their gods aeons ago, so he would have someone to thank for his Klingon stoicism. It helped him from having his eyes bug out at Vonar's blunt statement. Not the fact that he said it, but the fact that Ilana had told her father what had happened between them...

Sighing, Raynor leaned back in the seat, resting his leg across the other, silent for a moment. "It is right that I concern you. I am Klingon. All are right to fear, and be intimidated by us. In that, there can be no shame." He shrugged, cocking an eyebrow. "As for Ilana's health, believe me when I say that it is a primary concern when we are together, and in her daily life. She is eating better."

He scratched his chin, surprised not to see the usual small goatee there. Raynor had shaved on the way over, in order to make himself less threatening-looking. "Ilana tells me that you are in the military."
Back to top Go down
Ilana Telak
Ensign
Ensign

Purple Heart

PostSubject: Re: Apples Don't Fall Far From the Tree [Raynor/Ilana]   Apples Don't Fall Far From the Tree [Raynor/Ilana] - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 20, 2015 6:01 pm

Raynor Hughes wrote:

Raynor wished for a moment that his people hadn't slain all their gods aeons ago, so he would have someone to thank for his Klingon stoicism.  It helped him from having his eyes bug out at Vonar's blunt statement.  Not the fact that he said it, but the fact that Ilana had told her father what had happened between them...

Sighing, Raynor leaned back in the seat, resting his leg across the other, silent for a moment.  "It is right that I concern you.  I am Klingon.  All are right to fear, and be intimidated by us.  In that, there can be no shame."  He shrugged, cocking an eyebrow.  "As for Ilana's health, believe me when I say that it is a primary concern when we are together, and in her daily life.  She is eating better."

He scratched his chin, surprised not to see the usual small goatee there.  Raynor had shaved on the way over, in order to make himself less threatening-looking.  "Ilana tells me that you are in the military."

There was a slight smirk at the corners of Vonar's mouth as he regarded the Klingon's expression. He was good, but the training afforded a Cardassian military officer was better. There were very small tells there.

"Make no mistake. I have faced Klingons in my time and fear was not the emotion I experienced. However, Ilana does not seem to share my concerns for her wellbeing."

The question about his military career brought a faint look of amusement to the Cardassian's face. "Indeed. I was a Gul in the Cardassian military, responsible for a district of the Bajoran homeworld before I chose to put my family before my career."
Back to top Go down
Raynor Hughes

Raynor Hughes

PostSubject: Re: Apples Don't Fall Far From the Tree [Raynor/Ilana]   Apples Don't Fall Far From the Tree [Raynor/Ilana] - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 20, 2015 6:23 pm

Ilana Telak wrote:
There was a slight smirk at the corners of Vonar's mouth as he regarded the Klingon's expression.  He was good, but the training afforded a Cardassian military officer was better.  There were very small tells there.  

"Make no mistake.  I have faced Klingons in my time and fear was not the emotion I experienced.  However, Ilana does not seem to share my concerns for her wellbeing."  

The question about his military career brought a faint look of amusement to the Cardassian's face.  "Indeed.  I was a Gul in the Cardassian military, responsible for a district of the Bajoran homeworld before I chose to put my family before my career."

Raynor nodded. A Gul, huh? As a warrior himself, he understood that Vonar was simply stating facts, and not bragging. Unlike most members of the Federation (and just about every Bajoran), Raynor was not inclined to dislike Cardassians just because they had been an occupying force on Bajor. He was from the Klingon Empire, after all.

Suddenly, the Klingon barked a laugh, standing out of the chair and walking over to the window, hands clasped behind his back as he watched a few of the small neighborhood children playing in the road, throwing sticks and tossing an anti-grav disc.

"We are men of war, are we not? Let us not play with words like equivocating petaQ. It is below both of us." He turned to the Cardassian, nodding. "Ilana is foolish with her health, at times. Whether or not my being a part of that life is a continuation of that foolishness is up for debate...which I doubt we will have now, in this room, so let us drop it." He glanced over toward the kitchen area, keeping his voice low but no less firm. "She is a doctor, as am I. While she may lack the life experience of multiple relationships, she more than makes up for it in intelligence and reasoning." Except for when she chooses to ignore her own health...
Back to top Go down
Ilana Telak
Ensign
Ensign

Purple Heart

PostSubject: Re: Apples Don't Fall Far From the Tree [Raynor/Ilana]   Apples Don't Fall Far From the Tree [Raynor/Ilana] - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 20, 2015 6:37 pm

Raynor Hughes wrote:

Raynor nodded.  A Gul, huh?  As a warrior himself, he understood that Vonar was simply stating facts, and not bragging.  Unlike most members of the Federation (and just about every Bajoran), Raynor was not inclined to dislike Cardassians just because they had been an occupying force on Bajor.  He was from the Klingon Empire, after all.

Suddenly, the Klingon barked a laugh, standing out of the chair and walking over to the window, hands clasped behind his back as he watched a few of the small neighborhood children playing in the road, throwing sticks and tossing an anti-grav disc.

"We are men of war, are we not?  Let us not play with words like equivocating petaQ.  It is below both of us."  He turned to the Cardassian, nodding.  "Ilana is foolish with her health, at times.  Whether or not my being a part of that life is a continuation of that foolishness is up for debate...which I doubt we will have now, in this room, so let us drop it."  He glanced over toward the kitchen area, keeping his voice low but no less firm.  "She is a doctor, as am I.  While she may lack the life experience of multiple relationships, she more than makes up for it in intelligence and reasoning."  Except for when she chooses to ignore her own health...

For a moment, Vonar simply observed the Klingon in his lounge. Men of war, they were indeed. As much as Vonar was settling back into civilian life, one did not just turn off the soldier inside, especially not one as well established as the one in Vonar's heart.

"She has told us about the care you offer her, more often than not complaining that she can never get any work done when you're around. I will be clear: I do not approve of this relationship you are building together. However, if it is what makes Ilana happy, then I will bow out gracefully. I refuse to become a source of unhappiness in her life when she has already experienced more than I would wish even on an enemy." He then raised his voice ever so slightly. "Which is why she shouldn't skulk around the corner like a Romulan spy."

Looking slightly guilty at having been caught, Ilana walked into the room with a tea tray in her hands, closely followed by her mother. The younger Cardassian offered Raynor a smile as she set the tray down on the low table, moving over to stand next to him, touching the fingertips of one hand to his arm. Kattel was also smiling as she looked at the pair, standing next to her husband with one hand on his shoulder.

"Can I offer you some tea, Mr Hughes?" she asked, her tone still warm, as if she was already addressing a member of the family.
Back to top Go down
Raynor Hughes

Raynor Hughes

PostSubject: Re: Apples Don't Fall Far From the Tree [Raynor/Ilana]   Apples Don't Fall Far From the Tree [Raynor/Ilana] - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 21, 2015 12:55 am

Raynor cocked one upswept eyebrow in the Cardassian's direction. The man's approval, while desired for Ilana's sake, was certainly not necessary, nor was it the purpose of this trip. He was just about to tell Vonar as much when the man suddenly turned, revealing the skulking form of the woman in question.

He had to admit, he'd been so focused on the conversation that he'd let his instincts slip and hadn't heard Ilana. Raynor inclined his head slightly in Vanor's direction, a tacit acknowledgement of his abilities, which were apparently kept sharp. The Klingon genuinely wondered what it would have been like to have met the man in the field.

"Ah. Yes, ma'am," Raynor said, smiling at Ilana as she touched his arm. "Tea will be fine. Redleaf, I presume? I have developed a taste for it." And other things Cardassian, he thought, but wisely kept that line to himself.
Back to top Go down
Ilana Telak
Ensign
Ensign

Purple Heart

PostSubject: Re: Apples Don't Fall Far From the Tree [Raynor/Ilana]   Apples Don't Fall Far From the Tree [Raynor/Ilana] - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 21, 2015 3:01 am

Raynor Hughes wrote:
Raynor cocked one upswept eyebrow in the Cardassian's direction.  The man's approval, while desired for Ilana's sake, was certainly not necessary, nor was it the purpose of this trip.  He was just about to tell Vonar as much when the man suddenly turned, revealing the skulking form of the woman in question.  

He had to admit, he'd been so focused on the conversation that he'd let his instincts slip and hadn't heard Ilana.  Raynor inclined his head slightly in Vanor's direction, a tacit acknowledgement of his abilities, which were apparently kept sharp.  The Klingon genuinely wondered what it would have been like to have met the man in the field.  

"Ah.  Yes, ma'am," Raynor said, smiling at Ilana as she touched his arm.  "Tea will be fine.  Redleaf, I presume?  I have developed a taste for it."  And other things Cardassian, he thought, but wisely kept that line to himself.

A cup of tea was quickly poured and handed to Raynor, with more cups being distributed to Ilana and Vonar before Kattel settled on one of the couches.

"So, Mr Hughes, Ilana tells me that you're in the science division. Forgive my curiosity, but that seems like a strange department for a Klingon to join," Kattel said, apparently trying to get some conversation going now that Vonar was apparently more occupied with his tea.
Back to top Go down
Raynor Hughes

Raynor Hughes

PostSubject: Re: Apples Don't Fall Far From the Tree [Raynor/Ilana]   Apples Don't Fall Far From the Tree [Raynor/Ilana] - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 21, 2015 2:49 pm

Ilana Telak wrote:

A cup of tea was quickly poured and handed to Raynor, with more cups being distributed to Ilana and Vonar before Kattel settled on one of the couches.  

"So, Mr Hughes, Ilana tells me that you're in the science division.  Forgive my curiosity, but that seems like a strange department for a Klingon to join," Kattel said, apparently trying to get some conversation going now that Vonar was apparently more occupied with his tea.

Now Raynor could see where most of Ilana's gentle temperament came from. While he adoration for her father was obvious, she tended to take after the mother. Raynor glanced back over at Vonar, who was still watching him over the rim of his teacup. It wasn't that he blamed the man. Hell, if Raynor had a child, would he want them bringing someone like him home? Likely not. Ilana made him a better person, yes, but still...

"You needn't ask forgiveness for speaking a truth," he said, setting his cup down on the center table. "The Warrior caste has ruled the Empire for so long, the Thinking set often get ignored. It is an unfortunate reality that many in the High Council only look toward the sciences that have practical application in matters of war. In that regard, my people excel."

He thought about holding Ilana's hand or something to that effect, but it seemed like an unnecessary provocation toward her father, so he simply made himself a little more relaxed in the seat. "However, we are taught by Kahless, First and Most Unforgettable of the Klingon Empire, to train both the mind and the body. Both are useless weapons, if allowed to atrophy. It is in him that I find my inspiration, as Kahless was both warrior and philosopher."
Back to top Go down
Ilana Telak
Ensign
Ensign

Purple Heart

PostSubject: Re: Apples Don't Fall Far From the Tree [Raynor/Ilana]   Apples Don't Fall Far From the Tree [Raynor/Ilana] - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 21, 2015 5:41 pm

Raynor Hughes wrote:

Now Raynor could see where most of Ilana's gentle temperament came from.  While he adoration for her father was obvious, she tended to take after the mother.  Raynor glanced back over at Vonar, who was still watching him over the rim of his teacup.  It wasn't that he blamed the man.  Hell, if Raynor had a child, would he want them bringing someone like him home?  Likely not.  Ilana made him a better person, yes, but still...

"You needn't ask forgiveness for speaking a truth," he said, setting his cup down on the center table.  "The Warrior caste has ruled the Empire for so long, the Thinking set often get ignored.  It is an unfortunate reality that many in the High Council only look toward the sciences that have practical application in matters of war.  In that regard, my people excel."  

He thought about holding Ilana's hand or something to that effect, but it seemed like an unnecessary provocation toward her father, so he simply made himself a little more relaxed in the seat.  "However, we are taught by Kahless, First and Most Unforgettable of the Klingon Empire, to train both the mind and the body.  Both are useless weapons, if allowed to atrophy.  It is in him that I find my inspiration, as Kahless was both warrior and philosopher."

"Fascinating," Kattel replied, sipping her tea. She looked genuinely interested in what Raynor had to say, having always had a bit of a fascination with other cultures. Ilana smiled at her mother, taking a seat next to Raynor and snuggling into his side. Vonar's expression shifted slightly to one of mild disapproval, but he said nothing. Kattel actually smiled at them. "Cardassian society used to be much the same. I'm glad to say that they seem to be putting a little more emphasis on the sciences that don't lead into the military now that the Depata Council is in charge."

"Many of the Cardassian Union's advancements were due to the need for ressources," Vonar added to his wife's words. "Some of us regret what we did in that necessity." Kattel leaned foward in her seat, putting a hand on her husband's knee and offering him a reassuring smile. The look she received in return as he placed his hand over hers was soft. Ilana also smiled at her parents, pleased to see them happy together.

The moment was soon over as Kattel then sat back up again, looking back to the other couple in the room. "How is... let me remember its name... Squeetoo? How is it getting on?"
Back to top Go down
Raynor Hughes

Raynor Hughes

PostSubject: Re: Apples Don't Fall Far From the Tree [Raynor/Ilana]   Apples Don't Fall Far From the Tree [Raynor/Ilana] - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 21, 2015 6:14 pm

Ilana Telak wrote:

"Fascinating," Kattel replied, sipping her tea.  She looked genuinely interested in what Raynor had to say, having always had a bit of a fascination with other cultures.  Ilana smiled at her mother, taking a seat next to Raynor and snuggling into his side.  Vonar's expression shifted slightly to one of mild disapproval, but he said nothing.  Kattel actually smiled at them.  "Cardassian society used to be much the same.  I'm glad to say that they seem to be putting a little more emphasis on the sciences that don't lead into the military now that the Depata Council is in charge."

"Many of the Cardassian Union's advancements were due to the need for ressources," Vonar added to his wife's words.  "Some of us regret what we did in that necessity."  Kattel leaned foward in her seat, putting a hand on her husband's knee and offering him a reassuring smile.  The look she received in return as he placed his hand over hers was soft.  Ilana also smiled at her parents, pleased to see them happy together.

The moment was soon over as Kattel then sat back up again, looking back to the other couple in the room.  "How is... let me remember its name... Squeetoo?  How is it getting on?"

Despite the chill in the air emanating from her father, Ilana seemed to have no problem showing her affection for Raynor. Shouldn't be surprising, though, he thought. She *does* have a warrior's heart. "War does often drive ingenuity. Take, for instance, the late conflicts with the Borg. Fifteen years of fighting. But we made technological bounds in the interim." The kolar beast in the center of the room was the obviousness of the Dominion War, but...well. Probably not the best thing to bring up, right now.

He took another sip of tea, very nearly choking on it at the mention of his weeper plant. "Uh. Yes...yes ma'am." He was honestly more rattled at the fact that Ilana's parents knew the name of his plant than the fact that she had been openly frank about their sexual activities. Just slightly. "SqueeToo is...well. Hungry as ever," he said, giving the Cardassian girl beside him a sideways glance.
Back to top Go down
Ilana Telak
Ensign
Ensign

Purple Heart

PostSubject: Re: Apples Don't Fall Far From the Tree [Raynor/Ilana]   Apples Don't Fall Far From the Tree [Raynor/Ilana] - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 21, 2015 6:43 pm

Raynor Hughes wrote:
Despite the chill in the air emanating from her father, Ilana seemed to have no problem showing her affection for Raynor.  Shouldn't be surprising, though, he thought.  She *does* have a warrior's heart.  "War does often drive ingenuity.  Take, for instance, the late conflicts with the Borg.  Fifteen years of fighting.  But we made technological bounds in the interim."  The kolar beast in the center of the room was the obviousness of the Dominion War, but...well.  Probably not the best thing to bring up, right now.

He took another sip of tea, very nearly choking on it at the mention of his weeper plant.  "Uh.  Yes...yes ma'am."  He was honestly more rattled at the fact that Ilana's parents knew the name of his plant than the fact that she had been openly frank about their sexual activities.  Just slightly.  "SqueeToo is...well.  Hungry as ever," he said, giving the Cardassian girl beside him a sideways glance.

At the apparent discomfort Raynor seemed to be experiencing, all three Cardassians laughed, (well, Vonar smiled). Ilana smiled up at the Klingon, hoping to take a bit of the sting out of it. Kattel also smiled at him.

"You'll have to excuse us, Mr Hughes. We Cardassians are known for our eidetic memories, and Ilana keeps nothing from us," she said in reassurance. "You have nothing to be embarrassed about. It isn't uncommon in our culture for three or four generations of a family to live under one roof, even for families with a more... habitual life than ours. Knowing about each other's business is normal for us, I'm afraid."

Before she could continue, a soft bleeping sound came from the kitchen. "Ah, that sounds like dinner's ready," Kattel anounced. "Mr Hughes, I could use a strong man to help me out. Shall we let Ilana and Vonar catch up for a few minutes?"
Back to top Go down
Raynor Hughes

Raynor Hughes

PostSubject: Re: Apples Don't Fall Far From the Tree [Raynor/Ilana]   Apples Don't Fall Far From the Tree [Raynor/Ilana] - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 21, 2015 9:34 pm

Ilana Telak wrote:

At the apparent discomfort Raynor seemed to be experiencing, all three Cardassians laughed, (well, Vonar smiled).  Ilana smiled up at the Klingon, hoping to take a bit of the sting out of it.  Kattel also smiled at him.

"You'll have to excuse us, Mr Hughes.  We Cardassians are known for our eidetic memories, and Ilana keeps nothing from us," she said in reassurance.  "You have nothing to be embarrassed about.  It isn't uncommon in our culture for three or four generations of a family to live under one roof, even for families with a more... habitual life than ours.  Knowing about each other's business is normal for us, I'm afraid."

Before she could continue, a soft bleeping sound came from the kitchen.  "Ah, that sounds like dinner's ready," Kattel anounced.  "Mr Hughes, I could use a strong man to help me out.  Shall we let Ilana and Vonar catch up for a few minutes?"

"Indeed," Raynor said, allowing an amused smile to play across his lips. Despite the elder Telak's obvious dislike of him, he was finding Ilana's family to be quite personable. "Klingon families operate in much the same fashion, with members of the House living within a single compound. Not always, though." He finished off his cup of redleaf tea, setting it down carefully on the coffee table. "I did not grow up on the Homeworld, though. I was raised on the Federation colony of Archanis IV. I did not see Kronos until I was a teen." Raynor deliberately used the FedStandard pronunciation of the Klingon Homeworld. The last thing he needed to do was start speaking Klingonaase and sound dangerous.

Nodding, he took up his teacup with him and followed Ilana's mother into the kitchen. "Of course, Mrs. Telak. You need only speak and it will be done."
Back to top Go down
Ilana Telak
Ensign
Ensign

Purple Heart

PostSubject: Re: Apples Don't Fall Far From the Tree [Raynor/Ilana]   Apples Don't Fall Far From the Tree [Raynor/Ilana] - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 22, 2015 2:58 am

Raynor Hughes wrote:

"Indeed," Raynor said, allowing an amused smile to play across his lips.  Despite the elder Telak's obvious dislike of him, he was finding Ilana's family to be quite personable.  "Klingon families operate in much the same fashion, with members of the House living within a single compound.  Not always, though."  He finished off his cup of redleaf tea, setting it down carefully on the coffee table.  "I did not grow up on the Homeworld, though.  I was raised on the Federation colony of Archanis IV.  I did not see Kronos until I was a teen."  Raynor deliberately used the FedStandard pronunciation of the Klingon Homeworld.  The last thing he needed to do was start speaking Klingonaase and sound dangerous.

Nodding, he took up his teacup with him and followed Ilana's mother into the kitchen.  "Of course, Mrs. Telak.  You need only speak and it will be done."

Kattel lead Raynor through to the kitchen, keying off the timer before moving over to what looked like an open range with a low fire burning in its grate. Turning above it on a spit was what appeared to be a small deer. Pans with various vegetables had been distributed over the range, their distance varying depending on the temperature that they needed to cook. There was a replicator along with more conventional equipment in the kitchen, but it soon became apparent that the Cardassian preferred a more rustic approach. She picked up one of the pots, starting to baste the meat.

"I know that Ilana doesn't eat much, but I suspect that you have quite the hearty appetite, assuming dealing with my husband hasn't put you off," she said, stirring one pan of vegetables. She turned to give the Klingon a smile. "Give him some time to get used to you. He's not usually that abrasive unless he perceives a threat."
Back to top Go down
Raynor Hughes

Raynor Hughes

PostSubject: Re: Apples Don't Fall Far From the Tree [Raynor/Ilana]   Apples Don't Fall Far From the Tree [Raynor/Ilana] - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 22, 2015 7:33 am

Ilana Telak wrote:

Kattel lead Raynor through to the kitchen, keying off the timer before moving over to what looked like an open range with a low fire burning in its grate.  Turning above it on a spit was what appeared to be a small deer.  Pans with various vegetables had been distributed over the range, their distance varying depending on the temperature that they needed to cook.  There was a replicator along with more conventional equipment in the kitchen, but it soon became apparent that the Cardassian preferred a more rustic approach.  She picked up one of the pots, starting to baste the meat.

"I know that Ilana doesn't eat much, but I suspect that you have quite the hearty appetite, assuming dealing with my husband hasn't put you off," she said, stirring one pan of vegetables.  She turned to give the Klingon a smile.  "Give him some time to get used to you.  He's not usually that abrasive unless he perceives a threat."

Raynor nodded graciously at his host, smiling softly at the mention of Ilana's eating habits. "No, she does not eat enough. I am taking steps to correct that, but...it is quite a process." He felt as if he didn't need to go into great detail about how emaciated she had been not too long ago. Knowing how open Ilana was with her parents, she'd probably already told them.

The Klingon took an appreciative smell at the roasting meat, grinning at Kattell. "It looks wonderful, ma'am," he said, taking a position next to a window, in case she actually did need him for something. "Her father's trepidation is not unwarranted. My people often do not make even appropriate dinner guests, let alone a suitor for someone's daughter. When dealing with Klingons, the assumption of threat is always the wisest course of action."

Raynor sighed, rubbing the brow of his ridges. "Forgive me. Speaking as a Klingon is often something that is difficult to...well, stop doing." Turning from the window, Raynor nodded in Kattell's direction. "Her father's mind is clear enough on this issue. What do you think of it?"
Back to top Go down
Ilana Telak
Ensign
Ensign

Purple Heart

PostSubject: Re: Apples Don't Fall Far From the Tree [Raynor/Ilana]   Apples Don't Fall Far From the Tree [Raynor/Ilana] - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 22, 2015 7:51 am

Kattel tutted at the Klingon, tasting a sauce from one of the pans. "Vonar will come round. Just give him some time to see how happy Ilana is with you." She stirred the sauce, adding a herb of some sort from a small bowl to the side before stirring it again. "I won't lie. I wasn't all that happy whwn she told us about your relationship, but seeing you together, how you behave with each other, has changed my mind." Taking a clean spoon, she took a bit of the sauce and handed it to Raynor. "Let me know if that's too spicy." She then smiled slightly, the skin around her eyes crinkling. "Will you let an old woman give you a bit of advice?"
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Apples Don't Fall Far From the Tree [Raynor/Ilana]   Apples Don't Fall Far From the Tree [Raynor/Ilana] - Page 3 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Apples Don't Fall Far From the Tree [Raynor/Ilana]
Page 3 of 9Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next